Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:17:56 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Here in St. Louis, we are smack dab on the boundary line between the territories of the Black-Capped Chickadee and the Carolina Chickadee.
I'm going to have to call this one a Black-Capped Chickadee though they are terrifically difficult to distinguish, one from the other.
Looks malnourished. It has discovered an unlimited supply of sunflower seeds so that should be receding into the past.

I saw one here in Arizona last week that looked just like that! Which is it? I didn't even know we had chickadees here.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 541
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:27:47 AM   
Lowpe

I have black capped chickadees, tons of them....I will call that one a Carolina.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 542
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:32:13 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I have black capped chickadees, tons of them....I will call that one a Carolina.

Now this is why we call them bird brains. It has a black cap, so naturally it's a Carolina Chickadee.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 543
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:45:29 AM   
BillBrown

It is a bit too white to be a Carolina, has to be a black cap.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 544
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:10:01 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Here in St. Louis, we are smack dab on the boundary line between the territories of the Black-Capped Chickadee and the Carolina Chickadee.
I'm going to have to call this one a Black-Capped Chickadee though they are terrifically difficult to distinguish, one from the other.
Looks malnourished. It has discovered an unlimited supply of sunflower seeds so that should be receding into the past.

I saw one here in Arizona last week that looked just like that! Which is it? I didn't even know we had chickadees here.

In Arizona you should see some mountain chickadees from time to time. The black-capped chickadees do range well into Colorado, so you might see them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 545
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:12:11 PM   
geofflambert

Chickadees are about the smallest birds I ever see except for hummingbirds. You might confuse house sparrows, they are a bit larger than finches.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 546
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:18:29 PM   
geofflambert

The song of the Black-capped Chickadee, as well as the Carolina (they imitate each other to some extent) which some describe as "chicka-dee-dee-dee" sounds more to me like "chicka-buzz-buzz-buzz".

If you want to hear it go here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/sounds

Post #: 547
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:18:45 PM   
Lowpe

You haven't convinced me it isn't a Carolina...my Black Capped are much more buff around the breast currently. Read that however you want to.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 548
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:22:59 PM   
geofflambert

Another distinguishing thing about the chickadees is in the case of sunflower seeds in the shell (I use black oil sunflower seeds) they take one from the feeder and fly off with it to, say, a tree branch to break the shell against the branch. Finches and sparrows crack them open with their beaks and eat them at the feeder, and stay to eat some more.

Post #: 549
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 1:28:12 PM   
geofflambert

You could be right, notice the bluish cast to the feet. Anyways, in border areas they do sometimes hybridize, so calling them different species is dubious in the eyes of some.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 550
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 3:12:16 PM   
witpqs

Definitely not the Mountain Chickadee or the House Sparrow. Looked most like the photo of the Carolina Chickadee, but the white area seemed less extensive on the bottom edge. Perhaps the way the bird was sitting.

I'll have to wait until I see it again, maybe get an autograph.

Post #: 551
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 3:32:32 PM   
geofflambert

Here's another comparison. Either way the "chicka-buzz-buzz-buzz" call is what you hear when they approach a feeder, announcing the presence of food.
The song you may hear, away from the feeder is a simple two note song, a long high note followed by a long note about half an octave lower.

Here again, the Carolina has blue tinged feet and legs and the Black-Capped purplish-yellow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/18/2016 3:37:27 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 552
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 3:56:03 PM   
Lecivius

This thread has gone to the birds...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 553
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:20:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

This thread has gone to the birds...

It looked like that one! It looked like that one!

Face it, man, where else can you get the mix of discussions you get around here?!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 554
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:23:50 PM   
pontiouspilot

hmm...impressive range and durability....might have to build some of those!

Over the winter I realized where the expression "pecking order" came from. There was a fresh road-kill moose (sorry Bullwinkle)and perched on top feeding was a large bald eagle. The trees around were covered in our very large and voracious ravens (they get close to 2' tall here)and further back were the magpies, all waiting their turn. Eagles are fairly rare here but the ravens knew their place in the pecking order.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 555
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:27:55 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Over the winter I realized where the expression "pecking order" came from. There was a fresh road-kill moose (sorry Bullwinkle)and perched on top feeding was a large bald eagle. The trees around were covered in our very large and voracious ravens (they get close to 2' tall here)and further back were the magpies, all waiting their turn. Eagles are fairly rare here but the ravens knew their place in the pecking order.

Yes, but once in the air, a bald eagle is no match for a raven, it is like a Zero pestering a B-25.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 556
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 4:32:43 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Yes, but once in the air, a bald eagle is no match for a raven, it is like a Zero pestering a B-25.

For the most part I agree with you. I have seen, with my own eyes, a baldy in flight roll over and casually shred a raven that was harassing it, then roll back over and continue on. It was a seriously impressive sight. I doubt I will ever see it again, but my son and I were sure cheering madly

Post #: 557
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 5:15:27 PM   
geofflambert

In case you missed it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/18/army-pilot-receives-medal-honor-vietnam-heroism-49-years-later/87245696/

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 558
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 5:38:14 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

In case you missed it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/18/army-pilot-receives-medal-honor-vietnam-heroism-49-years-later/87245696/

"Kettles told USA TODAY he's especially proud that the eight men he rescued 49 years are not names on the wall at the Vietnam memorial in Washington. “That’s what matters,” he said."

That is what matters.

Post #: 559
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:22:11 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

You haven't convinced me it isn't a Carolina...my Black Capped are much more buff around the breast currently. Read that however you want to.

Hummm - gymnasium, or implants?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 560
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:34:17 PM   
Lowpe

Here is one of my favorite birds from the backyard feeder.

Brood parasitic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 561
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:43:32 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Hummm - gymnasium, or implants?

I was wondering how long it would take for a comment like that...

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/18/2016 6:46:24 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 562
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:49:04 PM   
geofflambert

Yes, I have pics of cowbirds from my backyard. Similar to the cuckoo (various species) they do not raise their young, but lay the eggs in the nests of other species so that they raise them. Some of the smarter "victims" recognize the imposter eggs and eject them or destroy them. Something in dispute is whether or not the young, like the young of the cuckoo, eject the eggs or hatched nestlings they find themselves with. I'm inclined to seek proof that they ever do, and I've seen evidence that at least they don't always do that.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 563
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:52:37 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Here is one of my favorite birds from the backyard feeder.

Brood parasitic.

That, by the way, is a male Cowbird. I suppose it should be called a Bullbird. Here's a pic of the female of the species.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 564
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 6:55:39 PM   
geofflambert

Here's another

If I'm not mistaken, they got that name because they ride on the backs of cows (and horses, etc.) watching for insect prey (like horseflies, and hooray for the cowbird for that). If you've ever had a chunk of your hide removed by the bite of a horsefly, you know what I mean. They also prey on the flies attracted to the cow manure and the resulting maggots.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/18/2016 7:05:49 PM >

Post #: 565
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 7:00:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

That, by the way, is a male Cowbird. I suppose it should be called a Bullbird. Here's a pic of the female of the species.

She looks to be nagging a little.

Post #: 566
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/18/2016 7:06:58 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

She looks to be nagging a little.

We can do without the misogyny, I think. By the way, I've thought of doing an AAR where I lie my derriere off about what's actually happening. I was going to title it "Britches in Heat".

Remember, Matrix Games would frown on any remarks about pantsuits here. So don't do it.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/18/2016 7:13:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 567
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/19/2016 7:49:02 PM   
geofflambert

Totally OT but I've been having big problems with Google Maps lately. Is Google Maps trying to use Apple Maps to answer my requests? Here's an example.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 568
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/20/2016 10:52:27 AM   
geofflambert

Here is the text of an email I sent to a couple of friends who would understand it. I'm posting it here because I realize that my existence is finite and that I have a finite number of people to communicate with. The meaning of it will likely not be clear to many of you unless you do a little digging. I'm thinking Hemingway would be proud of me. The reference to "Tyson" is to Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The thought:

-----Original Message-----

I just stumbled into Carmichael Numbers. Had never heard of them before. I remember in school being taught that we might be living in a "saddle-shaped" universe. I couldn't understand how the universe could have a shape, saddle or otherwise, without an outside point of reference. How to construct a wall (limit) between that which is and that which isn't? What would it be made of? I recently heard Tyson say out loud and unequivocally that the universe was infinite and that the "Big Bang" was just a large black hole exploding. I had thought this for a very long time but nobody would say that the Earth wasn't flat. I was thinking, and I'm just talking about the unwashed masses including myself, that we have treated infinity as though it was imaginary. It is inevitable and inescapable. There is nowhere to hide from it. What is imaginary and will always remain so is any idea of finity.

Post #: 569
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/20/2016 1:58:03 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Totally OT but I've been having big problems with Google Maps lately.

How can you be Off Topic in an Off Topic thread about things that are Off Topic?

Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI