Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 3:58:42 AM   
geofflambert

For any of you who might know someone considering electroshock, it was like night and day. Don't fear it.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 91
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 4:39:13 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

For any of you who might know someone considering electroshock, it was like night and day. Don't fear it.

Tried it once. Didn't do much for me...except blast me butt over tea kettle across the room and turn my hands black. I also learned that a tv condenser needs to be completely discharged before you touché it.

Post #: 92
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 6:05:05 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Is anyone interested in a separate Jutland thread to air some of the many, many points and controversies that surround the battle?

I guess that's a no

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 93
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 6:30:44 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Sounds like Amazons. To try and match Bill or even surpass him, my mother was entirely sane from any point of view. My father was not. Before he was unhinged and violent sounding (but I think it was bluff). It was miserable for myself and my brother. Then he went through electroshock treatment. Afterwards he acted like a normal human being, but every bit as intelligent as he was before, which was substantial. Without direct experience, I'm sure I'd say that electroshock was madness in and of itself. Afterwards, you couldn't ask for a better dad.
A

My SO (MA in Psych and a DV perpetrator counselor as well as a lawyer) said it sounds like he may have been bipolar. She has taken a lot of guys who are violent at home and turned them around. When we see someone violent on TV she usually comments, "I have a group for that".

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 94
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 6:48:59 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Tried it once. Didn't do much for me...except blast me butt over tea kettle across the room and turn my hands black. I also learned that a tv condenser needs to be completely discharged before you touché it.

I never messed with TV condensers because I know they work by storing the charge, but I have done quite a bit of home electrical wiring. On a recent reno There was a stage where we needed to turn back on some of the circuit breakers because power was needed for the rest of the house, but we had not yet finished removing all the old wire from the basement. Most had been disconnected from the panel but I found one loose wire and could not trace the path for sure because of all the structure. I had left my little circuit test LED device across the room so, being tired, I just used a screwdriver to test the black and white wires for power. Poof! When my eyes recovered from the blinding flash I could not believe how badly the screwdriver had been damaged from the momentary contact.

That was enough to persuade me to do more to avoid electroshock treatments!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 95
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 6:52:54 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

But are there any two legged cougars prowling? Do you have the neighborhoods where they can be found?

I suggest you ask Cap Mandrake for his home address and then go door-to-door selling your services as a gardener. No need to bring your own hoe.
Cap says the HOA president is also hot, so you should ask her if you can park your van in her driveway.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 96
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 8:00:54 AM   
wdolson

I worked with a guy who had worked in a cal lab for the Navy for a while. He said one time they received some capacitors that were so large they had to be transported on a flatbed semi. Capacitors can charge up from static electricity so big ones like that have shorting bars for traveling. On this occasion one of the bars had fallen off in transit and without thinking he decided to put it back on. As soon at the circuit was complete, the bar vaporized in his hand. He was just lucky the current didn't flow through him.

As an Electronic Engineer I usually work with fairly low voltages and don't usually encounter dangerous voltages, but I have dealt with a few mishaps. I'm very careful around electricity, especially house wiring.

Bill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 97
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 7:31:39 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Is anyone interested in a separate Jutland thread to air some of the many, many points and controversies that surround the battle?

I guess that's a no

I am. Hopefully, one of them is why was Seymour was ever employed as a signal officer, especially after the BC raid and Dogger Bank.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 98
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 8:03:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

quote:

I guess that's a no

I am. Hopefully, one of them is why was Seymour was ever employed as a signal officer, especially after the BC raid and Dogger Bank.
warspite1

Its an interesting question. At the end of the day he had proven himself a liability twice previously - that he remained in situ at Jutland has to be a serious black mark against Beatty's judgement.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 99
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/22/2016 10:15:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

Hodgson has said he is still his main man....

I wouldn't argue with Mr Hodgson so Rooney must be The Man.

Now I need something strong to swallow that with.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 100
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 6:28:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Hodgson has said he is still his main man....

I wouldn't argue with Mr Hodgson so Rooney must be The Man.

Now I need something strong to swallow that with.

warspite1

Interestingly Mr H has seemingly back-tracked slightly. He is still making it clear that Rooney will be in the squad, but has hinted that there will be competition for places....

Personally as I said, when push comes to shove, unless the guy is actually injured, I do not think the England manager would have the balls to leave him on the bench.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 101
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 6:50:14 AM   
Orm

quote:

I do not think the England manager would have the balls to leave him on the bench.

Mr H has shown plenty of b***s in the past. But, maybe, the English press have had him neu***ed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 6:54:05 AM   
Orm

It is a beautiful morning here. And I can not help but ponder on what will happen after the 23 of June.

That also makes me a bit sad and ponder on why I would ponder on such things.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 103
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 6:56:26 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I do not think the England manager would have the balls to leave him on the bench.

Mr H has shown plenty of b***s in the past. But, maybe, the English press have had him neu***ed.
warspite1

Mmmm can't think of anything that stands out in the brave decisions dept. - but my memory is not what it once was .

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 104
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 6:59:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

It is a beautiful morning here. And I can not help but ponder on what will happen after the 23 of June.

warspite1

This was initially seen as one of life's many imponderables, but, having pondered this for a while I can only assume that your ponderous post was an attempt to get the word ponder into a thread entitled OT Things to Ponder as many times as possible??

I may be wrong however, and will ponder this some more.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 105
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 7:04:55 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Mmmm can't think of anything that stands out in the brave decisions dept. - but my memory is not what it once was .

No reason you should ever have read about it but he had some success in Sweden a long time ago. I cut this from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson

One does not have such success as he had with Halmstad without both skill and bravery.

quote:

Hodgson spent five years at Halmstad, winning the league championship in 1976 and 1979. His success with Halmstad in 1976 is considered one of the biggest surprises of all time in Swedish football.[9] The year before, Halmstad had struggled against relegation, surviving only on goal difference and before the 1976 campaign began they were almost universally tipped for relegation. Hodgson himself says that "my greatest achievement would have to be the water-into-wine job at Halmstads BK."[

quote:

In 1985, he took over at Malmö FF, which he led to five consecutive league championships, two Swedish championships (at the time the Swedish championship was decided through play-offs) and two Swedish Cups.

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/23/2016 7:07:14 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 106
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 7:07:33 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

This was initially seen as one of life's many imponderables, but, having pondered this for a while I can only assume that your ponderous post was an attempt to get the word ponder into a thread entitled OT Things to Ponder as many times as possible??

Your post must be an exemplary post on how to get the word ponder into one sentence as many times as possible.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 107
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 7:11:04 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

You are wrong. Sometimes I do ponder on what happens in other countries. And, normally, I would not be pondering on that, but lately it I've felt that so many things can go wrong fast, in the world. So therefore I suspect that some things might be more important than I think, so hence I ponder on it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 108
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 7:11:09 AM   
Yaab

I guess this affliction is called ponderosa.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 109
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 7:15:27 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I guess this affliction is called ponderosa.

That sounds like a wild west ranch.

Edit: And I suppose that I might suffer from ponderosa.

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/23/2016 7:17:24 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 110
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 8:05:47 AM   
Yaab

Texas School Of Philosophy? Cynical ranchers, stoical cowboys...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 111
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 8:22:57 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I worked with a guy who had worked in a cal lab for the Navy for a while. He said one time they received some capacitors that were so large they had to be transported on a flatbed semi. Capacitors can charge up from static electricity so big ones like that have shorting bars for traveling. On this occasion one of the bars had fallen off in transit and without thinking he decided to put it back on. As soon at the circuit was complete, the bar vaporized in his hand. He was just lucky the current didn't flow through him.

As an Electronic Engineer I usually work with fairly low voltages and don't usually encounter dangerous voltages, but I have dealt with a few mishaps. I'm very careful around electricity, especially house wiring.

Bill

I was hit with 65A/400V between the hand and elbow once. It wasn´t very pleasant at all...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 112
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 8:23:02 AM   
Orm

quote:

No. From the TV Western Bonanza where their ranch was named Ponderosa. The show was also known as Ponderosa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 113
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 9:01:45 AM   
Yaab

Thanks. Pensive locals, I presume?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 114
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 9:15:29 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
I was hit with 65A/400V between the hand and elbow once. It wasn´t very pleasant at all...

OW! Do you still have that arm? If so, you're lucky!

Bill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 115
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 10:43:06 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

OW! Do you still have that arm? If so, you're lucky!

Bill

Luckily for me it only lasted for less then a second! So the arm is still there but I got a nasty burn on one of my fingers where I accidently touched an exposed part and where the elbow touched the grounded chassis. Spent a couple of hours at the hospital. Had to check for blood clots and internal burns.

Been hit with 10A/230 on several occasions including cross body once or twice but that 65A was something different. If I had gripped the exposed part rather then just graze it I would most likely have died.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 116
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 12:04:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No reason you should ever have read about it but he had some success in Sweden a long time ago. I cut this from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson

One does not have such success as he had with Halmstad without both skill and bravery.

quote:

Hodgson spent five years at Halmstad, winning the league championship in 1976 and 1979. His success with Halmstad in 1976 is considered one of the biggest surprises of all time in Swedish football.[9] The year before, Halmstad had struggled against relegation, surviving only on goal difference and before the 1976 campaign began they were almost universally tipped for relegation. Hodgson himself says that "my greatest achievement would have to be the water-into-wine job at Halmstads BK."[

quote:

In 1985, he took over at Malmö FF, which he led to five consecutive league championships, two Swedish championships (at the time the Swedish championship was decided through play-offs) and two Swedish Cups.

warspite1

Yes, his past managerial roles are part of the reason he got the job - including taking the Swiss to the World Cup. Dropping Rooney however.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 117
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 2:10:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

No. From the TV Western Bonanza where their ranch was named Ponderosa. The show was also known as Ponderosa.

Well it does end in the same letter "a", but the name of the show was "Bonanza".

Ben Cartwright was played by Lorne Greene - a Canadian. During WW II he was a radio announcer and became known as "The Voice of Doom" because of all the bad news he reported and his deep voice that made it seem even worse!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 118
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 3:34:32 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

quote:

It was also the name of two competing "value Steak House franchise restaurants" at least in Canada.

Many years ago.

THE Bonanza and Ponderosa.

Home of my first ever experience with a Salad Bar (cries little tear). I was so worldly at that moment.

Long since gone I think.

Now I have an urge to find a Big Boy !

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 119
RE: OT Things to ponder - 4/23/2016 5:43:36 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Well it does end in the same letter "a", but the name of the show was "Bonanza".

Ben Cartwright was played by Lorne Greene - a Canadian. During WW II he was a radio announcer and became known as "The Voice of Doom" because of all the bad news he reported and his deep voice that made it seem even worse!

Thank you for telling me about "The Voice of Doom".

I wrote that the show was named Bonanza. But it was also aired as Ponderosa.

Cut from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonanza
During the summer of 1972, NBC aired reruns of episodes from the 1967–1970 period in prime time on Tuesday evening under the title Ponderosa.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI