Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2018 3:53:30 PM   
geofflambert

The next two pics are not mine. You can see more yellow here. On the shaft of the feathers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/27/2018 3:55:33 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4291
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2018 3:54:39 PM   
geofflambert

This is a Red-shafted Northern Flicker. They are to be found in the American Southwest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4292
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2018 4:00:55 PM   
geofflambert

Here's a female Red-shafted.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4293
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2018 6:42:02 PM   
BBfanboy

When I am getting shafted, I don't particularly care what colour it is - I still hate it. But let's not talk politics or the stock market here ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 4294
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/27/2018 8:06:11 PM   
jwolf

quote:

This is a Red-shafted Northern Flicker. They are to be found in the American Southwest.

These guys are devious.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4295
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/28/2018 3:16:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

Nice pics.
I was being humorous, thanks for showing those who didn't know why the esoteric naming based on a color.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 4296
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/30/2018 8:13:24 PM   
Orm

Things to ponder on is on page two and I feel the need to ponder on this. Although me posting about my pondering made the original reasoning to ponder obsolete so now I am pondering on that.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4297
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/30/2018 8:55:15 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Things to ponder on is on page two and I feel the need to ponder on this. Although me posting about my pondering made the original reasoning to ponder obsolete so now I am pondering on that.

RR THE WORLD PONDERS

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4298
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2018 5:42:04 PM   
rustysi

OK, so since we're pondering...

There's a cable TV show here called 'Naked and Afraid', trust me, never watched it. Can't help but knowing about it from all the ads. So, that said they show these people out in some jungle somewhere, and then they show all the critters that may do them harm.

So, here's what I ponder. Does it make me a bad person if I'm rooting for the critters?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4299
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2018 10:40:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Does it make me a bad person if I'm rooting for the critters?

Not at all. You're a bad person for so many *other* reasons, but that one is totally understandable.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4300
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2018 11:44:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

Hoss on the Ponderosa, pondering.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4301
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 12:58:30 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Hoss on the Ponderosa, pondering.

He has a mental 'Blocker'.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4302
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 5:35:05 AM   
FlyByKnight

quote:

So, here's what I ponder. Does it make me a bad person if I'm rooting for the critters?

With how dumb some of those people can be...hardly.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4303
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 4:29:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

There's a cable TV show here called 'Naked and Afraid', trust me, never watched it. Can't help but knowing about it from all the ads. So, that said they show these people out in some jungle somewhere, and then they show all the critters that may do them harm.

Isn't that what the network is counting on? So that a lot of people watch the show in hope of seeing when the critters "win"?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4304
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 4:36:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Isn't that what the network is counting on? So that a lot of people watch the show in hope of seeing when the critters "win"?

So what are your favourite critters? I vote for fire ants!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4305
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 7:42:53 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Rattle snakes. What I like about them is that unless totally surprised they always give you fair warning. At least that was the case in my single encounter with one. I got too close, he rattled, I went the other way. Easy peasy.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4306
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 9:25:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Australian brown snakes!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4307
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 9:30:58 PM   
Orm

I do not think I have a favourite critter.

Although once I had a favourite T-shirt with a picture of a blood filled mosquito on the back.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4308
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 10:09:16 PM   
Zorch

I always root for the red ants vs. the black ants in those nature documentaries. Until an anteater comes.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4309
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 10:16:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I always root for the red ants vs. the black ants in those nature documentaries. Until an anteater comes.

Boo! No love for the red ants here. Black ants in da house! No. Literally. I have black ants in my house.

Anyways, I bet you're the type of guy that roots for the white spy in Spy Vs. Spy, aren't you?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4310
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 10:16:57 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Although once I had a favourite T-shirt with a picture of a blood filled mosquito on the back.

Cool! Where can I get one?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4311
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2018 11:20:52 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Cool! Where can I get one?

You could start here: https://www.spreadshirt.com/mosquito+t-shirts

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4312
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2018 1:00:26 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Boo! No love for the red ants here. Black ants in da house! No. Literally. I have black ants in my house.

Anyways, I bet you're the type of guy that roots for the white spy in Spy Vs. Spy, aren't you?

How did you know????

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4313
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2018 1:44:13 AM   
T Rav

In the spirit of OT, I just had the only flying B-24 Liberator, Witchcraft, fly over my house. An exhibition over at McClellan AFB had it flying guests around for 30 minutes. It's very distinctive 4-engine roar brought me outside and lo, there she was. Very cool...

T Rav

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4314
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2018 12:33:42 PM   
geofflambert

I'm rooting for ant lions, the thing Khan (Ricardo Montalban) put in Checkov's ear.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 4315
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2018 2:23:16 PM   
Chickenboy

Growing up in Southern California, we had a bunch of ant lions along with ant mounds on our elementary school playground. Guess who carefully transferred one to another to watch the 'festivities'?

Post #: 4316
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/3/2018 9:39:39 PM   
joey

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm rooting for ant lions, the thing Khan (Ricardo Montalban) put in Checkov's ear.

You know... this antlion looks like something that would make great villain in a modern scifi movie....

Post #: 4317
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/4/2018 8:48:42 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Black ants in da house! No. Literally. I have black ants in my house.

Go to your local Ace Hardware or whatever and tell them. They have a very nice liquid bait/toxin that works wonders. A couple of drops on the little cardboard squares supplied and watch 'em eat. They bring it back to the nest, no more ants. Been clear for several years now. Careful with young kids and pets while the stuff is out, very toxic.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 4318
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/5/2018 3:34:10 AM   
wdolson

We had ants coming in around the back door. My SO read somewhere that they won't cross cinnamon. I figured it was worth a try, though I was skeptical and I sprinkled the stuff around the door sill. I haven't seen an ant in the house in a couple of months.

Diatomaceous earth (used in some swimming pool filters) is good for any hard shell insect, though it has to be kept dry to stay effective against insects. They get is on their exoskeleton and it basically sands holes in it as they move around. I bought some years ago and the smallest bag I could find (pre-internet) was 50 pounds. I still had most of it when I moved. It does work though.

Another thing that kills insects and is harmless to larger critters is boric acid. Too much on soil will prevent anything from growing (boron is toxic to plants), but it's also toxic to insects. Mammals and birds are unaffected by the stuff. I believe boric acid is used in eye wash.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4319
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/5/2018 8:30:28 PM   
geofflambert

I mix boric acid with brown sugar, put it on a saucer and cover that with an upside down milk crate so the cat can't get into it. Cockroaches are cannibals so if one eats some of this, it explodes, then the next roach comes along and eats that one and it explodes. It's the gift that just keeps on giving. I've heard that cinnamon will deter a lot of things, but it never seems to work on me. I heard of a solution for a bed bug infestation. Some kind of leaves, I don't remember what (acacia maybe?), you lay them around your baseboard and when the bugs go through them they get stuck somehow on the undersides of the leaves. Since I'm thinking of it, I hear that growing onions (garlic, scallions, chives and others) will keep deer from eating anything in your garden near them. Onions don't work on me either. Need to lose a little weight.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4320
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI