Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 5:40:25 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

my usual noob-doubt: when you say: <<Roll the dice>>, we will have:

1) manually roll a dice and then follow the on-screen instructions

or

2) the "dice rolling" will be directly "rolled" by the program..

?????

You will need to buy a pair of dice to roll on the table next to the computer. The value of the dice roll thrown prior to going into Distant Worlds will determine how the races feel about each other, what events will occur in which systems and also the orders you receive from Starfleet, the Vulcan High Council or whichever party leads your race.

You will also need a pen.

sound amazing and very unusual..

six sided dice ???

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 5/9/2016 5:44:48 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 121
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/9/2016 7:33:33 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

quote:

my usual noob-doubt: when you say: <<Roll the dice>>, we will have:

1) manually roll a dice and then follow the on-screen instructions

or

2) the "dice rolling" will be directly "rolled" by the program..

?????

You will need to buy a pair of dice to roll on the table next to the computer. The value of the dice roll thrown prior to going into Distant Worlds will determine how the races feel about each other, what events will occur in which systems and also the orders you receive from Starfleet, the Vulcan High Council or whichever party leads your race.

You will also need a pen.

sound amazing and very unusual..

six sided dice ???

Yes... 2 normal six sided dice.

Have already started testing my mod with the dice rolls and adds another element to Distant Worlds.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 122
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/10/2016 5:04:27 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

thank you Rjord1

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 123
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2016 8:19:03 AM   
rjord2021

Not much today other than a preview of something added to the mod and just finished in photoshop

All will be made clear when you see the finished mod. :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/11/2016 8:25:14 AM >

Post #: 124
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2016 12:06:10 PM   
rjord2021

Some more detail on how the dice will be used in the mod

Tested a small change to the mod today concerning how the dice will be used to add events such as waiting for Scotty to repair the Enterprise .....or working out how long it will take for:

1. your landing party to beam back up to the ship
2. for the navigator to plot the course to the next planet or starbase
3. finally when the ship breaks orbit from the planet.

These 3 actions will appear on a card for each planet you are beaming up from and at the bottom of the card will be pictures of 3 dice side by side.

If you look at the picture below under Alien Control you will see that the 3 dice are a 3, another 3 and a 5.

You roll one dice and you have to roll a 3, then another 3 and finally a 5 to complete the action which in this example is beaming to the ship and leaving orbit.

Some events only need one dice roll to complete an action eg a 2..... while other actions may have a time penalty where not rolling the correct value means a 5-minute wait before you can do an action.

The picture below is from a Star Trek board game which illustrates the dice roll used at times in my mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 125
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/11/2016 11:01:33 PM   
rjord2021

With adding dice rolls and in screen game cards to this mod this will certainly not take away any of the great aspects of Distant Worlds Universe.

The way this mod is being developed I am aiming to add more to the game and provide an even more immersive environment for all of us who love Star Trek.

Some of the changes that come in include:

1. Building ships is a lot slower as you need to do the following:
- previously built ship must have left space dock and placed into planetary orbit to receive orders and crew
- when space dock is clear begin construction on next ship
- when finished get clearance to leave space dock
- ship fully crewed, captain assigned and first mission assigned.

2. When you arrive in a system some events may occour
- you may need to pick up supplies from the nearest habitable planet requiring beaming a landing party down to a planet to meet and negotiate with the planetary leaders

- your ships chief medical officer may have been requested to help a planet colony being ravaged by a new disease. Transport him down to the planet to provide medical assistance. You will need to go back to that planet to beam him back to the ship later ( when will be determined by dice throw).

- one of your science teams may request the ship be diverted to the planet to explore a geological, botanical discovery or request to study life on a planet(strict rules of Prime Directive if playing Starfleet). Drop them off at the planet, pick them up later or join them in the landing party.

- Every once in a while your crew will need shore leave and this will be added to the mod as your ships do not have Holodecks on board, Recreation planets are spread through out the galaxy.

- when you receive notification that a character is being transferred to another planet your ship may be the one taking him there. Leave the system you are in , pick up the character and take him to the planet he is moving to.

- you may receive a distress call from a nearby ship or colony and be required to investigate

- you may have a medical emergency to deal with such as space radiation or alien intruder

- pirates may have been operating nearby and you receive orders to patrol a nearby system

- damage control teams working on ship damaged on warping into the system or result of Fire, pressure drop, power ,engine failure or damage to shields, phasers or photon torpedoes

3. When you orbit a planet you may be required to scan it from your ship, or you may need to beam down. Based on the date you may also have an interaction with a character or story line from the TOS episodes eg Harry Mudd

- each planet has its unique events based on what race is colonising it. If that race becomes an Empire you may be sent there with an Ambassador to open peace and trade agreements with that new Empire

4. Play the entire mod as a trader. Pick up goods unique to one world and deliver goods to another world. Your race may not be Klingon, Federation or Romulan and you may be able to go through Romulan or Klingon space without breaking rules of the Neutral Zone or Federation rules of Prime Directive which prohibits Starfleet personnel from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development.

5. For the first time you will need to keep a Captain's Log to keep track of events happening around characters or planets that cannot be handled by Distant Worlds. More on that later. If you are on a trade ship your finances will be recorded in your log book showing how much money you make or lose during a trade run. Each transaction will tell you how much you need to spend buying cargo from a planet and then how much you sell it for on arrival.

Though there is a lot of possible events that can happen in the mod the chances of something happening could be as low as 10% meaning you are free to explore the galaxy with only the occasional events to respond to. Events around planets will depend on many factors determining if you see that event or meet certain characters. If that race becomes an Empire then you will have 100% events happening in their system.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/11/2016 11:17:08 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 126
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2016 8:55:47 AM   
rjord2021

The master template card took 3 hours in photoshop to complete and get the look I was after. The ship will be used in many cards for the Federation but the planet will change with each planet you explore in Distant Worlds.

The cards for the Federation will be in 2 groups:

1. Recreating the TOS tv show and taking on the roles such as Kirk, Spock and McCoy on board the Enterprise herself.

or

2. Less character specific cards so any captain or character can be on any ship in the mod.

One of the 6 cards which may appear when you arrive in the Ceti Alpha system. Used in the Distant Worlds Universe mod "The Return of Khan"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/12/2016 9:17:57 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 127
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/12/2016 8:09:15 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

You roll one dice and you have to roll a 3, then another 3 and finally a 5 to complete the action which in this example is beaming to the ship and leaving orbit.

in the above example some things are not clear to me:

you have to roll a 3, then another 3 and finally a 5

or

you have to roll a 3 or less, then another 3 or less and finally a 5 or less ?

and also:

what happen when you do not roll the requested number ???

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 128
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/13/2016 11:55:28 AM   
rjord2021

When you roll the dice in the example above in post #125, it must either exactly match the number shown or (if an arrow is present on the icon) be higher or lower than the number depicted.

So with the example, you need to throw a 3, another 3 and then any number less than 5 as shown by the down arrow.
With that game I was using as an example you get to roll the dice 3 times to get the result and then if you fail my understanding is that the problem gets worse depending on what the issue is.

Anyway. that is another game.

With my mod I am using the dice to drive the story line and for events like landing parties and repairing damage to the ship, rolling the dice and getting the correct results in the first 3 throws means the landing party beams aboard sooner and the ship can leave orbit. Otherwise, there may be a short wait. Each situation will be different and will be explained. When you arrive in a new system the ship scanners may detect something, or you receive a distress signal from a nearby planet, or you receive a transmission from Starfleet to head back to Earth after you have finished your current mission in his sector. Each time you arrive in a system or orbit a planet, you could have 6 different paths to go from there based on the dice roll....or there is nothing specifically happening and it is a matter of scanning the planet from orbit and moving on to the next system.

When arriving at a planet and rolling a dice some planets may only have an 8% chance of any event happening. When an event does happen, you throw the dice and it will tell you which of up to 6 events has happened.

All of this is still being worked out as the mod is progressing and though it sounds complicated at first it is actually a simple process of rolling one or two dice and taking steps based on the result of that dice.

This means for example that when you refit your ship, there may be a longer delay before you warp out of the system and arrive at your next stop 3 minutes later.

Post #: 129
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/13/2016 12:18:38 PM   
rjord2021

With my mod the majority of the time you will be using the mod as Distance Worlds Universe business as usual going out and exploring planets and having battles with Romulans, Klingons or any one of a hundred races that were colonies on planets and grew to form an Empire.

Just with certain times in the mod you need to throw a dice to see if any action is required.

- dice throw to follow procedures to leave space dock after a refit or to leave orbit of a planet
- when arriving in a system check if any events just occurred...good or bad
- When arriving at a planet check what needs to be done a simple scan from space or a landing party
- Do you get orders from Starfleet which either:
- request you immediately head to another system and drop what you are doing
- complete your mission and then head to another system
- When characters arrive in the mod, there is always the chance your ship will be asked to transfer them to their destination
- There may be medical emergencies on board the ship or at a nearby colony. What does your Chief Medical surgeon do?
- You may be asked to patrol the Neutral Zone if there have been contacts with the Romulans or the Klingons
- If and when Khan Noonien Singh appears in the mod, he will be in one of many story lines you need to interact with
- Cloaked Romulan ships will be attacking your ships at times.. you may be ordered to find and destroy the ships
- You may be asked to transfer Ambassadors between worlds
- Harry Mudd may be up to his old tricks and you are tasked with dealing with him.
- Gary Mitchel may have escaped Delta Vega and is wrecking havoc with his ESP on a distant world

Many stories and possibilities decided by a dice roll.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/13/2016 12:21:00 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 130
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2016 5:26:58 PM   
rjord2021

Just going through a list of 552 species and removing the species living in the Delta Quadrant as they will not be included in the mod.

With the species left they will be added to the mod as either playable species or species colonising the many many many thousands of planets in this mod.

With each species I then pick up the characters for that species as your ship will interact with those members when you discover their planet and initiate First Contact with that civilisation

When you play as the Federation, when you colonize a planet the civilization on that planet becomes a member of the United Federation of Planets which gives the planet support and protection by Starfleet vessels.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 131
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2016 7:35:00 PM   
rjord2021

Finalized the list of species that you will come across in the mod

140 species were removed as they were from the Delta Quadrant
53 species added after cross referencing with a second list of Star Trek species

Result
490 Total species to add to the mod
:anyone of them being able to create their own Empire if you have that option ticked.
:each species being checked for character names and ship names

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 132
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2016 10:33:38 PM   
rjord2021

This post is a preview showing an example of how this mod is going to work with Dice and event cards within Distant Worlds Universe.

For this example I started a new game using my Galaxy Map for the Alpha and Beta Quadrant and started the Federation at Tech 2 level so that the Federation is already out there in the map. The mod is paused at the start and this allows me to do a few things before getting into the mod.

First thing you will notice in the picture below is that the top left of the screen is showing I am running this mod at 0.25 speed. With Distant Worlds Universe you can run the speed of the game at normal speed, very high speed or as in my case here the slowest speed at 0.25. I choose 0.25 because with this mod you have to watch the messages coming in from Starfleet at the top of the screen. If you have already been assigned a mission then you really do not need to respond to the messages from Starfleet.... however you may receive a distress signal from a nearby sector or a ship is being attacked by Romulans and these you want to see and respond to if they are nearby and you are the closest ship. This is the main reason I play the mod at 0.25 speed along with the reason that at this speed the time taken to travel between stars is pretty much spot on with how it appeared in the TV series.

What happens if I receive a distress signal while I am exploring planets? As the Captain of your vessel if you need prompting on should you do anything and what should you do, you would consult the Galactopedia where I have a section about Distress Signal Received which tells you the following:

Starfleet General Order 6 requires its officers to respond to distress calls made by Federation citizens It is Starfleet's policy however, to answer all distress signals.

So if it is close enough to you and no other ships are in the area you need to pause your current mission and warp at best speed to provide assistance. If you run this mod at a faster rate than 0.25x then you may miss the distress signal.

Before unpausing the game I look at where the Federation ships are and , with no Enterprise on the map, I find another Constitution vessel to command. The one I chose in this example shown below is on a mission to explore the Calder II system. This is a very important system for the Federation. If you look at the map bottom right of the picture below you can see Calder II is close to the Romulan Neutral Zone and the Federation will use this system as a means to spy on the Coalition of Planets immediate neighbors; the aggressive Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire.

Calder II is also the system where the Kobayashi Maru test at Starfleet Academy was based on.

So I have selected my ship and taken command of it's crew and we eventually arrive in the Calder II system.

As soon as you arrive in a system you drop out of warp and you see the planets, moons and other ships in that system as shown below.

While at 0.25 x speed you have plenty of time to do the following:

- as soon as you arrive in a system and see the planets in that system, you need to check if you have received any orders from Starfleet. Roll both dice and the value of both dice will tell you if new orders came in and if so what they are. The Galactopedia will explain this in detail.If you did receive new orders after entering the system, another dice roll and checking the Galactopedia will tell you which of 12 possible orders you have been given.

For this example we assume we do not have any new orders and we head towards the Primary planet in this system which is Calder II.

Once we reach orbit around Calder II the first thing you do is to scan the planet. At this stage you throw the dice and your Science Office will come back to you with the results of the scan. To see the results go to the Galactopedia, look up Calder II system and the results of your dice throw for that specific system will tell you 1 of 6 reports from the Science Officer. You may have detected life forms on the planet and go down to the planet in a landing party. The atmosphere of the planet may prevent transporters so you may need to use a shuttle...or you may just dio a scan from your ship and move on.

In all cases you will follow the Prime Directive General Order 1: "No starship may interfere with the normal development of any alien life or society." which may mean you cannot be seen by them at all. If you do go down to the planet where there is a chance you will break the Prime Directive, roll both dice and see if you have indeed broken the Prime Directive..... 8.3% chance you will.

If you do, as explained on the Calder II card in the Galactopedia , then you must head back to your home planet eg Earth and roll dice again when you arrive there to see the results of any action taken against you by Starfleet... again refer to the Galactopedia card in relation to a possible Court Martial.

While all this is going on, other Federation ships are exploring the system and the Rolulans and Klingons may be getting closer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/15/2016 10:43:02 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 133
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/15/2016 11:17:20 PM   
rjord2021

Captains Log and Stardates

While testing the mod in its early stage I have already printed off a 50 page form I have designed as the Captain's Log to keep track of what my missions are in this mod. As we all know, when Kirk started his log at the beginning of each episode, he would say the following: "Captain's log, Star date 12345.1 etc "

In his first mission in the TOS series in the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" the script has Kirk saying the following

"Captain's log, Star date 1312.4. The impossible has happened. From directly ahead, we're picking up a recorded distress signal, the call letters of a vessel which has been missing for over two centuries. Did another Earth ship once probe out of the galaxy as we intend to do? What happened to it out there? Is this some warning they've left behind?"

So for the Captain's Log which is essential for keeping track of what is going on in this mod, it is important to work out the stardate.

This is still being tweaked, but I have a formula I use which converts the date as seen in the top left corner of Distant Worlds and converts it to the Stardate as it was used in the TOS episodes.

So for example in the previous post the picture showed the date 2100.12.24 (day before Christmas?)

My formula run against this date comes up with the Captain saying in my Captain's log book :
Captain's log, Stardate 1311.8

Comparing Stardate 1311.8 to the one used in the first TOS episode stardate 1312.4 suggests that I am playing this mod 8 months before the events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

This equation I am using may be tweaked slightly with more testing but is pretty much spot on converting the Distant Worlds date to the TOS stardate.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 134
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2016 7:56:00 AM   
rjord2021

This afternoon I have started an exciting milestone in the mod and that is the complete customization of the Galactopedia which will be given a complete makeover and will be different for each of the 3 parts of the mod.

Each part of the Galactopedia will be given the Star Trek treatment with the looks and way of talking you would expect to see in the Star Trek Universe and will be important for immersing yourself in this mod.

Over the next few weeks you will see some screenshots of what I am doing with the Galactopedia.... but today we are focused specifically on the name "Galactopedia".

When the Enterprise is facing complete destruction at the hands of a creature they have never encountered before and the creature is trying to access their computer records, Spock doesn't suddenly shout out |It is trying to access our "Galactopedia!"

No... he would actually say that the creature was trying to access the Enterprise's Library Computer Banks for all key information on
Starfleet.

So earlier today I have changed all references in this mod so that you will be accessing the ship's Library Computer Banks instead of the Galactopedia.

See the bottom left of the picture for the new change when I access the new Library Computer Banks instead of the Galactopedia.

EDIT: the terminology shown in the screenshot has now been changed to the more correct term "Access Library Computer Banks"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/16/2016 7:59:28 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 135
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2016 8:27:26 AM   
rjord2021

The messages shown at the top of the screen are also having a major makeover to add some Star Trek atmosphere to the mod.

Starfleet would never send a transmission to Kirk saying that the ship exploded in a dazzling fireball and that it was a trap and the 2nd line saying the immense blast has damaged our ship!

The 2 lines above would probably be changed in the mod to something like.

"One of our scout ships answered a distress signal from an unknown ship which did not answer hailing frequencies. The ship has exploded causing serious damage to our scout's warp and impulse engines. Any ships in the vicinity are asked to provide assistance as required.Starfleet out."

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 136
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2016 8:39:39 AM   
rjord2021

Another replacement message might say"

"We have lost contact with a scout ship that was answering a distress signal from a ship adrift in space. The ship has self-destructed causing damage to the scout and we believe a hostile ship may be in the area. Any ships in the vicinity are asked to provide assistance as required.Starfleet out."

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/16/2016 8:42:10 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 137
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2016 9:07:34 AM   
rjord2021

One significant change to the mod will be with all messages regarding a ship running out of fuel, or needing to refuel. With the impulse and warp engines refueling is not an issue and ships are more likely to have problems if they are running at top speed for too long and their engines get damaged, or if there was sabotage on board the ship or if the engines were knocked offline due to other factors.

Rather than going to bases to refuel the starships are more likely to need restocking of provisions and possible shore leave or changes in crew personnel.

I think changing refueling in the mod will be a significant change I will start looking at this week.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 138
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/16/2016 10:13:11 PM   
rjord2021

The picture below shows the opening page of the Library Computer Banks which will give a quick summary of the history of what the mod is about.

The 11 entries on the right-hand side from aliens down to space creatures will be completely replaced in the mod with an extensive listing of information you will need to succeed in this mod. When I removed the entries from my mod they still showed and I believe this is because when the file is missing from the mod it is picked up from the Distant Worlds base game. This mod will have a procedure to follow to fix this when you play this mod.

A new section is being added which will introduce the role-playing game mechanics to Distant Worlds Universe. With the use of a pair of dice and looking at Events or Alert cards stored in the Library Computer Banks you will play Distant Worlds Universe as if you were a captain on board the many different starships in this game.

Every aspect of the role playing game side of this mod will be shown in the Library Computer Banks whose records will explain the events you have encountered, the action you as the captain need to take as well as were you successful in overcoming the event and if not successful what happened to you and your ship.

As the captain you will be put in situations where you will need to make decisions that may affect the lives of all of your crew.

Your Chief Medical Officer may have beamed down to the planet you are orbiting when a fleet of Romulan warbirds suddenly arrive and you go to red alert and put up your shields. Unable to beam your CMO back to the ship do you stay and fight the Romulans or leave the sector and come back later. Note : If you come back later you may find the Romulans have captured the planet and the whereabouts of your Chief Medical Officer is unknown.

For the purposes of this mod I have had to introduce a concept that this is an alternate timeline from the one seen in the TOS tv series.

According to the tv show made in the 60s Khan ruled a quarter of Earth by the 90s.....as we are well past the 90s and that never happened we are in an alternate timeline and Khan rules these nations at a later date.... 2092.

Khan was in suspended animation for over 250 years but I have changed that to 150 years as a scavenger found Khan before Kirk did and released Khan from hibernation. Therefore in this timeline Khan never meets Kirk in Space Seed and the Events of the movie Wrath of Khan never happen.

Even though Khan does not meet Kirk and therefore does not end up on Ceti Alpha V, the events where the Nations of Earth forced him to flee the planet still happened. Now awake he will find out that Earth has formed a Federation of planets and Earth and any planet which joins the Federation will suffer from Khan's return from exile.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/16/2016 11:07:27 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 139
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2016 12:06:29 AM   
rjord2021

There is no more dangerous an enemy than one who is a superhuman.

Khan is an Augment who was genetically designed to be remarkably agile, five times as strong and twice as intelligent as any normal Human. He is resistant to sickness and has enhanced senses which makes him a formidable and dangerous enemy during combat. This mod will be tweaked so that any encounter with Khan will reflect the intensity of the battle with Kirk in Star Trek II and Khan will prove to be a powerful enemy as he begins to take over entire systems.

While Khan will be the most dangerous threat encountered in this mod there is one other who may be as equally dangerous.

Federation spies have intercepted reports of an individual encountered on a distant world who has similar traits to Khan Noonien Singh from 2092 Earth history. Images of this individual show he cannot be the superhuman who fled Earth 150 years ago but it is without doubt that he has the same superior intellect which made Khan an enormous danger to Earth.

This individual may turn up when you play the mod and wreck havoc in the quadrant.
Some believe this individual is far more dangerous than Khan ever was
Some wonder if this individual is somehow Khan from an altered timeline or an alternate "Mirror Universe"
Some worry if this individual allies himself with Khan and what this would mean to the galaxy.

The Federation has created General Order 40 for all Starfleet personnel to report any contact with either Khan Noonian Singh or this new individual in order for Starfleet to track their movements and fend off any threat these 2 individuals may have to the Federation and her allies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 140
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2016 10:06:19 AM   
rjord2021

Drilling down to extreme detail in this mod

The following is a damage control system which will be added to ships for races such as the Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans and a few others. I am adding this to the mod mainly for my own use however as this may be too complex for some it will be in the mod and entirely optional to use in your gameplay.

At times your ship is going to get into battle and take damage and my mod is going to go into great detail to tell you what damage you took, where on the ship the damage occurred and what effect it will have on your ship.

For example if your warp engine coils and impulse deck are badly damaged your ship cannot move until they are repaired.
If your transporters are out you will not be able to transport to other planets or other ships until the transporters are repaired.

You first roll one dice to determine if damage was minimal, medium or serious damage.... a 1 being minimal and 6 being serious.

You then roll a dice to determine where that damage occurred
- the saucer section
- the secondary hull
- the warp engine nacelle

If the saucer section took damage then one of 32 areas may have taken minimal, medium or serious damage

If the secondary hull was damaged there are 35 areas that may have taken damage

If the warp engine nacelle was damaged you would be looking at one of 20 areas

You roll one dice to see if the damage was to the front of the ship, the side of the ship or the back of the ship.
You would then roll both dice to see which of 12 sections in the front, middle or back were damaged
You then consult the Library Computer Banks to see how this damaged area affects the ship, can you go to warp, do you have shields and can you fire phasers or photon torpedoes if you are attacked by Klingons.

If you take a shuttle down to a planet's surface there is a chance your shuttle may be damaged.
The shuttle Galileo has 18 areas which may take damage... 10 of those preventing the shuttle leaving the planet if you took serious damage. These would need to be repaired before you can head back to the ship.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 141
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/17/2016 11:36:41 PM   
rjord2021

Screen test showing additions of first 3 of 35 Starfleet General Orders into the Science Officers Library Computer Banks. I need the orders be a separate list under a collapsable subheading "General Orders"

When playing the mod you may be referred to any one of the 35 Starfleet General Orders such as Order 1 which is the Prime Directive or just as important in this mod

General Order Seven:
No Starfleet vessel shall visit the planet Talos IV under any circumstances, emergency or otherwise. This order
supersedes General Order 6. Any transgression of this general order shall be punishable by death.

When you first discover Talos IV you will be instructed by the cards to send down a landing party at which time you will encounter the Talosians.

General Order Seven will then come into effect after you have left orbit.

When you are travelling to planets to orbit them , scan them and possibly send down a landing party you first need to check the Library Computer Banks to make sure that the planet is not off limits . A similar order is placed on the Genesis planet in Part 2 of this mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/17/2016 11:52:01 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 142
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2016 9:17:34 AM   
rjord2021

Below is concept art of a Klingon D7 cruiser firing a photon torpedo spread near the planet Talos IV.

While 99% of the concept art is from the mod the torpedoes are pasted from the transparent image in the weapons folder onto the picture as I try to decide which shape and size torpedoes to use.
I think that was a headlight of the first movie in '79 when the Klingons were firing Photon torpedoes into the cloud and I am trying to recreate that look.

I have various shapes of red photon torpedoes I am testing and different races will have different ones with different colors.

Tomorrow I am looking for that one specific sound byte of a photon torpedo firing, perhaps from the Motion Picture itself, to finalize the atmosphere of watching Klingons firing those photon torpedoes at vulnerable ships.

I am looking at possibly randomising the image used for firing the photon torpedo so it is at different angles but suspect I can only use one image.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/18/2016 9:32:21 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 143
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/18/2016 9:43:57 PM   
rjord2021

For well over the last 18 months I have been trying to work out if there was a way to disable the nebulae and gas clouds seen in the maps as they just did not belong in the map I am finalizing. Had no luck finding a solution.

Today I found a solution on the steam forum and am posting below that same post (which this time next week will be exactly 2 years old) in case others are also looking at removing nebulae and gas clouds. With what is said below do the opposite and make sure the box is ticked to remove the nebulae and gas clouds.

Posted by ositodefelpa 25th Μαy 2014

Go to the options screen on the main menu (i.e. the start up menu you get before beginning a specific game), then click on Advanced Settings and look at the "Clean Galaxy View" at the bottom of the window. If the box for Clean Galaxy View is checked, then uncheck it. That might bring the names back for you.

But you have to be out of a specific game to see that option.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/18/2016 9:48:06 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 144
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 6:52:37 AM   
Bingeling

That removes the system names on the map (including gas cloud names and similar). I am not quite able to see how that disables those items. It for sure makes the map harder to navigate, though.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 145
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 6:46:32 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

That removes the system names on the map (including gas cloud names and similar). I am not quite able to see how that disables those items. It for sure makes the map harder to navigate, though.

There is no doubt that navigation is easier when you have the system names on the map and the game actually looks better.

The reason why I was looking at this was due to hard coded text on the map for nebula and other objects (I think it was in a white font) which I was trying to remove from the map as they were not a part of the alpha or beta quadrants. One post I saw 18 months back said that the text could not be removed as it was hardcoded into the game.

However, looking at the map now with system names turned on I do not see the hardcoded text any more and all I see are the objects I have added to the map.

Just a note on some changes in the map between part 1 and part 2 of this mod.

The picture below is from the tv series part of the Kirk era and in the picture you can see Talos IV, the Ceti Alpha system where Khan was left in the Space Seed episode and you can also see the Genesis planet where the Mutara Nebula will also be added.

My understanding is that the Genesis planet was created from the Mutara Nebula in the Star Trek II part of the timeline.... so by rights it never existed here in the tv series timeline so should be removed and added only in part 2 of the mod....Kirs movie era.

However, this is an alternate version of the star trek universe and perhaps in this timeline Genesis was never created and therefore should not be in any of the 3 parts of the map at all.

Anyhow the picture below shows the region of space where the Wrath of Khan took place.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/19/2016 6:50:56 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 146
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 8:22:20 PM   
Lecivius

I'm not criticizing (seriously),because I really like what your doing and I fully appreciate this is a LOT of freakin work. I'm just mentioning in passing that the systems had names, the planets had numbers aka the Ceti Alpha star system had several planets ( Ceti Alpha 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.)

Earth is actually Sol 3 named Earth by one set of lunatic local's

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 147
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 8:37:21 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

it's not clear to me if the above Steam-forum hint delete the nebulaes and gas clouds object from the galaxy map or only the nebulae and gas clouds names..

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 148
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 9:55:39 PM   
rjord2021

Developer Diary 1

The Early concept of adding role play card gaming to Distant Worlds Universe roughly goes as follows:

- You will take on the role of the Starship Captain for the Federation, the Klingons or the Romulans with other races added later.
- When the mod loads up the first thing to do is find out the name of the Captain or Commander you will be playing

If playing Federation, between 2249 and including 2269 there were 38 Federation Captains and one of these will randomly appear at the start of the mod. You could play as James Kirk, Christopher Pike, Robert April , Matthew Decker or even Garth of Izar among many others.

- When you have been assigned the name of the Captain you will also be given the name of the ship you will command
- the aim of the game is that your captain must explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before.

- As Captain you can only do that while you have Command Points. When you succeed a mission you get more command points, if youfail a mission you lose them. If you run out of Command Points you need to return to Earth and the game is over.

- To make it a little easier, when your Captain starts and he sits down in the Captain's Chair on board his starship, the first thing he will do is transfer Command Points on board from his duties on previous ships.

ACTION : Role Two dice to work out the Command Points your captain will start with
: Best case scenario is that you will start with 12 command points which is great
: Worst case is you only have 2 points and this will be bad but not impossible

To get the most challenges from this mod one simple rule should be followed
: For each action only roll the dice once...DON'T thow the dice again if you did not like the result

- Once you know how many Command Points your Captain has write them down in the Captain's Log as you will need it during the mod

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/19/2016 9:58:31 PM >

Post #: 149
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 5/19/2016 11:49:32 PM   
rjord2021

Developer Diary 2

Landing Parties on Planets

When you leave the bridge and head to the transporter room to join the landing party beaming down to the ship, you will need to specify the number of people in the landing party. For example it might be on most occasions Kirk, Spock and Mccoy which means with 2 dice you need to get at least 3 not to lose any mission points.

Let us use the Mission to Delta Vega as an example of how the landing party mission works

- When the game starts your Captain has 10 command points from prior commands

- Before you get to the transporter room you need to know how many will be going down to the planet. On the ship there is a maximum of 6 that can go down at one time.

- Roll one dice to see how many people you decide should go down to the planet. Lets hope you don't roll a 1 as you will go down alone.

- The dice roll is a 4 pretty good

- However, the card for Delta Vega indicates that in the tv show 5 people went down to the planet Delta Vega...you really needed a 5 or more

- as you only took 4 down, your mission points will be the 4 you rolled for the landing party less what was shown on the card (5) less = -1

-This means when you transport down to the planet you will already have a -1 for Mission Points. Not a good start.

You then start the mission and throw both dice three times
- if you get a 7 - 12 value on the dice that step of the mission is going well
- if you get a 2 - 6 value on the dice then that step of the mission is not going well

Following the diagram illustrating these dice throws you will finish the mission in 4 ways

1. Mission was a success all the way through You can add 4 command points
2. Mission had a bad start but finished well You can add 2 command points
3. Mission had a good start but has failed You must remove 1 command point
4. Mission was a disaster and huge failure You must remove 2 command points

Now as the captain if the mission was a disaster you may also have to face the possibility that crewmen were injured or killed

This will apply only if you have 4 or more crew on the landing party.
The first 3 are the Kirk, spock and Mccoy of the party so they cannot be injured or killed
Crew 4 , 5 and 6 are the red shirt security guys who kept on being killed off in the TOS series

If you have more than 4 crew in the party throw one dice to see how many may be injured or killed
If you have 4 crew then you can assume the red shirted security guy is at danger of being injured or killed by the next step.

Throw one dice again to see how serious the injury was.
Values 1 to 3 on the dice means the security guard only had minor injuries and a trip to Medical is all he needs
Values 4 to 6 mean the number of crew selected by last dice throw have fatal injuries and died.

If you had injured crewmen on the landing party or they were killed you must note these in your captains log

At some stage you will be called back to Earth and they will see 3 of your crew died. Starfleet will take a command point away for each crewman lost. Hopefully before then you explore more planets, have better landing party missions and gain some needed command points.

If the missions was a complete success you add 4 command points to the 10 you had at the beginning to give you 14 command points.

If the mission was a failure then you take 2 command points away from the 10 leaving you 8 points.

If this was your first mission and you started with 2 points by rolling two dice with 1 on each dice, then taking away 2 command points means you have no more command points left and need to return to Earth. Game Over.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/20/2016 1:00:11 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI