Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/18/2020 9:12:19 PM   
RangerJoe

That bear is more scared of you than you are of her. Just don't hit her with a vehicle.

Starlings are all over. Some IDIOT released some because he wanted them in the US because Shakespeare had them in his plays. Just like someone wanted to hunt rabbits in Australia.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5311
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/18/2020 9:24:03 PM   
RangerJoe

Of course, then there is the male bear who could not walk it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wt1EnCEDpY

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5312
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/18/2020 10:07:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Oddly enough I have been seeing more diverse bird life recently. More blue jays, robins, etc. And then a couple of days ago a pair of starlings. I thought they usually stayed pretty close to the ocean. We are about 75 miles from the ocean. But they are fun to watch. I still have never caught our blue heron taking a fish. But I did see our bear a few days ago. she and I have an agreement we won't eat each other.

If the bear goes up a tree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YYzrnmwd_0

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5313
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/19/2020 1:41:19 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Oddly enough I have been seeing more diverse bird life recently. More blue jays, robins, etc. And then a couple of days ago a pair of starlings. I thought they usually stayed pretty close to the ocean. We are about 75 miles from the ocean. But they are fun to watch. I still have never caught our blue heron taking a fish. But I did see our bear a few days ago. she and I have an agreement we won't eat each other.

We have starlings here in the middle of the continent. My bird book shows their range as coast to coast from the arctic tundra to northern Mexico.

The only really unusual sightings I have had were a coyote on the ice in the middle of the river in late March (in the pre-dawn twilight) and a couple of beavers on separate occasions swimming up-river (kicked out of their lodge for inappropriate behaviour, I guess).
Otherwise, watching a lot of ducks and geese on the river - about twice the usual crop. The wood ducks are most colourful but the white scaup ducks are easiest to spot. When the ducklings started to take to the water, I saw one adult duck with at least 20 ducklings following closely - duck day care!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5314
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/19/2020 1:47:49 AM   
BBfanboy

A wood duck pair:

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5315
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/19/2020 1:48:36 AM   
BBfanboy

Greater scaup duck:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5316
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/19/2020 1:49:51 AM   
fcooke

We have a pair of geese who pretty much call our pond home......

There's some coyotes out there and the dogs will not not leave the safety of the house lights at night. There have been deer corpses some mornings. But the dogs are smart and are not going into the woods at night.

Had ducks come in last year for a day or two but then left. I would like to have full time ducks on the pond. Might even feed them as compensation.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5317
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/19/2020 8:27:32 PM   
geofflambert

This appeared in the NYT today in print but it's not in the online version of the article. I want a decent copy of it, it looks like a Pieter Bruegel painting, sorta.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5318
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/3/2020 4:06:12 AM   
RangerJoe

So the male birds did change their tune and are doing so again. The question is, does it help get the females:

Twenty-year study tracks a sparrow song that went 'viral' across Canada

quote:

Most bird species are slow to change their tune, preferring to stick with tried-and-true songs to defend territories and attract females. Now, with the help of citizen scientists, researchers have tracked how one rare sparrow song went "viral" across Canada, traveling over 3,000 kilometers between 2000 and 2019 and wiping out a historic song ending in the process. The study, publishing July 2 in the journal Current Biology, reports that white-throated sparrows from British Columbia to central Ontario have ditched their traditional three-note-ending song in favor of a unique two-note-ending variant—although researchers still don't know what made the new song so compelling.

"As far as we know, it's unprecedented," says senior author Ken Otter, a biology professor at the University of Northern British Columbia. "We don't know of any other study that has ever seen this sort of spread through cultural evolution of a song type." Although it's well known that some bird species change their songs over time, these cultural evolutions tend to stay in local populations, becoming regional dialects rather than the norm for the species. This is how the two-note ending got its start.

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-twenty-year-tracks-sparrow-song-viral.html

― Julia Child

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5319
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/3/2020 4:21:10 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

So the male birds did change their tune and are doing so again. The question is, does it help get the females:

Twenty-year study tracks a sparrow song that went 'viral' across Canada

quote:

Most bird species are slow to change their tune, preferring to stick with tried-and-true songs to defend territories and attract females. Now, with the help of citizen scientists, researchers have tracked how one rare sparrow song went "viral" across Canada, traveling over 3,000 kilometers between 2000 and 2019 and wiping out a historic song ending in the process. The study, publishing July 2 in the journal Current Biology, reports that white-throated sparrows from British Columbia to central Ontario have ditched their traditional three-note-ending song in favor of a unique two-note-ending variant—although researchers still don't know what made the new song so compelling.

"As far as we know, it's unprecedented," says senior author Ken Otter, a biology professor at the University of Northern British Columbia. "We don't know of any other study that has ever seen this sort of spread through cultural evolution of a song type." Although it's well known that some bird species change their songs over time, these cultural evolutions tend to stay in local populations, becoming regional dialects rather than the norm for the species. This is how the two-note ending got its start.

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-twenty-year-tracks-sparrow-song-viral.html

Just the younger generations shortening things because they are too lazy to sing all the notes, or because of the internet ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5320
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/3/2020 7:22:45 AM   
Ian R

Do you reckon he's got any food in there?

Why don't you scout around while I crap on the BBQ?

Better than flying around in the rain, anyway.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5321
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/3/2020 5:37:17 PM   
geofflambert

One morning I was woken rather late, in a jolting fashion. The Sun was well up and I heard this cardinal on my window air conditioner. Obviously a male, I could tell (the way you often can when you're just waking, still half asleep) what he was singing. It went like this (the first syllable descending with the last kicking up):

Sooooooooooooooo purdee, Soooooooooooooo purdee, Soooooooooooooo purdee purdee purdee purdee!

He was singing an ode to himself.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5322
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2020 12:02:29 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

One morning I was woken rather late, in a jolting fashion. The Sun was well up and I heard this cardinal on my window air conditioner. Obviously a male, I could tell (the way you often can when you're just waking, still half asleep) what he was singing. It went like this (the first syllable descending with the last kicking up):

Sooooooooooooooo purdee, Soooooooooooooo purdee, Soooooooooooooo purdee purdee purdee purdee!

He was singing an ode to himself.

Congrats on the mirror-clean windows! Perhaps other birds will hear of it and come to admire themselves.

Post #: 5323
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2020 11:46:52 AM   
fcooke

Mirror clean windows means the birds fly into them. In NYC there's a morning routine where maintenance folk go out in the early morning to clean up the ones who fly too fast into the shiny skyscrapers.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5324
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/4/2020 6:20:20 PM   
RangerJoe

That is not bad if it is a grouse or something like that. A turkey might break the window. Put up a window cling of a Hawk or an Owl then you won't have birds hitting the windows.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5325
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/6/2020 5:33:50 PM   
Ian R

Dug this up - took it 10 years ago. If one of these is outside your window, no alarm clock necessary.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5326
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/6/2020 7:30:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Dug this up - took it 10 years ago. If one of these is outside your window, no alarm clock necessary.

Well, when you have a jungle on your balcony you have to expect kookaburras! Did he laugh at you (per the song)?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5327
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2020 1:49:53 AM   
Will_L

A pair of mockingbirds decided to nest in the juniper bush in my front yard. I'm glad that I sleep in the back bedroom since they are teaching the chicks their song, a mashup of every single car alarm in existence. They go until around 3:30 in the morning, take a nap and start up again around 4:30. Didn't have them in my area until West Nile Fever killed off a lot of the sparrows and pigeons which we were inundated with.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5328
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2020 2:40:19 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

A pair of mockingbirds decided to nest in the juniper bush in my front yard. I'm glad that I sleep in the back bedroom since they are teaching the chicks their song, a mashup of every single car alarm in existence. They go until around 3:30 in the morning, take a nap and start up again around 4:30. Didn't have them in my area until West Nile Fever killed off a lot of the sparrows and pigeons which we were inundated with.

The joy of birds in the city is their bird songs.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 5329
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2020 4:56:25 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Well, when you have a jungle on your balcony you have to expect kookaburras! Did he laugh at you (per the song)?

He used to sit on the ledge outside my bedroom window and announce the rising of the sun.

It was like a 30 round mag going through a Bren gun.

This little fellow, on the other hand was the C.O. of a company of about a dozen rainbow lorikeets, who mostly visit in mating pairs, but quite often would all line up on the balcony raid. Smart, curious, and totally unafraid of humans - happy to come and sit on your hand and eat. Omnivorious, but eat a lot of fruit and nectars. They basically thrive in conditions of human development, and are under no threat. You do not often see the juveniles (with a darker coloured beak), so I expect they have them stashed up a tree somewhere when the do their rounds of the silly humans they visit to get free food.

They are also cheeky little buggers.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5330
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2020 9:34:45 AM   
Zorch

This thread is for birdbrains.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5331
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/7/2020 6:46:17 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

This thread is for birdbrains.

That is why you like it so much.

That movie was based on a true story.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5332
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 11:10:24 AM   
geofflambert

Jammin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0XcerLxiE

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5333
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 11:17:49 AM   
geofflambert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqdRQxgtZtI

Post #: 5334
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 11:25:02 AM   
fcooke

I've had a couple of interesting bird moments. At a party once in our building when we lived Hoboken. Some type of keet flew in through a window. I eventually convinced it I was a friendly and it let me take it to my apartment. I didn't have a birdcage so I kept it in the 2nd bathroom. It made a bit of a mess of it, but at least it was just the bathroom and not the whole place. Put up flyers but no owner appeared, but someone did come forward to adopt, so that was good.

Later in Hoboken, in our brownstone, we did not have screens on the windows, and a sparrow flew in and settled in one of our lights (a bowl shaped job). It let me hold it and release back out the window. So maybe I have a way with birds.

Post #: 5335
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 11:25:12 AM   
geofflambert

start listening at 1:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEPkDvfyz0

Post #: 5336
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 12:02:57 PM   
geofflambert

I don't have a screen on the window I take pictures from. One year a chimney swift flew in. They can only perch on vertical surfaces and if they're grounded they're absolutely helpless and can't get airborne. My cat was in the room and very interested. The bird was flapping and squawking something fierce. I picked it up by the wings just aft of the wrist between thumb and index finger and took a close look at it (I wasn't sure at the time what kind of bird it was) then heaved it back out the window and it flew off nicely. The next year it happened again. This time the bird didn't flap or squawk and was very calm while I picked it up and tossed it out the window. I had to wonder if it was the same bird.

Post #: 5337
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 3:47:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

start listening at 1:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEPkDvfyz0

I didn't know Darth Vader had a pet!

Post #: 5338
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 4:25:01 PM   
geofflambert

I knew an amazon that did the music from Jurassic Park. Perfect for the little T-Rex. When the T-Rex's pupil would narrow from the flashlight in it's eyes, so would the pupils on Bogart the amazon. If you know amazons, that means hide your fingers or they might get bitten off.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5339
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/12/2020 8:19:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I knew an amazon that did the music from Jurassic Park. Perfect for the little T-Rex. When the T-Rex's pupil would narrow from the flashlight in it's eyes, so would the pupils on Bogart the amazon. If you know amazons, that means hide your fingers or they might get bitten off.

Yes Amazons are fierce and will bite things when excited. Be glad if it's only your finger ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5340
Page:   <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI