Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Star Trek

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek - 10/1/2018 9:00:01 AM   
rjord2021

I think I mentioned it before but just wanted to clarify that the way I am doing these mods will make them look different and play differently to the vanilla game. Changing the research tree will make changes to how the game plays and the third screen of research will be devoted entirely to role play and damage control.

When role play tells you your shields are down and your warp drive engines have taken damage, you go into the 3rd screen and initiate repairs. You can not warp out of the system until you get a message top of the screen that your warp engines have been repaired.

This will add a new dynamic to the game because when ever you finish a battle with a Klingon ship Kirk will ask for a damage report. If the Enterprise has taken a lot of damage while in Klingon space you may be nearing Game Over unless Scotty performs one of his many miracles.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 991
RE: Star Trek - 10/1/2018 4:55:16 PM   
Omnius

rjord1,
Dang it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill for repairs. I'm fine with the repair function as is, keep it simple. I'm not sure I want to do role playing either. I like the game scale as is, don't want to junk it up with too much tactical nonsense that adds more micromanaging for no worthwhile gain in gameplay. I do like the concept of playing in a Star Trek inspired galaxy while playing the base game.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 992
RE: Star Trek - 10/1/2018 8:46:00 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

rjord1,
Dang it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill for repairs. I'm fine with the repair function as is, keep it simple. I'm not sure I want to do role playing either. I like the game scale as is, don't want to junk it up with too much tactical nonsense that adds more micromanaging for no worthwhile gain in gameplay. I do like the concept of playing in a Star Trek inspired galaxy while playing the base game.

This mod will have two versions.... One version will be no bells and whistles... The other is the one I am creating for those who want to see something like with Star fleet Battles

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 993
Star Trek - 10/2/2018 7:00:11 PM   
rjord2021

There are many different races of Klingons and Romulans and these will appear in the mod.

For example using Star Trek Online and Star Trek Timelines as references I have work in progress on the Fek'Ihri who are a race of Klingons who were genetically manipulated by the Dominion 2,000 years ago and have returned to wage war against the Klingon Empire.

Below is my work in progress on the Fek'Ihri which is still early in development.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/2/2018 7:05:36 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 994
Star Trek - 10/5/2018 2:21:53 AM   
rjord2021

Adding in a new research tree for Star Trek is a complex process....but saying that it is well under way.
The hardest part of the entire process is working out what to put where and how to get it working with Distant Worlds Universe.

To do this I am using a huge amount of reference material which allows me to add in the components and resources required to build a starship.

For example when you construct a starship the first step is always to construct the hull and skeletal structure which is used as the frame for which the rest of the starship is added to. The question then has to be asked : "What resources do I need to build a starship Hull? Steel? Gold? Plastic?"
Well some of those may be on the ship making drink cups, food trays,etc but what we need are the actual resources.

To build the hull you need to have access to the following:
Duranium
Duritanium Polyalloy
Polyduranium
Titranium

and of course we also need Tetraburnium.

Wait...none of those materials exists in Distant Worlds Universe! Ok...I have to add those in.

Then I look at things like the Strucural Integrity Field, Transporters, Weapons and of course the Warp Engines.

Can I build the warp engines using the 5 materials listed above?

No ..... apparently warp engines need a matter / antimatter reactor to work and for that I need to have deuterium and the well known (to Star Trek fans anyway) much loved Dilithium Crystals. Oh great...more to add.

By the way, with these mods I am creating you don't find warp drive or hyperdrive in ancient ruins... you need to research it.

And with Dilithium it was discovered by the Federation when a planetary scan was taken of a moon around Jupiter. Howeve Dilithium is highly used resource and will be found on more than a few planets.

Research is still required to know how to use dilithium crystals to make a warp capable ship.

My aim is to have a new way of playing Distant Worlds Universe with new tech and new components with the plan to use all of these to eventually move the mod over to Distant Worlds Universe 2.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/5/2018 2:34:12 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 995
Star Trek - 10/5/2018 5:33:11 PM   
rjord2021

After doing some testing I have decided no longer to have the 3rd research screen used for role play..... the idea I had was good but I was not able to get it working the way I wanted.

I am now using this 3rd research screen for another idea I have in mind.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 996
Star Trek - 10/5/2018 10:16:13 PM   
rjord2021

Today I am adding in the facilities such as Starfleet Command, the Vulcan High Command, The Parliament Andoria Complex, the Ferengi Chamber of Opportunity and many more facilities which are all added as Wonders.

A lot of research is needed to locate the correct definition for where each government and some of themn are really hard to find.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 997
Star Trek - 10/6/2018 7:28:45 PM   
rjord2021

I am testing a new Klingon D7 Cruiser for the mod.
I was not happy with the Klingon ships I had in the mod previously.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/6/2018 7:35:08 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 998
Star Trek - 10/7/2018 3:30:33 AM   
rjord2021

Below are two different versions of the Klingon D7 Class Battlecruiser.

One of these will most likely be the D7 that appears in the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/7/2018 3:35:23 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 999
Star Trek - 10/7/2018 3:47:11 AM   
rjord2021

Using photoshop to fix some issues with the Klingon base where part of the structure is missing on the left and fixed on the right.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1000
Star Trek - 10/7/2018 4:15:40 AM   
rjord2021

For this mod to work I need to get the phasers and photon torpedoes looking and sounding just right. Will start testing this week modifications to the weapons to try and get it looking like the concept art below.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1001
RE: Star Trek - 10/7/2018 5:36:35 AM   
Rising-Sun

By the time you get this finish or out for release, Distant Worlds II would probably be out by then.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1002
RE: Star Trek - 10/7/2018 6:33:26 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

By the time you get this finish or out for release, Distant Worlds II would probably be out by then.

It does take time to create mods for DW...but I can assure you this mod will be out in next month or so.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 1003
Star Trek - 10/11/2018 7:57:55 AM   
rjord2021

I am now editing together the music that will come with the mod.

I am trying to extract some of the music from the original series and include it in more modern music pieces which do not sound so 60's. I do however want to pay homage to the soundtrack we have heard from the original series where possible...just give it a 2018 feel.

For example the opening score of the mod before you start the game begins with the Star Trek TOS Theme and is followed by a great piece of Klingon music to indicate that the Klingons will be one of the Federations early foes to battle.

This is a time consuming process and I am still putting together a longer version of the Original Series Main Theme.

The main

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/11/2018 7:59:42 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1004
Star Trek - 10/13/2018 10:26:49 AM   
rjord2021

The mod soundtrack that is heard when you are in the selection menu should be finished by the end of the weekend.
2 days to do one Star Trek theme?

The first 2 minutes of the mod theme were nice and quick and include a monologue by Captain Kirk which you will really enjoy..... and no what I am referring to is not the "These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise" monologue. It is a really neat piece of audio I have managed to locate. I needed to do work on it to remove the scratches and other noises appearing on the original monologue. It was also in mono and needed to be converted to stereo to fit in with the rest of the theme.

That was the first part of the mod theme song.

Tomorrow I am taking specific scenes from Star Trek and removing just one part of those scenes and adding them to my mod. I am not going to say more about it but what I have so far gives a 2018 update to Star Trek TOS.

What I do tomorrow will see the likes of Khan, the Borg, Q, the Cardassians and more seemingly appearing in the TOS episodes with Kirk.

Yes it is taking time to do but believe me when you hear the finished result in the mod it will be worth the time spent on it.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1005
RE: Star Trek - 10/14/2018 5:15:27 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

in my opinioni the soundtrack of a Star Trek original serie's mod MUST be sixties.. !!!!!!!!!!!

any other more modern tune "sounds" absolutely inappropriate.

my "two cents".

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 10/14/2018 5:16:51 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1006
RE: Star Trek - 10/14/2018 4:40:30 PM   
Omnius

I like the green Klingon D7. Thanks for putting in the time to make an awesome Star Trek mod, hope you can finish the Star wars one even more.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 1007
Star Trek - 10/14/2018 9:52:10 PM   
rjord2021

As you expand across the galaxy you will need to consider how you communicate with your starships. The further away your starship is from a planet or other ship it will take longer for a subspace signal to be sent to that starship.

In this mod this problem will be fixed by building a subspace communication network consisting of subspace relay stations as shown below which will boost the signal and allow faster communications between planets and starships.

The next few days will be spent working out how to get these stations working and put together the rules such as what to do when a Klingon ship destroys your subspace relay station.

The actual size of the relay station is still to be set in the config files.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/14/2018 9:54:12 PM >

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 1008
Star Trek - 10/16/2018 8:54:04 AM   
rjord2021

There were 79 episodes of The Original Series and 22 episodes of The Animated Series and I am hoping to have many if not all of these episodes appearing in the mod in one way or another.

With the soundtrack I do aim to have the original music in the mod.... but it will be mixed in with other music.
However the majority of it will be from the Original Series....

This is the background story of the mod:

"It has been 70 years since we saw the Romulans.... it seems that they have decided to leave our space alone for the time being and leave us alone.

It has also been many years since we had problems with the Klingon Empire. Many years ago the Klingon ships had arrived in our system and our freedom was under serious threat from invasion. Thankfully we received help from a fleet of ships that arrived soon after the Klingon warships and drove the Klingons away.

We were contacted by the Vulcans who had driven off the Klingon threat. The Vulcans assured us that they would monitor the Klingons and make sure the Klingons stayed in their own space. That was 10 years ago.

We feel that the Klingons and Romulans will not stay away much longer and the Federation has setup an organisation called Starfleet which will build Earth's first interstellar starships.

We need to make contact with the Vulcans who we have not seen in 10 years and also begin exploring our neighboring systems and make contact with new races and new civilizations and ally together to defend against any further attacks by Romulan or Klingon warships.

Your first steps are to establish Starfleet and build the early mark Federation starships, research new technology and establish sensor arrays on the edges of our system pointing towards deep space looking for signs of new civilizations as well as monitoring for early signs of Klingon or Romulan activity.

We do not know where Klingon or Romulan space is located but once we find their locations we can establish outposts to monitor ships heading our way. Hopefully the Vulcans will help us with this ...but we also need to find the Vulcan system first."

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/16/2018 9:06:53 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1009
Star Trek - 10/16/2018 7:16:52 PM   
rjord2021

Encountering Kodos the Executioner

While playing this mod you will at some stage discover the Tarsus system and meet Governor Kodos who is also known as Kodos the Executioner.

The story of Kodos is one of the stories I remember from the Original Series where as Governor he responded to an exotic fungus which destroyed most of the colony's food supply by murdering 4000 of the 8000 people in the Tarsus IV colony so that those colonists who survived would ot die slowly of starvation.

Kodos will not appear as he did in Conscience of the King where he was part of the Karidian Company of Players. Kodos will still be on Tarsus IV leading a society who wanted to be left alone by the likes of the Federation, Klingons and Romulans.

The Federation has learned of the extermination of 4000 colonists from Earth and I am putting a story together of how the Federation reacts to what Kodos did.

I have read the Discovery novel "Drastic Measures" which goes into detail what Kodos did on Tarsus IV and gives a lot of detail into who Kodos is as a character.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/16/2018 7:26:42 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1010
Star Trek - 10/16/2018 7:56:16 PM   
rjord2021

When will you be able to play this mod?

I know that there are many people here eager to get their hands on this mod....after all it has been in development for some time now.

With that in mind I am aiming to release a very early version of the mod in the next few weeks which will allow you to play the Kirk era mod.

The mod will be limited to around 22 races while I am working on the rest of the mod.
Updates will then be downloadable as each section of the mod is finished.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1011
Star Trek - 10/16/2018 8:23:46 PM   
rjord2021

The early version of the mod released in a few weeks will have civilizations encountered by the Enterprise in the first season of The Original Series.

This will of course include the Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans.

Civilizations from the Second and Third seasons will then be released in subsequent updates.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/16/2018 8:26:18 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1012
Star Trek - 10/16/2018 10:34:49 PM   
rjord2021

The Salt Creature of Regulus VIII has also had a slight makeover.

While considered the last of its kind in The Man Trap episode a small colony of these creatures had being able to escape Regulus VIII and hide on another planet.

I am still in two minds of what to call this creature and how or even if they should be in the mod.

EDIT:

In this mod the Salt Vampire will be known as a Regulan Vampire

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/17/2018 6:05:55 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1013
RE: Star Trek - 10/17/2018 1:47:27 AM   
Wolfe1759

After 34 pages is this an art project or a mod?

< Message edited by Wolfe1759 -- 10/17/2018 1:48:43 AM >

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1014
RE: Star Trek - 10/17/2018 3:31:18 PM   
Lecivius

Patience. "As it will be ready, when it is ready" (quoted from Master and Commander)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 1015
RE: Star Trek - 10/17/2018 7:26:59 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Patience. "As it will be ready, when it is ready" (quoted from Master and Commander)

Thanks for your comment Lecivius

I was not sure how to respond to the prior comment by Wolfe1759. I am ok with little feedback in the forum but yesterdays comment left me feeling a bit miffed.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1016
Star Trek - 10/17/2018 11:51:38 PM   
rjord2021

The Thasians were met in the Charlie X episode and I have redone the look of them for this mod.

Using the original actor from the episode and adding his picture to the inhospitable world of Thasus instead of the Enterprise bridge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 11/3/2018 6:07:34 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1017
RE: Star Trek - 10/19/2018 6:52:12 PM   
Wolfe1759

Apologies.

I've been keeping my eye on this since it started, maybe it is just that I'm seeing huge amounts of screenshots with no feedback, echoing your comment. Maybe it is the sceptic in me saying this looks too good to be true, I'm sure you'll prove me wrong. Anyway my bad, keep up the good work

< Message edited by Wolfe1759 -- 10/19/2018 9:54:05 PM >

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1018
Star Trek - 11/3/2018 4:45:04 PM   
rjord2021

Work continues on the mod.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 1019
Star Trek - 11/3/2018 5:55:42 PM   
rjord2021

Why is the mod taking so long to complete?

If you have had a go at modding in Distant Worlds Universe you will see there is so much of the gameplay that can be changed in this game. This is what separates Distant Worlds Universe from other games.

I could just change the pictures for the ships and races and have the mod out in a week.....but this mod is going where no other mod is going before...... (excuse the pun).

In my early testing of the mod when I was looking through the research tree and seeing weapons such as beam weapons, Graviton Beams and Area Weapons for example and I knew that the research tree needed to be replaced as none of these were Star Trek technologies. The problem was that as soon as I made changes to the research items the mod would break. There was not much documentation on how to replace the research tree and I have had to learn how to do this by trial and error. I even created a post 31st July asking if anyone had any tips for the research tree but got no replies.

Then I have to work out what to put in the research tree....which technologies are used by which races...and so on.

In order to add a Star Trek feel to the game other areas of the game are being changed as well which does take time to plan out and then change.

Another huge change is a complete overhaul of the way the races in the mod talk to each other.

For example when playing the Federation and they encounter the Vulcans you will at times get dialong such as this:

Welcome strange one! We are the Federation. We are impressed by power and strength.Lets be friends, we could be unstoppable together!"

This works with the Vanilla game but not in Star Trek so for every race I have being changing the dialog to that you would expect to hear from the Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Borg and so on. Believe me just this takes a lot of time.

So I do apologize for how long this mod is taking but believe me when I say this mod is going where no other mod has gone before.......

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 11/3/2018 5:58:32 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Star Trek Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI