Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 12:25:46 AM   
geofflambert

From what I recall, the south side of the Columbia Gorge is known for its slugs, great big long banana slugs. If I started a restaurant there it would feature filet of slug, slug frittata and slug cobbler. On Mt. Hood they have a grid with laser reflector/sensors so they can measure how much it is bulging and you can see this from the highway. Some day soon it will pop like a pimple and it won't be so pretty anymore. It is named for Admiral Hood, same one the battleship was named for.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 601
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:08:35 AM   
geofflambert

Some of you probably think I don't have any friends. Here's a couple of pics from the '80s when we were at Wright-Patterson Air force Base in Dayton. That's one of my friends standing in front of a JU-52, possibly my favorite plane there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 602
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:11:10 AM   
geofflambert

That is me on the left (in my humanoid costume) in front of a twin Mustang. You can see a B-47 behind the partition.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 603
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:13:23 AM   
geofflambert

Here's a different friend looking at a Focke-Wulf, a TA I believe.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 604
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:16:10 AM   
geofflambert

That's me again in the center. The JU-88 has Italian markings (I believe, I have pics showing them).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 605
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:27:23 AM   
geofflambert

Or are those Romanian markings?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 606
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:32:31 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

From what I recall, the south side of the Columbia Gorge is known for its slugs, great big long banana slugs. If I started a restaurant there it would feature filet of slug, slug frittata and slug cobbler. On Mt. Hood they have a grid with laser reflector/sensors so they can measure how much it is bulging and you can see this from the highway. Some day soon it will pop like a pimple and it won't be so pretty anymore. It is named for Admiral Hood, same one the battleship was named for.

West of the Cascades in Washington and Oregon you get those slugs. They get about 4 inches long.

Mt Hood is one of the quieter volcanoes in the NW and the entire PNW has been quiet the last century. Lassen erupted in the 19-teens and Mt St Helens is the only one since. The possible reason is pressure on the Juan de Fuca plate is not that strong right now. The Pacific plate is moving NW compared to the North American plate and that takes pressure off the Juan de Fuca plate which is being subducted under the NA plate.

An eruption of Mt Hood would be bad for Portland (and me), though Rainier shows more activity and an eruption there would be very bad for Tacoma. A major eruption could bury some of the southern suburbs of Seattle. The Kent Valley has had lava flows as far north as Renton.

There was a move on to rename all the cascade volcanoes after US presidents, and someone went and renamed Mt Hood as Mt Adams. However, the map he was using had Mt Hood on the wrong side of the Columbia River (north side instead of south) and it turned out there was a volcano on the north side that the settlers hadn't named yet, so that became Mt Adams. Mt Adams is the biggest Cascade volcano, but not the tallest. It's only medium height, but it's very massive. We live only an hour's drive from there and I've been campaigning to take a trip over there, but we never seem to get around to it. There is no way to drive up Mt Adams, but there are some small towns nearby.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 607
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 1:44:21 AM   
geofflambert

I remember as a kid being as high as you could walk to easily on Mt. Rainier, visiting the ice caves, and looking out and seeing a panorama of Hood, Adams, St. Helens and the other one (Shasta?)on a mostly clear day with a low overcast hiding their bases (not Rainier's). Saw them from an airliner that was banking and you could see all of those snowcaps at the same time. It was kind of eerie.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 608
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 2:37:27 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I remember as a kid being as high as you could walk to easily on Mt. Rainier, visiting the ice caves, and looking out and seeing a panorama of Hood, Adams, St. Helens and the other one (Shasta?)on a mostly clear day with a low overcast hiding their bases (not Rainier's). Saw them from an airliner that was banking and you could see all of those snowcaps at the same time. It was kind of eerie.

You could see some of the mountains to the north from high up on Mt Rainier and you can see the peaks in Northern OR and southern WA from Mt Rainier, but seeing Shasta from Mt Rainier would be a feat. It's about 500 miles from Rainier to Shasta. Only about 140 from Rainier to the Columbia River. It's about 120 miles from Rainier to Mt Baker to the north. Looking west you could easily see the Olympic mountains, those are visible from very low altitude on Mt Rainier.

Bill

Post #: 609
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 2:40:50 AM   
geofflambert

Baker - that's the one I was thinking of.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 610
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 2:46:29 AM   
geofflambert

I've been in Seattle a few times and Portland a few. I ate at both Jake's (the restaurant and the breakfast satellite in a hotel) and been in that ridiculous bookstore of yours. I was a boy scout but I think I could get lost in that bookstore.

I'm sure at both occasions at Jake's dungeoness crab was part of the meal.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/22/2016 2:50:37 AM >

Post #: 611
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 2:50:09 AM   
geofflambert

If you are ever in Philly you must go to Bookbinder's. Trust me.

Post #: 612
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:08:48 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Here's a different friend looking at a Focke-Wulf, a TA I believe.

Ta-152.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 613
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:10:29 AM   
rustysi

quote:

I remember as a kid being as high as

...Oh, wait, no.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 614
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:15:51 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I remember as a kid being as high as

...Oh, wait, no.

When I was a kid the only thing we got high on was those candy filled pop straws, what were those called?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 615
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:25:53 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I've been in Seattle a few times and Portland a few. I ate at both Jake's (the restaurant and the breakfast satellite in a hotel) and been in that ridiculous bookstore of yours. I was a boy scout but I think I could get lost in that bookstore.

Powell's City of Books? The coffee shop there is the introvert's meat market. You put out your favorite books on the table and wait for someone to notice.

Bill

Post #: 616
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:36:17 AM   
geofflambert

You know, let's take this to its illogical conclusion. I haven't got any trick-or-treaters in years but if I did I would be terribly disappointed in the stuff you can get these days. Where are those soda pop straws? I recently saw in a checkout line somewhere packages of Bit-O-Honey and I grabbed one for old time's sake. No, I didn't shoplift it. Remember all the stuff we had when we were kids? Those cubes of caramel were good. You can still get Indian Candy Corn. You can't get black licorice any more cause it sends your blood pressure "to the moon, Alice!" But some people actually bothered to make candied apples and it's hard to find those in the grocery stores anymore. Remember the candy cigarettes? Brands like Winston and Newport. What kid wouldn't complain if they didn't get any Lucky Strikes candy cigarettes? Can you still get those candy peanuts in the shell somewhere? Can you still get these things, whatever they are?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 617
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:40:04 AM   
geofflambert

This stuff. Remember those green things? I can't remember what they tasted like.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 618
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:43:31 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Powell's City of Books? The coffee shop there is the introvert's meat market. You put out your favorite books on the table and wait for someone to notice.

Bill

I'm going to have to ask a friend who was with me. Powell's doesn't ring a bell but I'm not sure.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 619
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:45:43 AM   
geofflambert

You could get candy tossed in your bag that had actual liqueur in it, like rum for instance.

Post #: 620
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 3:51:04 AM   
geofflambert

Luckily, I never needed a costume and sometimes the householders dropped their whole tray of goodies at the sight of me. I learned to take advantage of opportunities.

Post #: 621
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:03:27 AM   
geofflambert

Mostly I didn't appreciate being kept hidden in a stairwell, but I could hide all my Halloween goodies there, no one ever went in there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 622
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:09:03 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Mostly I didn't appreciate being kept hidden in a stairwell, but I could hide all my Halloween goodies there, no one ever went in there.

Good one! I watched that show as a little kid and the dragon under the stairs was the best gag they had.

Post #: 623
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:10:06 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Some of you probably think I don't have any friends. Here's a couple of pics from the '80s when we were at Wright-Patterson Air force Base in Dayton. That's one of my friends standing in front of a JU-52, possibly my favorite plane there.

Those aren't just strangers you asked to pose with you?

Post #: 624
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:33:30 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Those aren't just strangers you asked to pose with you?

No, unfortunately for them they still have to pose for and with me.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 625
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:35:31 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Good one! I watched that show as a little kid and the dragon under the stairs was the best gag they had.

Well, if you ever need someone to roast your wienies look me up.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 626
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:47:14 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, if you ever need someone to roast your wienies look me up.

These days for me, the fiery gas comes out the other end.

Post #: 627
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:47:33 AM   
witpqs

Hey, I made a fart joke!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 628
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 4:55:42 AM   
geofflambert

Farts happen when you only roast your wienies on one side. Stop doing that.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 629
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/22/2016 5:12:16 AM   
geofflambert

witpqs is still hanging around this thread. I don't know what he's going to pull next, but I'm getting sleepy. Here is a stock answer that should work with whatever crack he invents:

Shouldn't you be asking your wife about that?

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI