Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/30/2017 10:59:29 AM   
rjord2021

Some of the new portraits added to the mod.......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 721
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/1/2017 7:46:53 PM   
rjord2021

Every square inch of the Enterprise has been mapped for the Detailed Damage Report system..... example below of source documents.

When your ship takes damage in Distant Worlds the Detailed Damage Report system will tell what parts of the ship were damaged which will determine events that effect your ship in Distant Worlds.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/1/2017 7:47:10 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 722
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/1/2017 9:14:20 PM   
rjord2021

The detailed damage system will monitor the repairs of damaged sections of the Enterprise and will work in the background while you are playing Distant Worlds. You will see a status bar showing status of each damaged section. You will need to refer to the damaged section report before making command decisions. If you have no warp drive you will not be able to leave the system. If you have no impulse engines you are dead in space until they are repaired.

If you took damage near Romulan or Klingon space you might be wanting to get the Enterprise out of danger.... as long as your warp and Impulse Engines were not damaged.

More than one section of the ship and the Engineers under Scotty's command will focus their priority on key systems and get them back online before less important areas. By default work will be prioritized on getting the warp engines back online before repairing damage to the Enterprise's dentist office.

As Captain, you can switch to the Damage System and switch priority to other systems. Example: You may need photon torpedoes before getting warp engines back online.

If your transporter and shuttles are damaged you will not be able to go on landing parties or retrieve landing parties already on the planet surface.

If communications are damaged you will not be able to respond to Starfleet or any incoming transmissions.

If you flag a damaged area you will receive an audible report from Scotty letting you know the system has been repaired.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 723
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/2/2017 10:31:03 PM   
rjord2021

An image to preview what I am working on today.....

In other words.....

Landing Party

Red Alert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 724
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/3/2017 11:28:08 AM   
rjord2021

Every time I play this mod I create a new race bias file which changes the way the different races regard each other.
Creating the new file changes 8464 bias values in around 25 seconds.

If you have excel you will be able to refresh these values every time you play the mod. The file is included in the mod.

In the picture below, the calculations for red and green cells are specifically randomized to show the biases between the Federation, Klingons and Romulans in TOS. In this way the Klingons and Romulans will never be friendly towards the Federation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 725
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/3/2017 12:27:13 PM   
rjord2021

An updated list of the 93 playable races in the mod.......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/3/2017 12:29:44 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 726
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/3/2017 9:18:27 PM   
rjord2021

Scenario

In Distant Worlds Universe the starship Enterprise warps into an unexplored region of space. The red alert klaxon is sounding in the background and Captain Kirk is busy monitoring the ship systems. It is not good. The Enterprise has been attacked by 2 Klingon Battle cruisers and key systems around the ship have been heavily damaged.

Kirk instructs Sulu to get the Enterprise out of there and as the Enterprise arrives in the new system sensors pick up 5 Klingon vessels in close proximity.

In the mod Captain Kirk will access his information screen which shows him a summary of reports from Engineering and Sickbay. Shown below is the Tactical Screen which confirms the Enterprise is at Red Alert.

The screen below shows that while shields and phasers are online the photon torpedoes are offline. Kirk quickly instructs engineering to give priority to repairing the photon torpedoes.

Kirk quickly checks the shields display.... screens are online but rear deflectors are at 54%. Not good. When deflector shields reach a dangerous level the screen will advise the captain to get the ship out of there before the shields collapse.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 727
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/3/2017 9:48:48 PM   
rjord2021

When you arrive in a new system the Enterprise will scan the system and report any starships within range.
Enemy ships will be entered into the tactical display as shown below "5" in the red icon
All other ships will be noted as Friendly.

When you have enemy ships in the system you will need to change your status so the ship is no longer at Green Alert.

However you will not go to red alert yet until you attempt to hail the enemy ships.
Until the situation deteriorates you will move from green alert to yellow alert.

If you move from green alert to red alert without attempting to hail the other ships then the Tactical Display will automatically update the Captain Log that you did not follow Starfleet protocol and negative points will be given to your Command Points. Following Starfleet Protocol will give you positive command points.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/3/2017 9:49:05 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 728
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/3/2017 10:13:54 PM   
rjord2021

Work in progress : Uhuru's communications station.

If any of the 12 communication sections are offline they will be red instead of flashing red, green and yellow. This will reflect damage to the communications system which may prevent communicating with Starfleet, other ships or planetary leaders.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/3/2017 10:17:35 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 729
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/4/2017 6:16:53 AM   
rjord2021

After a battle in Distant Worlds Universe or when a landing party has returned to the ship, there may be anything up to 6 patients in sickbay.

Using the medical interface you can monitor Leonard McCoys treatment of the patients.
If the life sign monitor sounds an alarm then the patients vitals are dropping.
At this stage you can access sickbay and assist McCoy with trying to save the patient.

Each of the 6 life sign monitors will be animated with the life signs of different patients.

The monitor will show the levels for:

- temperature
- brain activity
- lungs
- cell rate
- blood O3 count
- blood T2 count

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/4/2017 7:03:33 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 730
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/4/2017 3:37:01 PM   
rjord2021

Damage Control System
-------------------------

In this mod when the Enterprise takes damage in Distant Worlds Universe you can then access Damage Control to see which sections have damage and which sections are currently being repaired by Engineering.

To do this I need to know which sections are where so that when damage does occur to the ship I know the sections that may be effected.

I am about 95% of the way through the following but below is what I have put together so far for the 24 decks of the starship Enterprise.
Still to add are sections like power relays and main warp power energizers and so on.

With each section damaged you will be notified if the damage effects your ability to use impulse or warp engines, shuttlecraft, transporters, etc

With the damage control every room on every deck of the Enterprise will be numbered so that a specific report is shown indicating exactly which areas have been damaged and how they effect the ship and were any crewmen injured or killed in that area.

Note : The Enterprise will not take damage every time you are in a fight..... it will be determined on a mathematical formula I have which determines shield and were shields fully restored since the last fight with other ships.

Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 2 - Bridge Deck Sections 18Y - 23D, Guest Quarters

Deck 3 - Engineering, recreation room 3, recreation room 6, crewmen lounge, Communications, Photon torpedo banks, Science labs(botanical labs, physics, special studies, cosmology lab)

Deck 4 - Crew quarters, environmental control, auxilary communications juncture

Deck 5 - Sick Bay, Officers Quarters, upper phaser bank room, water circulation pump, air conditioning, electrical switching machine

Deck 6 - Crews Quarters, impulse engines, turbolift maintenance shop,

Deck 7 - Main Deck :impulse engine room, Cargo Storage, Visicoms, duty nurse, medical research lab, medical lab, chief surgeons lab, operating room and examination room, intensive care unit, engineering computers, emergency bridge, library, sensors, small arms arsenal, briefing room, transporter room 1 and 3, mess room, security office, brig, bio chemical lab,

Deck 8 - Emergency Transporter, gymnasium, food preparation facility, freshwater tanks, ships computers, recreation area, locker room, food conveyor, ships computer, emergency bridge, dentist office, ship captain's office, chart room, chief navigators office, general storage, chapel, transporter room 2, transporter room 4

Deck 9 - Dorsal , auxiliary machinery, raw material storage, waste recovery system, non-organic and non metallic fabrication, organic fabrication, non organic metal fabrication, materials reclamation facility

Deck 10 - Dorsal : cargo - raw material storage, cargo hold, cargo transporter,

Deck 11 - Dorsal : Auxilary fire control, forward phaser bank, raw material storage,

Deck 12 - Dorsal : Crew Quarters

Deck 13 - Dorsal , observation lounge

Deck 14 - Transporter Room, Engineering Support, Personnel directors office

Deck 15 - Visicoms, air conditioning machinery

Deck 16 - Doctors offices, medical research lab, reception and nurse station, operating and examining room, post op ward, convalescent wards, intensive care units, medical offices, private rooms, maintenance shops, engineering computers, engineering section, jeffries tube access to main propulsion unit, shuttlecraft hangar, hangar doors, inspection corridor,

Deck 17 - Crew quarters, control tower 1, control tower 2, shuttlecraft hangar, hangar doors,observation gallery

Deck 18 - Hydroponics lab, botany section, mess room, library, crew quarters, shuttlecraft hangar, hangar doors

Deck 19 - Bridge hanger : main sensor and navigational deflector, ship computers, security section, brig, small arms arsenal, shuttle turntable elevator,

Deck 20 - Recreation shuttle maintenance : Sun deck, swimming pool, shower rooms, locker rooms, recreation area, gymnasium, hangar door operating machinery, cargo hold, storage, shuttle turntable elevator, shuttlecraft maintenance shop, emergency battery room,

Deck 21 - Food Preparation Facility, Ship's Laundry, Materials reclamation facility

Deck 22 - Fabrication Facilities : waste recovery system, emergency transporter 1and 2, refrigerated storage, organic fabrication, non organic non metallic fabrication,

Deck 23 - Cargo Storage and Cargo Transporter, tractor beam machinery room, raw material storage,

Deck 24 - Cargo Gallery and Main Tractor Beam

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/4/2017 3:57:37 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 731
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2017 9:47:48 AM   
rjord2021

The last playable race has been added to the mod..... you now get to choose any 1 of 100 playable races in the mod.

For each race the portraits are being redone as shown below where the image on the right is being created in photoshop to be added into the mod.

Perhaps something like Star Trek The Animated Series but 2017 style.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/5/2017 9:52:09 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 732
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2017 1:34:36 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

sincerely speaking I greatly prefer the original pictures to the "photoshopped" version

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 733
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2017 1:52:37 PM   
rjord2021

Some more portraits created for the mod.......

I have had second thoughts about Khan and have taken the character back to the younger version.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 734
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2017 3:39:09 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

sincerely speaking I greatly prefer the original pictures to the "photoshopped" version

The mod will have a folder with the original portraits so you can choose which one you prefer.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 735
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2017 4:48:29 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

The mod will have a folder with the original portraits so you can choose which one you prefer.

GREAT !!!!!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 736
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2017 3:39:04 AM   
Dakkon7

I kind of like the cell shaded look. The Gorn looks out of place though, might want to pose him closer to the proverbial camera.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 737
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2017 4:56:30 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dakkon7

I kind of like the cell shaded look. The Gorn looks out of place though, might want to pose him closer to the proverbial camera.

There are a couple of them I have to bring closer... Concentrating on the look first and then doing the cosmetic stuff later.

While doing these pictures it gives me the opportunity to fix up some other issues.

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 738
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2017 10:35:30 PM   
rjord2021

When creating the dialog for the now 107 playable races I check for the first appearance of that race and then I bring up the transcript for that episode.

So for the Klingons I looked up their first appearance in TOS which was in the episode Errand of Mercy where we meet the character Kor for the first time.
I then base the dialog of Kor in that episode as the dialog for the Klingons.

If the first episode does not contain good dialog with that race I then go to the episode with their next appearance.

So for the Borg for example the dialog was taken from Best of Both Worlds instead of Q Who and the dialog in the mod contains quotes similar to

"Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours."

The Borg have been coded in the bias file to be no be friendly towards all races (random bias set between 0 and -50) so the dialog with them is classic Borg..... unfriendly to say the least.

By using transcripts I can make sure that each race has a Trek Universe Dialog script unique to that particular race.

There will be challenges such as the species on the planet in the Galileo 7 episode.... not the ones throwing rocks but the more advanced Taureans not seen in the episode.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/6/2017 10:36:14 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 739
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2017 5:30:48 AM   
rjord2021

The pilot episode for Star Trek TOS was set on Stardate 1312.4 and thus is the Stardate that this mod begins.

The picture below shows part of the Captain's Interface for this mod which will automatically calculate the correct Stardate using the Distant Worlds Date shown in the top left of the screen. As shown below this is 2100.03.09 when the mod starts.

To calculate the Stardate at any time of the game simply update the date in the left side of the Stardate Calculator and the updated Stardate will show on the right.

The Stardate will be used in various places such as the Captain's Log.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/7/2017 5:31:50 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 740
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2017 7:00:10 PM   
rjord2021

Updated list of playable races in the mod

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 741
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2017 8:03:53 PM   
rjord2021

Vash is one of my all time favorite characters from the TNG era and she is one of the 17 additional playable races added to the mod overnight.

The last time that Vash was seen she had rejected Q and become a business partner with Quark. She was supposed to make more appears in the DS9 episodes but this never happened though she did reappear in a book series.

In the altered timeline of this mod and angered by Vash rejecting him, Q had thrown Vash out of her timeline in 2369 and sent her back to 2264... a time where technology was much more limited making it that much harder if not impossible to be an archaeologist and profiteer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/7/2017 8:05:26 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 742
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2017 7:38:35 PM   
rjord2021

The Galileo 7 is a popular TOS episode where the crew of the shuttle are attacked by Taurean (order 480-G) anthropoid who were were at approximately a Stone Age level of technology and definitely not warp capable.

The faces of the anthropoids were not easily seen in the episode but the pictures available of what they looked like showed them to be fairly ugly looking creatures. The original picture of them was not ideal for this mod however with the portraits I am creating for the mod the Taurean anthropoid looks really good now.

You may ask if the Taurean inhabitants were at a Stone Age level of technology surely they were not warp capable and should not be in the mod as a playable race.

All will be explained in the mod

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 743
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2017 8:48:53 PM   
rjord2021

The character of Saavik appears in the mod in one of the time travel sequences of the mod ..... and not only is she in it but also the Mirror version of her which will be the dangerous and evil Saavik.

In the picture below on the left is the original Saavik. On the right are the 2 options I have for the Mirror Saavik. One being Robin Curtis as Saavik with a scar on her face...and the 2nd option being Kirstie Alley who would play a very good Mirror Saavik.

I will decide before mod release which one of these I go with.....perhaps both of them will be included in the mod and it is up to the player which one they choose.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/8/2017 8:49:47 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 744
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2017 10:05:14 PM   
rjord2021

With the roleplay back stories I have referenced a book called Federation - The First 150 Years which is a good read for those who want to learn more details about Star Trek history.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 745
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/10/2017 6:30:56 PM   
rjord2021

I do have to apologize for this mod taking longer than I thought to release. There is still more to do on the mod before it is released such as at the moment I am converting the resources used in the vanilla mod to resources unique to the Star Trek universe.

For example below is a screenshot from a spreadsheet I am creating in Excel which , as with the race bias file, will allow players who have Excel to generate random resource values in just a few seconds to change how this game is played.

As everyone is aware some areas of Distant Worlds Universe can be very complex and if you look at the resources text file it can actually be hard to understand what each value represents.

To completely replace resources I need to understand what each cell means and how it effects Distant Worlds Universe.
In Excel I put a descriptive row at the top of each column as shown below.

For each resource columns are colored for the many groups of 5 columns showing the prevalence and distribution of the resources for each line.

The resources are replaced with Star Trek resources used in this mod.
Values for those resources are then calculated using formula which changes the prevalence and distribution of the resources every time this spreadsheet is opened.

This is an exercise which will take a day or two to complete but is necessary.

The spreadsheet will also use this data to create a file which will be used in the role play for the trade and black market economy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 746
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/10/2017 7:50:53 PM   
rjord2021

Documentation for this mod including Role Play

This mod is being designed in a way that allows players of Distant Worlds Universe to play as the captain of a starship in the Star Trek Universe. There is a lot of detail going into this mod which hopefully will give all Trekkers an experience they have been waiting for.

I had originally thought to have documentation and everything needed for this mod included in the Library Computer Banks, called the Galactopedia in Vanilla Distant Worlds Universe..... however there is too much information that would need to be added and there was a real danger that it could effect playability of the mod.

I have therefore decided the following:

- In the next few days I will set up a Wikia specifically for this mod which will give detailed documentation and screenshots for how this mod works and how to play this mod in role play.

- The Wikia will explain how to prepare the USS Enterprise for it's 5 year mission under the command of Captain Kirk

- How to transport crew over to the Enterprise and follow procedures to leave Dry Dock.

- Procedure for determining where the Enterprise will go.
(To add randomness to the mod many aspects will be determined by the mod to simulate that what Kirk decides to do may differ from what you want to do.)

- How to respond to communications with Starfleet Command

- How to respond to Distress Signals

- How to transport landing parties to planets or other ships

- How to handle damage to the Enterprise after battle and which areas of the Enterprise have been damaged

- How to determine if crew have been injured or killed during battle.

- and a lot more

By using a dedicated page on Wikia this allows players of the mod to access the documentation outside of Distant Worlds Universe.
You can decide how you access the information in the Wikia that you will need to refer to when playing this mod.
You can refer to the Wikia online, save the Wikia on to your computer or print out the Wikia as a hard copy

As the Wikia is updated you will get a preview of the mod before it is released and ask questions here about how something works in the mod.
This way by the time the mod is released you will have learned how to play it already and start playing straight away.

I may also add a series of Youtube videos showing gameplay of the mod.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 747
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/10/2017 8:36:05 PM   
rjord2021

The Return of Khan Wikia has been setup as shown below.

I will begin adding content to the Wikia starting in the next few days as I work out how the Wikia will work with the mod.

The link to the Wikia has been added to the bottom of my signature

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/10/2017 9:13:45 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 748
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/10/2017 10:32:35 PM   
rjord2021

Before finishing up development on the blog before heading to work.......

I have added my first page to the Wiki page and this can be accessed here.
http://distant-worlds-universe-the-return-of-khan.wikia.com/wiki/Starship_-_Set_Course

This wiki page shows how the USS Enterprise will move around the map when not specifically assigned a mission or responding to a distress signal.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 749
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 12:31:23 AM   
Kull

Just an absolute butt-load of work going into this thing. I have to applaud the effort and dedication. I for one certainly plan "to boldly go where no one has gone before" (well, except probably you!)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI