Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/29/2016 8:03:28 PM   
Lecivius

To be certain, as I am looking into this, I need Distant Worlds Universe?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 91
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/29/2016 8:41:12 PM   
rjord2021

I started adding the Klingon Empire characters into the mod 4 hours ago and was surprised that it was not too difficult to find the names of which Klingons were around during Kirk's time on the Enterprise. After a few hours of research I have 9 leaders of the Empire from Sturka through to Azetbur, daughter of Gorkon who was seen in Star Trek VI.

Currently working through the Klingon Captains at the moment and this is one of the methods I am following to gather names

In Star Trek the Motion Picture.....Stardate 2270 and therefore added to "The Kirk Movie Years" part of my mod, a Klingon Captain named Commander Barak is on board the IKS Amar leading a squadron of Klingon battle cruisers to intercept V'Ger.

On the IKS Amar is a:

First Officer - name found to be Komal.... played by stuntman Tom Morga

Helmsman - name found to be Karnog... played by stunt actor Joel Kramer.

A Navigator

An officer

A Weapons Operator

The last 3 had no names but I want to add those characters into the mod

I look up Star Trek The Motion Picture on IMDB which shows Commander Barak was played by Mark Lenard who is also Spock's father Sarek
IMDB then lists 8 Klingon crewmembers which is 3 more than I have listed above.
I ignore the crewmen on the IMDB page played by Tom Morga and Joel Kramer as I know their Klingon Character names and IMDB tells me that the other Klingons were played by actors

Jimmie Booth
Bill McIntosh
Dave Moordigian
Tony Rocco
Craig Thomas

I then convert the actors names to Klingon and use these as the 5 unnamed Klingons on the IKS Amar

Therefore:

Jimmie Booth's character becomes known as Mog
Bill McIntosh's character becomes known as Kinchlirah
Dave Moordigian's character becomes known as Duralle
Tony Rocco's character becomes known as Mahtou
Craig Thomas's character becomes known as Gretahl

Below is a picture I have created in photoshop to show Kang as he appears in the mod.
Each picture can take up to an hour to do depending on who or what needs to be removed from the background and then merging the picture of the character into the background so it does not look like a 2-dimensional cut and paste. In this picture I removed 5 24th century Klingon crewmen and then added Kang to the image and made some additional changes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/29/2016 8:52:44 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 92
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/29/2016 8:44:11 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

To be certain, as I am looking into this, I need Distant Worlds Universe?

Yes... my mod is designed for Distant Worlds Universe and I am not sure it will work in versions of Distant Worlds prior to Universe.

I will keep posting updates on my progress but it could be a few months before the first version of this mod is available to download.... but plenty of other mods to try in the meantime.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/29/2016 8:49:26 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 93
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/29/2016 11:50:52 PM   
rjord2021

Test message created to show an example of story events planned for this mod. The following is just for my testing and pictures and/or story may change before the release of this mod.

After receiving this message at a determined date you will send a starship directly to Tarsus IV as directed by Starfleet.

Once your ship arrives at Tarsus IV you will have one of the following determined by dice roll:

1. You beam down onto the planet and arrest Kodos before he can carry out genocide on the colony. Beam Kodos on board your ship and take him back to Earth to face a Starfleet judge and sentencing. After he is convicted Kodos will then be taken by your ship to the Tantalus Penal Colony for humane rehabilitation made possible by new technologies and drug therapies under the care of Doctor Tristan Adams.

or

2. You arrive at the colony and discover that Kodos has already killed 4000 members of the colony

- if option 2 roll the dice again to determine if
: A) a body assumed to be Kronos is found and the case is closed. Leave the planet.
: B) Kodos is reported to be hiding on the planet. Leave your starship in orbit until he is found
: C) Kodos has escaped to another planet in the system. Send your starship to search each planet.

- if option B or option C then there are more options until Kodos is found dead or alive at which stage you can leave orbit of Tarsus IV

This is a test that I am doing on the mod over the next few days to see how it works.

If Kodos has killed 4000 of the 8000 colonists then Starfleet will need to send other ships to Tarsus IV to provide support and councelling.

With this story event your ship and other Federation ships may encounter Romulan ships as Tarsus IV is only one sector away from the Romulan Neutral Zone. By default the Romulans are aggressive towards the Federation so any Romulan ships (possibly cloaked) may cause you problems.

The above may seem complicated but I will provide plenty of documentation to explain how this will work.

Random events played along with managing your empire mean that each time you play the mod a different story happens. For example, every time you take prisoners to the Tantalus Penal Colony a dice roll will determine if you discover that Tristan Adams is conducting unauthorized and unethical experiments on all the patients .... every time you visit the Penal Colony there is an 8% chance you will discover what Adams is up to... meaning you may find out on the first visit, or the second visit but may never find out.

If you have not discovered the planet Tantalus then other Penal Colonies will be suggested... if they are not discovered either then Kodos or other prisoners are kept on Earth until one of those penal colony planets are discovered and colonised....then you take the prisoner to that planet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/30/2016 12:32:25 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 94
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/30/2016 12:41:27 AM   
rjord2021

Every story of every episode of Star Trek TOS or the first 6 movies will hopefully be added to the mod with possible variations.

For example your ship may end up at Starbase K7 and not only have to deal with Klingons there but prevent them from sabotaging the stores of quadrotriticale. Once that is done you may have an infestation of tribbles on board your ship to clean off your ship before you leave orbit. A roll of the dice will determine if you have successfully transported all the tribbles on to the Klingon D7 ship. If not, you will be there a while longer in an area close to Klingon space and possible Klingon attack.

The Day of the Dove episode may even result in a storyline where Starfleet and the Klingon High Council give you permission to cross the Klingon Neutral Zone and deliver prisoners to the Klingon Homeworld or nearest Klingon base.

And finally...to make the mod a little more challenging...... when you visit a world with one of these TOS story episodes on it... there is every chance your captain will be killed.

Example, recreating the events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" you need to get your ship to Delta Vega and leave one of your crew members on the planet after he was effected by the Great Barrier and is developing godlike powers. On arriving at Delta Vega a dice roll will determine if you successfully confine the crewman or if he escapes. If he escapes then your captain will be fighting the crewman with a series of dice throws where each dice roll will give damage to your captain or the effected crewmen. After a number of damage points your captain may be dead...or the other crewman.

Is your captain about to die?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 4/30/2016 1:24:42 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 95
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/30/2016 2:48:48 AM   
rjord2021

With Federation Agents I have picked up 43 of them directly from the original Enterprise between stardates 2265 and 2273and 25 scientists from the same ship and the same period.

I have 28 medical personnel that I have to think about where they go as well as 105 other personnel from departments such as Engineering, communications,flight control and administration to add in as well.

Those were for the Original Enterprise.

For the part of the mod from 2270 I pick entirely new characters from stardate 2270 onwards.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 96
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 4/30/2016 11:45:43 PM   
rjord2021

The Orions

While operating in or near Federation space the Orions maintained an air of neutrality to avoid any retaliation from Federation ships. However, this did not stop Orion ships from raiding unsuspecting starships, even Federation freighters, and to maintain neutrality with the Federation the Orions were willing to go as far as to destroy the ships they raided to eliminate anyone pointing fingers back at the Orions for the raid on their ships.

The Orions will play a heavy part in the various parts of this mod as there were not many episodes about them as they travelled between worlds covering up their usually very shady operations.

I photoshopped the image below as a test of what they may look like in the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 97
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/1/2016 2:15:06 AM   
rjord2021

Part of developing the mod is testing it as it is being developed.

Just completed a 2-hour test of the mod (still in early build stages) looking for any issues to be resolved early on. Last year the issue I had was that when the mod started I had two leaders. Got that resolved thankfully as that one issue had delayed development of the mod by several months.

The Federation side of the mod is almost complete but still reviewing names I have for scientists and agents.

Also looking at the ships going out to build gas mining facilities and having a look at the resources the "build" ships have in their cargo bay. Resources will be completely revamped to those you would find in the Star Trek Universe and updated with descriptions in the Galactopedia with pictures and descriptions to show what the resource is used for and why you need it.

I had been running a test for a part of my mod which would require a ship to be recommissioned with a new name...example changing the Enterprise from NCC 1701 to NCC 1701-A. Suddenly got a bit worried because I knew the ships could be recommissioned with a new name in Distant Worlds but could not find out where to do it. Eventually found it and added to my documentation that comes with the mod.

Yesterday I showed a screen of events in this mod based on the Star Trek character Kodos the Executioner. This addition to my mod involves 2 dice and uses the rules of "Game of Chance" to determine what steps you as the Captain take. For example, with arriving at Tarsus IV you will have a landing party down on the surface investigating the colony after reports of genocide were sent to Starfleet.... or you are looking for Governor Kodos to take into custody. One of the rules I added to my Distant Worlds Universe mod are game rules to follow if a Romulan ship arrived in the Sector . The ship captain is down on the planet with the landing party and the rules , decided by a dice throw, would be to stay in orbit and see what the Romulan does, or leave orbit and warp out of the system and come back for the captain when the Romulans have gone.

Below is the list of the next 10 story events being added into the mod for the following planets you discover:

1... Cestus III This is where Kirk battled the Gorn (Episode-"Arena")
2... Omicron Ceti III The colony is infected by spores from mysterious plants (Episode-"This Side of Paradise")
3... Psi 2000 The crew of your ship is infected with a virus picked up from the planet (Episode-"The Naked Time")
4... Alpha 177 The ship transporter has malfunctioned and a landing party is stuck on the planet (Episode-"The Enemy Within")
5... Delta Vega One of your crew is developing godlike powers and is a danger to the ship (Episode-"Where No Man Has Gone Before")
6... Space Station K7 You encounter the Klingons and a whole lot of tribbles (Episode-"The Trouble with Tribbles")
7... Ceti Alpha V You meet Khan Noonien Singh (Episode-"Space Seed")
8... Halkan homeworld Members of your crew dissapear into an alternate universe (Episode-"Mirror, Mirror")
9... Romulan Neutral Zone You are sent to investigate the destruction of 2 outposts (Episode-"Balance of Terror")
10.. The Gateway Planet... Your crew meet the Guardian of Forever and discover your past has been altered (Episode-"City on the Edge of Forever")

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 98
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/1/2016 7:31:07 AM   
rjord2021

Working today on correcting some issues with the Federation fleet.

Replacing the Daedalus Class starships with the Constitution Class as seen in the picture below of the Enterprise in the Ardana system. The ship does not look 100% correct so will be tweaking the image tonight to make the saucer section slightly wider.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/1/2016 7:41:56 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 99
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/1/2016 7:38:40 AM   
rjord2021

This picture shows a convoy of Federation transport ships leaving the Breen system and heading for the Federation Home World.

In the map in the bottom right of the image you can see a gap two sectors wide running between the Alpha Quadrant on the left and the Beta Quadrant on the right. I am slowly adding Alpha Quadrant worlds to these blank sectors using the Star Trek atlas and this is a very slow process.

In the image you can see the system of Luria...the planet in this system was featured in the Deep Space 9 episode "Who Mourns for Morn?". In the mod the Lurians will appear as they did in the Kirk era.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/1/2016 7:47:13 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 100
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2016 9:40:18 PM   
rjord2021

The mod is progressing well with more of the Star Trek map plotted.

New characters have also being added to the Federation ...specifically for the Star Trek tv series Star Trek: Phase II which was to be aired in May 1978 but was cancelled.

Two characters that were to be in this series were William Decker and Lieutenant Ilia who both ended up in the Motion Picture. I have photoshopped a picture below of what Lieutenant Ilia will look like in the mod.

13 episodes were scripted for phase II and I am including their story lines in the mod as well.

With the pictures I am photoshopping for the mod I add the character to a set Star Trek background picture and then use a technique I have developed to merge the new character into the background as seen below. In the picture Lieutenant Ilia appears to be listening to what Spock is saying even though she was never there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/5/2016 9:43:34 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 101
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/5/2016 9:48:13 PM   
rjord2021

And a modified picture with improved color of Iliya to match existing characters in the picture. With the picture above Iliya had too much color. Also fixed the bald skull cap you can see she is wearing in the picture above. Just an example of detail being given to pictures being created for the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/5/2016 10:02:23 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 102
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2016 6:09:37 PM   
rjord2021

Vulcans are a race who embraced peace ...however this was not always the case.

Over 700 years ago before they had become a warp capable civilization, a worm hole opened up in Vulcan space leading to the Romulan Empire and a Romulan invasion saw the Vulcans fight back against the aggressive invaders. The war between the Romulans and the Vulcans lasted for a hundred years until the wormhole finally closed.

So despite being a peaceful race, events and changes to a specific timeline may see the Vulcan civilization threatened by others and Vulcan history shows that Vulcans are not afraid to go to war when their families and their cultures are threatened.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 103
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2016 6:25:10 PM   
rjord2021

With that last post in mind all it would take is a Federation leader to make one bad decision that offends the Vulcans and leads to a complete breakdown in the friendship between Vulcan and the humans on Planet Earth.

One small change in the timeline and the historic First Contact between Vulcan and Earth may never happen.

With one small change in the timeline Earth vessels may be the ones who pass close by as Vulcan tests their first warp-capable ship.... leading an Earth ship to make First Contact with Vulcan.

With other Star Trek mods for Distant Worlds you do not have the choice of playing as the Vulcans as they are an integral part of the Federation of Planets. However with this mod you are able to choose to play the Vulcans as the Federation has not been formed as yet so you can start out at the Vulcan home world and guide them through their discovery of warp technology and their expansion throughout the galaxy.

Finding the Vulcans who were around during the Kirk era has been a long task but I have over 100 Vulcan characters so far with more to be added.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 104
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/6/2016 7:39:35 PM   
rjord2021

So with testing the mod with the Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans and Earth Federation added as races, what I found was that my advisors for the Earth Federation would recommend attacks against Vulcan infrastructure and even suggest we should declare war against Vulcan. Now since we know that Vulcan and Earth do not go to war in the timeline we know, we would say no to any suggestion of declaring war against Vulcan.

With this mod however, if you chose this way of playing the mod, for each race you encounter there are a minimum of 6 alternate time lines that you will follow.

So when you meet the Vulcans, history can change and go 6 different ways.

When you meet the Klingons how you will interact with them will be in one of 6 ways.

Romulans... same thing.

Other races you meet... are you friends or conatantly at war with them in 6 different timelines

By having 6 different possible ways of dealing with races determined at the point of First Contact with them, every time you play this mod the story will be different.

You may be friends with the Klingons and Romulans and hate the Vulcans.
You may be on good terms with the Klingons , Romulans and Vulcans and be at war with the Ferengi...or the Gorn... or the Tholians.

Another time line may have you at war with the Klingons and Romulans and friendly towards everyone else.

And to make it more interesting, before you even start up Distant Worlds you throw two dice and based on the result you get from the dice, you will then copy 1 of 12 different race bias files in to the mod. What this will do is leave it to chance how the major races will feel towards you . Each race has a natural bias to the 29 other major races, a bias value ranging from +50 to -50.

So to sum it up:

1. Before starting Distant Worlds you will add in 1 of 12 different files that will tell the mod how 29 races feel about each other.
2. While playing the mod you will follow different timelines for each of the 29 major races in the mod.
3. The timeline you play may have you seeking friendship with the Vulcans but they may have a natural bias of hatred towards you.

4. and finally, based on the 2 dice you threw before starting Different Worlds...depending on the result you will also add a characters file which means you may get well known characters as shown below appearing in the mod.

This may sound a little complex but I am designing this to be simple.

Before starting Distant Worlds you copy the contents of 1 of 12 folders into the mod which will give you different biases and characters

While playing the mod onscreen instructions will guide you along one of 6 timelines you may have every time you meet one of the 29 major races.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/6/2016 7:42:35 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 105
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2016 10:19:40 PM   
rjord2021

Below is an example of an early concept design for event cards I am currently testing with my mod. I have 40 cards designed at this stage.

An example of how some of these cards will work.

When your ship arrives at a new planet your navigator will achieve planetary orbit. You will check the card for that planet and depending on what timeline you are in (based on your roll of the dice before starting Distant Worlds Universe) you will be instructed either of the 3 following.

1. No life forms have been discovered on the planet. Scan the planet from your ship and leave orbit when complete.
or
2. Life Forms have being detected but the civilization is primitive. Under the rules of the Prime Directive you must not make contact and you and your ship must not be seen by them.
or
3. Life forms have being detected on the planet. Establish contact and send your captain and a landing party down to the planet.

The completion of these 3 options is determined by the roll of the dice.
Example 1 and 2 Planetary scan is complete when 2 dice rolled and result is 6 or more
Example 3 Landing party returns to ship when 2 dice rolled and result is 9 or more

These are just what is used in my testing and dice values will more than likely change before mod is released.

I am also testing the following idea for ship construction.
This requires that ship building is done manually and not automatically and instead of adding 1 to 8 ships in a build queue you will do them one ata time. This will simulate the actual ship docks where a completed ship must have orders giving permission to leave dock and then leave before the next ship can start being built.

For example you or your advisors will suggest 4 new explorer ships to be built.
You will build the 4 ships but only one at a time.

Build the first explorer. When complete the ship will be in space dock or planet dock waiting for departure orders. Assign a captain or command and crew and when you achieve the required dice roll you are permitted to put the ship on automatic or manually give it orders to warp to a specific system.

After the first ship is built and while you are throwing the dice to determine when the ship is ready to leave docking, you can give orders to build the 2nd ship, then the 3rd ship and so on.

I know a lot of this sounds complicated but I want to stress that it is optional and you can play this Distant Worlds mod the way I am designing it or the way you play any other mod for Distant Worlds.

My initial testing shows that using these cards and 6 different timelines adds another dimension to this game , and yes makes it a little more complicated, but it does give a more Star Trek feel to this game. Ship building may end up slower but this is determined by dice roll and nothing more than chance.

First and foremost I am primarily designing this mod for my use and enjoyment putting in random events and drama which I would love to see in other Star Trek games. I am a Trekkie of many decades and have being looking for game software which can be modded to recreate Star Trek adventures and immerse yourself in the role. Distant Worlds is ideal to do this.

When the mod is finished the mod will be uploaded to the Internet for anyone who wants to try it out....including documentation on how to play it the way I will be playing it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this is my concept of giving my Distant Worlds Universe mod some additional complexity as seen in the Starfleet Battles board game as well as in the 9 different Role Playing games I have seen for Star Trek.

So please do not be concerned if what I show here looks too complex as the mod can be played any way you like.

The design of the card below will change over the coming weeks as below is just an initial form used for testing.

Each set of cards will be customized for the 29 races in the mod . This means that the Prime Directive rules set by the Federation will not apply to the Romulans and Klingons for example.
With the example below with the Great Barrier as seen in the Episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" at least one of the timelines has the possibility, based on a dice throw, that your ship has been so severely damaged by the Barrier that you will send a distress call, be picked up by another ship and unfortunately implement the Self Destruct on your ship. Then be taken back to your home world, assigned a new ship and head out into space again.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/7/2016 10:57:34 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 106
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2016 10:36:12 PM   
rjord2021

Just got my first response to someone reading my last post.

From :Leonard Horatio McCoy (Status : Retired from Starfleet)
Subject :Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

Rest of message withheld as not suitable for publication

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 107
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/7/2016 11:12:35 PM   
rjord2021

Khan as he will appear in the mod.

Picture created in photoshop and more than likely to be used as the banner image for the mod. I still need to fix some pixel images on his left arm.

I modified the picture and added the Botany Bay

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/8/2016 12:47:33 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 108
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 12:32:06 AM   
rjord2021

With the 6 various timelines in this mod and the more than one race bias files that will be used in the mod, what you will find in the one timeline you are in is that you are working hard to form good relations with the Vulcans but they distrust you and think you are worse than a Klingon Targ.

The next time you play you may be in a timeline where the Vulcans are ready to send their ambassador to your homeworld... but this time you have neutral feelings towards the Vulcans and don't trust them very much.

If you are in timeline 3 for example the Vulcans and Humans are supposed to get on well. However, I am planning to change the 6 race bias files weekly or every fortnight to add random effect to how each race regards each other. So when you are in timeline 3 the following week you may find the relationship between the humans and Vulcans are different.

The race bias files would be less than 40kb in size so a very short weekly download if you would like the updates.

If anyone has any suggestions of something they would like to see in the 3 part mods or a specific race , character or event... please add a message and I can see if this can be added.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 109
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 1:07:12 AM   
rjord2021

Star Trek : The Return of Khan
I thought I might just quickly explain the title and what Khan is returning from.

Whenever you play this mod, the Picard mod or any other StarTrek mod in Distant Worlds..... every time you play the mod you create an alternate history as you will never play the same game twice.

This is why I have added various timelines to my mod.... 6 master timelines upon which you will then create various more timelines of the Kirk era story.

Now what is Khan returning from?

In this mod I have created a formula to derive the Stardate for this mod calculated on the date shown at the top of the Distant Worlds screen. This Stardate is well beyond 1996 which is the date Khan and his crew were sent from Earth in the Botany Bay. So for this mod it is assumed that for every timeline Khan was in sleep-mode in the Botany Bay and awoken by any one of a number of races.... so not just Kirk in the Original Series and Admiral Marcus in the last Trek movie.

Khan is returning to power from his exile in the Botany Bay and no matter what timeline you play he is bitter towards his treatment by Earth and will more than likely form relationships with other races who would like nothing more than the destruction of the Federation.

So if you play the Federation you have no chance of being friends with Khan. Other races? Their relationship with Khan will depend on the weekly or fortnightly updated bias files.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 110
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 1:23:55 AM   
rjord2021

Today I am adding the various characters that were around in the Kirk era for the Gorn and the Tholian races.
These characters were hard to find especially since there were only one episode each for TOS where the Gorn and Tholians were on tv.

However, today I have 61 Gorn characters around the time of 2267 and 39 Tholians
These are all characters who at one time or another crossed paths with Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise.

Tomorrow I have 4 Gorn ship to start working on but I need to check the official timeline and see which class of Gorn ships were in use till 2270 as this is the timeline of Part 1 of this mod I am currently working on.

The same applies to the Tholian ships where I already have 3 ships in my files including a very cool version of the Tholian Web Spinner seen in the episode "‎The Tholian Web"

Each of these pictures has to be enhanced and photospped before adding to the mod.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 111
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 1:43:19 AM   
rjord2021

Will the Nerada and Nero be seen in part 3 of this mod?

Unfortunately No.. and the reason is:

The Nerada was launched in 2387 and Kirk was lost to the Nexus in 2293...94 years earlier than the Nerada launch.
This would also mean that Nero was not in the timeline either ... born in 2360.... so sadly he and his ship will not be in this mod.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 112
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 1:49:39 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

my usual noob-doubt: when you say: <<Roll the dice>>, we will have:

1) manually roll a dice and then follow the on-screen instructions

or

2) the "dice rolling" will be directly "rolled" by the program..

?????

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 113
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 2:32:18 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

my usual noob-doubt: when you say: <<Roll the dice>>, we will have:

1) manually roll a dice and then follow the on-screen instructions

or

2) the "dice rolling" will be directly "rolled" by the program..

?????

You will need to buy a pair of dice to roll on the table next to the computer. The value of the dice roll thrown prior to going into Distant Worlds will determine how the races feel about each other, what events will occur in which systems and also the orders you receive from Starfleet, the Vulcan High Council or whichever party leads your race.

You will also need a pen.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 114
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 10:06:44 PM   
rjord2021

When you are finished the current mission you are in , such as exploring a new M Class planet, you roll the dice to see if you have received any transmissions from Starfleet or whoever are your Commanders.

If the dice roll tells you a message is coming in, throw a dice to see what the message is.

Picture below pretty much shows an example of the completed design of the card used in this mod.
Note: The Action line in red tells you in this case to patrol the Neutral zone only if you have discovered the Neutral Zone, otherwise ignore the action and get ready to leave orbit to go explore another planet.

Different races will have cards with different colors.

The link to the message in Distant Worlds will have the action in the Message title so in the case below the message will tell you to click on the link only if you have discovered the Neutral Zone.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/8/2016 10:16:17 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 115
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/8/2016 10:46:15 PM   
rjord2021

With the sample card I posted yesterday with the ship engines damaged by the Great Barrier....

The replacement card now looks like this which I think is much better.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/8/2016 10:53:20 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 116
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 5:09:04 AM   
rjord2021

To finish up with the map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants I am first going through every episode of Star Trek TOS and collecting the planets. races and ships encountered by Kirk.Then doing the same with Enterprise, TNG and DS9 but only for the planets and races.

With all 3 I make sure every planet and race encountered in those 3 series is added to the mod.

For example the first pilot episode with Christopher Pike mentioned a race called Kalar. This is a warrior race found on Rigel VII which have being added to the mod as a colony on Rigel VII. If you send a landing party down to the planet you will be attacked and a dice throw will determine if you lose any crew or indeed does your captain die.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 117
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 8:04:10 AM   
rjord2021

The galactic map is created with planets in their correct location using the Star Trek Atlas to identify the exact location of each system such as the Nell system, the Magus system and Epsilon Hydra just to name 3 examples.

However as I am looking for 100% realism with this map so you can explore every planet and culture in Distant Worlds Universe that were seen in every Star Trek series except for Voyager I need to do a cross check with what I have added to the map comparing that to a complete list of every world visited in Star Trek.

As you can see in the picture below an excel spreadsheet has a list of 982 worlds to cross check.

As I cross them off as being on the map I also update the spreadsheet with additional data of Native species to that world and characters on that world. Also any comments such as this planet is at war with another planet.

I have already picked up a number of planets to be added to the map.....such as the Planet Mudd which is important as both the Federation and the Klingons will at some stage be looking for Harry Mudd in this area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 118
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 9:37:34 AM   
rjord2021

Many alien races in this mod do not have suitable pictures to use..... so in that case I create the alien with a slightly new look.

The Aaamazzarite

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 119
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 9:50:48 AM   
rjord2021

And the Aaamazzarite in a completed picture.

The Aaamazzarites were briefly seen in a background shot of the Motion Picture and there were no suitable detailed images for this race..... thus the reason for giving this race a 2016 makeover.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/9/2016 9:59:42 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI