Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:24:29 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Got a bit of lurker in me

Um, you don't have that problem in other life aspects do ya friend?

Nope, thankfully family and grandson keep me well occupied and entertained. :-)

was Will_L for a while.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2401
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:26:45 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: WRLertola

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Got a bit of lurker in me

Um, you don't have that problem in other life aspects do ya friend?

Nope, thankfully family and grandson keep me well occupied and entertained. :-)

Whew, just checking.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 2402
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:43:36 PM   
geofflambert

We've got him up to 36 posts now, keep it up.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2403
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:01:01 PM   
DD696

Is it just me - or is lawyer and drug company advertising is the US of A getting too much to bear?

How much is this costing the average wargamer?

Every other advertisement on TV seems to be from one or the other.

We even have stupid lawyers putting out rap videos in the Savannah area.

And the drug companies - this drug might just help you out a little bit, but the side effects will probably be the end of you. Ask your doctor how we can better and easily kill you - and all for only X thousands of dollars a month.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2404
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:08:23 PM   
AW1Steve

I recall a time when the American Bar assoc. forbid lawyers from advertising anywhere but in the yellow pages. Because it was seen as "unprofessional", and would give rise to comments like "ambulance chasing". And that was only 30 years ago. Isn't it wonderful how far the profession has come?

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2405
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:14:01 PM   
DD696

aw1 - I don't agree with you too often - but this time those of us that defended the seas are in agreement. Lawyers are leeches upon society. Drug companies reside in areas that even lawyers and sailors fear to tread.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2406
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:40:18 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

aw1 - I don't agree with you too often - but this time those of us that defended the seas are in agreement. Lawyers are leeches upon society. Drug companies reside in areas that even lawyers and sailors fear to tread.

Drug companies reside in areas that even lawyers and sailors fear to tread.

One drug company had Sheryl Crow to play for their employees at lunch.

"Lawyers are those who use the law as shoemakers use leather; rubbing it, pressing it, and stretching it with their teeth, all to the end of making it fit their purposes."

-- Louis XII

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/24/2017 11:41:37 PM >

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2407
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:47:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

You should hear my spouse on the subject! And she IS a lawyer. And has worked all sides of the law, from a legal secretary to paralegal (as well as a LN2) then a Navy JAG for nearly 25 years, and now a GS civilian for the USAF. She can blister your ears on the subject!

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2408
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 11:56:59 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

You should hear my spouse on the subject! And she IS a lawyer. And has worked all sides of the law, from a legal secretary to paralegal (as well as a LN2) then a Navy JAG for nearly 25 years, and now a GS civilian for the USAF. She can blister your ears on the subject!

Under the old ABA guidelines, we never had the informative and incisive commercials of Saul Goodman, Esq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPd67CEL54E

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2409
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/25/2017 12:01:06 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

At school in the 1960s we were taught that Drs. Banting and Best were Canadian heroes for developing the first really effective internal antibiotic from the blue mold "Pennicillium". This discovery saved many lives. About 10-20 years later I was watching a TV documentary about the race to develop an antibiotic from the mold. It turns out that several other researchers were also working on the project and there may have been some skullduggery involved in Banting & Best's achievement. IIRC, they were working for Connaught Labs, which may have done some industrial espionage by getting info on what the other guys were doing. Later lawsuits were never able to prove it.

Thus the shine comes off another set of heroes, and it was clear to me that drug companies value profit more than their souls!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2410
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/25/2017 1:15:25 AM   
geofflambert

OK, everybody settle down. I guess I started this but it has gone far enough. One of the main purposes of this thread has always been to measure just how superior gorns are to all other species. Let's return to praising gorns above all others.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2411
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/25/2017 1:53:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I guess I started this but it has gone far enough.

I quite agree. This thread has gone on for far too long. Thank you for saying what most of us have been thinking.

Post #: 2412
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/25/2017 2:37:29 AM   
geofflambert

So true. Thanks to all the contributors like Chickenboy who've helped it go on this long. We need more heroes like him!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2413
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 6:39:14 PM   
geofflambert

This is for Orm if no one else. Queen Smaug has become quite efficient at driving off other birds. I'm supposed to be counting birds at my feeders today and tomorrow for the Cornell Ornithology Lab Feederwatch project. I've so far today seen one Downy Woodpecker land on one of my feeders and before I could identify its gender or it could grab a bite the Mockingbird was on it. I don't have seven feeders out there for one mockingbird. I'm fixing to dump out all the feeders into trays which if birds don't take it the squirrels will and I'll just not put up any feeders until the queen plays her game of thrones and moves on to another territory. Otherwise I might start thinking about a movie starring Gregory Peck.

Post #: 2414
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 7:27:11 PM   
geofflambert

This is mildly amusing at best. Not so long ago USPS was considering not doing Saturday deliveries. I don't remember if they ever did Sunday deliveries. If so, must've been a long time before my Alzheimer's set in. Anyways, this morning I checked on some things I had on order and two of the items were (separately) to be delivered today via USPS. I chuckled thinking 'no way'. Both items (separately, don't know if the human who did it in both cases was the same person or if droids are doing it, each rang my doorbell and as soon as I got there they were gone) have been delivered today, Sunday, on my porch. Perhaps Santa is hard up and has a non-seasonal job now delivering on Sundays.

Post #: 2415
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:16:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Otherwise I might start thinking about a movie starring Gregory Peck.

12 o'clock high?
Moby Dick?
Roman Holiday?

Post #: 2416
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:21:39 PM   
btd64

quote:

This is mildly amusing at best. Not so long ago USPS was considering not doing Saturday deliveries. I don't remember if they ever did Sunday deliveries. If so, must've been a long time before my Alzheimer's set in. Anyways, this morning I checked on some things I had on order and two of the items were (separately) to be delivered today via USPS. I chuckled thinking 'no way'. Both items (separately, don't know if the human who did it in both cases was the same person or if droids are doing it, each rang my doorbell and as soon as I got there they were gone) have been delivered today, Sunday, on my porch. Perhaps Santa is hard up and has a non-seasonal job now delivering on Sundays.

They started Sunday deliveries a few years back. I think it was a few years. Could be longer. Talk about Alzheimer's.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 2417
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:30:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

This is for Orm if no one else. Queen Smaug has become quite efficient at driving off other birds. I'm supposed to be counting birds at my feeders today and tomorrow for the Cornell Ornithology Lab Feederwatch project. I've so far today seen one Downy Woodpecker land on one of my feeders and before I could identify its gender or it could grab a bite the Mockingbird was on it. I don't have seven feeders out there for one mockingbird. I'm fixing to dump out all the feeders into trays which if birds don't take it the squirrels will and I'll just not put up any feeders until the queen plays her game of thrones and moves on to another territory. Otherwise I might start thinking about a movie starring Gregory Peck.

Thank you for the update.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 2418
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:56:29 PM   
MakeeLearn

This winter, I have a chickadee that will come let me know when the feed needs restocking.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2419
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:57:44 PM   
geofflambert

Feeders all dumped except for one that I've never seen the mockingbird at that has millet, peanut hearts (little pieces) and Nyjer. For the finches and sparrows. Haven't seen many in a while, I'll dump that too if the mockingbird defends it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2420
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 8:59:08 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

This winter, I have a chickadee that will come let me know when the feed needs restocking.

What state are you in? I haven't seen any chickadees this year yet.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2421
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 9:03:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

Tennessee. My house is surrounded on 3 sides by water and 4 sides by woods and pastures so I get lots of bird activity. Bald Eagles are common, I've even had to get a broom after one.

Ive seen 4 Chickadees at one time this year.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/26/2017 9:05:03 PM >

Post #: 2422
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 9:13:03 PM   
btd64

quote:

Feeders all dumped except for one that I've never seen the mockingbird at that has millet, peanut hearts (little pieces) and Nyjer. For the finches and sparrows. Haven't seen many in a while, I'll dump that too if the mockingbird defends it.

I read somewhere that changing the birds environment will change habits. Sometimes for the worst. But the dumping of the feed is a good idea to rid yourself of the mockingbird....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 2423
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 9:16:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

How could any respectable mockingbird be in a yard that doesn't have a Magnolia tree?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 2424
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 9:29:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

Mockingbirds still fly with D-Day markings

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2425
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/26/2017 9:33:51 PM   
btd64

An American warbird.GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2426
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 11:26:00 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Amazon made an arrangement with the USPS to deliver Sunday packages. I've had them delivered on Sundays a number of times. Had a package this Sunday.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 2427
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 12:33:06 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Tennessee. My house is surrounded on 3 sides by water and 4 sides by woods and pastures so I get lots of bird activity. Bald Eagles are common, I've even had to get a broom after one.

Ive seen 4 Chickadees at one time this year.

Down where you are they would likely be identified as Carolina Chickadees. Black Capped Chickadees are said to extend south near you in the Appalachians. I can't tell the difference. You can't tell it from their singing and I look at pictures and the variations are insignificant and typical of what you would see in one species. I'm right on the border of their territories. I call mine Carolina but I don't know.

I'd swear I've been hearing a Baltimore Oriole singing in the mornings but I've never laid eyes on one.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2428
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 12:41:57 PM   
Canoerebel

It is possible to distinguish between a Carolina chickadee and a black-capped chickadee, both by appearance and voice. But a birdwatcher has to be very experienced to do so. Otherwise it's like asking a high school German student to distinguish between a Bavarian accent and a Westphalian accent.

The ranges of the two don't really overlap except at high altitude. Here in NW Georgia we have only the Carolina chickadee. The same would be true in Alabama and the western 3/4ths of Tennessee.

It's been a weirdly warm winter in much of the eastern US, so birds may be out of the usual location at the moment. It's unlikely you'd have a Baltimore oriole this early (they're among the later migrants), but not impossible. But orioles have a whistling or caroling-type song that somewhat resembles an American robin, so that's a possibility.

Post #: 2429
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/27/2017 12:55:56 PM   
geofflambert

The Oriole? sounds like it's singing from a giant oak tree across the alley from my backyard. My next door neighbor has two very large oak trees and a good sized sweet gum tree. About 15 years or so ago a Bosnian refugee family owned that duplex and occupied both sides of it. Once they had this old (he looked about 70 or so) Bosnian guy prune those oaks back. He climbed around in those trees like a monkey. He didn't have a rope or anything, just a bow saw. Not even a ladder. It was amazing watching him, he was really fast and obviously knew exactly what he was doing.

Post #: 2430
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI