Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> After Action Report >> RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 8:36:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

Armies and Corps

The next message looks important. I am being told that the 'Moore Army Reform' option looks handy. I have 1 Army and 0 Corps on map, but am allowed +2 and +9 respectively (plus up to 1 Corps each year) with that option. I must remember that.

The GUI is not obviously intuitive. I clicked on a fleet counter and now cannot work out how to get back to the messages screen. I have had a look at the manual but I cannot see how to get out of the screen other than to press ESC, which then takes me out of the game and I have to press resume again. There must be a better way?

It *is* important. Whatever you do, don't get Moore killed.

Right click and the unit display will disappear.
warspite1

Ahhhhhh!!!! so that is good. Simple right click and the current display disappears. Also when moving around to various off-map sites (e.g. from the Strategic Atlas) then a simple click on the mini-map in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

I have issued orders for General Moore to be taken to a safe-house in Central London and, upon arrival, for him to be wrapped up in cotton wool until 1816.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 31
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 8:44:38 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

England expects that Warspite will do his duty and smite the Corsican Ogre.

Don't forget about the Ageod Forums. http://www.ageod-forum.com/forum.php
warspite1

Well with me in charge I think that is unlikely, but hope springs eternal Baldrick

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 32
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:14:17 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

British Army and the Royal Navy

Royal Navy

The manual seems to have references to the Navy tacked on to the Land Forces explanation. I assume therefore that unless stated in these short paragraphs, the rules are the same....

Leaders, Other Units and Elements (Navy)

The manual highlights the importance of good leadership. So first off I need to understand more about the Admirals in the Home Fleet (unlike the Boulogne Observers there are two in the former). Presumably this is to do with the size of the respective fleets?

Admiral Lord Keith Rating 5-4-5 (3-Star)
Seniority 1
Can lead units this turn

Rear-Admiral Cornwallis 5-3-3 (1-Star)
Seniority 7
Can lead units this turn

The numbers above relate to Strategic (this determines command radius and combat power) - Offensive - Defensive.
Strangely I cannot see from the manual what these three numbers range from - but assume its up to 7 based on the factors given for Nelson?

As with the ship units, there is a ton of other stats - experience, cohesion, Initiative, Discipline etc for each Admiral.

Command Points and Stars

The Home Fleet also has a 'Required Command' of 10 and a 'Provided Command' of 16. I have done a word search in the manual but cannot see reference to these terms. However there is a reference to Command Cost and I see that a Squadron has a cost of 1 to 4. Command Points are available dependent upon rank.

As a 3-Star Admiral, Keith has 12 Command Points (Provided Command) and Cornwallis as a 1-Star has 4 Command Points. So how does the Required Command figure get made up? Note 16 is the maximum regardless of the type and number of leaders in the Stack.

Each Squadron has a Command Cost (left-click on the Unit brings the following information up):

Elements: 4
Overall Combat Strength: 226
Supply: 90 Ammo: 85
Avge Cohesion 90/90
Command Cost: 3
Transport Capacity: 4

Totalling the command cost of the various squadrons = 10.

So the Hibernia Squadron is a Unit of the Home Fleet Stack and there are four individual ships - Elements - within the Unit of which HMS Hibernia is one. Elements cannot be manipulated separately.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/28/2016 3:13:09 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 2:00:02 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

Royal Navy

The Royal Navy need to keep fleets at sea to blockade the enemy within their ports. How do they replenish supplies? There are two types of supply to worry about.

- Ammunition (which has to be done in port)
- General Supply (which can be done at sea using transports (so that is why the Home Fleet had the 1st Transport Squadron attached!) - and if adjacent to a land region with a stockpile - does that mean even without a transport?

A lack of supply affects Cohesion and leaves units vulnerable to hits as well as severe combat penalties for a lack of Ammunition. General rule - Units have enough General Supply and Ammunition for two turns and two battles [don't know if this is also naval units - I do not know how long it takes to fill a Transport?].

I just put the Home Fleet into the middle of the Channel (so not adjacent to the English coast), removed the Transport Squadron and moved the turn forward three turns. I then moved the fleet into the Atlantic. However, my General Supply situation has not changed. I have the same message:

You are at 99% of your maximum food and water capacity. Your current stock is 688 points and your usage is 99/turn. Why has this not reduced given that I have no obvious method of re-supply?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/28/2016 4:15:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 6:41:25 PM   
Ostwindflak

Each one of the ships in your screenshot (I assume this is the fleet in question here) has a small yellowish box in the bottom left corner of each ship portrait. If you hove your mouse over it, a tooltip should appear telling you it is either a small or large transport.

Even though you remove the dedicated transport ships, these other ships can still supply themselves for a time with what they carry in their holds. Over time and with offensive style orders (such as loki100 mentioned) the food and water stocks will start to dwindle. Having dedicated transport ships with large holds will extend the operation time of your ships for longer voyages.

*edit* P.S. Glad you are doing an AAR. I like reading you and Aurelian's AARs. I've often though of doing one myself someday. First I would need a program to take screenshots and edit them and such.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 3/28/2016 6:43:07 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 7:11:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Each one of the ships in your screenshot (I assume this is the fleet in question here) has a small yellowish box in the bottom left corner of each ship portrait. If you hove your mouse over it, a tooltip should appear telling you it is either a small or large transport.

Even though you remove the dedicated transport ships, these other ships can still supply themselves for a time with what they carry in their holds. Over time and with offensive style orders (such as loki100 mentioned) the food and water stocks will start to dwindle. Having dedicated transport ships with large holds will extend the operation time of your ships for longer voyages.

*edit* P.S. Glad you are doing an AAR. I like reading you and Aurelian's AARs. I've often though of doing one myself someday. First I would need a program to take screenshots and edit them and such.
warspite1

Thanks Ostwindflak. Unless I am missing this information, I find the manual to be somewhat light on this type of stuff. Having seen your answer I can see the reference to tiny transport, Level 1 and that this applies to all elements of the stack. So I guess each ship (element) has its own supply/transport unit? If so, what is the point of the Transport Squadron? and, more importantly, is the amount of supply affected by the distance from a Home Port? If these ships are not going back and forth to port automatically why wasn't the supply level going down?

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 36
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 7:24:29 PM   
Ostwindflak

Each stack can supply itself for a short time with the supplies it can hold onboard. Since the cargo holds in warships are rated as "tiny", the longer you are out at sea/the further you move from a supply base (port), the faster the cohesion and supplies will diminish. A transport Squadron will usually have ships that have "Large" cargo holds. These combined with your warships will allow a fleet to stay out to sea for much longer periods of time and also allow them to sail a lot further and not lose cohesion and supply as fast.

Think of it in terms of a fleet heading from Portsmouth to say Malta in game. They can do it on their own without dedicated transport ships, but when they arrive they will most likely be in such bad shape that it will take several turns for their cohesion/hits/supplies to replenish before the fleet is of any use to you.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:02:44 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Say Wut?

signed

The Corsican Ogre.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 38
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:10:12 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

The Home Fleet also has a 'Required Command' of 10 and a 'Provided Command' of 16. I have done a word search in the manual but cannot see reference to these terms. However there is a reference to Command Cost and I see that a Squadron has a cost of 1 to 4. Command Points are available dependent upon rank.

Required command is how many command points you need to lead the stack without penalty.

Provided command is how many command points he has in total.

You suffer a combat .penalty if you go over the provided command. Can be as high as 35%

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/28/2016 9:16:57 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:13:24 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Thanks for reading mine :) I'm trying to put in more detail without giving the game away.

Oh, I the Paint program that comes with Windows.

ps, I like Warspite1's AARs too.

Post #: 40
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:33:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Say Wut?

signed

The Corsican Ogre.
Duke of Wellington

Hey shortarse - get the ^&*! off my thread!

Signed

The Iron Duke

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 41
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:34:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Each stack can supply itself for a short time with the supplies it can hold onboard. Since the cargo holds in warships are rated as "tiny", the longer you are out at sea/the further you move from a supply base (port), the faster the cohesion and supplies will diminish. A transport Squadron will usually have ships that have "Large" cargo holds. These combined with your warships will allow a fleet to stay out to sea for much longer periods of time and also allow them to sail a lot further and not lose cohesion and supply as fast.

Think of it in terms of a fleet heading from Portsmouth to say Malta in game. They can do it on their own without dedicated transport ships, but when they arrive they will most likely be in such bad shape that it will take several turns for their cohesion/hits/supplies to replenish before the fleet is of any use to you.
warspite1

Okay, well I'll just go with it and keep a close eye on supply so that I don't get caught out.....

Post #: 42
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 9:48:02 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Okay, well I'll just go with it and keep a close eye on supply so that I don't get caught out.....

you'll see when supply is under 100%, There is a supply icon for each stack and it goes into the red as supply dips from 100% to 0% - same for ammo

Now don't tell anybody but heres a secret advanced tip

as fleets usually have more organic supply than they need, and those with large transports especially so. You can use them to support land operations. Basically the land force sends an empty supply wagon out to the fleet - it replenishes from the fleet surplus and can be returned to shore. So over 3 turns an army that has no easy access to supply can resupply from the sea.

Its not infallible - at some stage the supply stock in the fleet will run down, or the fleet encounters a storm etc but its one of the ways in which naval supremacy enables land operations. This trick is standard play in AJE and PoN due to the low supply in some regions but pretty handy in WoN

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 10:00:18 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

Armies and Corps

It *is* important. Whatever you do, don't get Moore killed.

warspite1

I have issued orders for General Moore to be taken to a safe-house in Central London and, upon arrival, for him to be wrapped up in cotton wool until 1816.

Under guard of a crack team of civil servants.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/28/2016 10:18:41 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

Say Wut?

signed

The Corsican Ogre.
Duke of Wellington

Hey shortarse - get the ^&*! off my thread!

Signed

The Iron Duke

"I used to say of him [Napoleon] that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men."

"In this age, in past ages, in any age, Napoleon."

The Duke of Wellington's response on who he thought was the greatest general of all time.

Take that You Rusty Duc.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 45
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 12:01:31 AM   
IdahoNYer

Well Warspite, I too took the plunge and took advantage of the Easter sale. Although I was on the fence, and your trials with updating the patch almost pushed me off.....but your AAR has brought me into the fold!

Appreciate the AAR - keep it rolling!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 46
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 7:33:13 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

British Army

Okay we'll leave the navy for the moment and move onto the small British Army. I have to say, the British Army may be small, but its a wonderful sight to behold! Those names - the Union Brigade , the regimental system , the King's German Legion , ohhhh I need a lie down to recover.

So lets use the main British Army to try and make sense of the rules that pertain to land units. The army is commanded by The Grand Old Duke of York - you know, he of 10,000 men fame - and was for the bulk of the Napoleonic Wars. He is a 3-star general but his ratings are abysmal. Presumably this reflects the fact he had an 'administrative' role and not a combat command?

The 'English Home Army' is based in Winchester at the start of the game and consists of 24 Units.

As we found with the naval units, some of these Units will be further divided into Elements.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/29/2016 6:40:25 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 7:35:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Well Warspite, I too took the plunge and took advantage of the Easter sale. Although I was on the fence, and your trials with updating the patch almost pushed me off.....but your AAR has brought me into the fold!

Appreciate the AAR - keep it rolling!
warspite1

Hi there. Well its certainly not going to be an easy game to learn, but hopefully it will be rewarding! If you have any tips or comment as you play the game please let me know.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 48
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 10:24:56 AM   
Aurelian

If you're playing with no attrition unless you move, don't move the army with harsh weather. You'll take a lot of hits.

If you're playing with historical attrition, you *must* have a unit on a depot to get replacements.

Either way, they can't move if you want them to get replacements.

You also recover cohesion by not moving.

And make sure the posture is set to passive. (green color). That setting has the best chance of getting replacements.

See page 116-117 of the manual. IIRC, the percentages are cumulative.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 49
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 2:19:25 PM   
ess1

Many thanks to Warspite and everyone else for these posts. Enjoyable and rewarding reading.
@Warspite - Pleased you are playing GB. Who knows, if we had failed at Waterloo we could have had The EU sooner

OUT OUT OUT

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 50
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 4:55:14 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: ess1

Many thanks to Warspite and everyone else for these posts. Enjoyable and rewarding reading.
@Warspite - Pleased you are playing GB. Who knows, if we had failed at Waterloo we could have had The EU sooner

OUT OUT OUT

I wonder if he knows that the Iron Duke was...... Irish?

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/29/2016 4:56:15 PM >

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 51
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 5:12:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ess1

OUT OUT OUT

I wonder if he knows that the Iron Duke was...... Irish?

warspite1

I wouldn't tell the Duke that if I were you

If you removed the Irish (and the Scottish) from the British Army, you would not have much of an army to speak of - have a look at the list of Generals from WWII.....

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 52
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 6:40:53 PM   
warspite1

(cont from Post 47)

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

British Army

The first unit in the Stack is Major General Rowland Hill. His Unit contains a number of Elements (nine) - and these are split into:

- Brigades and Battalions
1st Brigade - 1/92 Highlanders, 1/91 Argyllshire, 1/42 Royal Highland
1st KGL Brigade - 1st Light Bn, 2nd Light Bn
Williams Battery - made up of three artillery batteries

The 1st British Infantry Division also contains two infantry brigades and an artillery component. A general (Colville) is in charge of this division but does not have his own Unit. What is the significance of this?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/29/2016 7:11:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 53
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 7:28:11 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

(cont from Post 47)

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

British Army

The first unit in the Stack is Major General Rowland Hill. His Unit contains a number of Elements (nine) - and these are split into:

- Brigades and Battalions
1st Brigade - 1/92 Highlanders, 1/91 Argyllshire, 1/42 Royal Highland
1st KGL Brigade - 1st Light Bn, 2nd Light Bn
Williams Battery - made up of three artillery batteries

The 1st British Infantry Division also contains two infantry brigades and an artillery component. A general (Colville) is in charge of this division but does not have his own Unit. What is the significance of this?

He is commanding the division. If that unit is with him, it won't suffer any penalties.

Your 1* leaders are division commanders. Unlike other games in the Ageod line, you don't need them to combine units into divisions. Nor do you need them to build divisions when you get that ability.

Your 2* leaders are corps commanders. When you get corps.

Your 3* leaders are, you guessed it, army commanders. Though there is no penalty to have a 3* as a corps commander. (Except to his ego.)

The left picture shows the division with Suchet. The right hand is if it is alone.

If the division was in Suchet's stack, but not merged with him, it would still rate a 298.

So it pays to have your 1* leaders merged with a unit

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/29/2016 8:06:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 54
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:25:11 PM   
warspite1

Thanks - that's helpful. So back to the British Army, presumably Colville (because he hasn't got a separate Unit counter) cannot be separated from his division? Also, if I wanted to, could I put General Halkett in charge of the 1st British Division? I have tried dragging and dropping but nothing is happening and I don't know if its because its against the rules or I am just doing it wrong.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/29/2016 8:31:04 PM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 55
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:29:47 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
January 1-7 1805

British Army

Divisions and Corps are not available to anyone but France at the start of the game. Army Reform needs to be passed before the others can purchase these. As seen above there are "divisional units" in existence but these are 'remnants of the old military system'. They should not be broken up because they cannot be re-formed.

I won't look at these further until Army Reform is chosen.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/29/2016 8:31:54 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 56
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:32:45 PM   
Ostwindflak

If the Generals are the same rank (1 star or 2 star Generals etc.) than the commander of a stack will be dictated by their Seniority. If you put a 2 star General into a stack that is currently commanded by a 1 Star General, the 2 Star will become the stack leader (even if the 1 star General has more seniority than the 2 star and this can happen sometimes).

If Colville's stack is actually designated as a Division (meaning it is the 1 actual formed division you start the game with, do not break it up. You will not be able to reform it again until you do military reforms later in the game). There could be a couple of reasons why you can not move Halkett. Without a screen shot it is hard to tell.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 3/29/2016 8:34:28 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 57
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:36:10 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Thanks - that's helpful. So back to the British Army, presumably Colville (because he hasn't got a separate Unit counter) cannot be separated from his division? Also, if I wanted to, could I put General Halkett in charge of the 1st British Division? I have tried dragging and dropping but nothing is happening and I don't know if its because its against the rules or I am just doing it wrong.

You can split Colville from the division, but.....

Do *NOT* split him. It will break up the division. What you normally do is click on the tent icon then the split unit icon. (I just loaded a game and split him. So DON'T DO IT!!!)

Halkett has less seniority than Coleville, so he can't

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/29/2016 8:58:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:55:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Do *NOT* split him. It will break up the division. What you normally do is click on the tent icon then the split unit icon. (I just loaded a game and split him. So DON'T DO IT!!!)

You can move the division to Halkett. But if he has a red bar across his picture, that means he can't move until unlocked.
warspite1

So I just tried giving Halkett Divisional Command - and his rating went horribly bad..... that looks like a rubbish thing to do!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 59
RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) - 3/29/2016 8:58:51 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can move the division to Halkett. But if he has a red bar across his picture, that means he can't move until unlocked.
warspite1

So I just tried giving Halkett Divisional Command - and his rating went horribly bad..... that looks like a rubbish thing to do!

His ratings will return next turn.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/30/2016 12:49:07 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> After Action Report >> RE: Nelson, Wellington and.. er Warspite (God help us) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI