Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 5:02:04 PM   
geofflambert

I've got a strange case of avian rock - paper - scissors going on in my backyard. I have seven bird feeders going. Whenever one or more Blue Jays show up at the feeders, all the other birds scatter, save one. The Starlings pay them no mind and sometimes even run them off. Recently I put some berries on one feeder as I had seen a Mockingbird in the neighborhood and knew they liked those. Once it discovered them it established its territory and dominion over all my feeders, vigorously chasing off all comers, no matter how many. In the case of the Starlings it attacked them even if they were foraging on the ground. That's the only other bird I've seen take the berries. Robins take them and I've got one prowling the front yard so I've tossed it some berries, but it never shows up in the back. There's one thing though, the Mockingbird does not mess with the Blue Jays.

Anyways, I got this internet speed test from the State of NY, you can find it here: https://ag.ny.gov/are-you-getting-internet-speeds-you-are-paying

My results don't look very good (Charter / Spectrum):

I suppose these are tests of servers in or near NY but still ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 2/1/2017 5:03:49 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2161
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 5:26:12 PM   
Chickenboy

I guess it depends. If you're running first generation DSL, these are pretty good.

We pay a bit extra for Comcast / Spectrum / Whateverwearetoday cable modem service. We pretty regularly get 220Mbps download and 20-22 upload speeds. Just what I need for posting on THE THREAD!! or this analog.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2162
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 5:32:56 PM   
geofflambert

As I suspected, not very good. I actually cut down the telephone lines to my duplex as they weren't being used and were a nuisance. My internet is coming from the Spectrum cable handling TV phone and internet.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2163
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 6:37:34 PM   
geofflambert

Help! My cursor has a mind of its own to some extent. I was having terrific problems with my former mouse and replaced it with a new one. That solved most of the problem but most of the time the cursor wanders about, say 3 cms per minute or so. This makes playing the game more difficult but not impossible. Any idea what's going on? The cursor keeps wandering even when I unplug the mouse (I use one with a line).

Post #: 2164
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 6:42:50 PM   
Chickenboy

[seriously] Check the Windows 10 tech questions on this forum. Some very helpful suggestions on how to deal with graphic and cursor issues, not too dissimilar to what you describe.

You are running on Win10, right?

Post #: 2165
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 6:48:07 PM   
geofflambert

Right. I already fixed one problem using a thread on that subject. I'll try and find it again.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2166
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 6:56:22 PM   
geofflambert

I'm in that thread but most of the discussions are about gameplay problems. My cursor problem is independent of the game and goes on everywhere, whether in Windows mode or not.

Post #: 2167
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 7:13:51 PM   
BBfanboy

Is the cursor problem all the time, or just when you load the game? If the latter, I would set the Windows to compatibility with Win. 7. It sounds like the mouse driver software can't handle Win10 plus a program designed for an older Windows version.

Have you gone on the mouse web site to get the latest driver?
Maybe also get the latest Video Card driver software.
And a new mouse pad - the claw marks in your current one may be confusing the laser mouse.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2168
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 7:20:38 PM   
geofflambert

Here's what's going on, regardless of whether the game is running or not. I will try updating the drivers first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2169
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 7:23:52 PM   
geofflambert

The Logitech mouse driver update has fixed it (for now). Thanks.

Post #: 2170
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 7:25:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Here's what's going on, regardless of whether the game is running or not. I will try updating the drivers first.

I see George Patton got some good results from his cloning of himself! Bravo!
He really must share his recipe with us!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2171
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 8:43:47 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

I've got a strange case of avian rock - paper - scissors going on in my backyard. I have seven bird feeders going. Whenever one or more Blue Jays show up at the feeders, all the other birds scatter, save one. The Starlings pay them no mind and sometimes even run them off. Recently I put some berries on one feeder as I had seen a Mockingbird in the neighborhood and knew they liked those. Once it discovered them it established its territory and dominion over all my feeders, vigorously chasing off all comers, no matter how many. In the case of the Starlings it attacked them even if they were foraging on the ground. That's the only other bird I've seen take the berries. Robins take them and I've got one prowling the front yard so I've tossed it some berries, but it never shows up in the back. There's one thing though, the Mockingbird does not mess with the Blue Jays.

Anyways, I got this internet speed test from the State of NY, you can find it here: https://ag.ny.gov/are-you-getting-internet-speeds-you-are-paying

As far as feeding berries to birds go.....

Berries are high in acid. The acid goes through their digestive tract and excreted out the other end. Given that the main target of birds is cars, you will get the acid filled bombs on your car where if they are not washed off quickly enough, could lead to acid eating into the paint. It leaves little bird dropping shaped etchings on the car. The only way to fix this is to strip the paint completely off, treat the bare metal and repaint. I'd recommend a BB gun but it appears that Gorns like birds....seven feeders?

Post #: 2172
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/1/2017 9:00:43 PM   
Will_L

quote:

NY Attorney General Schneiderman is suing Charter/Spectrum-Time Warner.
http://gothamist.com/2017/02/01/spectrum_time_warner_lawsuit.php

Seen mockingbirds chase off everything but robins in my neighborhood, haven't seen any blue jays for several years now.

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 2173
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 2:50:17 AM   
geofflambert

I'd like to say something I think is important. I view this as psychiatry, not some other thing that cannot be discussed in this forum. I speak as a US citizen with the national interests of the United States in mind. Possibly in congruence with many, many other state's national interest, in mind. Speaking as an American, our closest ally (sorry Canada and the UK) has been Australia for many decades. Australia has recently been insulted by a personage claiming to speak for the US. I'd just like to say he does not speak for me. Please bear with us and our topsy-turvy democracy. This will pass.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 2174
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:02:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

I'd like to say something I think is important. I view this as psychiatry, not some other thing that cannot be discussed in this forum. I speak as a US citizen with the national interests of the United States in mind. Possibly in congruence with many, many other state's national interest, in mind. Speaking as an American, our closest ally (sorry Canada and the UK) has been Australia for many decades. Australia has recently been insulted by a personage claiming to speak for the US. I'd just like to say he does not speak for me. Please bear with us and our topsy-turvy democracy. This will pass.
warspite1

a) No - its politics
b) why does he claim to speak for the US. He does speak for the US whether you like it or not. It's called democracy.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 2175
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:21:12 AM   
geofflambert

Your eloquence is beyond question

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2176
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:45:00 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Your eloquence is beyond question

So are your teeth. I do hope you floss!

Post #: 2177
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:54:32 AM   
MakeeLearn

Meanwhile in Australia…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2178
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:56:58 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Meanwhile in Australia…

That explains a lot.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2179
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 3:59:14 AM   
geofflambert

Since I reached the age of my majority I have never, ever failed to vote when the opportunity arose. I have also never, ever been lectured about democracy. It's a whole new experience. Especially coming from a foreigner from a country that has a Queen. This may not turn out well. Just hear me.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2180
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 4:16:54 AM   
wdolson

I could probably write a book long essay on current US politics, but Matrix doesn't want discussion of current politics so we need to respect that. It's their forum.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 2181
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 4:52:10 AM   
geofflambert

So a friend of mine bumped into an old photo of himself. This would have been 1953 or '54. The little kid (my friend born in '48) is in the middle. The gentleman to his right was his father. The one to his immediate left was his maternal grandfather. The fellow on the far left of the photo was his great-uncle who was something of a potentate in capatalist terms. He doesn't recognize the fellow in the right of the picture. I have a couple of questions about it. First, the guy on the right has a really short tie, which I associate with the military, but I wasn't even born yet so what do I know? Any comments? The other is that when I was young there were two gauges for toy trains. My brother was given HO gauge stuff, older brother, I got the dregs. I was given the N gauge stuff. I thought it was much more efficient in any case. The little kid in the picture says that the train set you see was bigger than HO. Behind his great-uncle is a Christmas tree. There is no Red Rider BB gun in the picture. Just tell me about the tie and the train gauge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2182
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 5:52:01 AM   
wdolson

The train is a Lionel. They had their own thing that didn't really fit into any standard gauges. My father was very much into model railroading back then (his favorite hangout was Troxel's Train Shop in Los Angeles) and he always turned up his nose at Lionel.

I don't know about the tie. It looks like something from a Laurel and Hardy film.

Bill

Post #: 2183
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 5:55:21 AM   
geofflambert

I was thinking that too, about the tie. Wouldn't Hardy flip that at someone he was frustrated with?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2184
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 6:06:07 AM   
witpqs

Another fine thread you've gotten us into, Ollie!

Post #: 2185
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 7:12:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Since I reached the age of my majority I have never, ever failed to vote when the opportunity arose. I have also never, ever been lectured about democracy. It's a whole new experience. Especially coming from a foreigner from a country that has a Queen. This may not turn out well. Just hear me.
warspite1

a) You weren't being lectured. You were being reminded about politics on this thread.
b) You were being reminded that if 'that person' claims to speak for America - then er.... he actually does, because under a democratic voting system he was given that right.
c) The fact that you state a country with a constitutional monarchy cannot be democratic and/or in some way means I cannot speak to you about democracy is rather unfortunate. But I know you are not stupid and you know we are a democratic nation, so I guess it was just a cheap shot. The fact it was a blank round and there was nothing to aim at just makes it a shame you fired .

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/2/2017 7:42:58 AM >

Post #: 2186
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 7:46:54 AM   
wdolson

You've had your say. Please cut out the politics.

Bill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2187
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 8:06:46 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

You've had your say. Please cut out the politics.

Bill
warspite1

Will do.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2188
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 1:34:49 PM   
Lecivius

And just to keep pondering...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2189
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/2/2017 2:12:23 PM   
rockmedic109

That picture takes me back through the fog of age. Your friend is 11 years younger than my dad. I remember going to granpa's house {where dad grew up} and playing with three rail train tracks. I never saw the trains and never more than a couple of track lengths. Now I am going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember the layout of granpa's old ranch house {which we tore apart piece by piece to build two other houses}.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2190
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI