Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/12/2017 11:37:12 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: wepen007

On your new resources, will the AI be able to handle them and still play a good game?

That I will be testing for as the resources are added..... but ... simply the answer is Yes.
There are 70 races that can become AI and at least another 50 -100 on worlds that may form an Empire if you have that option selected.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/13/2017 3:58:29 AM >

(in reply to wepen007)
Post #: 571
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/13/2017 4:44:59 AM   
rjord2021

The last of the playable races will be added in the next few hours.

A selection of races are those that appeared in Enterprise, TNG or DS9 and the appearance of these races are modified to show how they appeared one hundred years later or 100 years before they appeared on tv.

None of the characters from Enterprise, TNG or DS9 will appear in this mod except for Guinan who was living in the Kirk era as well.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 572
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/13/2017 3:41:15 PM   
rjord2021

Before your ships can explore the galaxy you will need 2 different types of water as resources:

: Normal Water
: Seawater

Water is essential to keep the ship crew hydrated but is also important for hygiene and cooking amongst other uses. The Vulcans would never be able to prepare the various soups such as Plomeek Soup or even make Relen tea without a good supply of water.

Seawater is an essential resource needed to provide fuel for your warp engines by producing slush-deuterium. Without seawater your ship would not be able to use either your warp engines or your impulse engines and your ship would be dead in the water.

Not every world is going to have a ready supply of water and I am working out the abundance you would expect to find on the various types of planets.

Also looking at the resource file for these settings
- IsFuel: Y/N value indicating whether this is fuel resource used in reactors
' - IsImportantPreWarpResource: Y/N value indicating whether this resource is important to have in home system of prewarp empires

Currently with polywater in distant worlds both of these flags are set to No..... in my mod I believe both should be set to Yes....or at least the second one should be.

If I change the 2nd flag from No to Yes what will that do

That Important Prewarp flag ensures you will have a source of the resource in the home system. Basically this is a way to flag any resource that is vitally important to be able to progress the game.

If you are going to mod in new resources that are essential to build ship components in the pre-warp time period, then this flag should be set to Y. Otherwise you may get stuck unable to build new ships.

Looking into details such as this is just some of what I am doing while developing this mod.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/13/2017 3:47:53 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 573
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/13/2017 7:04:13 PM   
rjord2021

The playable races in this mod are not just confined to the all too familiar races you have seen on TV..... I have introduced a number of new races I have developed especially for the mod which range from the sweetest of aliens to terrifying new threats.

Some of the new races I have created are

The Magnosians
The Albinans
The Cortosians
The Lativians
The Deevidian
The Isarian
The Azeron ( Very deadly and aggressive race)
.......and The Moyans

The Lativians and Albinans are ones that I think are really interesting..... almost elvish in appearance but with the technology advanced enough to be a warp capable civilization.

These new races have been designed keeping the concept of The Original Series in mind where the new races are almost human in appearance but with minor or significant differences.

As a developer I am also keeping in mind that Distant Worlds Universe is a game playable by people of all ages so I have added races in that the younger generation may like to choose as a playable race while interesting enough for us older players to enjoy as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/13/2017 11:15:35 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 574
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/13/2017 11:28:46 PM   
rjord2021

Preview of the 72 races that are playable in the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 575
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/15/2017 2:23:35 PM   
rjord2021

With each of the 787 star systems you will encounter in this mod belonging to either the alpha or beta quadrant I am flagging each one of them with the races you may encounter in those systems .

For example, testing the role play yesterday Kirk took a landing party down to the surface of the 3rd planet of the Gamma Xertia system.

When arriving at the Gamma Xertia system the name was not familiar to me however the 3rd planet of the system turned out to be Benzar—the homeworld of the Benzite civilization.

Depending on the game you may never scan the 3rd planet of the system for any one of a number of reasons. If this happens then you will not make First Contact with the Benzites unless they later form their own Empire.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 576
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/15/2017 8:56:52 PM   
rjord2021

I am doing some final tests on my procedure for creating a whole new range of planets for the mod. Once I have this procedure in place I am planning on creating 10 planets a day for a set number of weeks to give a wide variety of planets in the mod.

The gas giants are easy to do but the M-Class Planets with water are a little more difficult but almost resolved.

The process I use is to create a planet and then set its temperature to 9000 degrees and then wait for the planet to cool down. What this does is the intense heat boils away any oceans and seas and then melts down the rock forming a new looking planet once the planet has cooled down.

I then increase the mass of the planet which then starts raising temperature, creating gasses which form the atmosphere and then I add in the water until I have a nice water world.

Then take the planet and put it through photoshop post processing and then add it into Distant Worlds Universe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 577
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/15/2017 9:07:32 PM   
rjord2021

More races have been added to the mod including Q himself who somehow did not get added in the first batch.
Working on how Q will appear in the mod as he can normally go anywhere in space or time without a ship.

Included in the new races are two who will spice up the battles in the galaxy. One species will be a challenge as it has never had any dialog in all its appearances....actually I think that is the same with the other as well. So I will need to work out how these two talk to other species in the quadrant.

Testing of the mod has shown there is an error with one of the race configuration files that randomly throws up an error. Will locate and fix it in the next few days.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/15/2017 9:49:44 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 578
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/15/2017 9:48:38 PM   
rjord2021

Another new race has been added to the mod based on their arrival in Star Trek : Discovery.

Closer to the time when this mod is released I will review the situation. If Star Trek : Discovery has not been aired yet I will modify the race in a way so it does not give away what is coming in the show.

As Discovery is only 10 years before Kirk's era there is no need to age the characters as they would have looked like this as well in TOS.

This will also be the case for any other races from Discovery which are added to this mod.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/15/2017 9:49:25 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 579
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/16/2017 10:45:44 PM   
rjord2021

A lot of work went into the mod in the last 24 hours to change some aspects of gameplay such as adding the new means of unlocking warp drive technology. The prior means of unlocking hyperdrive technology once you had discovered special ruins needed to be changed for this mod and now you discover warp via a specific research process.

The long process of replacing the tech tree with one more suitable to Star Trek is going slowly.
A lot of research is required to complete this.
Currently being done along with research for resources and ship components.

Sounds are being modified in the mod and I am using audicity to create specific sound bytes.
Then Enterprise and other ships in the mod will be firing phasers and photon torpedoes at each other and you will not only see those but you will hear them as well.

The way this mod is designed you are not going to have 30 ships firing phasers at each other making the sound a living nightmare.

Next week I begin creating the dialog for over 75 races featured in the mod.

This will make the mod more realistic as the Klingons and Romulans will sound like Klingons and Romulans and the Borg will not be sayimg the following line:

"We are the Borg.We like the quiet life. And a good game of Todash.How about you?"

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when the Borg said that to me.

Work is still happening with developing realistic planets.
The atmospheres for habitable planets will be created in photoshop.

I originally had more of the races from TNG and DS9 in the mod ...... but I have removed them for the time being with the option of putting them back in before releasing the mod.

There are still a few key races from DS9 and TNG in the mod though they are younger versions of themselves ........

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 580
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/17/2017 6:27:01 PM   
rjord2021

I am using my talents as a writer to script in new dialog for the races in the mod and the Klingons are the first to get new dialog.

Klingons will be true to form as they appear on Star Trek and when you meet them you will know them to be members of an honorable race of warriors.

There will be no nice words from them... no words such as "pleased to meet you" or "We are sorry. There must have been a mixup somewhere."

Klingons are never sorry and they would certainly not tell you even if they were.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/17/2017 7:46:45 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 581
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/17/2017 6:43:57 PM   
rjord2021

An example of the changes to the dialog........

When you contact the Klingons and receive a friendly greeting back from them you will get the following:

"You have a stupid, idiotic smile like everyone else seems to be wearing. Do you also have a tongue? Speak!"

Based on their friendly greeting you can imagine how they will greet you when they are feeling neutral or hostile towards you.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/17/2017 7:47:17 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 582
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/17/2017 7:45:00 PM   
rjord2021

The Klingon dialog has been finished and it is really good. It is amazing the difference changing the dialog makes to the gameplay of Distant Worlds.

The Klingons cannot help but insult you even when they are on friendly terms with your race.
Below is the tail end of their response when the Klingons are accused of attacking your race.

"Instead of provoking us in this way give us the starship captain who claimed we attacked you and we will sentence him and his crew to spend the rest of their lives as our guests on Rura Penthe."

or this reply from an angry Klingon

"The Klingon Empire finds your race unworthy of our attention and you are nothing more than a piece of baktag.
Is there a pile of rotting forshak in here, or is that smell coming from your ugly carcass?"

As I finish each race I do a quick test in the mod and then move on to changing the dialog for the next race.

I am leaving two of the races to the very end as they have not uttered one single word in all the times I have seen them.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/17/2017 8:07:54 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 583
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/18/2017 3:32:57 AM   
rjord2021

We are the Borg.

Lower your shields and surrender your ship.

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

Your culture will adapt to service us.

Resistance is futile.”

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/18/2017 3:35:14 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 584
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/18/2017 5:51:01 AM   
rjord2021

Dialog for the Borg has been added.

How do I work out what phrases are used by races such as the Borg without watching all 21 tv episodes and one movie the Borg were in.

First I google for a list of all episodes the Borg were in.
The first appearance was in the TNG episode Q Who.

Google star trek Q Who transcript and open up the transcript for the episode.

Search the Page for the first line uttered by the Borg and note it down.
Do so for all Borg lines for ever 22 episodes/film they were in.

I then analyze their lines and create a modified and extended script which suits Distant Worlds and work out what the Borg would say if one of their cubes was attacked.

Several hours work but well worth it when you test the new dialog with the Borg sounding like the Borg.

From Q Who transcript

PICARD: Because her people had contact with the Borg, I have requested Guinan to participate in this conference. You are aware of what occurred just now in main Engineering.
GUINAN: Yes.
PICARD: What happened between your people and the Borg?
GUINAN: I wasn't there personally, but from what I'm told, they swarmed through our system. And when they left, there was little or nothing left of my people.
RIKER: Guinan, if they were that aggressive, why didn't the Borg attack? They could have but they didn't.
GUINAN: They don't do that individually. It's not their way. When they decide to come, they're going to come in force. They don't do anything piecemeal.
DATA: Then the initial encounter was solely for the purpose of gathering information.
GUINAN: Yes.
PICARD: How do we reason with them? Let them know that we are not a threat?
GUINAN: You don't. At least, I've never known anyone who did.
WORF [OC]: Captain, we are being hailed.
PICARD: On screen.
(An interior view of the cube, all girders and scaffolding)
PICARD: This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the
BORG: (many voices speaking as one) We have analyzed your defensive capabilities as being unable to withstand us. If you defend yourselves, you will be punished.
PICARD: Counsellor?
TROI: We're not dealing with an individual mind. They don't have a single leader. It's the collective minds of all of them.
PICARD: That would have definite advantages.
TROI: Yes, A single leader can make mistakes. It's far less likely in the combined whole.
Q [on viewscreen]: Picard. Picard, are you sure you don't want me as a member of your crew?
WORF [OC]: Captain, the Borg have locked on to us with some form of tractor beam.
PICARD: We're on our way.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 585
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/19/2017 6:57:30 PM   
rjord2021

Being only 10 years prior to the Kirk era the characters announced so far for Star Trek Discovery have now been added to this mod.... though in different roles than they will be in on the show.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 586
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/21/2017 2:48:41 AM   
rjord2021

The dialog for the Borg has been tweaked a little bit in how they respond to free trade agreements and the such. Normally something the Borg would not entertain as seeking perfection is their ultimate aim.

However I have come up with an idea of how Borg can agree to free trade with the much smaller races while ignoring any idea of trade with the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, etc

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/21/2017 2:49:03 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 587
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/23/2017 3:17:52 AM   
Dakkon7

Can't imagine who would want to do business with the Borg. Not even the Ferengi would do that.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 588
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/23/2017 5:17:12 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dakkon7

Can't imagine who would want to do business with the Borg. Not even the Ferengi would do that.

I will more likely tweak the Borg dialog a little more as I test it.

The races who make contact with the Borg for the first time will not be aware of exactly who the Borg are.

For the mod it would be more realistic if the Borg did not talk assimilation when trying to arrange trade.

I have to come up with a reason for why the Borg would want to trade.
Perhaps it is simpler to code it so that the Borg do not trade with anyone and just focus on assimilation of species in the alpha and beta quadrant.

This period is also a century before Picard met the Borg so will do some research on what the Borg were like 100 years before Picard.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/23/2017 8:22:57 PM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 589
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/23/2017 6:59:11 AM   
Dakkon7

Hmmm... covert assimilation via trade, Sounds familiar. Could be an interesting mechanic if it could be implemented successfully. But I don't know if the Borg would bother with it, they could just send one large cube to assimilate an unsuspecting faction if they wanted.

< Message edited by Dakkon7 -- 2/23/2017 7:00:06 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 590
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/23/2017 8:11:50 PM   
rjord2021

Speaking of the Borg....

The new Star Trek comic series titled Boldly Go started last October and deals with events in the Alternate Universe months after the movie Star Trek Beyond.

What is of interest in this new series is that the first comic introduces the arrival of the Borg to the alternate timeline and it has given me a few ideas on how the Borg should be in this mod. Ruthless and deadly of course.

Another interesting thing was a Romulan first Officer on board a Starfleet vessel. As mentioned in this comic a Federation ship entering the Romulan Neutral zone would be seen as an act of war so this means there is no alliance with the Romulans in the alternate timeline ...... yet there is a Romulan First Officer on Kirk's ship...interesting.

The reason given for how a Romulan First Officer could be serving on a Starfleet vessel is entirely acceptable as her entire family were named as traitors to the Romulan Star Empire. I will consider whether she is added to the mod or not.

And finally, the end of Star Trek Beyond shows the ship that was being constructed which would assumedly be the new Enterprise but the comics show that in the meantime the Enterprise crew are on temporary duties on new ships with new roles and Kirk is on a one-year mission on another ship. Gives an idea of how much time it takes to build a new ship.

With what I saw in the comic it gave me an idea for the mod so I am looking at adding that into the mod.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/23/2017 9:32:57 PM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 591
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/24/2017 1:44:28 AM   
darkriot

This is looking great. I cant wait to play it!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 592
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 2:21:36 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkriot

This is looking great. I cant wait to play it!

Thanks darkriot

(in reply to darkriot)
Post #: 593
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 2:24:34 AM   
rjord2021

The new ship added to the fleet.......

Variations of this older ship will be used by Khan Noonien Singh

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/24/2017 3:08:24 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 594
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 3:44:50 AM   
rjord2021

After the Balance of Terror episode where the Romulan prototype Bird of Prey was destroyed, the Romulans fearing an invasion by the Federation arranged a deal with the Klingons which resulted in the Romulans acquiring their own version of the D7 Battle Cruiser as shown below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/24/2017 3:45:07 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 595
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 6:49:15 AM   
rjord2021

Test shot :
Another series of new planets added into the mod.

These are created from scratch and then modified in Photoshop to give the look I am after.
The world shown below has been added to those planets replacing the Desert Worlds in the game.

Believe it or not but this planet was originally Earth until I terraformed it with a new landscape and removed every drop of water except for rivers and dams.

The blue atmosphere is exactly the same as was seen around Tatooine in the opening part of Star Wars Episode IV.

I have also added in a blue tinge around the planet to show the atmosphere surrounding the planet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/24/2017 7:00:33 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 596
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 5:25:31 PM   
rjord2021

More and more planets added to the mod every day.

One of the new water worlds.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 597
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/24/2017 8:46:17 PM   
rjord2021

Coming soon.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 598
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in earl... - 2/25/2017 3:20:35 AM   
Kull

"Downloads will come Ray, downloads will most definitely come"

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 599
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) - 2/26/2017 6:48:57 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

"Downloads will come Ray, downloads will most definitely come"

Thanks Kull :)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 2/26/2017 6:49:13 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (Coming soon in early 2017) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI