Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/16/2017 7:40:04 PM   
Zorch

But Britt's a Swede!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2071
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/16/2017 7:47:30 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

And change the Windows options so it is not Always On Top (nod at BBfanboy )

How do I do that? I've got the full screen working now, and I noticed that with a combination of hitting the escape key and dragging the toolbar at top sometimes returned me to my desktop without losing the game, but I couldn't figure out a consistent way of doing that. Would be really convenient if I could figure that out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2072
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/16/2017 8:37:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
Talk about bombshells!

How about those contact fuses?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2073
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/16/2017 9:59:48 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Talk about bombshells!

How about those contact fuses?

You wouldn't have to be James Bond to figure out the key combination.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2074
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/16/2017 10:42:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

And change the Windows options so it is not Always On Top (nod at BBfanboy )

Why the nod at me? I can nod off all by myself!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2075
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 7:55:03 PM   
geofflambert

So I went to Jury Duty and took a new book to start, Pacific Crucible. I know that lots of people think they're more literate than me (I learned this from Percy Dovetonsils) and Ian is probably one of them, but he used the following construction: "an history". Now we have both the word "a" and the word "an" for a reason. It's not because if you use the wrong one and step on a tile on the floor that causes you to fall into a dungeon. It's about sound. Some think that you use "an" before a vowel, and "a" before a consonant. I wonder if they know that "y" can be either one or the other? They are half right, but it matters not what letter was pressed in ink upon a piece of paper but what the sound is. It should in all cases be "a history" because in that case the "h" is most definitely a consonant. It should be "an hour" as the "h" in that case is silent, it is a mere ornament. This is so because the intercession of the "n" between two vowels helps one distinguish that there are two words, not one. For instance, "ahistorical" is a word but what does it sound like? It means 'not historical' and we pronounce the 'a', "not", as a short a, whereas when we say "a historical" we pronounce the the "a" as a long a. I always run into people who disagree for some unintelligible reason but as soon as I'm done smiting AW1Steve I will be Emperor of the Earth and everyone will have to do as I say and think as I tell them to.

Now I ran into an interesting quote in Toll's book from an editorial in the San Francisco Chronicle not long after the Great San Francisco Earthquake referencing difficulties finding school infrastructure for children and considerations about, let's say, the rationing of the available resources vis-a-vis immigrant children. The SF Chronicle was a Hearst newspaper and you may know that he was the inspiration for "Citizen Kane". He was also a very bad boy at times, a rabble-rouser, militarist and nationalist. The quote is "Japan sent us not her fittest, but her unfittest; she has sent us the scum that has collected up on the surface of the boiling waters of her new national life, the human waste material for which she herself can find no use." Sounds eerily familiar but I can't place it at the moment.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2076
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 8:22:36 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

So I went to Jury Duty and took a new book to start, Pacific Crucible. I know that lots of people think they're more literate than me (I learned this from Percy Dovetonsils) and Ian is probably one of them, but he used the following construction: "an history". Now we have both the word "a" and the word "an" for a reason. It's not because if you use the wrong one and step on a tile on the floor that causes you to fall into a dungeon. It's about sound. Some think that you use "an" before a vowel, and "a" before a consonant. I wonder if they know that "y" can be either one or the other? They are half right, but it matters not what letter was pressed in ink upon a piece of paper but what the sound is. It should in all cases be "a history" because in that case the "h" is most definitely a consonant. It should be "an hour" as the "h" in that case is silent, it is a mere ornament. This is so because the intercession of the "n" between two vowels helps one distinguish that there are two words, not one. For instance, "ahistorical" is a word but what does it sound like? It means 'not historical' and we pronounce the 'a', "not", as a short a, whereas when we say "a historical" we pronounce the the "a" as a long a. I always run into people who disagree for some unintelligible reason but as soon as I'm done smiting AW1Steve I will be Emperor of the Earth and everyone will have to do as I say and think as I tell them to.

Now I ran into an interesting quote in Toll's book from an editorial in the San Francisco Chronicle not long after the Great San Francisco Earthquake referencing difficulties finding school infrastructure for children and considerations about, let's say, the rationing of the available resources vis-a-vis immigrant children. The SF Chronicle was a Hearst newspaper and you may know that he was the inspiration for "Citizen Kane". He was also a very bad boy at times, a rabble-rouser, militarist and nationalist. The quote is "Japan sent us not her fittest, but her unfittest; she has sent us the scum that has collected up on the surface of the boiling waters of her new national life, the human waste material for which she herself can find no use." Sounds eerily familiar but I can't place it at the moment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2077
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 8:34:10 PM   
btd64

I think he's off his meds....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2078
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 9:12:35 PM   
Zorch

I'm afraid to ask - what meds would a Gorn take? Are they natural meds? Approved by the Gorn FDA? What's the Gorn equivalent of LSD?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 2079
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 9:30:09 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

When your done smiting me? Dude , I'll be in a nursing home before you launch a single electron! Is this some kind of pathetic lizard trash talk? Admit it, you know I'm going to destroy you! You know it, and your just green with envy!

Post #: 2080
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 10:48:00 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

I'm afraid to ask - what meds would a Gorn take? Are they natural meds? Approved by the Gorn FDA? What's the Gorn equivalent of LSD?

Gorn meds are smuggled onto this planet in the form of those colored things in Lucky Charms cereal. Our agents come in wearin' the green and no one asks any questions. Those colored things have no effect on humans but are necessary for many of our bodily functions. The pink hearts improve our defensive characteristics, making us hard to find. The yellow moons keep us from making hopeless assaults on enemies, large or small. The orange stars designate which part of Ireland we are from. The green clovers keep us from vomiting up the others. Since the early days, a few new meds have been added, but I'm not sure what they do. I think the blue things are supposed to make us hard until something (not our tails) falls off.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2081
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 10:57:52 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

Gorn meds are smuggled onto this planet in the form of those colored things in Lucky Charms cereal. Our agents come in wearin' the green and no one asks any questions. Those colored things have no effect on humans but are necessary for many of our bodily functions. The pink hearts improve our defensive characteristics, making us hard to find. The yellow moons keep us from making hopeless assaults on enemies, large or small. The orange stars designate which part of Ireland we are from. The green clovers keep us from vomiting up the others. Since the early days, a few new meds have been added, but I'm not sure what they do. I think the blue things are supposed to make us hard until something (not our tails) falls off.

So Leprechaun's are from the Gorn home world.

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 2082
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 11:00:43 PM   
geofflambert

Actually, they are gorns in disguise. The next time you see one throw him a piece of well rotted chicken liver and see how he snaps it up with relish.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 2083
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 11:04:09 PM   
geofflambert

Don't ask them to pick up the check, our arms are too short.

Post #: 2084
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/18/2017 11:30:26 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Oh, I see. Nothing to do with M&Ms or flavors of Howard Johnson ice cream.

Post #: 2085
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 1:36:19 AM   
geofflambert

Entirely correct. But on the subject of Ho-Jo's clam rolls, I inhaled so many of those that almost the entire chain was consumed. I ... Need ... Ho-Jo ... Clam ... Rolls!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2086
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 1:42:14 AM   
geofflambert

Thirty years ago there was a Howard Johnson's on Lindbergh just a hop skip and a jump North of Watson Rd., otherwise known to many as Route 66, and I would haunt that place once a week or every other week and strip their larders of clams. I wish somebody would bring that chain back.

Post #: 2087
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 2:21:37 AM   
geofflambert

On occasion, somebody will ask what music you listen to when playing. That frequently devolves into talking about great soundtracks for movies. The usual mentions are such greats as Bernard Hermann, John Williams and Ennio Morricone. I'd like to mention someone who contributed to a really, really fine film, one that stands out. The cast was stellar. The director somehow wrung out of Dennis Quaid, an actor I consider to be mediocre compared to his brother Randy, an amazing performance. Really. I haven't read it, but I'm sure the book the movie is based on, written by Tom Wolfe, is a real peach too. Bill Conti. The Right Stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCblQ_fnPpc

Post #: 2088
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 6:33:16 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Reminds me of a Larry Niven story about a shape changing alien species that had a few members hiding on Earth. The protagonist met up with an alien bounty hunter who was trying to find a member of his species who was on the lam on Earth. The bounty hunter said the only thing that could harm them was an organic liquid poison. It turned out as the story went on that the poison was ethanol. It was very deadly to the aliens, even a small amount would kill them, but of course moderate amounts was no big deal to humans.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2089
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 3:30:02 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Reminds me of a Larry Niven story about a shape changing alien species that had a few members hiding on Earth. The protagonist met up with an alien bounty hunter who was trying to find a member of his species who was on the lam on Earth. The bounty hunter said the only thing that could harm them was an organic liquid poison. It turned out as the story went on that the poison was ethanol. It was very deadly to the aliens, even a small amount would kill them, but of course moderate amounts was no big deal to humans.

Bill

I can see it now...in big bright lights...coming to a theater near you...Predator vs. Gorn!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2090
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 4:41:28 PM   
geofflambert

Has anyone any experience with this Hornfischer guy?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2091
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 4:44:16 PM   
Lecivius

Neptune's Inferno and Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors were good reads, IMHO

Post #: 2092
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 5:09:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Last stand of the Tin Can sailors was an entertaining read. I've heard mixed reviews on Neptune's Inferno however.

Post #: 2093
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 6:41:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Only read Neptune's Inferno of his - which was pretty awful imo. Gave up after about 3-4 chapters as unreadable.

If you want to read about that period then Frank's Guadalcanal is the book to buy.

As for the period of time that is covered by the book you mention above, then Fast Carriers takes some beating (albeit there is, as the name suggests, a focus on the carrier aspects whereas this book may be more broad based).

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 2094
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 10:46:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

Well written and researched. Gives one a sense of actually being in the action.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2095
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/19/2017 10:53:46 PM   
MakeeLearn

Interactively entertaining. Really pulls you in.

Edit: sorry a bit too crass for this forum.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 1/20/2017 3:08:49 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2096
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/20/2017 6:38:14 AM   
wdolson

I read Ship of Ghosts about the Houston a year or two back and I finished Neptune's Inferno a couple of days ago. IMO, both were good reads. He focuses a lot on the personalities and eye witness accounts of survivors, some major figures and others minor.

I just found out about the Fleet at Flood Tide book the other day and was planning on getting it.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2097
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/20/2017 6:45:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Well written and researched. Gives one a sense of actually being in the action.

warspite1

Horten Hears a Who? Is a very good film.

I think the diplomatic process is beginning to break down

No idea where that line came from, or why he uses the voice he does - but exceptionally funny

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2098
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/20/2017 11:40:07 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Interactively entertaining. Really pulls you in.

Edit: sorry a bit too crass for this forum.

A crass novel written to expose the underbelly of life. In need of the touch of a Dickens' novel.

A crass novel written to expose the underbelly of life. In need of the touch of a Dickens' novel.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2099
RE: OT Things to ponder - 1/20/2017 4:46:16 PM   
geofflambert

Help. Pictured here are (I believe) chemkid's extended map sections labelled WPEH that I currently have in effect. The WPEN are stock maps that are not in use, I'm not sure if they're extended or not. Anyways I think I have to rename the WPEH sections so they are not used by the game but I want to replace them with chemkid's non-extended maps. Anyone know where his site is so I can download them? I need them to play AW1Steve, stock scenario #1.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2100
Page:   <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI