Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/26/2016 7:15:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Edit: So why did the Chinese hate it?

They didn't have that much exposure to the saga from the beginning, and don't seem to think putting the effort in to see it all worthwhile.

Indeed. But hate is much stronger than not interested.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 451
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/26/2016 8:39:54 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

[quot3]

quote:

They didn't have that much exposure to the saga from the beginning, and don't seem to think putting the effort in to see it all worthwhile.

Gorns never exaggerate.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/26/2016 8:44:30 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 452
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/26/2016 8:53:06 PM   
geofflambert

Since I converted (against my will) to Windows 10 I've been having a particular problem, aside from the WitP-AE ones.
Everything starts malfunctioning and I get a warning about being low on memory. I'm not low on memory (well, my PC isn't anyway.).
This never happened with Windows 7 or with Vista to my recollection. I seem to remember something from the misty mist of the dusky dusk of previous operating systems.
IIRC I was having the same problems and I had to partition more disk space for active operations, or something like that.
Does that make any sense? Anyone know how to fix? Here's my hard drive, and clearly there is plenty of room.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 453
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/26/2016 9:28:24 PM   
dazoline II

Your drive size is fine, more space than my drive has.
It could be your page file size which is more about RAM than disk size. Take a look at this article.
http://www.kapilarya.com/your-computer-is-low-on-memory-windows-10

quote:

Since I converted (against my will) to Windows 10 I've been having a particular problem, aside from the WitP-AE ones.
Everything starts malfunctioning and I get a warning about being low on memory. I'm not low on memory (well, my PC isn't anyway.).
This never happened with Windows 7 or with Vista to my recollection. I seem to remember something from the misty mist of the dusky dusk of previous operating systems.
IIRC I was having the same problems and I had to partition more disk space for active operations, or something like that.
Does that make any sense? Anyone know how to fix? Here's my hard drive, and clearly there is plenty of room.

Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.

Post #: 454
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/26/2016 9:35:56 PM   
geofflambert

Thanks, daz

(in reply to dazoline II)
Post #: 455
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/27/2016 3:31:59 AM   
geofflambert

I don't normally inflict these things upon you, but you might want to watch the follow-ons as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrPnsgmNbQ

Post #: 456
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/27/2016 8:08:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

[quot3]

quote:

Gorns never exaggerate.

Of course Gorns never exaggerate.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 457
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/27/2016 9:00:26 PM   
Lecivius

Something else to ponder...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 458
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/27/2016 10:35:13 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Something else to ponder...

I've decided from now on I will think of my age in dog years.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 459
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/27/2016 11:57:47 PM   
geofflambert

Who's a good boy? (arf! arf! arf!) Ohh such a good boy! (tail wagging on overdrive)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 460
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 5:41:38 PM   
geofflambert

What's this marketing BS about drinking or otherwise consuming protein for energy? First your body burns sugar, then starch and then fat for energy. Protein is for building cells and making hormones and stuff like that. If your body starts using protein for energy, you are in seriously deep do-do. You are dying of starvation.

Post #: 461
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:07:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

What's this marketing BS about drinking or otherwise consuming protein for energy? First your body burns sugar, then starch and then fat for energy. Protein is for building cells and making hormones and stuff like that. If your body starts using protein for energy, you are in seriously deep do-do. You are dying of starvation.

I am pretty sure that this works brilliantly. For selling the product that is.

Post #: 462
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:16:42 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

You're clearly a marketing pro. How about you and I start selling testosterone pills to raise IQ? That could work, couldn't it?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 463
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:31:01 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're clearly a marketing pro. How about you and I start selling testosterone pills to raise IQ? That could work, couldn't it?

You need a better name so you should contact the marketing department before launching the campaign.

Post #: 464
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:39:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You need a better name so you should contact the marketing department before launching the campaign.

The product shall be "Gorny Ones" and the slogan shall be "Makes Your Little Head Think".

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 465
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:40:50 PM   
Orm

quote:

The 'healthy' people who are concerned with their own weight might avoid products that contain carbohydrates. They definitely avoid things with sugar. And fat is not that popular either. And energy drinks are old news. Protein, on the other hand builds muscle, everyone knows that. Protein shake is a awesome name. And it is not our fault if people get sick by not eating enough other food. We just need to remember to call it a 'compliment'.

Post #: 466
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 7:57:24 PM   
geofflambert

I think this is another Cooper's Hawk in my backyard. I was trying as fast as I could to zoom in and focus when it flew off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 467
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/28/2016 9:58:08 PM   
rustysi

I'm getting dizzy just watching that thing.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 468
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/29/2016 7:03:45 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the best frame I could pull. I think it's a Cooper's Hawk but it might be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 469
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/29/2016 7:15:00 PM   
dave sindel

On a recent vacation to England / Wales, one of our stops was at an aviary outside York that featured Birds of Prey. During the demonstration, one of the handlers mentioned that Harris hawks were now being used to "police" Trafalgar Square. Apparently the local pigeons had covered Lord Nelson's statue with poop.. After cleaning the statue, they were using the hawks to prevent the pigeons from returning to the square.

Post #: 470
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/29/2016 7:28:36 PM   
geofflambert

I read somewhere that some sort of raptors (bald eagles, maybe) were being trained to take out drones. I wish the FAA would outlaw the danged things here unless you have special permits and licensing.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 471
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 3:05:12 AM   
pontiouspilot

I'm damm sure your NRA thinks that infringes something 99% of people have never read!! o0ooops maybe political in the land of the cursed....outside just satirical

Post #: 472
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 9:04:30 AM   
geofflambert

It's good to know that if things get any worse here I can come stay with you, pontiouspilot.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 473
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 9:15:41 AM   
geofflambert

I want to say something to the lurkers out there, the people who haven't set up forum accounts so that they can make comments themselves. Some of you just come here for guilty pleasures, but never contribute your share. You know who you are, "Guest". At some point you'll give in and create a username and avatar. If you are a veteran pilot and have had a few too many servings of turkey stuffing w/gravy, select this username: PauncheousPilot

Post #: 474
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 9:19:52 AM   
Reg

quote:

I read somewhere that some sort of raptors (bald eagles, maybe) were being trained to take out drones. I wish the FAA would outlaw the danged things here unless you have special permits and licensing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/01/trained-eagle-destroys-drone-in-dutch-police-video/

Eagle vs Drone - 2m Wedge-Tailed Eagle takes down Drone

< Message edited by Reg -- 6/30/2016 9:37:21 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 475
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 9:31:01 AM   
geofflambert

Thanks, Reg. Most of these birds are quite capable of inverting and capturing the drone from below, avoiding the props. Most raptors (and falcons, I believe) kill their prey by snipping the spinal cord at the neck with their beaks. The Cooper's Hawks I've been seeing in my backyard don't do that however. They simply squeeze the life out of them, be they birds or squirrels or rabbits.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 476
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 12:33:08 PM   
dave sindel

At the Birds of Prey aviary we visited, I seem to recall one of the handlers saying that Falcons kill by blunt force. They fly so fast and ram their prey and the impact kills the prey.

Post #: 477
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/30/2016 4:46:08 PM   
geofflambert

That's right, I've seen video. The pigeon is dead before it hits the ground, though I think sometimes the falcon returns and grabs it out of the air. With pigeons in particular, breaking their necks is probably the easiest way. When you see video of such an attack, there's feathers flying everywhere.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 478
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/2/2016 8:00:17 PM   
geofflambert

I just stumbled into this: Boba Fett reimagined as a fallschirmjaeger.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 479
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/2/2016 8:19:00 PM   
geofflambert

Here is what they're converting those old M1 Abrams with the 105 into.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI