Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 12:51:24 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Just an absolute butt-load of work going into this thing. I have to applaud the effort and dedication. I for one certainly plan "to boldly go where no one has gone before" (well, except probably you!)

Thanks Kull..... your comment is greatly appreciated.

There have been many times already where I have been going where no one has gone before..... heaps of testing and planning going into this mod.

The great thing about Distant Worlds is how much of it can actually be modded and this is allowing me to create a unique Star Trek experience.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 751
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 1:44:09 AM   
rjord2021

Adding the landing party procedures to the Wiki in the next 24 hours.
Image created for the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 752
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 2:20:14 AM   
rjord2021

Wiki for the mod takes shape with Role Play procedures......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 753
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 5:17:24 AM   
rjord2021

The Wiki for this mod shows more than 97 links I have setup so far on the main page of the Wiki.
These links so far link to non existent pages.

As the new pages are added to the Wiki the links will change from red to Orange.

However when you see the links it will give you an idea on what will be involved with the Role Play in this mod.

Note: This is still a Work in Progress with more links to add and around 150 pages to create.

The address for the Wiki is on the last line of my signature below.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/11/2017 5:50:15 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 754
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 7:16:39 AM   
rjord2021

This afternoon I created the portraits for the Wiki for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Checkov using the same animation technique I have used in the mod.

The cartoon effect is more apparent with the larger picture sizes in the Wiki.
With each character I tried to show something that made their character.

For example, both Spock and McCoy had one eyebrow lifted in classic looks,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/11/2017 8:33:23 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 755
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2017 6:26:00 PM   
rjord2021

Several sections of the Wiki have been completed such as the topic about the map being used to re-create the Star Trek universe in the mod and the section about Spock where we answer the questions such as where is Spock at the beginning of the game, will we see Captain Spock and will Vulcan ever go to war with the Federation.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 756
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2017 3:20:51 PM   
rjord2021

New Federation ship added to the mod...........

Ranger-class starships were Starfleet's primary exploration vehicles of the early 23rd century and when they were replaced by Constitution Class starships such as the Enterprise the Ranger Class took on the role of sector patrol and diplomatic transport.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 757
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2017 5:36:42 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

hi Rjord, I like your "Distant Worlds Universe - The Return of Khan" Wiki !!!!!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 758
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2017 11:27:13 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

hi Rjord, I like your "Distant Worlds Universe - The Return of Khan" Wiki !!!!!

Thanks Hattori

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 759
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2017 11:41:35 PM   
rjord2021

The different components of the Starship Enterprise

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 760
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/13/2017 1:20:18 AM   
rjord2021

The components shown in the design screen of Distant Worlds Universe.

My task over next couple of days is to replace these components with components as seen in the previous post.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/13/2017 1:22:09 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 761
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/13/2017 9:53:25 PM   
rjord2021

This week I will be adding something new to this mod which will make the mod more interesting. I am not going to mention what it is and players will discover it during game play.

For those who wish to use this Federation ships will each have a level of experience assigned during gameplay... Some areas of the galaxy such as disputed areas you only want experienced crews to be scouting and not a rookie crew.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 762
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/13/2017 11:22:54 PM   
rjord2021

The future of the mod
=====================

My plans for the mod are such.

1. Star Trek Online has been out for 7 years and in that time has had 17 updates so that Star Trek Online is now in Season 13. Once this mod is released I plan to have updates for the mod to add new races, ships and role play to the game. Distant Worlds 2 will be released at some stage and the mod will be updated for both DW1 and DW2 while I see interest in them...in other words if the updates are being downloaded the updates will continue.

2. The initial release of the mod will be called 2264 : Season 1 and will take place one year earlier than when Captain Kirk took command of the Enterprise on tv.

3. Star Trek Discovery will not be on TV till later in the year so stories, characters and so on will probably not be in the mod till Season 3 or 4 of this mod.

4. When the mod is released if there are issues which needs minor updates, the updates will be released as Season 1.1 , 1.2 etc

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 763
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/14/2017 9:03:51 PM   
rjord2021

Over the last 26 pages I have made very little mention of the one key character who is central to this mod..... Khan Noonian Singh.

In Space Seed Captain Kirk comes up against perhaps the most dangerous adversary he will ever face in his time in Starfleet and if Gene Roddenberry had realized how popular Khan would become I am sure that the end of Space Seed would have been completely different and we would have seen Khan in more episodes.

In this mod Khan has been awoken by an unknown race and 38 years after fleeing Earth he has made allies with other races who equally hate the very idea of a Federation of Planets.

In 2022 Khan ruled one quarter of Earth's population until Nations combined against him in the Eugenics War four years later forcing him to leave Earth. This sets up Khan's plans to return to Earth to take back what is rightfully his..... complete and utter rule of all of Earth.

Even though Khan has had little mention in this forum be assured he plays a key part in this mod both in Distant Worlds Universe as well as the optional Role Play.

This mod is based on the Federation once again be threatened by a villain whose superior ability breeds superior ambition and threatens to destroy the very principals of the Federation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/14/2017 9:04:24 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 764
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2017 4:15:03 AM   
Dakkon7

Wow, a wiki too? Fantastic work as always.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 765
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2017 8:55:08 AM   
rjord2021

The Wiki is now being added with the systems which will include the multiple events that may occur when the Enterprise arrives in that system.

There are 4 well known systems already added along with others to the Wiki page but they are listed as their official system name and not for example as the Romulan System.
This means that until you get to know the official names you may suddenly end up in Klingon Space and have to get the Enterprise out of there quickly with battle cruisers firing after you.

Systems have been added from TOS between and including the pilot episode and Charlie X.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/15/2017 9:03:59 AM >

(in reply to Dakkon7)
Post #: 766
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2017 6:03:23 PM   
rjord2021

With the wiki I have changed the way that the systems found in the mod are being added to the wiki.

Originally I was looking at adding the systems as they were visited by the Enterprise in each system however this was not the best way of doing it.

So i am now adding to begin with all systems in Federation space, then Romulan space and then Klingon Space.
Once those are added then I will add in the rest of the sectors in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 767
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2017 8:16:52 PM   
rjord2021

The Suliban home-world has been added to the map in close proximity to Klingon space however the planet Suliban in the 34 Fornacis system became uninhabitable in the 1850s so the Suliban moved to Tiburon in the same system.

With the Suliban and Tiburon race sharing the same planet the Tiburon have been added to the mod as a playable race.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/16/2017 8:17:13 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 768
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2017 10:55:00 PM   
rjord2021

The mod will have a manual included for those who would like to print out the reference material used for the role play.
The manual will include the role play tree where events will have different results based on a dice throw and each of those results will have different results based on a second dice throw.

If you do not wish to print the manual you can access the pdf document in the mod or use the search button in the wiki.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 769
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2017 6:40:38 PM   
rjord2021

Still progressing with putting together the systems with the correct names for each system in the Star Trek universe.

Using a custom map for the mod showing the names used in the tv episodes or novels, for each system I look for the official name for that system, add it in a database with a link to the old name so I can refer the old name to the new name at any time.

Then update the Wiki with the official name eg Trill is in the B'hava'el system and then mark the system off my map as completed.

This is a very time consuming process looking at each system one at a time but I am doing it to get the most accurate representation of a Star Trek map that I can make.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 770
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2017 7:00:22 PM   
rjord2021

When playing as the Federation and using the map that comes with the mod you may enter a sector and see a red triangle on the map. This will indicate that as the Federation you should build a starbase, array, outpost, etc at that position.

I need to decide what happens with the Federation presence in the Bajor sector as the wormhole was known to exist even during the Kirk era long before DS9 was constructed.

Terok Nor, the name of the station prior to it being called Deep Station 9, was built in 2346 as a refinery for uridium ore mined from Bajor's surface. With the change of timeline for this mod Terok Nor may exist in this mod.... still to be decided.

Below is a picture of Terek Nor as it may appear in the mod.
Could this be the first mod with Terok Nor ("Deep Space Nine") in it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/17/2017 7:06:56 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 771
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2017 7:36:18 PM   
rjord2021

For an update on where I am with preparing the mod map, the picture below shows the green lines showing the systems researched so far , added to the wiki and flagged to be added to the map for the mod.

Over the next 24 hours I plan to complete Federation systems between the Tholian Assembly and the Klingon Empire.

With the map I may need to add in 3 more races not yet included in the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 772
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2017 11:47:39 PM   
rjord2021

When looking at the map being created for this mod those familiar with Star Trek will see where the Enterprise traveled to under the command of Kirk, and then later Picard.

You will see things like:

- Was Spacestation K-7 closer to Klingon space or that region of space known as the Briar Patch.
- Where was the planet in Klingon space where the Tribbles originated from?
- Where exactly was the planet Nimbus seen in Star Trek V on the edge of Klingon, Romulan as well as Federation space.
- The exact location of Nibiru which was seen in Star Trek Into Darkness and lies between Federation space and the Breen Confederacy.
- With the location of Nibiru does it mean they would more likely be visited by the Federation or the Breen rather than the Klingons or Romulans
- The region of space 2 or 3 sectors wide between Starbase 84 and Starbase 105 where the Klingons have invaded Federation Space sepersting Federation space into 2 seperate regions.
- Which Federation bases in 2265 are called Deep Space Stations, Outposts or Starbases and why the different names?

Chancellor Gorkon was seen in Star Trek VI but back in 2265, the same year Kirk took command of the Enterprise, Gorkon was given a position on the Klingon High Council responsible for monitoring the Federation expansion into the Taurus Reach. Where exactly was the Taurus Reach and how far was it from the system which was named after the future Chancellor Gorkon.

These are all answered when you see the map as it unfolds through exploration.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/17/2017 11:58:26 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 773
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2017 1:09:18 PM   
rjord2021

As I prepare for mapping, I am going through 840 system names for the alpha and beta quadrants checking them for errors.
I use various sources for the map I will be creating and have identified errors in the source material.

Memory Alpha or Memory Beta sites for example include all names that a system can be called so I need to keep only one name for that system and remove the additional names.

The list of systems shown at Memory Alpha or Memory Beta do not include every system so I am adding what was missing. Example : Weytahn was not listed however it is mentioned as a planet with an Andorian colony in the Enterprise episode: "Kir'Shara".

Another example : Babel is a planetoid in the Wolf 424 star system which served as a neutral site for many diplomatic talks and other events between powers of the Alpha Quadrant.... a well known TOS episode mentioned Babel "Journey to Babel" but is not listed under either name at http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Beta_Quadrant_stars_and_systems?page=2

Another example : Risa is a tourist planet in Federation space ideal for shoreleave and is in the Epsilon Ceti star system which was not listed in the source list of systems on Memory Alpha or Memory Beta.

Final example : The Kaleb sector near the Romulan neutral zone and mentioned in TNG. The system in this sector is not called Kaleb but is actually Caleb. Whether the planet Caleb IV is in any way related to the similarly sounding Kaleb sector is not known but according to the Star Trek: Star Charts (pages 45, 56,66, & "United Federation of Planets I"), the Caleb system was located in the Kaleb sector of the Beta Quadrant. Neither Kaleb or Caleb were mentioned by the Memory Beta list of systems.

Some of the systems have spelling mistakes so I am correcting them as I put my system database together.

This is a time consuming procedure but by removing the errors and adding in missing systems the map in this mod will be highly accurate.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/18/2017 1:25:13 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 774
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2017 2:26:43 PM   
rjord2021

Star Trek : Discovery

Just a quick post to mention that 15 hours ago the trailer for Star Trek : Discovery arrived on Youtube and.... my reaction....?

Star Trek is back on TV in a big way!!!

There were many who were concerned about this show but so far the reviews have been very positive. Check the extended trailer version here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qt4vquGz_A

Finally..... With the release of the trailer for Discovery I have added something from Discovery already into the mod and currently testing the mod with this new addition.

Picture from trailer I have modified with same graphics used in this mod

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/19/2017 7:16:39 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 775
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2017 4:19:47 PM   
rjord2021

A point of controversy with Discovery was the way the Klingons looked.

I believe I know why they look like this and who these particular Klingons are (based on research at Star Trek for 2255 time period)and have written them into the mod with role play in my mod explaining who the Klingons are in my view, why these particular Klingons look different and would they still be around in the Kirk era 10 years later.

Below are the Klingons as I have modified them with the look of races in this mod.

One thing is certain..... these particular Klingons will be more dangerous than ever.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/18/2017 4:22:09 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 776
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2017 4:31:19 PM   
rjord2021

There will be different pictures of the Klingons seen in the mod..... below is the version you will see in Distant Worlds Universe when you encounter these particular Klingons.

After seeing the look of these particular Klingons added to the mod....all I can say is
"Red alert....shields up!"

Picture modified specifically for this mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 777
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2017 7:47:17 AM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

Star Trek : Discovery Just a quick post to mention that 15 hours ago the trailer for Star Trek : Discovery arrived on Youtube and.... my reaction....? Star Trek is back on TV in a big way!!! There were many who were concerned about this show but so far the reviews have been very positive. Check the extended trailer version here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qt4vquGz_A

Love Star Trek, and also the work you are doing here!

But I have to say, after viewing the Discovery trailer, it totally sucks! In my opinion, this show will bomb out and may not even have a second season. As for reviews (something fewer and fewer pay attention to), the show does seem to check off the required list of things these days to get a positive review.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 778
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2017 8:27:00 AM   
rjord2021

You can never rule out how good a tv series is by looking at the trailer..... you at least need to see the pilot episode before judging it.
I heard that people hated Voyager.... I loved it and could hardly wait for the VHS tape which came out every 2 weeks at the shops
Enterprise was cancelled due to poor ratings however I liked this as well though others apparently had issues with it.

Below are the ratings each series of Star Trek received and TOS filmed back in 66 is still the most popular.
Though TNG was well liked it dropped 11 percentage points behind TOS
DS9 dropped another 6% and Voyager dropped a further 7%
You can see with each series following TOS that the series were losing approval.

Enterprise then screened and approval increased...becoming the 3rd most approved series behind TOS and TNG.

It is still early yet but Discovery has a 94% Want to see the show rating which is great to see

88% approval Star Trek
77% approval Star Trek The Next Generation
71% approval Star Trek Deep Space Nine
64% approval Star Trek Voyager
73% approval Star Trek Enterprise

94% Want to See Star Trek Discovery

Even with TOS you can see approval for the Kirk era dropped greatly in Season 3.
This would have led to the cancellation of the show.
If you look at the writing for Series 3 the writers were running out of good ideas which harmed the show.

TOS season 1 93% approval
TOS season 2 94% approval
TOS season 3 77% approval

The success of any show will depend on the writers.
If the writers come up with a good and believable story then Discovery will be popular.
If the writing is good but the music or editing is bad, then the show dies.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/19/2017 8:29:23 AM >

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 779
Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2017 10:21:20 PM   
rjord2021

one of the scenarios that may happen in this mod is shown in the picture below:
Spock from Mirror Vulcan as a crew member of the Enterprise

For this scenario to occur in role play the following needs to exist:

1. The Enterprise has not already met the Vulcans or Spock from original Universe
2. Vulcans from Mirror universe have allied with the original Federation
3. Mirror Spock has not joined the Terran Empire of the Mirror Universe

Sounds complicated but easily handled by the role play system.
The result is that just with Mirror Spock or the Terran Empire there are many different scenarios possible

If all conditions apply you will play Distant Worlds Universe with Mirror Spock serving on board the Enterprise with the original crew.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/19/2017 10:26:46 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI