Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/20/2016 3:38:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Here is the text of an email I sent to a couple of friends who would understand it. I'm posting it here because I realize that my existence is finite and that I have a finite number of people to communicate with. The meaning of it will likely not be clear to many of you unless you do a little digging. I'm thinking Hemingway would be proud of me. The reference to "Tyson" is to Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The thought:

-----Original Message-----

I just stumbled into Carmichael Numbers. Had never heard of them before. I remember in school being taught that we might be living in a "saddle-shaped" universe. I couldn't understand how the universe could have a shape, saddle or otherwise, without an outside point of reference. How to construct a wall (limit) between that which is and that which isn't? What would it be made of? I recently heard Tyson say out loud and unequivocally that the universe was infinite and that the "Big Bang" was just a large black hole exploding. I had thought this for a very long time but nobody would say that the Earth wasn't flat. I was thinking, and I'm just talking about the unwashed masses including myself, that we have treated infinity as though it was imaginary. It is inevitable and inescapable. There is nowhere to hide from it. What is imaginary and will always remain so is any idea of finity.

The map search was for a street view of your home? Clearly you have found the black hole that you crawled out of, so the people saying a black hole is inescapable are wrong! Maybe it's that cool collar/bandolier that you are wearing.
So, can you observe the saddle-shaped universe from your infinitely deep black hole?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 571
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/20/2016 9:17:39 PM   
Orm

I wonder if there is different definitions on what the universe is... And if the definition changes with the different creation theories.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 572
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 5:26:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I wonder if there is different definitions on what the universe is... And if the definition changes with the different creation theories.

Not just one universe - some scientists working in the sub-atomic world of quarks have postulated that there could be 11 parallel universes, each dominated by one of the known quarks. Ours is dominated by the gravity particle which makes matter possible.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 573
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 5:40:42 AM   
MuguNiner

My universe is dominated by the IPA particle.

USMC 1976-80

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 574
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 5:43:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuguNiner

My universe is dominated by the IPA particle.

A golden tasty one then! Must be the heaven universe. Cheers!

(in reply to MuguNiner)
Post #: 575
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 1:06:43 PM   
geofflambert

So, (I hate it when people start sentences with the word "So", but it is perfectly acceptable for gorns to do so) I have hummingbird feeders in my back yard.
They worked perfectly in the spring but at some point honey bees discovered them. One of them is "bee proof" and indeed, as far as I can see their tongues (or glossi) cannot reach the artificial nectar. But they know it is there and spend some effort trying anyway. The hummingbirds have a very negative view of sharing with honey bees and often just fly off without a feed.
So, (there I go again) I decided to try using bird waterers filled with sugar water to distract them away from the hummingbird feeders. So, that kinda worked, I guess, but attracted a lot more bees. Here is a clip of those bees after they have sucked a waterer free of sugar water.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 576
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 1:17:04 PM   
geofflambert

You can see that there are bees inside the vessel hunting for sugar water. So, anyway, last evening I went out and exchanged the empty vessel with a loaded one. I take a flashlight to make sure there are no bees, but wear gloves anyway because I got stung once.
So, anyway, the dawn hour arrived this a.m. and I could see that the bees were already swarming the waterer. So, what I couldn't see til it got a bit lighter was that they had already drained it completely and there were bees inside the vessel. Nocturnal bees!?! So, who knew that? Not me. We're talking over 8oz of sugar water gone, just like that!
So, anyway, here's a pic of part of my backyard so you can see the setup.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 577
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 2:22:50 PM   
Lecivius

I try to help pollinators myself, but all I draw are wasps

Post #: 578
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 4:22:01 PM   
geofflambert

Those white Anglo-Saxon people are really pesky. Try floating rotten eggs in a pail of vinegar to ward them off. Did you know that the word vespa which is related to the English word wasp actually refers to hornets, not wasps?

Incidentally, I did not get that tip about the rotten eggs from Martha Stewart.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/21/2016 5:12:58 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 579
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 7:28:40 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Actually I had issues as well.

We grow lots of wildflowers in and about the yard now. We live near a conservation area where the bee's are being helped and supported by the municipality and some very sincere minded volunteers.

But as i did it I ended getting a lot of Wasps (or Hornets? What is the difference?).

I put up those silly paper "fake" Wasp nests that were inexpensive from i.e. Canadian Tire (perhaps Home Depot or Walmart in USA).

It didn't stop 100% but it was surprisingly effective.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0593500P/bee-free-bee-free-natural-wasp-deterrent-2-pk-reviews/reviews.htm

Your milage may vary as lots of people say they are a waste of money.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 7/21/2016 7:34:07 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 580
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 7:56:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

So, (I hate it when people start sentences with the word "So", but it is perfectly acceptable for gorns to do so) I have hummingbird feeders in my back yard.
They worked perfectly in the spring but at some point honey bees discovered them. One of them is "bee proof" and indeed, as far as I can see their tongues (or glossi) cannot reach the artificial nectar. But they know it is there and spend some effort trying anyway. The hummingbirds have a very negative view of sharing with honey bees and often just fly off without a feed.
So, (there I go again) I decided to try using bird waterers filled with sugar water to distract them away from the hummingbird feeders. So, that kinda worked, I guess, but attracted a lot more bees. Here is a clip of those bees after they have sucked a waterer free of sugar water.

warspite1

So now this has turned into the Birds and the Bees thread Listen Gorn, I'm sure it's no different where you come from than it is on Earth. When two humans/Gorns love each other very much they have a special cuddle and.......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 581
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 7:59:38 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

But as i did it I ended getting a lot of Wasps (or Hornets? What is the difference?).

Wasps look really wicked, but they want nothing to do with you and most of them predate on other insects. Hornets are mad as hell and they are not going to take it anymore and like stinging people very much.
There is a kind of wasp that wants to get into your soda can and then sting you when you try to take a drink. Those are called yellowjackets. You can't have a picnic in the US without encountering them. Hornets love to build nests on man-made towers, power line towers, microwave towers and et cetera. The guys who are sent up to maintain whatever is on the top of those structures carry no insurance. Why not? Because no insurance company, not even Liberty or Geico will insure anyone who has to climb up through 800 feet of hornet's nests who are really angry even before they see you.
If you like heights and climbing to get there, like animals with venomous stingers who don't listen to reason, you can work as an uninsured contractor for companies that maintain those sorts of structures. You do not have to be a US citizen, either.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 582
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:03:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Wasp was smaller and more lightly armoured than Hornet - effectively a way of using up the available tonnage.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 583
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:13:09 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

So now this has turned into the Birds and the Bees thread Listen Gorn, I'm sure it's no different where you come from than it is on Earth. When two humans/Gorns love each other very much they have a special cuddle and.......

You are so greatly mistaken. When gorns mate, yes they cuddle, but then the female eats the male and that's the end of him. I refuse to take part in such rituals.

I have even been known to shed my tail at the approach of a female.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/21/2016 8:18:28 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 584
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:17:02 PM   
Lecivius

MEANWHILE....

Back on Things To Ponder.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 585
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:21:41 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Wasp was smaller and more lightly armoured than Hornet - effectively a way of using up the available tonnage.

Yes, she was so light because they dropped the "u" to make her really lightly armored.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 586
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:23:22 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

MEANWHILE....

Thank you Lecivius for the interruption that refreshes!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 587
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:23:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

You are so greatly mistaken. When gorns mate, yes they cuddle, but then the female eats the male and that's the end of him. I refuse to take part in such rituals.

I have even been known to shed my tail at the approach of a female.
warspite1

Mistaken? Moi? Don't be so ridiculous.....

Post #: 588
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:27:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, she was so light because they dropped the "u" to make her really lightly armored.

warspite1

No sir, that had nothing to do with weight saving programmes - and everything to do with the fact that our colonial cousins forgot how to spell properly when we decided to let them go.

Apparently they have passed on their appalling practices to visiting outer space type creatures such as your good self.

Post #: 589
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:29:57 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

No sir, that had nothing to do with weight saving programmes - and everything to do with the fact that our colonial cousins forgot how to spell properly when we decided to let them go.

Apparently they have passed on their appalling practices to visiting outer space type creatures such as your good self.

That is so narcissistic, putting the "me" in programs.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 590
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:33:00 PM   
geofflambert

I bet you say "meethane" when speaking about CH3 instead of "mehthane".

Post #: 591
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:39:30 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

Post #: 592
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:51:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

That is so narcissistic, putting the "me" in Methane

Post #: 593
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 8:52:36 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

I tried to think of a way to make a funny about this being an ISIS flag translated, but there really isn't anything to laugh about. I wish it was their flag.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 594
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 9:12:31 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Depends on whether it bothers you or not. If you can tolerate a little methane, it' meh! -thane. If you flee from the methane producer you are selfish and it's (all about) me! -thane.

Post #: 595
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 9:42:25 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 596
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 9:50:03 PM   
Orm

Me, Thane of Argyll and Bute.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 597
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 9:51:43 PM   
Orm

quote:

MEANWHILE....

Nothing to ponder on here. It is really simple. Time will tell. Alas, the answer might arrive when I am no longer around to witness it.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 598
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 9:52:17 PM   
Orm

quote:

To get away from the smell?

< Message edited by Orm -- 7/21/2016 9:55:10 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 599
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/21/2016 10:37:02 PM   
wdolson

quote:

We had company last weekend and one day went up the Columbia Gorge to a hot springs for lunch. The resort there had an excellent restaurant. Afterwards we walked the grounds a bit and they have an outdoor hottub that is filled with the hot spring water provided by the giant mass of rocks known as Mt Hood and Mt Adams. Where water had sloshed onto the concrete around the hot tub, honey bees were swarming. Apparently they harvest the minerals from the water. Why they need so much is kind of a mystery to me. Most honey bees don't have access to those kinds of minerals in those concentrations.

I've seen a lot fewer honey bees this year, but we have a bumble bee nest under our deck. Maybe the bumble bees are muscling out the honey bees.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI