Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/7/2017 9:31:56 PM   
rjord2021

Plans to recreate the voyages of the Starship Enterprise
--------------------------------------------------------

When the content of the mod has been added I can then complete accurately placing the map for the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
I was originally thinking a static map would be less challenging however I have a new plan in mind for the mod with real map included.

1 First step was to get the stardate calculation to accurately reflect the calculation used in the episodes
2 As the crew of the Enterprise your first mission would take you to the Great Barrier and eventually arrive at Delta Vega.
3.Paying Role Play you may end up leaving Gary Mitchell and Doctor Dehner on Delta Vega.
4.For each of the 80 episodes of TOS your destination will be marked on the map of the quadrant.
5.It is up to you to locate the planet you need to go to based on where the Enterprise is currently located.
6.While travelling there you could pass through enemy space and be attacked.
7 Before arriving there Starfleet could send you on other missions

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/7/2017 9:32:19 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 661
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/7/2017 10:42:29 PM   
rjord2021

Where to find seawater?
=======================

Seawater is a new resource added to my mod.

The Galaxy Map in Distant Worlds is a vital tool that should be used to get much needed information. In my mod the Galaxy Map is essential.

As I posted a few months back......

Before your ships can explore the galaxy you will need 2 different types of water as resources:

: Normal Water
: Seawater

Water is essential to keep the ship crew hydrated but is also important for hygiene and cooking amongst other uses. The Vulcans would never be able to prepare the various soups such as Plomeek Soup or even make Relen tea without a good supply of water.

Seawater is an essential resource needed to provide fuel for your warp engines by producing slush-deuterium. Without seawater your ship would not be able to use either your warp engines or your impulse engines and your ship would be dead in the water. Deuterium is also extracted from seawater.

Finding standard water in the quadrant will be easy however at the present seawater is harder to find as Distant Worlds is currently placing seawater in the map at a reduced rate. Seawater has been added to this mod among other other resources and components not in vanilla Distant Worlds. When my quadrant map is finished seawater will be found on ocean worlds if they are in your system.... eg Earth in the Sol system.

However until I have the map complete I need to use the Distant Worlds Galaxy map to locate new sources of water as shown below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/7/2017 10:45:16 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 662
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/7/2017 10:54:35 PM   
rjord2021

A lot of research went into the technical specifications of Star Trek ships and the Theory and Components of Warp Drive to work out the components needed for my mod.

Below is a sample of the components used by various sections on a starship.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 663
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/8/2017 12:07:32 AM   
rjord2021

Federation Scout Ships have encountered a new civilization in a distant system.

The Azeron are master engineers and merchants who are expanding their Empire across the quadrant.
They are potentially fierce warriors with ships that can pack a punch.

They have been created as one of the many new races found in the mod and they are a source of good trade if you manage to stay on their good side.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/8/2017 12:10:57 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 664
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/8/2017 6:28:05 PM   
rjord2021

How many characters are in this mod spread across 76 races?

Answer: 6840

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 665
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 2:53:08 AM   
rjord2021

Back in January I added a species into the mod which if encountered may prove to be more dangerous than the Klingons and Romulans combined.

With the galaxy map that comes with the mod this species and the species it is at war with will inhabit a very small section of the Quadrant but the war between them will result in both species expanding out and effecting nearby civilizations.

The Federation may not encounter them for some time but they will have a huge fight on their hand if they do meet the Xenomorphs.

The problem is that the Xenomorph do not speak.

To fix this i have changed the ending of the original Alien movie so that communication between the Xenomorph and other races will be through Ellen Ripley.

Why are the Xenomorph in this mod?
This is a nod to the Star Trek crossover comics over the years including the soon to be released Star Trek Vs. Aliens Crossover Comics.

The picture below is a work in progress of a scene I have created in photoshop with Ripley and a Xenomorph.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/9/2017 2:57:59 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 666
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 3:00:59 AM   
Dakkon7

It's a pleasure reading through your updates for the mod. Glad you're still working at it.

Edit: I can't believe a crossover between aliens and star trek actually exists.

< Message edited by Dakkon7 -- 4/9/2017 3:06:31 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 667
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 3:24:22 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dakkon7

It's a pleasure reading through your updates for the mod. Glad you're still working at it.

Edit: I can't believe a crossover between aliens and star trek actually exists.

Yes this will be interesting.
My understanding is that the Borg will try to assimilate the Xenomorphs and the Enterprise and Romulans will have to deal with the Borg-Xenomorph merge.

This comic will be set in the Picard era and not the Kirk era.

With my mod I have the Xenomorph battling the Predators in an isolated part of the Quadrant and it will be interesting to see the result of that especially if Klingons, Romulans and Federation take sides.

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 668
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 5:15:43 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Back in January I added a species into the mod which if encountered may prove to be more dangerous than the Klingons and Romulans combined.

With the galaxy map that comes with the mod this species and the species it is at war with will inhabit a very small section of the Quadrant but the war between them will result in both species expanding out and effecting nearby civilizations.

The Federation may not encounter them for some time but they will have a huge fight on their hand if they do meet the Xenomorphs.

The problem is that the Xenomorph do not speak.

To fix this i have changed the ending of the original Alien movie so that communication between the Xenomorph and other races will be through Ellen Ripley.

Why are the Xenomorph in this mod?
This is a nod to the Star Trek crossover comics over the years including the soon to be released Star Trek Vs. Aliens Crossover Comics.

The picture below is a work in progress of a scene I have created in photoshop with Ripley and a Xenomorph.

Heh I made a mod awhile back, so you can play this alien species and kill everything in the galaxy. Btw I like the galaxy background you have up there, showing blue lightning effects.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 4/9/2017 5:19:30 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 669
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 5:56:52 PM   
rjord2021

Creating the characters for the Tholian Assembly was a difficult job considering that the only named Tholian was Loskene which appeared in the original script for "The Tholian Web" but not in the episode itself.

So a little research was required and the naming conventions for Tholians indicated that all of their names ended with "ene".

So all 100 Tholian characters appearing in the mod have been created following this conception.

For example the Leaders of the Tholian Assembly in the mod are as follows:

Yypaviene (First Leader)
Aidabaene
Renewyene
Iisesene
Dozyviene
Vubusene
Kyrevyene
Lixylyene
Terizaene
Tovoteene

Loskene is in the mod as a ship commander.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/9/2017 5:57:12 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 670
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 8:04:34 PM   
rjord2021

A few more playable races will be added to the mod such as The Benzite shown below with the new TOS era uniform I have designed for the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 671
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/9/2017 11:05:39 PM   
rjord2021

The next stage is to add in 350 bases to cover the 3 different spaceports, the mining station the generic base, the resort base and the gas mining station for the 50 ship groups in the mod.

Below is a test of the Klingon base that will appear in the mod

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 672
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/10/2017 5:25:47 PM   
rjord2021

The mission of the starship Enterprise is to explore strange new worlds and seek out new civilizations......

But some civilizations are best not discovered.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 673
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/10/2017 6:40:46 PM   
rjord2021

The Enterprise meets the Ori in uncharted space.....

The Ori are a hostile race who will defend their space with heavily shielded battleships and weapons the Federation has not yet encountered.

As you can see by the text in the picture below this is an example of the files in the mod configured for those of you who play the mod as Captain Kirk commanding the USS Enterprise.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 674
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/10/2017 10:03:48 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1Below is a test of the Klingon base that will appear in the mod

Nice. Very cool looking base!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 675
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/11/2017 2:21:25 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1Below is a test of the Klingon base that will appear in the mod

Nice. Very cool looking base!

Thanks Kull.......

I am working on 8 other bases for this mod.

:)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 676
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/11/2017 9:59:03 AM   
rjord2021

Working on adding 100 characters to a race I have been looking forward to working on.

Some of the characters that will appear in this race:

- Beserker
- Bull
- Scar
- Chopper
- Greyback
- Guardian
- Ram
- Scout
- Snake
- Tracker
- Wolf
- Scarface

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 677
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/11/2017 5:30:12 PM   
rjord2021

A decade prior to the Kirk era the Bolian world was thrown in turmoil when two warring species of a neighboring system,the Iren and Uzor, entered Bolian space. The Bolian civilization was divided with 1 nation supporting the Iren and the other nation supporting the Uzor.

At the time of this mod the Iren and Uzor had not yet arrived in Bolian space.

The Bolians have been added into the mod as the 78th playable race.

Both the Iren and Uzor have not been seen in Star Trek yet and I have created my impression of what these 2 civilizations look like.

The Iren and Uzor will bring the mod to 80 playable races.

Work in progress - The Bolian I have photoshopped for this mod on the stormy ocean world Bolarus IX

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/11/2017 5:43:50 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 678
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/13/2017 11:56:26 AM   
rjord2021

The Breen have been added to the mod and they will be portrayed as the dangerous warriors that they are.

Many underestimate the Breen and the Klingons were the first to discover how dangerous the Breen were.
History shows that the Klingons had sent a fleet of warships to invade the Breen home-world but the fleet never returned and was never heard from again.

In DS9 the Romulans and the Federation had difficulty defending themselves from the Breen.

With this in mind the Breen had to be included in the mod.

The picture below is work in progress showing the Breen homeworld.... a class P world covered in water ice.

Now to be honest I consider the Breen ship of the TNG era to be the ugliest ship I have ever seen.
So I am making changes to the ship for the Kirk era to give it a more Star Trek ship appearance.
The ships will not be changed drastically but their symmetry will be improved.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 679
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 5:43:27 AM   
rjord2021

One of the many strengths of Distant Worlds Universe is the ability to change what each race thinks of the others.
Using this I can specify for example that the Klingons and Romulans have a natural bias against the Federation.

This is how the classic version of the bias file has been setup.

However, I prefer taking the Enterprise out into space not knowing what to expect.

For example, with the Star Trek map the Vulcan homeworld is in close proximity to the Sol system. If the Vulcans have an extremely negative bias towards the Federation this would be bad news.

The picture below shows the non-classic bias file created using Excel where a random file is created within seconds with bias values ranging between +50 and -50.

Below you can see the Klingons have a negative view of the Federation with the Romulans being even more negative towards us.

With the 18 races shown of the total 82 the Federation would have problems with the:

- Klingons
- Romulans
- Talosians
- Tholians
- The Gorn
- Orion
- Fotiallan (First Federation)
- Metrons
- Capellan
- Halkans

and the Terrans.

In this example of a small selection of the 82 races 55% of the races have a negative bias towards us.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/14/2017 5:50:50 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 680
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 6:36:41 AM   
rjord2021

New Icon added to the map............

When Federation ships are in trouble they will want to head to the nearest of these new icons if they appear in your sphere of influence.

If you go to one of these icons in contested space or space claimed by another Empire your ship may be attacked and destroyed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/14/2017 6:45:17 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 681
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 7:00:47 AM   
rjord2021

As the United Federation of Planets expands its territory the Klingons and Deltans have joined the Federation as members.

If the Klingons were at war with us or at a state of uneasy truce then the picture shows the Neutral Zone between Klingon and Federation space if you do not use the official map.

During times of war you need to make sure your ships do not cross the Neutral Zone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 682
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 8:44:45 AM   
rjord2021

Starship Missions:
-------------------

The picture below shows an example of the starship missions that will appear at the top of the screen.

In this example, Starfleet is requesting a Constitution class starship pick up an ambassador and take them to Bellatrix to improve relations with the Eminarians.

Playing as Captain Kirk, check the Characters screen which will show any ambassadors who are free and able to be picked up by the Enterprise. If there are none available this mission will be assigned to another ship.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/14/2017 8:50:11 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 683
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 7:33:40 PM   
rjord2021

As Federation starships explore the alpha and beta quadrants and discover new worlds and new civilizations, the ship captains will send log information of their missions back to Starfleet Command.

Starfleet will then transmit updated map information to all Federation ships showing newly discovered systems, planets and civilizations.

As the Enterprise explores strange new worlds in Distant Worlds you will see information at the top of the screen to show when your helm has received new map data. See picture below for an example where the first line shows vanilla ruin discovery information still to be replaced while the second line shows the new updated information regarding new maps.

This mod is replacing vanilla events regarding discovered ruins and replacing the events with Star Trek story lines.

You will no longer discover warp technology, new maps or treasures from planetary ruins or abandoned ships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/14/2017 7:39:44 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 684
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/14/2017 9:41:21 PM   
Dakkon7

quote:

Now to be honest I consider the Breen ship of the TNG era to be the ugliest ship I have ever seen.
So I am making changes to the ship for the Kirk era to give it a more Star Trek ship appearance.

Glad to hear it, I completely agree, those ships did not artistically mesh well with the rest of the ships from that era.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 685
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/15/2017 2:42:57 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dakkon7

quote:

Glad to hear it, I completely agree, those ships did not artistically mesh well with the rest of the ships from that era.

The proposed look of the Breen warship for the 23rd century
Still a work in progress
I still need to add shadows and the ship will look better with lights added.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/15/2017 2:45:30 PM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 686
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/15/2017 2:56:11 PM   
rjord2021

I did some research to try and work out why the Breen frigate was designed as shown in the prior picture on the left.
The Breen battleship looks great but the frigate was terrible.

A quote from the original designer of the concept art for the Breen frigate and backing up what I said three days ago about not following Star Trek ship requirements.

"John Eaves quote : Original designer

My initial pass had the ship loosely around the letter 'T'. The story behind the 'T' is that it is the first letter of my fiance's name, Tara. I submitted the drawings and the producers liked the shape and requested more detailed drawings. When these were presented, the producers requested the drawings go a different direction than the original 'T' shape. Therefore, I started designing 'T' ships with a more stylish letter formation – lower case 't's', 't's' hidden among other shapes, etc. Each design sparked enthusiasm with the producers, yet they still wanted to see more fantastic ideas. So, after several more passes, they chose a drawing I didn't think they would choose. It broke all the traditional rules that Star Trek ships are required to meet."

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/15/2017 2:58:18 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 687
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/15/2017 3:24:55 PM   
rjord2021

Before passing a ship as final with no more work to be done on it for the mod, I test the ship in the mod.

Unfortunately the Breen ship looked terrible so back to the drawing board.
I will redesign the ship over the next couple of weeks after researching the Breen a little more.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 688
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/15/2017 4:31:57 PM   
rjord2021

Version 2 of the remodeled Breen starship exclusive to this mod (work in progress)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 689
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/15/2017 5:53:48 PM   
rjord2021

As suggested by the title of this mod, Khan Noonian Singh will play a huge part of this mod and this week I am working on finalizing his placement in the mod as well as finalizing the ships he and his thousands of followers will use.

Based on his history with Earth the racebias file has been set so that Khan will always have a bias against the Federation and I just need to determine the final settings
eg should the bias be between -20 and -50.

Khan and his followers left Earth in 1996 on board the SS Botany Bay.
The events of Space Seed never occurred so Khan was awoken from his stasis unit by someone else instead of the Federation.
The identity of who woke Khan will not be known.

Big change to the mod.......

Khan will not appear as he did in Space Seed.
Instead of being woken up by the Enterprise crew in 2267 he was woken by an unknown race 18 years earlier in 2249.

In the 18 years since being woken from the stasis chamber he has had time to build a mighty Empire on a distant planet with a goal to take down the Federation.

I think the older version of Khan is much more dangerous than he was in Space Seed and with 18 years of frequent battles with lone Federation vessels he has gained much experience in combat.

So how will Khan look 18 years later? See the picture below.

This will actually work well considering there are 2 Khans in this mod.

Note that in this mod Khan will not have met Kirk so his anger is directed not at getting revenge from Kirk but is directed at the Federation itself for events prior to 1996.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/15/2017 6:03:17 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI