Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/17/2016 8:20:03 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

1) May 16 2016 - "Frost warnings over night" for northern Toronto Regions (York Region - Newmarket Aurora Richmond Hill)

That would be Temperatures of slightly less than 0 degrees Centigrade / 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Despite perceptions that Canada is North - Toronto is geographically south of Minneapolis St Paul / Seattle and other significant American cities (including all of North Dakota and Montana)

2) I am solely responsible for the weather.

I opened my backyard pool last Thursday. I am actually pleasantly surprised it did not snow.

If I open my pool it will be cold.

If I wash my car it will rain.

If I store my snow blower it will Blizzard

etc.

To open my pool I would need a backhoe delivered by a crane. Sometime not long after my house was built (1933 IIRC) because my backyard is high up and has a retaining wall about 200' long and the ground shifted a little, the pool cracked and rather than try to fix it they just filled it in.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 271
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/17/2016 9:59:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I opened my backyard pool last Thursday. I am actually pleasantly surprised it did not snow.

So, its you, huh? I knew there was someone out there who was responsible. Now what's that address? I have a drone around here somewhere that I not using at the moment.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 272
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/18/2016 2:52:56 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

1) May 16 2016 - "Frost warnings over night" for northern Toronto Regions (York Region - Newmarket Aurora Richmond Hill)

That would be Temperatures of slightly less than 0 degrees Centigrade / 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Despite perceptions that Canada is North - Toronto is geographically south of Minneapolis St Paul / Seattle and other significant American cities (including all of North Dakota and Montana)

2) I am solely responsible for the weather.

If I open my pool it will be cold.

If I wash my car it will rain.

If I store my snow blower it will Blizzard

etc.

Seattle is the furthest north major city in the lower 48. It's on the same latitude with Montreal. Both the North Atlantic and North Pacific have counter clockwise currents that bring tropical water north along the eastern parts of those oceans. They make the Western US and Europe warmer than the same latitudes on the opposite sides of those oceans. The effect is more pronounces in the Atlantic where the North Atlantic is completely open to the Arctic around Greenland and Iceland. The Pacific has the comb of the Aleutians that allows less Arctic flow to get into the Pacific.

Because the Pacific off the west coast of North America is so deep, the continental shelf is right at the coastline, the tropical current stirs up cold deep water which comes up onshore along the West Coast. So ironically even though the region is warmed by the tropical current, the water at the shore is very, very cold. Surfers in Los Angeles usually wear wetsuits. You die of hypothermia very quickly off the Washington or Oregon coasts. Eastern North America has different terrain, the continental shelf extends several hundred miles out to sea which makes the coastal areas shallow and warmer.

Over the next few million years the Aleutians will become a peninsula, it's very active volcanically thanks to the Pacific plate getting subducted there. That will really crank up the moisture coming off the Pacific and may trigger a very long ice age. During the last 2 million years the world has been locked in ice ages with short inter-glacial periods. We're in one of those now. When the ice sheets grow, the oceans drop and the Aleutians turn into a peninsula. When that happens, all that tropical water collects in the Aleutians and isn't mitigated by any Arctic water. It produces a staggering amount of moisture.

During the last glacial period the west had some massive lakes. Lake Bonneville covered a large chunk of Utah and was 1000 feet deep. It was larger in surface area than Lake Michigan and much deeper. Lake Lahontan covered most of NW Nevada. The San Joaquin Valley in California was a giant lake. Southern California extending into Arizona and New Mexico was a verdant green paradise. The entire Puget Sound region was a giant fresh water lake. Then there was Lake Misoula which covers a large part of western Montana and the Idaho panhandle. That one was created by a big ice dam. Recent geology shows it drained and reformed multiple times. The floods when the dams broke crossed all the way across Washington State and down the Columbia River Gorge. In the Gorge the water was 1500 feet high. Rocks that originated in the Rockies have been found 1000 feet up in the Gorge.

Sorry, Geology geeking out...

Back kind of on topic, when those on the East Coast of NA want to blame something for freezing their *** off in May, blame the Atlantic Conveyor current.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 273
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/18/2016 3:18:40 AM   
geofflambert

Sometimes it is amazing how small a thing it can take to get our moderator to geek out.  Other times he's a stone wall of silence.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 274
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/18/2016 3:32:28 AM   
geofflambert

Let's see.  El Nino.  La Nina.

That's different.  When I hit the bold button there were no symbols of where it started or stopped.  It just started, then stopped when I hit the B button again.  Well done.  Anyways, I'm a feminist at heart so I refuse to acknowledge there is an El Nino vis-á-vis  La Nina.  That's a diminutive representation and a La Nina is every bit as big and powerful and bad as an El Nino.  And they both have to wear the same brand of diapers, too.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 275
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/18/2016 3:36:19 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

So, its you, huh? I knew there was someone out there who was responsible. Now what's that address? I have a drone around here somewhere that I not using at the moment.

Hoist with my own poniard

Indeed when it comes to weather and my ability to plan around it for optimal results - well lets just say I suspect I am entirely responsible for global warming despite being a relatively low carbon contributor over all.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 276
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/18/2016 3:48:38 PM   
BBfanboy

It's not the carbon we emit, it's the methane ....

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 277
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2016 1:45:55 AM   
geofflambert

I didn't fact check this article, it's probably full of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZEPRLFPxTY

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 278
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2016 3:04:35 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I didn't fact check this article, it's probably full of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZEPRLFPxTY

The link is about Jenny Agutter. What has she got to do with the damaged telescope? Did she beat you on the head with it when you proposed to her?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 279
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2016 3:43:41 AM   
geofflambert

Oops, I'm never going to find that again.  The dent was made by shrapnel and supposedly "saved the life" of an officer who would go on to be First Sea Lord.  I believe he was on one of the QEs.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/19/2016 3:45:50 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 280
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2016 3:46:32 AM   
geofflambert

Found it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/lifesaving-battle-of-jutland-telescope-to-go-on-display-1-4131283

Post #: 281
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2016 6:54:22 PM   
geofflambert

If you had to write a jingle for ex-lax, what would it be?

C + C Music Factory - "We know, how about The Thing That Makes You Go Poop?"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/22/2016 4:10:00 AM >

Post #: 282
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/21/2016 6:55:42 PM   
geofflambert

I know. I'm from Gorn. We all have warped senses of humor.

Yah, the thing that makes you go poop, poop, poop

Attachment (1)

Post #: 283
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/22/2016 3:41:33 AM   
geofflambert

I don't yet know how to moderate exposure on the camera I have, but here's the best I can do at the moment. A full Moon and a full Mars.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 284
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 8:00:25 AM   
geofflambert

Sorry that I don't have a good pic of one, yet. Any night I spend even a little time watching my back yard I will see at least one o'possum patrolling it. My question is this: Why are these marsupials considered to be Irish? I know, I know; if they were called McPossums they would not be considered to be Scottish, rather they would be part of a Happy Meal.

Post #: 285
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 5:45:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

My question is this: Why are these marsupials considered to be Irish?

Because they are often seen staggering clumsily along at night? And looking for your potato peelings?

Post #: 286
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 5:55:04 PM   
geofflambert

If you're peeling potatoes, throw away the starch portion, it just adds pounds to your bathroom scale. Keep the skins, that's where all the vitamins and minerals are. The o'possum will be perfectly happy with the starch.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 287
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 6:00:45 PM   
geofflambert

I believe I have discovered the answer to this ponderous question.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 288
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 6:11:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

If you're peeling potatoes, throw away the starch portion, it just adds pounds to your bathroom scale. Keep the skins, that's where all the vitamins and minerals are. The o'possum will be perfectly happy with the starch.

In biology class we cut a slice of potato and stained it with iodine to show the distribution of starch. Most of the starch is right next to the skin!
I like the taste of potato skins so I eat the whole Irish enchilada!

Post #: 289
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 10:20:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

I don't yet know how to moderate exposure on the camera I have, but here's the best I can do at the moment. A full Moon and a full Mars.

Is this a UGO? (Unidentified Gorn Object)

Post #: 290
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 11:07:37 PM   
geofflambert

The red arrow points to my starship, waiting to beam me up, if that's what you mean.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 291
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/23/2016 11:11:36 PM   
geofflambert

The green arrow points to a Klingon Bird of Prey just uncloaking. When they realized they were in the presence of a gorn battlecruiser, they behaved themselves.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 292
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/24/2016 1:55:05 PM   
geofflambert

Here is a sequence of a female Downy Woodpecker feeding a juvenile at a peanut feeder.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 293
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 2:06:50 PM   
geofflambert

We often have 'name this ship' challenges on this forum. Name this one.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/27/2016 2:13:44 PM >

Post #: 294
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 2:17:23 PM   
BBfanboy

I think that is a BB - Bridget Bardot.

Post #: 295
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 3:25:59 PM   
Orm

I counter with this one.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 296
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 4:35:29 PM   
geofflambert

Ellie Mae Clampett?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 297
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 4:35:47 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I think that is a BB - Bridget Bardot.

nope

More of a BC if you ask me.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/27/2016 4:38:22 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 298
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 5:05:43 PM   
Orm

Mine was Donna Douglas.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 299
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2016 5:19:21 PM   
geofflambert

If you're throwing Donna I'll just have to throw Dawn back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI