Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/11/2016 12:07:37 PM   
geofflambert

Right, how could anyone utter "Lucy! You have some 'splainin' to do!" to that thing on the right?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 811
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/11/2016 6:16:57 PM   
geofflambert

I live in a duplex, and am half owner of it. The other half owner lives in the other unit. He mows the grass, of which there is a considerable expanse. One year he was mowing the back yard and mowed across the entrance to a rabbit warren neither he nor I was aware of and a baby bunny leapt up out of fear from the warren straight into the blades of the mower. Glad I wasn't doing the mowing that day. So this year I spotted a warren freshly dug and pointed it out to him and gave him a milk crate to put over it whilst he was mowing so that hopefully that wouldn't happen again. Today, while out watering things, I ran into two baby bunnies, one not far from the entrance to that warren. I dialed the sprayer I was using to "mist" and misted them down, because it was oppressively hot. They did not seem to mind.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 812
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/11/2016 6:19:34 PM   
geofflambert

I know what you're thinking. You're right, I will be feeding them to a lady gorn friend in the near future.

Post #: 813
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/11/2016 11:01:33 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I know what you're thinking. You're right, I will be feeding them to a lady gorn friend in the near future.

Are their actually lady gorn's ?
If so, do they have the "Mom Voice" feature which human females excel at ?

Post #: 814
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/11/2016 11:58:40 PM   
geofflambert

Well, there's a lot of debate about that. Some scientists claim that in a single sex environment some of us can become female and thus reproduce. Others say that we can reproduce asexually. I frequently try to do that, but without any luck so far. In any case, if you are a male gorn and you have successful carnal relations with a female, expect to be consumed by her in order to feed your young. If you have unsuccessful carnal relations she will not know the difference and eat you anyway. My advice, for any gorn out there, is try the asexual method instead.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 815
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/12/2016 7:17:02 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I live in a duplex, and am half owner of it. The other half owner lives in the other unit. He mows the grass, of which there is a considerable expanse. One year he was mowing the back yard and mowed across the entrance to a rabbit warren neither he nor I was aware of and a baby bunny leapt up out of fear from the warren straight into the blades of the mower. Glad I wasn't doing the mowing that day. So this year I spotted a warren freshly dug and pointed it out to him and gave him a milk crate to put over it whilst he was mowing so that hopefully that wouldn't happen again. Today, while out watering things, I ran into two baby bunnies, one not far from the entrance to that warren. I dialed the sprayer I was using to "mist" and misted them down, because it was oppressively hot. They did not seem to mind.

Gruesome. I would be ill if I did anything like that.

We have a lot of rabbits around here. They build warrens under the blackberry bushes.

The rabbits don't stay still long enough to spray water om them, but I do mist the praying mantises in the greenhouse when I see them.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 816
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/14/2016 1:55:23 AM   
geofflambert

Okay, so the cicadas are getting really out of hand. I am told that they are neither the periodical 13 or 17 year varieties but the annual sort. That may be so but they are getting really, really loud to my experience. I've had cats that loved to eat them. One cat I had broke his leg somehow and it was put into a cast. He managed to hobble around pretty well and succeeded in capturing a cicada and bring it into the apartment. Now he wanted to bat it around like cats do, playing with it before the denouement. Well, that denouement came early as he lifted his leg in the cast and brought it down and it went splat!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 817
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2016 4:30:53 AM   
geofflambert

Just a little music to listen to. It sounds like country, it sounds like Cajun, delivered by Chicanos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H0coPhlpy4

Post #: 818
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2016 4:34:36 AM   
geofflambert

The lyrics are actually rather dark. That's art.

Post #: 819
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/19/2016 7:13:27 AM   
geofflambert

We need to find some way to keep steel wire from being abused in this way: http://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/music/moonlight-sonata-electric-guitar/#PbuRPVdYBuzXT0mA.97
Perhaps we could use up all the steel wire for a while rebuilding the Berlin wall?

Post #: 820
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/19/2016 5:40:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

We need to find some way to keep steel wire from being abused in this way: http://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/music/moonlight-sonata-electric-guitar/#PbuRPVdYBuzXT0mA.97
Perhaps we could use up all the steel wire for a while rebuilding the Berlin wall?

I think there are some other walls in the plans that could use up all the steel. Berlin has done its time with one and decided it wasn't a good idea, so they are not likely to welcome a new one.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 821
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2016 12:16:55 AM   
geofflambert

When I saw this, I thought it was a brown bat hanging from underneath my birdbath. I took a picture before it was disturbed by something.
Clearly a large butterfly, maybe a swallowtail of some sort. You can see two legs and two antennae.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 822
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 7:15:33 PM   
geofflambert

Here is a case of beak-to-beak combat at one of my feeders by very territorial hummingbirds.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 823
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 7:16:30 PM   
geofflambert

Did this guy think he was flying a hummingbird?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 824
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 7:21:40 PM   
geofflambert

There was more than half a dozen of those birds chasing each other around having dogfights when I took that video.

Post #: 825
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 8:00:07 PM   
BillBrown

How can a bird have a dogfight? Shouldn't they have birdfights?

Post #: 826
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 8:34:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

There was more than half a dozen of those birds chasing each other around having dogfights when I took that video.

During the fall migration I was at the English Garden in Assiniboine Park when I saw two hummingbirds sitting a few yards apart from each other. They both launched at each other and hovered in the air, fencing with each other for over 30 seconds. You could hear the clicks as their beaks struck each other. First and only time I have seen such behaviour (from birds, that is).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 827
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 10:14:18 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

And what it is called when a cat fights a dog?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 828
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2016 10:50:38 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Politics??

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 829
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 2:01:15 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Usually a howling dog.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 830
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 12:32:29 PM   
geofflambert

If the cat hasn't been declawed, that is. My owners considered declawing me but, happily, have procrastinated on that so far. I try not to shred the upholstery.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 831
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 5:56:43 PM   
geofflambert

I don't believe I'd seen any of this documentary before, though I was aware of some elements from another source, I believe. This is part two of five parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdd1e-1pyo

Worth a watch, I think.

Post #: 832
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 6:20:00 PM   
geofflambert

I've caught an error, but it is by a German soldier. He's talking about the winter of '41 and says something like "Our weapons didn't work but their Kalashnikovs did." He's speaking auf Deutsch but you can clearly hear him say "Kalashnikov". As you likely know, the Kalashnikov was first produced in 1947, so unless Captain Kirk went through a time warp and delivered some AK-47s this was not true. I know nothing about the rifles the Soviets were using at the time or about their reliability versus the Mauser or whatever.

Post #: 833
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 7:29:03 PM   
Macclan5

Probably a faux pas indeed. Modern writters / actors.

Hypothetically possible its accurate.

I believe Kalishnakov (i.e. the company) was a major armaments producers / dealer during the war for many many things ; rifles, anti-tank guns, Flak guns. In Russia / USSR

Much like Mig was more than an aircraft name it was an aircraft brand.

GG War in the East Experts can confirm or correct me in the above statements...

I guess in theory the German soldier in an anti tank unit might know the difference but..... I don't think the average soldier referred to his weapon by its manufacturers name... i.e. he wouldn't have referred to Pistol 38 as a Walther for example...

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 8/25/2016 7:31:53 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Post #: 834
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/25/2016 8:50:22 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Probably a faux pas indeed. Modern writters / actors.

Hypothetically possible its accurate.

I believe Kalishnakov (i.e. the company) was a major armaments producers / dealer during the war for many many things ; rifles, anti-tank guns, Flak guns. In Russia / USSR

Much like Mig was more than an aircraft name it was an aircraft brand.

GG War in the East Experts can confirm or correct me in the above statements...

I guess in theory the German soldier in an anti tank unit might know the difference but..... I don't think the average soldier referred to his weapon by its manufacturers name... i.e. he wouldn't have referred to Pistol 38 as a Walther for example...

Happy to correct. Michael Kalashnikov was a soldier in WWII, not a major armaments mfg.. He was quite the engineer though and he did do some minor things fixing weapons of the period. That German soldier never heard of him until the Korean war at the earliest.

Incidentally, due to his diminutive size and his handiness with metal he was made a tank mechanic.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/25/2016 8:56:16 PM >

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 835
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/26/2016 2:26:03 AM   
rustysi

quote:

I've caught an error,
quote:

"Kalashnikov".

I picked up on that too gorn. Standard Soviet infantry rifle of WWII was the Mosin-Nagant. To my knowledge a pretty reliable bolt action weapon of the time. Of course the Soviets fielded many other types of small arms, like most WWII nations. IIRC the Mig was the name of the A/C manufacture. Most, if not all Soviet A/C (or at least modern fighters) were named for the manufactures. Kalishnakov was a tank mechanic IIRC who 'invented' the AK while recovering from wounds. The AK-47 (yes, in 1947) was named in his honor.

Not that its in error, but at one point you can see a Matilda moving across the field. Its not close enough to see any markings, but the Soviets used lend lease western tanks at times, especially at the time of this action. On the southern sectors of the field of operations, these would be coming up from Iran.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 836
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/28/2016 6:41:16 PM   
geofflambert

If a reindeer dressed up as a ghost for Halloween, what would you have? A scaribou.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 837
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/29/2016 3:49:02 PM   
geofflambert

I really like Chinese food. Have it once a week usually. I notice most of the signs over Chinese restaurants have the same slogan. I've never seen them illustrated, though, so I thought I'd take a stab at it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 838
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/29/2016 4:05:21 PM   
geofflambert

We used to have a "carry out" restaurant here called "Zorba the Greek's". I thought about opening a diner across the street called

Attachment (1)

Post #: 839
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/29/2016 5:06:48 PM   
geofflambert

Obit

Attachment (1)

Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI