Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/14/2016 8:14:19 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I planted some milkweed in my garden this year.

Young milkweed pods are delicious, parboil them to make them tender
then saute in butter or olive oil with garlic and a bit of salt.

Did you get that recipe from a Monarch Butterfly? Or at least the caterpillar?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 901
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/14/2016 1:37:56 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

I planted some milkweed in my garden this year.

Young milkweed pods are delicious, parboil them to make them tender
then saute in butter or olive oil with garlic and a bit of salt.

Some of my pods have been crawling with milkweed bugs. How do you prepare them? Saute them with the pod or deep fry them?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 902
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/14/2016 10:20:01 PM   
Will_L_OLD

Don't remember if it was the butterfly or the caterpillar, was at a tea party so it was probably the caterpillar

Try deep frying them, maybe they'll puff up like popcorn! They might be a little bitter though since they eat the milkweed sap

edit: They actually eat the seeds and not the sap but go ahead and try 'em, lizards eat all sorts of bugs

< Message edited by Will_L -- 9/14/2016 11:01:38 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 903
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/15/2016 4:27:48 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Don't remember if it was the butterfly or the caterpillar, was at a tea party so it was probably the caterpillar

Try deep frying them, maybe they'll puff up like popcorn! They might be a little bitter though since they eat the milkweed sap

edit: They actually eat the seeds and not the sap but go ahead and try 'em, lizards eat all sorts of bugs

You are aware that many caterpillars have poisonous setae along their body?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 904
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/15/2016 6:45:24 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Guess I better wear gloves if I need to move them from one group of plants to another.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 905
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/16/2016 12:10:57 AM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

quote:

That reminds me of a millipede I saw walking to work one evening at "the box" on Torii Station, Okinawa.
Thing looked like a piece of carpet around 10" long. As I got close it turned towards me and I stopped about
three feet away, stomped my foot and the damn thing charged at me! Gives me the creeps imagining if it had gotten
close enough to climb my leg LOL. Saw another, bigger, of the same climbing rock ledges near the Summer Palace north
of Nago. Fearsome looking critters, black with short & long "hairs" 2-3" inches wide and friggin' quick.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 906
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/16/2016 3:21:41 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

That reminds me of a millipede I saw walking to work one evening at "the box" on Torii Station, Okinawa.
Thing looked like a piece of carpet around 10" long. As I got close it turned towards me and I stopped about
three feet away, stomped my foot and the damn thing charged at me! Gives me the creeps imagining if it had gotten
close enough to climb my leg LOL. Saw another, bigger, of the same climbing rock ledges near the Summer Palace north
of Nago. Fearsome looking critters, black with short & long "hairs" 2-3" inches wide and friggin' quick.

Sort of sounds like a centipede - they are all carnivores. But really what I'm wondering is: how did you know it was walking to work?

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 907
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/16/2016 9:41:12 PM   
Will_L_OLD

Because it didn't have wings

Trying to figure out what kind it was... most similar pic I found was a giant leopard moth caterpillar
but that doesn't coincide with the size or aggressiveness it displayed.

< Message edited by Will_L -- 9/16/2016 9:59:55 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 908
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/16/2016 11:59:53 PM   
geofflambert

That's nothing. The coconut crabs in the Solomons can get to about one meter in diameter and the hornets in China about 6 inches long (15 centimeters).

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 909
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 4:01:38 AM   
geofflambert

I know I've posted this before, but it can't hurt to do it again. Very nice piece of oboe work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs

Post #: 910
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 4:37:01 AM   
geofflambert

I'd like to say something here. I like music. I really like music. I do not understand how people make it. I don't understand music at all. Composition? How is that done? Jazz musicians improvising on the spot. How is that even possible?

Post #: 911
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 5:01:40 AM   
geofflambert

As a kid, I learned to play the piano, the cornet and the flute. I was good at none of them. I could kinda sorta read sheet music. I had an aluminum flute. That was the cheapest kind and the best I deserved. A steel flute cost more and rightfully so. An aluminum flute's sound might be described as "warm". A stainless steel flute's sound is sharp and authoritative. The next thing up is a silver flute. Aluminum flutes don't know what warm is compared to a silver flute. Next up are flutes of gold. They sound unlike any of the previous, sound like an entirely different instrument. The best of all, it's strange (or is it?) that the metal value is congruent with the value of the instruments, are flutes of platinum. Those are like the Stradivari of flutes, or the Amati's. I believe I've heard of flutes made of titanium, but know nothing of those.

Post #: 912
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 6:24:39 AM   
BBfanboy

I like the resonance of wooden instruments too. Listen carefully during the instrumental interludes in this video and you can hear the wooden flute ...
You might have to watch it three or four times to hear anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRHyjj34ZE

Post #: 913
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 6:51:57 AM   
warspite1

quote:

I'd like to say something here. I like music. I really like music. I do not understand how people make it. I don't understand music at all. Composition? How is that done? Jazz musicians improvising on the spot. How is that even possible?
warspite1

Listen to something like Beethoven's 6th. Right. How the hell.....?

So even a genius like Beethoven presumably can't play every instrument. So how does he get all the instruments of the orchestra working as they do, playing the notes that they do, to make music that brings a grown man to tears.

Incredible.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 914
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 7:31:29 AM   
szmike

quote:

+1

Post #: 915
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 1:40:46 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Listen to something like Beethoven's 6th. Right. How the hell.....?

So even a genius like Beethoven presumably can't play every instrument. So how does he get all the instruments of the orchestra working as they do, playing the notes that they do, to make music that brings a grown man to tears.

Incredible.

You nailed my favorite. Everyone always talks about the 7th, but I just adore the 6th. Now the 9th, of course that's the best thing ever, but you don't have to love it. Then there's the Lenore overtures. Musical orgasms.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/17/2016 1:42:02 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 916
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 1:47:37 PM   
geofflambert

You know, when the B wrote the 9th, he was completely deaf? Explain that to me. He still played the piano. Huh?

Post #: 917
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 2:05:57 PM   
geofflambert

My mother, when she was singing hymns in church, she would constantly go off key. I was so embarrassed I thought maybe I should side-step away from her. When she thought no one was around she'd play on the piano in the living room and sing. She'd get to a certain point in the hymn and hit (and sing) the wrong key. She'd stop, somehow knowing that something wasn't right, and start over. She'd get to the same place and do it again. Then she'd start over once more, and it sounded like a broken record. There's probably a lot of youngsters here who don't know what a broken record is, but there's no better way of describing it.

Post #: 918
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 3:58:22 PM   
szmike

quote:

You know, when the B wrote the 9th, he was completely deaf? Explain that to me. He still played the piano. Huh?

He heard music in his head when looking at notes.... the closest would be when you sing in your head. Assuming Gorns can do it.

Post #: 919
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 4:10:36 PM   
geofflambert

I've been thinking about starting a dating site to attract cute women who wear falsies. My idea is to call it Fauxes Only. Oh, did I just make a fox paw?

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 920
Dogs like practical jokes too - 9/17/2016 5:10:43 PM   
Gandalf

Check this out lizard... Ooops, Mr. Gorn

here!

Post #: 921
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/17/2016 5:59:22 PM   
Zorch

quote:

My mother, when she was singing hymns in church, she would constantly go off key. I was so embarrassed I thought maybe I should side-step away from her. When she thought no one was around she'd play on the piano in the living room and sing. She'd get to a certain point in the hymn and hit (and sing) the wrong key. She'd stop, somehow knowing that something wasn't right, and start over. She'd get to the same place and do it again. Then she'd start over once more, and it sounded like a broken record. There's probably a lot of youngsters here who don't know what a broken record is, but there's no better way of describing it.

She just needed AutoTune.

Post #: 922
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 2:28:56 PM   
BBfanboy

Speaking of "birds", fall just arrived with a vengeance - high winds and cool temps - and the migration has started. It brought a kind of funny little drama ...

I just got my morning cup of coffee at 07:00 and looked down by the river where a bald eagle flew up from the shoreline and began circling over the river! A bald eagle in the city!

It went out of sight behind the building's side and moments latter a seagull went upriver flapping its wings very fast and changing course erratically like an infantryman dodging a sniper.

I couldn't see the eagle any more so I sat down with my coffee and a few minutes later there was a flock of about ten Lesser Canada Geese floating down the river, clustered very close together as though for mutual protection. They all had their necks at full extension scanning the sky, but I could not see the eagle because of building structure.

A few minutes after that I saw two large birds circling a couple of miles away but was unable to ID them before they faded off in the distance.

No pics - everything happened very quickly before I could grab a phone or camera.

Post #: 923
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 3:56:24 PM   
Gandalf

If you're near central Missouri. there's a certain time of the year mid-fall when around 20 or so balde eagles gather for a week or so before heading wherever it is they go for the winter. (River side just downstream of Bagnell Dam at Lake of the Ozarks. Amateur photographers gather there every year for what they have termed "Eagle Days". It is fascinating watching those raptors go for the kill against other prey and small animals. If they're not hunting, they roost with their magnificent heads tucked under a wing.

Factoid> the name Bald eagle, comes from the old English word "balde" which means white eagle (not hairless as commonly assumed). see here!

Lizards stand no chance against these predators. LOL

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 9/19/2016 4:14:44 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 924
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 4:30:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

If you're near central Missouri. there's a certain time of the year mid-fall when around 20 or so balde eagles gather for a week or so before heading wherever it is they go for the winter. (River side just downstream of Bagnell Dam at Lake of the Ozarks. Amateur photographers gather there every year for what they have termed "Eagle Days". It is fascinating watching those raptors go for the kill against other prey and small animals. If they're not hunting, they roost with their magnificent heads tucked under a wing.

Factoid> the name Bald eagle, comes from the old English word "balde" which means white eagle (not hairless as commonly assumed). see here!

Lizards stand no chance against these predators. LOL

I have seen one snatch a fish out of the water, and during the early spring when they are returning they will feed on the fish guts that ice fishermen leave on the ice. I think they will eat other carrion as well, if hunting is not feeding them well enough.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 925
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 6:00:16 PM   
geofflambert

One time I saw a bald trying to hover over Creve Coeur Lake on a day we were having 30 knot winds. He or she was staring down intently at the water but just couldn't stay in place and kept getting blown back. I was about a hundred feet away. Another time I was a passenger in a car headed south on I-270 and this bald flew right in front of the car and down into the Meramec Valley. It had a crow right on its tail, a Cr-16 interceptor I believe.

Anyways, non eagle related an article on two new Arleigh-Burkes: http://seapowermagazine.org/stories/20160919-ddg.html

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 926
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 8:49:34 PM   
AW1Steve

Eagles are fun to watch, but I really enjoy watching them get "mugged" by Ospreys. Watching a thief get robbed IS a bit of a turn around. Living now in the Midwest , I'm constantly amazed by the number and variety of hawks.

Post #: 927
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 10:46:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

It had a crow right on its tail, a Cr-16 interceptor I believe.

Or maybe it was the SR-71 Blackbird?

Post #: 928
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/19/2016 11:38:37 PM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

quote:

It had a crow right on its tail, a Cr-16 interceptor I believe.

Seen crows tag teaming peregrine falcons in Central Park. One leads the falcon and the second trails it,
when the falcon got close to the lead the trailer would swoop in and distract the falcon. Avian dogfights

Post #: 929
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/20/2016 12:05:18 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Seen crows tag teaming peregrine falcons in Central Park. One leads the falcon and the second trails it,
when the falcon got close to the lead the trailer would swoop in and distract the falcon. Avian dogfights

You just described the "Thatch Weave". Maybe that is where Commander Thatch got his idea!

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/20/2016 12:31:24 AM >

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI