Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 4:40:02 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Regulus is significant as the location of the Gorn forward observation base in this solar system.

Chekhov: 'solar system'? Did you mean 'star sector' or 'quadrant'?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3421
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 4:43:23 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Regulus is significant as the location of the Gorn forward observation base in this solar system.

Chekhov: 'solar system'? Did you mean 'star sector' or 'quadrant'?

Phttpptt.

System, Sector, Quadrant, are all different values. Each larger than the one before it. Read your "Everything you wanted to know about Star Trek, but were afraid to ask"

N00b

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3422
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 4:49:23 PM   
Zorch

Chekhov: Captain, we have Regulus on the long range scanners. There may be a problem. Mr. Spock?

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-secrets-bright-rapidly-star-revealed.html

Almost 50 years after it was first predicted that rapidly rotating stars would emit polarised light, a UNSW Sydney-led team of scientists has succeeded in observing the phenomenon for the first time.

They used a highly sensitive piece of equipment designed and built at UNSW and attached to the Anglo-Australian Telescope at Siding Spring Observatory in western NSW to detect the polarised light from Regulus, one of the brightest stars in the night sky.

The research has provided unprecedented insights into the star, which is in the constellation Leo, allowing the scientists to determine its rate of spinning and the orientation in space of the star's spin axis.

The study, by a team at UNSW, University College London, University of Washington and University of Hertfordshire, is published in the journal Nature Astronomy.

"We found Regulus is rotating so quickly it is close to flying apart, with a spin rate of 96.5 per cent of the angular velocity for break-up," says study first author and UNSW scientist Dr Daniel Cotton, of the School of Physics.
"It is spinning at approximately 320 kilometres per second - equivalent to travelling from Sydney to Canberra in less than a second."

Indian astrophysicist and Nobel laureate Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar first predicted the emission of polarised light from the edges of stars in 1946, prompting the development of sensitive instruments called stellar polarimeters to try and detect this effect.

Optical polarisation is a measure of the orientation of the oscillations of a light beam to its direction of travel.
In 1968, other researchers built on Chandrasekhar's work to predict that the distorted, or squashed shape, of a rapidly rotating star would lead to the emission of polarised light, but its detection has eluded astronomers until now.

"The instrument we have built, the High Precision Polarimetric Instrument, HIPPI, is the world's most sensitive astronomical polarimeter. Its high precision has allowed us to detect polarised light from a rapidly spinning star for the first time," says Dr Cotton.

"We have also been able to combine this new information about Regulus with sophisticated computer models we have developed at UNSW to determine the star's inclination and rotation rate.

"It has previously been extremely difficult to measure these properties of rapidly rotating stars. Yet the information is crucial for understanding the life cycles of most of the hottest and largest stars in the galaxies, which are the ones that produce the heaviest elements, such as iron and nickel, in interstellar space."

Regulus is about 79 light years away. During the total solar eclipse in the US in August, Regulus was just 1 degree away from the Sun and was, to many people, the only star visible during the eclipse.

More information: Daniel V. Cotton et al, Polarization due to rotational distortion in the bright star Regulus, Nature Astronomy (2017). DOI: 10.1038/s41550-017-0238-6
Journal reference: Nature Astronomy
Provided by: University of New South Wales

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-secrets-bright-rapidly-star-revealed.html#jCp

August's total eclipse of the sun with the star Regulus visible as a blue dot in the lower left corner. The photograph was taken in Casper, Wyo.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zorch -- 9/18/2017 6:30:54 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3423
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 5:56:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The research has provided unprecedented insights into the star, which is in the constellation Leo, allowing the scientists to determine its rate of spinning and the orientation in space of the star's spin axis.

So did they determine if the star is straight or LGBT?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3424
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 7:38:57 PM   
geofflambert

Hey Steve, if you're reading this you forgot to attach the turn to your email.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3425
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 7:43:42 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

So did they determine if the star is straight or LGBT?

Bipolar

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3426
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 8:10:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

the star, which is in the constellation Leo

Bestiality.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3427
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 8:23:35 PM   
witpqs

August's total eclipse of the sun with the approaching alien space ship visible as a blue dot in the lower left corner. The photograph was taken by a photographer who disappeared in a bright flash.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3428
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 8:34:28 PM   
Zorch

quote:

August's total eclipse of the sun with the approaching alien space ship visible as a blue dot in the lower left corner. The photograph was taken by a photographer who disappeared in a bright flash.

A Gorn spaceship?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3429
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/18/2017 11:55:21 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

A Gorn spaceship?

Ooooo - centreline cannon!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3430
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2017 12:06:56 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The Gorn spacecraft are a biological-mechanical hybrid. That's...well...

BBfanboy...sometimes when a 'girl' and a 'boy' Gorn battlecruiser love each other very much, they...oh, never mind.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3431
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2017 4:29:04 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

BBfanboy...sometimes when a 'girl' and a 'boy' Gorn battlecruiser love each other very much, they...oh, never mind.

Well ..... that explains why the two biggest sections on that battlecruiser look like suction cups!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3432
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2017 10:26:00 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Gorns are hermaphrodites. Only with great care do I avoid becoming pregnant. In fact, the greatest danger is that, if I'm not extremely careful, I might impregnate myself. You have no idea.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3433
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2017 11:36:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
You have no idea.

Where those hands / flippers of yours have been? Oh, I've got a pretty good idea...

Post #: 3434
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/20/2017 10:31:26 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gorns are hermaphrodites. Only with great care do I avoid becoming pregnant. In fact, the greatest danger is that, if I'm not extremely careful, I might impregnate myself. You have no idea.

That's illegal in some states. You might have to sue yourself for custody.

Post #: 3435
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/20/2017 2:15:06 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3436
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/20/2017 9:51:21 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

Are you sure about that? I mean, has someone tried and lost?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3437
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/20/2017 11:34:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

I don't know if the mug rule applies. The Gorn has already confessed that he can do things to himself/herself that defy human abilities .... so why not take impossible legal positions?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3438
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 10:53:27 AM   
geofflambert

I just got an invite from Nextdoor.com to join my "neighborhood". I went ahead and bit as there seemed to be (and may well be) a connection to my neighborhood association. I went in and immediately encountered some racist crap posted by some of my "neighbors". I don't know if Nextdoor.com was started by some Putin trolls but it would be a perfect platform for him to exploit. They can practically peg people by precinct and ward and want more personal info than I'm going to give. Clearly most of the people on it are legit, which is perfect. They immediately feel a sense of trust for their "neighbors". To quote Chelsea Manning (who is despicable in my view), am I living in a dystopian novel?

Does anybody else here have experience with this?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3439
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 10:59:37 AM   
geofflambert

There's people posting pics of cute little lost puppies. If that doesn't get your guard down, what would?

Post #: 3440
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 11:06:10 AM   
Zorch

quote:

I just got an invite from Nextdoor.com to join my "neighborhood". I went ahead and bit as there seemed to be (and may well be) a connection to my neighborhood association. I went in and immediately encountered some racist crap posted by some of my "neighbors". I don't know if Nextdoor.com was started by some Putin trolls but it would be a perfect platform for him to exploit. They can practically peg people by precinct and ward and want more personal info than I'm going to give. Clearly most of the people on it are legit, which is perfect. They immediately feel a sense of trust for their "neighbors". To quote Chelsea Manning (who is despicable in my view), am I living in a dystopian novel?

I have heard of similar experiences in my neck of the woods.

Post #: 3441
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 12:04:54 PM   
btd64

I received one of those flyers. Looked into it and tore up the flyer....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3442
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 12:45:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

We belong to a Nextdoor.com neighborhood here too. Like any public forum, beware how much personal information you provide. There's some blowhards on there, like Facebook friends and acquaintances and some poor behavior. The moderators seem to keep a pretty tight reign on those things though and delete those posts and / or the boor with the bad attitude.

We've found the site useful for getting rid of household goods that we no longer want (e.g., moving boxes) that are in high demand in a larger neighborhood such as ours. There's a lot of 'lost dog' posts on there and a neighborhood watch-sort of program with crime updates. It's useful.

Post #: 3443
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 12:47:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

There's people posting pics of cute little lost puppies. If that doesn't get your guard down, what would?

I would think that would make you start drooling. Tender, juicy, succulent puppies just wandering about the neighborhood? For such a delicacy, I imagine that such sites would be a great place for you to pick up tips on where to find them.

Post #: 3444
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 1:42:06 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Never, ever, click anything you don't know about Of course, Equifax made that moot, but still

Post #: 3445
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/22/2017 3:38:01 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

I would think that would make you start drooling. Tender, juicy, succulent puppies just wandering about the neighborhood? For such a delicacy, I imagine that such sites would be a great place for you to pick up tips on where to find them.

How'd you think they got "lost" in the first place? But when I see their pics later I feel like the Walrus and the Carpenter.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3446
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/25/2017 8:52:31 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I've belonged to the local neighborhood group for about 2 years. 90% of it are lost pet ads, requests for recommendations on house maintenance people (deck repair needed etc.), and local news about local road closures and such. I think someone was complaining about too many political ad signs in his neighborhood during the election and there was someone a few weeks ago who was hair on fire about someone who hit his "Slow Children at Play" sign and drove off claiming it was a hit and run. It wasn't, state law prohibits putting up any kind of traffic sign, but the cops usually look the other way for those signs telling people to slow down because kids are playing.

I've never seen anything like what you saw. It might be more of a regional thing. People around here are pretty quick to denounce that sort of thing.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 3447
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/26/2017 6:59:14 PM   
geofflambert

I want a job writing headlines!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3448
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/26/2017 7:02:56 PM   
geofflambert

What everyone forgets is that name should be pronounced with a long i, as in Einstein. Wiener on the other hand is pronounced with a long e. Wiener means 'someone from Vienna'. Weiner means 'someone who makes wine'.

Post #: 3449
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/26/2017 7:24:51 PM   
Zorch

quote:

What everyone forgets is that name should be pronounced with a long i, as in Einstein. Wiener on the other hand is pronounced with a long e. Wiener means 'someone from Vienna'. Weiner means 'someone who makes wine'.

I don't think either of them is applicable here.

Post #: 3450
Page:   <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI