Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 1:15:57 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

One only has to compare with post 2965, falsies are so obvious. They just don't look real, there is no movement in them. Show me a natural pair of boobies any day. Please.... please? anyone?

My WitPAE tutor has a natural pair.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2971
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 2:49:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Fake Boobies...

warspite1

One only has to compare with post 2965, falsies are so obvious. They just don't look real, there is no movement in them. Show me a natural pair of boobies any day. Please.... please? anyone?

I think you meant post # 2966; the post # appears at the bottom right not the top right. Just a reminder: when dealing with boobies, "get it right!".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2972
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 4:11:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

Fake Boobies...

warspite1

I think you meant post # 2966; the post # appears at the bottom right not the top right. Just a reminder: when dealing with boobies, "get it right!".
warspite1

No, I meant 2965. I was comparing the false (toy) Boobies with the real life Boobies (rather than looking at false boobies on real life Boobies in the lower picture) and then trying to compare using language associated with false boobies i.e. talking about boobies rather than Boobies.

I trust that has clarified the situation vis-a-vis the boobies and the Boobies

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2973
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 4:40:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fake Boobies...

warspite1

warspite1

No, I meant 2965. I was comparing the false (toy) Boobies with the real life Boobies (rather than looking at false boobies on real life Boobies in the lower picture) and then trying to compare using language associated with false boobies i.e. talking about boobies rather than Boobies.

You tit.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2974
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 10:36:56 PM   
geofflambert

Anybody have any idea what this thing is? This guy pedals his bike by my house every day, north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Come rain or sunshine he's carrying this contraption across his handlebars. He's been doing this for at least three years. I called out to him once, with a smile on my face, asking what the heck that thing was. He made eye contact but didn't respond. We have a lot of refugees around here, Bosnians and Somalis. I figure he's Somali and didn't understand me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2975
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 11:03:46 PM   
witpqs

It's an early model quantum encabulator. He's trying to open a wormhole.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2976
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 11:17:33 PM   
MakeeLearn

Bridge over the River Kwazy

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2977
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/19/2017 11:20:39 PM   
MakeeLearn

A rebroadcast, I posted this in "Off to see the Lizard"...

PUT THAT LIZARD ON A LEASH

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2978
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/20/2017 4:10:02 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Anybody have any idea what this thing is? This guy pedals his bike by my house every day, north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Come rain or sunshine he's carrying this contraption across his handlebars. He's been doing this for at least three years. I called out to him once, with a smile on my face, asking what the heck that thing was. He made eye contact but didn't respond. We have a lot of refugees around here, Bosnians and Somalis. I figure he's Somali and didn't understand me.

It has tabs at the end to fit into other sections, and he has a couple of road sections below the bridge structure. Must be a Hot Wheels race setup for gambling. I think some cultures love gambling so much they will bet on anything ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2979
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2017 11:30:21 AM   
geofflambert

Birds. Next to one of my hummingbird feeders I've hung a "hummingbird swing". They like to perch and rest a little between feeds if there's a perch for them nearby. They used to perch on telephone wires hanging not far above before I cut them down (I don't have a land line anymore). They won't perch on anything thick, that's why I put the swing there. I saw one perching on the swing going back and forth between it and the feeder, but by the time I had the camera ready it was perching on the top of the swing rather than the bottom (which you can't see in this pic. To the right you see the feeder and to the left you see some raw cotton that's out there for nest building material. A neighbor has seen birds (not hummers) pulling cotton for their nests and I've seen a hummer doing the same. It was taking it to a sweet gum tree in a neighbor's yard. This is a female ruby-throated hummingbird.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2980
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2017 11:51:37 AM   
geofflambert

I have put up many birdhouses this year. So far as I've seen only one of them is "occupied" and it by a house wren. I've never identified one of them before although they're quite common. They're strict insectivores (well not so strict, they eat spiders and centipedes too) and aren't interested in anything I put in my feeders. They would take mealworms I suppose if I could afford those. They're migratory and only come up here when there are bugs to eat. I have Carolina Wrens year round, they also eat bugs mainly but in the winter they feed on the peanuts and suet I put out. The House Wrens will have none of that. Anyway the male House Wren builds the nest and he often builds more than one in case the female spurns one, she might like one of the others. They don't mate for life and are rather promiscuous actually. This one, after building his nest has been singing his heart out. Here are the lyrics: "I need a woman, I need a woman baaaaad!" Now as you know, birds are unaware of our forum rule that boobs or boobies are the answer to everything. They know nothing of boobs but still desperately need female companionship, if only for a little while.
Anyway, yesterday morning I saw two of them, presumably the male who went in and out of the house and presumably a female who inspected the house. In the afternoon there were three. House Wrens are like this, one, presumably an interloping male was chasing the other, presumably the male nest builder, round and round the yard while the third, presumably the female, looked on. This went on for hours. This morning there was only one, it is a he and he is singing his heart out about how much he wants a woman. I have no way of knowing whether the female flew off with the interloper or the nest builder, but probably this is the nest builder and he's SOL for now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2981
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2017 12:10:20 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

many birdhouses this year.

Location, Location, Location... Try to put the nests where they are in the shade for most of the day. And privacy helps. Especially for the Wrens. Iam always tearing down Wren nest in my tractor, and I give them other places to build.

Eastern Phoebes build a nest under the deck every year. Their first batch left the nest about 2 weeks ago. A Robin built a nest in the small tree next to the dog cage this year, for the first time. The Robin is now a regular in the yard which is a new sight.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/25/2017 12:11:37 PM >

Post #: 2982
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/25/2017 7:32:02 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fake Boobies...

warspite1

warspite1

You tit.

You mean a blue one?

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2983
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/29/2017 8:49:51 PM   
geofflambert

Not one but two Brown Thrashers in my yard today

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2984
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/29/2017 8:50:40 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2985
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 8:59:54 AM   
wdolson

I saw a bird I hadn't seen before yesterday. It looked a lot like a robin, but about half the size and it had a pattern of white spots on its wings. I only saw it for a few seconds on the railing of our deck. As soon as it saw me in the house it was gone.

The cats were bird watching in the window, but both missed it as they were looking at me at that moment. In the last couple of weeks they both discovered bird watching and have spent a lot of time in the windows. My SO won't let them out, though they would love it.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 2986
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 2:13:45 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I saw a bird I hadn't seen before yesterday. It looked a lot like a robin, but about half the size and it had a pattern of white spots on its wings. I only saw it for a few seconds on the railing of our deck. As soon as it saw me in the house it was gone.

The cats were bird watching in the window, but both missed it as they were looking at me at that moment. In the last couple of weeks they both discovered bird watching and have spent a lot of time in the windows. My SO won't let them out, though they would love it.

Bill

A Starling maybe, some Woodpeckers have white spots.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2987
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:01:02 PM   
geofflambert

For identifying birds the following site is very helpful:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478#_ga=2.157812351.432688507.1496246314-841942671.1495366780

Also, I just discovered this service (unrelated to birds): https://archive.org/

I haven't tried it yet but will.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2988
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:09:41 PM   
geofflambert

While rarely seen West of the Sierras, it could possibly be a Baltimore Oriole:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2989
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:10:13 PM   
geofflambert

Another:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2990
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:10:59 PM   
geofflambert

An Orchard Oriole:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2991
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:12:30 PM   
geofflambert

Bullock's Orioles are in your area:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2992
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:14:46 PM   
geofflambert

Also in the Portland area are the Varied Thrushes. Robins are thrushes.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2993
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:22:32 PM   
geofflambert

You're a bit North for a Scott's Oriole. All these pics have been of adult males. In each case the females are similar but drabber. Adolescent males can be quite different in coloration.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/31/2017 4:25:23 PM >

Post #: 2994
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:29:37 PM   
geofflambert

Here's an example of variation:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2995
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:35:57 PM   
geofflambert

As you can see here, Black-Headed Grosbeaks come to Portland to breed in the summer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2996
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:41:04 PM   
geofflambert

The variation between adult and adolescent males informs the females of their suitability for breeding. Many adult males of other species get much brighter plumage in the breeding season, Goldfinches and Chipping Sparrows are examples of that.

Post #: 2997
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:43:48 PM   
geofflambert

Some cats I've had make a rapid "yak-yak-yak" sound when seeing birds through a window. I think it's from frustration, they wouldn't make any sound while stalking or preparing to ambush a bird.

Post #: 2998
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:53:01 PM   
geofflambert

At that Cornell site they have many recordings of each type of bird, both songs and calls, and in the cases of woodpeckers the sound of their tapping. Listen to the recordings of the Grosbeak there and then listen for them in your neighborhood, I bet that's what you saw.

Most people don't know this but the woodpeckers don't drum when they're trying to gets grubs or bugs out of a tree's hide, they just dig and pry out their meals. They may drum a little but not the sustained syncopated rhythms. The drumming is a territorial signal. "My turf, stay away". You may hear them drumming on metal siding and other materials because the sound carries farther.

Post #: 2999
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 4:58:36 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the song page for the Black-Headed Grosbeak. It's unusual to show a song for the female of the species, in most cases they don't sing or sing much, maybe a few calls etc.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3000
Page:   <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  98 99 [100] 101 102   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI