Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/6/2016 11:07:26 PM   
Will_L_OLD

Yeah, that works too

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1771
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/6/2016 11:10:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

Pour the brandy on the peaches before you light it and its even better!

That works if you can maintain the brandy at a high enough temperature to ignite it after pouring on the peaches. You need a certain level of vapour in the air to ignite successfully. But you can ignite it in the measuring cup and pour it while it is burning. Wear an oven glove please.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 1772
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 2:23:49 AM   
Will_L_OLD

Heat up a saute pan over medium heat. Add a little butter, then the peaches and syrup.
Cook for a minute or so, add the brandy and light it up!
I like this with fresh peaches but you need some sugar and cook them 2-3 minutes before the liquor is added.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1773
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 3:05:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Heat up a saute pan over medium heat. Add a little butter, then the peaches and syrup.
I like this with fresh peaches but you need some sugar and cook them 2-3 minutes before the liquor is added.

I'll try and remember that one, but fresh peaches are rare up here - especially in dead of winter. We get about two weeks during summer when fresh peaches are shipped in and the grocers want a lot of shekels for them!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 1774
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 7:41:06 PM   
geofflambert

Not a great picture, all I could get before it flew off, but good enough there's no doubt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1775
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 9:44:10 PM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I'll try and remember that one, but fresh peaches are rare up here - especially in dead of winter. We get about two weeks during summer when fresh peaches are shipped in and the grocers want a lot of shekels for them!

Its hard to find decent fresh peaches here too, small window of time when they are sweet and juicy.
Early ones are hard as rocks and flavorless and later ones often have the shell around the seed open with
mold growing on the seed itself. Wonder how that happens inside like that...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1776
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 9:59:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Not a great picture, all I could get before it flew off, but good enough there's no doubt.

You really shouldn't be climbing telephone poles no matter how much you want the picture.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 12/7/2016 11:06:50 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1777
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 10:01:01 PM   
Will_L_OLD

I've seen a few of these at Connetquot River State Park, pretty good place for bird spotting on Long Island though
the mosquitos can be hell. Take someone with type O blood with you and they'll feast on them and leave you alone

Post #: 1778
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 10:02:15 PM   
Anachro

When the PBEM starts, I will demand regular updates from our resident gorn.

EDIT

Now that we are on the subject of star trek, I just want to point at that DS9 was bad, really bad. So was everything after that. Well, except for T'Pol. She can serve on my ship anytime she wants.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/7/2016 10:04:18 PM >

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 1779
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 10:30:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

EDIT

Now that we are on the subject of star trek, I just want to point at that DS9 was bad, really bad. So was everything after that. Well, except for T'Pol. She can serve on my ship anytime she wants.

Wife unit 1.0 and I started to watch Voyager on Amazon Prime. It's OK, but another order of magnitude "PC" above and beyond The Next Generation.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1780
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 11:08:32 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

EDIT

Wife unit 1.0 and I started to watch Voyager on Amazon Prime. It's OK, but another order of magnitude "PC" above and beyond The Next Generation.

...which was already barfable when it was running and I was watching it. But even bad Star Trek is still Star Trek.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1781
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/7/2016 11:13:44 PM   
geofflambert

From a few days ago. In season (Spring) the yellow on the males will get much more vivid and a jet black triangle will appear on their foreheads.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1782
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:03:38 AM   
geofflambert

Suppose you need a little time to decompress. Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhwyzJABvI

Post #: 1783
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:12:58 AM   
geofflambert

There was a Tom and Jerry short where Tom was chasing Jerry through the orchestra playing that at the Hollywood Bowl. It was great.

Post #: 1784
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:18:53 AM   
geofflambert

Now that you are relaxed, get back to business listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJvApIUCw0

Those violins sound like birds.

Not even Mozart.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/8/2016 1:28:42 AM >

Post #: 1785
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:06:41 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Suppose you need a little time to decompress. Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhwyzJABvI

So I checked it out - and couldn't decide which de-stressor you were recommending. I tried to resist, but I just had to ask ....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1786
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:10:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Now that you are relaxed, get back to business listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJvApIUCw0

Those violins sound like birds.

Not even Mozart.

You should be recommending the Pastoral Symphony. Its got it all - birds and fresh air, dancing, happy villagers, a thunderstorm and a beautiful sunset as the storm moves off.

Post #: 1787
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 6:53:48 AM   
wdolson

quote:

EDIT

Star Trek started a slide into mediocrity when Rodenbury died. Rodenbury was a utopiest and the new producer was a dystopian. ST had its following because of the utopian view of the future. They began losing audience with DS9 and lost it entirely by Enterprise. In the last season of Enterprise they brought in some writers who were fans of the original show and they started steering the show back into the right direction, but too many people had quit watching by then.

The reboot movies are so bad as to be unwatchable IMO. The first one was almost OK, but it was beyond ludicrous that they gave the Enterprise to Kirk when he hadn't even finished the academy. It was the Teletubbies Star Trek. After the second movie I wanted the last couple of hours of my life back and I have not seen the third. A friend wanted to go see it together and when our schedules didn't mesh he went to see it with his wife on their own. He texted part way through the movie and said "don't bother".

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1788
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 12:20:34 PM   
Lecivius

I agree DS9 was bad. Until the war started. That turned it around, for me.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1789
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:38:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
But even bad Star Trek is still Star Trek.

You're not calling Next Generation 'bad Star Trek' or 'barfable', are you?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1790
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:40:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

there's no doubt.

You're right. There's no doubt that's not a very good picture.

Post #: 1791
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 1:53:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
The reboot movies are so bad as to be unwatchable IMO.

To each their own, I guess. I really enjoyed the first two reboot movies. The most recent was 'meh'-ish, but not intolerable.

If you want intolerable Star Trek movies, one need look no farther than the first, third and fifth movies with the original cast. Particularly the latter [shudders] where the crew sasses to God [shudders again]. I think I'd have to get drunk or lose a bet to watch that one again. Generations didn't exactly cover itself with glory either. WRT the Next Generation cast, Insurrection was meh and Nemesis was terrible. The Nerdist has them in different orders of awful, but close enough.

Note that the reboot movies aren't near the bottom according to this list. I agree.

http://nerdist.com/all-12-star-trek-films-ranked-from-worst-to-best/

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1792
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 2:42:23 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

No, not at all.

By "no" I mean yes. By "not at all" I mean "hell yes!".

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1793
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 2:48:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, not at all.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion*.

*You're crazy as **** if you think ST:TNG was terrible.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1794
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:12:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

To each their own, I guess. I really enjoyed the first two reboot movies. The most recent was 'meh'-ish, but not intolerable.

If you want intolerable Star Trek movies, one need look no farther than the first, third and fifth movies with the original cast. Particularly the latter [shudders] where the crew sasses to God [shudders again]. I think I'd have to get drunk or lose a bet to watch that one again. Generations didn't exactly cover itself with glory either. WRT the Next Generation cast, Insurrection was meh and Nemesis was terrible. The Nerdist has them in different orders of awful, but close enough.

Note that the reboot movies aren't near the bottom according to this list. I agree.

Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1795
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:17:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Agree. I'll check out the list.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1796
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:17:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, not at all.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion*.

*You're crazy as **** if you think ST:TNG was terrible.

And your point is?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1797
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:25:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?

The list is way off.

BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1798
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:27:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Star Trek IV (the one you cite) was good for its campy humor and good story line. The 'save the whales' mantra was overplayed, IMO.

I think the disparity in the quality of the Star Trek movies has much more to do with screenwriting, acting and directing than profitability. Who *doesn't* want to make money from their movies? If they can make money from dramatic appeal or introspective science fiction rather than graphics explosions and stuff, then that works too.

I couldn't tell you which movie had better special effects: Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. But I *can* tell you which movie set my teeth on edge more with poor screenwriting and a boring plotline. Hint: NOT Wrath of Khan.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1799
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/8/2016 3:45:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency.

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 12/8/2016 3:48:03 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI