Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 3:43:03 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I was only able to rename two carriers.

CV John Wick and a carryover from my dormant PBEM against Chickenboy, CV Death From Above in homage to Apocalypse Now.

CV James Bond was just too Britsh Hans, although I've always enjoyed the Bond movies, more so the original books.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/29/2016 4:02:14 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 91
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 4:16:09 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The Nov. 1st turn is away to Erik.

American CV's are still withdrawing towards Pearl Harbor.

The first large concentration of support troops have left Pearl Harbor en route to Christmas Island. Christmas Island will develop into a major staging area for distribution of troops to the Central and South Pacific. To that end, every APD currently based at Pearl is heading to Luganville. The APD's will be invaluable getting reinforcements quickly into the Solomons.

The reorganization in Burma begins. Allied air is defensive until I get a better handle on things. Certain air units have been rebased in central India. Designated bomber bases are being established, and aviation support is being redistributed.

Allied AA units leave Celyon on whatever shipping is available in a mass exodus. Everything will rail to Chittagong and begin marching into Burma.

Within a week, every available tanker and transport in the entire Pacific War theatre will be moving fuel, supply and troops forward. Everything! Some will run out of fuel, others will be stranded for a short period of time, but I need to cram at least eight months of logistics into two. Love it!

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/29/2016 5:41:52 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 92
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 6:43:34 PM   
Lowpe

Do you have a favorite Allied ship, other than the renamed CVs?

I am partial to the oddball ships...usually smaller.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 93
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 6:49:14 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Do you have a favorite Allied ship, other than the renamed CVs?

I am partial to the oddball ships...usually smaller.

I always pick a ship and submarine for each side that represents 'me' as if I was Captain.

For Japan:

CA Suzuya & SS I-26

Allies:

CA Pensacola and SS Grenadier. Sadly SS Grenadier was sunk at Manila. I have yet to pick my submarine for this one.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 94
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 6:56:00 PM   
Lowpe

I sure am glad you didn't say Boise.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 95
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 7:44:54 PM   
SqzMyLemon

A turn back from Erik already. I mentioned to him about the possible PP abuse so the issue could be put to bed. He didn't sound thrilled, but wasn't sure there was anything to be done. I might note which units were assigned an air HQ and look at a new game to see if any advantage was gained. If anything feels wrong, I'll try to make it right in some way.

I'll run the replay, but tonight is a turn for Francois and a model night for me. Time to get back to the workbench.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 96
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 4/29/2016 10:27:53 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Chester Nimitz sits in his office staring at the wall map of the Pacific, still smarting from his face to face with Admiral King in Washington over the Marcus Island disaster. To a casual observer Nimitz seems outwardly calm, non-plussed and contemplative. To those that know him, it's not his demeanor or posture that give rise to his innermost thoughts, but his eyes. The pale blue eyes are cold and penetrating, burning as deeply as the coldest frost on a Winter's day. No one is a harsher critic to oneself than Nimitz, and he feels personally responsible for the defeat about to unfold before the American people.

Too many rising sun flags, like measles or some such pestilence, covering the map. Where, where do we strike now? Where do we restore the morale of the navy and our sister services? He slowly rises from his chair, walks up to the map and reaches for an American flagged pin. A moment and it's done. He takes small satisfaction from feeling the wall's resistance prior to the pin piercing the map, just next to the pin representing the Empire of Japan. Here is where we start to erase the memory of failure. Here is where we begin anew. With that he leaves his office to change and head out on his daily run. He already feels the tension leaving his body, but his eyes, they still shimmer with the cold intensity of an icy blue frost.

The name on the map...

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/29/2016 10:46:28 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 97
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/1/2016 6:37:33 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Nov. 2/43:

Heavy Japanese air activity in Burma and China today, but first an air action over New Guinea.

My first encounter against the N1K1-J George doesn't bode well, but two lessons learned. Don't deploy single squadrons to a forward airbase without radar, and certainly don't set them to a low CAP. I'm still in the process of sorting out my air dispositions and should have withdrawn this squadron to Port Moresby. The good news is only one pilot was lost and there are 142 Spitfire Vc's in the pool. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Lae , at 99,126

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 38

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 7 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x N1K1-J George sweeping at 31000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Spitfire Vc Trop (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 8 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Lae , at 99,126

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 4

Allied aircraft
Spitfire Vc Trop x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x N1K1-J George sweeping at 31000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Spitfire Vc Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes

Now to Burma and China.

Heavy sweeps against Ramree Island and Paoshan.

Against Paoshan...meh.

Thunderstorms over Ramree Island reduce the effectiveness of the Japanese bombing. The airbase repairs more than is damaged from the previous day though.

Allied CAP is strictly defensive over Chittagong and Calcutta until I sort out my dispositions. I've withdrawn all the bombers to Calcutta in an effort to avoid losses to airbase bombing. I can't protect all the fields adequately, so I choose to defend only two. Once the theatre is reinforced with more FLAK, let's see if Erik continues to bomb at 8k.

Thoughts:

I'm in limbo at the moment. Just trying to sort out my forces and how best to deploy them for my style of play. After only two days of my changes, I see an improvement in supply in Burma already. It's still going to be hard to supply the forward positions though. Unfortunately, all but three Allied divisions withdrew successfully from near Taung Gyi. I somehow missed that they weren't set to withdraw. If Erik moves forward he could catch and trash all three. I'll know soon enough.

I'm really happy with my moves to strengthen New Guinea and the Solomons. Once I learn more about the Japanese dispositions I'll begin to move forward where I can.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/1/2016 6:39:21 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 98
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/1/2016 5:52:02 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Nov. 3/43:

The Solomons

More encounters with the N1K1-J George today, this time over Rekata Bay. Allied transports unloading an American construction unit drew the attention of the Japanese. AAR's follow:

Morning Air attack on Rekata Bay , at 113,134

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 34

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x N1K1-J George sweeping at 31000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VMF-441 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Raid is overhead

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Rekata Bay at 113,134

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 18
B5N2 Kate x 14

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
xAK Empire Condor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Empire Grenfell, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Bombay

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 16 (7 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
VMF-441 with F4U-1 Corsair (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Raid is overhead

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Empire Condor

I didn't anticipate the sweep, which was why my CAP was set low to intercept a possible naval air strike. I'm impressed how well the Corsair held it's own, but I lose three on the day for only two Zero's in return. I can't trade losses with my best aircraft, so I'll have to improve my air defences. Both transports hit sunk later in the turn. This was a holdover from Historiker's side of things that I let continue. In hindsight, I should have pulled the transports back because landing engineers at Rekata Bay serve no useful purpose at this time. I'm having to do this all over the map and I've missed a few things. In this case, I should have stopped the operation, but didn't knowing it could go bad.

CentPac:

Japanese Betty and Nell bombers hammer Marcus Island today. Losses are heavy from the over-stacking and no supply. It sucks to watch, but I remind myself this isn't on me. As I pick up the pieces, I can't help but wonder why this operation was even conducted.

Morning Air attack on 25th Infantry Division, at 123,85 (Marcus Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 26
G4M1 Betty x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
913 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 43 destroyed, 74 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 12 (2 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (7 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
18 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet

Morning Air attack on 1st Cavalry (Spec) Cavalry Division, at 123,85 (Marcus Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
399 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 17 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet

Burma:

I perform my first offensive missions of the war that are my own today. A squadron of P-47's sweeps Shwebo followed by Beafighter VIc's set to strafe a small Japanese force at the base. There is no Japanese CAP. AAR follows:

Morning Air attack on 2nd Raiding Regiment, at 59,45 (Shwebo)

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIc x 14

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
110 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Beaufighter VIc bombing from 100 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Ok, nothing exciting, but I'm just probing to get a feel of the theatre and how Erik defends. This tells me there's no LRCAP set from Taung Gyi.

All Allied forces in Burma are supplied this turn. I'm curious to see if I can maintain the supply levels during periods of no combat. The first batch of Chinese units rail out of Ledo bound for Karachi. I'll reorganize my Chinese forces there before recommitting them to the theatre. I'd like to use them to secure my flank in Burma from a Japanese offensive out of China.

Other than that, I continue to pull bomber units back to rear area bases and redistribute my aviation support along the Burma/India border. I feel much better about this theatre now and will accelerate my offensive plans somewhat.

In logistic news, 37930 fuel reaches Pearl Harbor. This was a leftover from Historiker as well. At least I'll be able to refuel some of the ships returning from the Marcus Island operation. There is a new tanker TF inbound from San Francisco carrying 175k+ of fuel and more on the way. Why were these tankers left sitting idle on the west coast with Pearl Harbor almost dry?

The first of the Amphibious TF's involved at Marcus Island arrived in Pearl Harbor today. Three damaged light cruisers and an APA are bound for the yards. All will be repaired within 17 days.

As I get more familiar with my position, sadly I'm noticing quite a few Allied LCU's assigned to air HQ's and RAF Groups in Australia and India. I don't know for sure if this was done to save PP's, but it seems so to me. I also noticed an American CV at Sydney and three British Martlet Squadrons that had been resized to 90 aircraft each and drawing replacements and pilots. I've begun resizing them. At first I thought why Marlet's and British pilots, if you're going to pull a fast one use American airframes and pilots. Not much I can do other than try and quietly fix what I consider gamey. The LCU's really put me in a tight spot, because I just don't know how much of an advantage was gained.

All that aside, I'm feeling much more comfortable and not so overwhelmed. After some marathon sessions, I'm now in a position to crank out a turn in an hour.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/3/2016 9:09:34 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 99
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 4:39:09 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Nov. 4/43:

Quiet turn. All the activity on Japan's side. Sweeps in Burma and New Guinea go unanswered by the Allies. More bombing of Marcus Island. Unfortunately, I notice Wake is over-stacked too. Why would anyone choose to advance along an indefensible LOC where atoll stacking limits are 6k. Why?

I'm almost there. Pretty much everything is sorted out now. Just a few remaining Chinese air force squadrons to redeploy from Ledo and I'm done the reorganization in Burma. Reinforcements are arriving at Chittagong, primarily AA and engineering units. The bomber force has been withdrawn to rear area bases so only fighters remain at forward airbases.

Supply is dropping in Burma again, so that tells me Nov. 4th was a resupply day. I'll see how long it takes for the next topping up. It's still going to take a major effort to get supply into the theatre. I'm thinking Ramree Island will be key, so I'm planning an amphibious operation to heavily reinforce and resupply the island. The timing will be during my ground offensive through the Irrawaddy Valley. I figure if I provide so many targets to Erik, something will get ashore.

Once things develop a little farther in Burma I'll start to show the Allied dispositions.

In the Solomons, I pull back from reinforcing Lunga as the DL on all my forces has increased substantially. Erik is being very aggressive with his air force and I'm not in a position to counter it yet. I'm heavily reinforcing Luganville with air and naval units. This will be my base of operations to consolidate the Guadalcanal area.

There were almost 8-10 PBY squadrons based at Pearl and the West Coast doing nothing. They are all being deployed to the Pacific. Right now my search capabilities are nil, so once I get everything set up I can make better decisions moving forward.

I caught another 90 aircraft squadron, this time of Avenger's. I'm busy resizing these air units.

Pretty boring for most of you at the moment, but things will start picking up soon as my first efforts to shore up the Allied position are underway. The priority remains logistics and making the Allied forward position sustainable. It's been a blast improving my inherited position, which isn't all bad I must say. At least I have something to build on.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/2/2016 2:32:58 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 100
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 1:06:47 PM   
dave sindel

I dont find this boring at all. I've picked up a few tidbits of insight into how experienced players approach logistics.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 101
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 2:31:11 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

I dont find this boring at all. I've picked up a few tidbits of insight into how experienced players approach logistics.

Glad to hear you are getting something out of it.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 102
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 2:54:37 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Another small SCTF involved in the Marcus Island operation arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 4th. CA Wichita joins the three light cruisers in the yards.

I've been loading up air transport TF's at San Francisco to get more naval aircraft to Pearl Harbor. I break down the squadrons into their A/B/C components and assign each to one transport. When I get 9-12 ships loaded up, I combine them all into one TF and assign escorts. The TF will follow a designated ASW TF to its destination. The reason I break the squadron down into thirds is to avoid losing the whole air unit to a torpedo hit. Historiker has a number of squadrons assigned to a single transport. I will rest easier when these ships reach port safely.

I'm turning Midway into a forward base for submarines. It currently lacks an AS and fuel. I will also use Luganville as a forward destroyer and submarine base. An AS and AD are en route from Sydney.

The Solomons campaign is going to be fun. Worried about the Japanese air and possible naval threat to Lunga, I created two six boat PT taskforces to patrol the base. I siphoned fuel from the transports unloading at the base before setting them to retire back to Luganville. I added a squadron of P-39's to provide low CAP so the Corsairs could be set as high CAP. I don't recall if there is radar at Lunga. I will check and if not, it will be a priority to get some suitably equipped base forces deployed. I need to get some LCI's into Luganville so I can unload much faster. The ships I am sending to Lunga unload slowly which makes them vulnerable. They are expendable, but I still want to give them a fighting chance at survival.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/2/2016 2:57:31 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 103
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 2:58:42 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Another small SCTF involved in the Marcus Island operation arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 4th. CA Wichita joins the three light cruisers in the yards.

I've been loading up air transport TF's at San Francisco to get more naval aircraft to Pearl Harbor. I break down the squadrons into their A/B/C components and assign each to one transport. When I get 9-12 ships loaded up, I combine them all into one TF and assign escorts. The TF will follow a designated ASW TF to its destination. The reason I break the squadron down into thirds is to avoid losing the whole air unit to a torpedo hit. Historiker has a number of squadrons assigned to a single transport. I will rest easier when these ships reach port safely.

I'm turning Midway into a forward base for submarines. It currently lacks an AS and fuel. I will also use Luganville as a forward destroyer and submarine base. An AS and AD are en route from Sydney.

The Solomons campaign is going to be fun. Worried about the Japanese air and possible naval threat to Lunga, I created two six boat PT taskforces to patrol the base. I siphoned fuel from the transports unloading at the base before setting them to retire back to Luganville. I added a squadron of P-39's to provide low CAP so the Corsairs could be set as high CAP. I don't recall if there is radar at Lunga. I will check and if not, it will be a priority to get some suitably equipped base forces deployed. I need to get some LCI's into Luganville so I can unload much faster. The ships I am sending to Lunga unload slowly which makes them vulnerable. They are expendable, but I still want to give them a fighting chance at survival.

Do you also remove the pilots from the groups? Mr. Kane mentioned that he did that and I found it to be very good advice defensively. Aferall, isnt it the pilots that are the key important ingredient?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 104
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 3:04:50 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Do you also remove the pilots from the groups? Mr. Kane mentioned that he did that and I found it to be very good advice defensively. Aferall, isnt it the pilots that are the key important ingredient?

Ha, that's a good suggestion. I never thought of the pilots! As to are they more important then the planes, I guess that depends on the airframe and perhaps what side you are on. Losing a squadron of P-47's at sea would be a heavy blow. You can train more pilots...

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 105
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/2/2016 3:08:59 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Ha, that's a good suggestion. I never thought of the pilots! As to are they more important then the planes, I guess that depends on the airframe and perhaps what side you are on. Losing a squadron of P-47's at sea would be a heavy blow. You can train more pilots...

So if you take the pilots off you have a very good chance to lose 1/6th of the components of a full squadron doing it like you do. Bravo!!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 106
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/3/2016 3:00:55 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Nov. 5/43:

Another quiet Allied turn.

Burma:

Japan sweep and bomb Lashio, but damage is light, and FLAK accounts for two downed Helen's. I will continue my tactic of ignoring Japanese bombing, as I did in my game against Chickenboy. I'll only commit to air actions that further my goals, rather than dissipate my strength in meaningless A2A combat.

I'm starting to perform recon missions all over Burma in an effort to mask my intentions, which are to hit the rearward Japanese bomber bases while most of the fighters are performing sweeps and escorts.

The Solomons:

No air attacks by Japan today, but a Japanese naval force of four destroyers was spotted north of Rekata Bay. Pulling back my amphibious TF's was the right call. However, the Japanese actions are disrupting my reinforcing of Lunga. I just need 3-4 more days until my pieces are in place to take the fight to the Japanese.

CentPac:

More Allied combat vessels return to Pearl Harbor. The carriers are still 3-4 days out. Depending on repairs and fuel, the fleet should be able to resume offensive operations by the end of November. I'd like to secure the Gilbert Islands to safeguard the LOC from Pearl Harbor to Luganville.

Logistics:

Improving every day. It's still a few weeks until fuel and supply start arriving in the forward areas, but the process of providing continuous logistic support is underway.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/3/2016 4:06:42 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 107
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/3/2016 4:16:59 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I've been meaning to post aircraft pool numbers. Many of the air units have reserve aircraft assigned to them, and as I work through my turns I return them to the pool. It's not that I don't like to assign reserve aircraft in some cases, but right now I'm trying to establish how many replacement aircraft I have in total for some airframes. I'll start to reassign reserve aircraft once I know my numbers.

One thing I've noticed is I have very few B-17's available, mostly B-24's. The B-24J pool was around 120, so I've slowly started upgrading a few squadrons to this airframe. I'm reassigning most of the B-24D airframes to SoPac, as their longer range is a better fit for me in this theatre.

There are roughly 30+ P-47's in the pool. Corsair and Hellcat pools look low.

I'm starting to receive the Spitfire VIII and have two new squadrons that recently arrived at Aden.

As I begin to get involved in the air war, I'll do my best to husband my forces and avoid any outright disasters. I have little experience with these mid war airframes and will learn as I go.

I'll try to post some screens on the weekend.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/3/2016 4:19:42 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 108
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 4:30:59 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Current aircraft pools.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/4/2016 4:35:24 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 109
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 4:57:19 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Nov. 6/42:

Every end has a beginning. I officially call 6 Nov 43 the beginning of my New Guinea and Solomon campaign.

Interesting development at Kirakira. I'll let the screenshot tell the tale. Sigh, Luganvill should be Luganville.

Now, what am I going to do about it. B-24D's based at Luganville are ordered to bomb the Japanese defenders at Kirakira. P-39's based at Lunga are ordered to provide escort. Following the bombing, 1st Australian Parachute Bn. based at Luganville will conduct an air assault against the base. If the Japanese defence isn't an established one, there's a chance the Australian's can capture the base and destroy the float plane detachment. A small action that if successful, may serve notice that I'm prepared to deal with his hijinks, even if totally surprised by it this time.

Then again, I haven't taken the base yet and if my counter doesn't work, he'll gain a few more days of intelligence and may cause trouble. A good move by Erik.

In other news, my first submarine strike after issuing my own orders. The Sub-chaser later sinks. AAR follows:

Sub attack near Kangean at 59,103

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-8, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O21

SS O21 launches 2 torpedoes
O21 bottoming out ....
Sub escapes detection

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/4/2016 5:19:17 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 110
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 2:28:13 PM   
Lowpe

You should have bombed today, and dropped the airborne troops the following day. Just in case it is an unpleasant surprise, but I really doubt it so you are probably ok. But you aren't really in a hurry, right now are you?

All that American production is going to spoil you!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 111
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 2:37:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

You should have bombed today, and dropped the airborne troops the following day. Just in case it is an unpleasant surprise, but I really doubt it so you are probably ok. But you aren't really in a hurry, right now are you?

All that American production is going to spoil you!

I want to strike quickly to prevent more Japanese troops being flown in. I don't know what I'm facing, but I think it's just aviation support. I'll soon find out.

You're right, I'm not in a hurry. It's still some weeks away before I make a major push in the theatre, but I do want to start fighting, even if they are just little actions.

Ha, I'll feel spoiled when the 4E's start to rain down their goodness.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 112
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 4:36:58 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I've noticed Japanese forces redeploying from Taung Gyi to Toungoo. Does Erik suspect a new axis of advance, knowing he can easily block a move against Taung Gyi from the east?

The Allied advance force in Burma is sorely lacking base force and construction support units. The force composition is all artillery, armour and infantry. Yet another deficiency to address.

The only real issue with the changes that need to happen in Burma is the time involved to implement them. Shattered Allied units are withdrawing to the rear for replenishment and will be out of action for months.

I suspect a Japanese move against Paoshan from within China. The attention of Japanese bombers coupled with recon indicating Japanese forces approaching the base tends to reinforce my assumption. Paoshan is held by Chinese construction, base force and HQ units totaling 80 AV. It will provide no obstacle to a Japanese assault. The capture of Paoshan will threaten my flank in Burma though, and I'm going to have to take measures to secure Lashio and prevent a possible move against Myitkyina.

My first offensive goal in Burma is to clear the Myitkyina to Lashio rail line, which I hope will allow better supply flow forward. I have to wait until the AA units arrive, otherwise my ground forces will take a pounding in the clear terrain bases of Shwebo and Mandalay. Lacking the repair capability of base force and construction units forward just doesn't help matters.

Delay, delay, delay...

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/4/2016 4:41:56 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 113
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 4:37:33 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Ha, I'll feel spoiled when the 4E's start to rain down their goodness.

Obvert is a tough air opponent -- at least from reading Jocke's old AAR.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 114
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 4:47:47 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Obvert is a tough air opponent -- at least from reading Jocke's old AAR.

That's exactly my thoughts too and why I'm not rushing an air offensive in Burma until I can sustain it. I could utilize the air force to put some kind of pressure on Japanese forces in Burma for example, but how much strength would I lose prior to my ground offensive?

I mentioned this in my previous AAR against Chickenboy. I think it's a mistake to engage Japanese air just to be doing something. As the Allied player, you can't win the attrition battle against Japanese production, so I tend to use my air force only to gain local air superiority in support of ground offensives.

I'll rely on improved AA to whittle the Japanese bomber force while my fighters concentrate on getting the bombers through.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 115
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/4/2016 10:21:33 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The bulk of the Allied fleet will arrive back at Pearl Harbor tomorrow on 7.11, earlier than I first predicted. The large number of ships will deplete Pearl Harbor of fuel, even if I limit refueling to the undamaged ships. It will be a few weeks until the fuel storage facilities will be topped up and the fleet is available for operations. I need time to prep the combat LCU's for their new targets anyway, a few of which are atolls, so preparation will be crucial.

I've started to unload construction units at Christmas Island to quickly expand the airbase and port. It hasn't been developed. I get an idea of the speed the Allies can expand bases. Just for example in India, two American construction regiments expanded Jamshedpur's airbase from level 1 to 2 in three days!

Haven't received the turn yet and I'm anxious to see if I snuffed out the snoopers at Kirakira. The Solomons are about to get busy.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 116
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/5/2016 3:00:16 PM   
SqzMyLemon

7 Nov 43

A painful turn for the Allies all around today.

The big news is the defeat and surrender of Allied forces at Marcus Island. I'm glad this one is over and I no longer have to be reminded of it daily.

The Allied paratroop assault fails to dislodge the Japanese defenders at Kirakira as elements of a naval guard unit have also been flown in. I'll have to put together a proper assault force for this one.

Erik moves in fighter and dive bombers to Merauke and sinks six small transports unloading at Horn Island and Portland Roads. My CAP proved insufficient at both locations.

I'm paying the price for a less than ideal support network of bases. If Erik only knew how weak some forward bases were. A few paratroop drops or fast transport amphibious landings would bag him a lot of support units and air squadrons. As optimistic as I am, I'm going to have to be patient. I can't advance here on the cheap as Erik painfully made me aware. I just have to wait until I have the forces available to make a proper advance.

This is definitely where I take issue with my predecessor's way of doing things. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to live with the current situation for as long as it takes me to change it.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/5/2016 3:03:11 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 117
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/5/2016 4:24:43 PM   
SqzMyLemon

7 Nov 43 continued...

The fleet arrives back at Pearl Harbor. There are a lot more damaged ships than I first thought. The yards will be busy for weeks. Fuel at Pearl is gone, but 185k will arrive in two days.

I need to understand replenishment groups on CVE's. I really don't know how they work. Looking over a number of them I was confused as to how they had been set up. For example, most of the CVE's have a capacity for 28 aircraft, but I'm finding a large number that have 56 aircraft aboard. The composition is usually 28 fighters and 28 dive or torpedo bombers, with the fighters set to CAP. Wouldn't the 56 aircraft, double the capacity, prevent or severely penalize the fighter CAP?

The number of combat ships that I have to sort through is a little overwhelming. I'm trying to prioritize the yards to get a number of combat taskforces set and deployed to Christmas Island to support operations in CentPac. First up will be the reinforcing of Canton and Baker Islands. I need recon and search occurring over the Gilbert Islands. The first major operation slated for the navy it an amphibious landing at Tabiteuea Island, but that is months away due to needing to prep the assault forces.

Christmas Island now has 350+ engineers deployed and expansion of the base is underway. Those American construction regiments kick ass! I need to get a large number of these into the Santa Cruz Islands and SoPac pronto.

I'll be able to prevent losses, like suffered on 6 Nov, when I have the assets in place to dictate terms. Not like the current situation where I have to hope Erik doesn't do something. It's not a smart way to conduct operations.

I've also called off the overland movement from Tennant Creek towards Darwin, recalling all the unrestricted combat units which are substantial. These units are needed to reinforce northeast Australia, New Guinea and to conduct further offensive operations. With the exception of Australian 4th Division, I am only sending restricted units to march overland to Darwin. It's all these little things that are killing me. Just not a good use of the assets at hand and really allowing for no flexibility in operations. I've resigned myself to not rush as previously mentioned. It's going to take 3-4 weeks to get everything sorted out.

Sucks, but there it is.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 118
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/5/2016 4:34:29 PM   
Mike McCreery

Many of the carrier reinforcements that arrive in game have double the number of aircraft they can field. Usually 28 fighters plus 28 dive bombers on a deck that can only field 28. You need to ferry the ones you dont want to use off.

It appears your predecessor did not bother doing this.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 119
RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obve... - 5/5/2016 4:36:53 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

I need to understand replenishment groups on CVE's. I really don't know how they work. Looking over a number of them I was confused as to how they had been set up. For example, most of the CVE's have a capacity for 28 aircraft, but I'm finding a large number that have 56 aircraft aboard. The composition is usually 28 fighters and 28 dive or torpedo bombers, with the fighters set to CAP. Wouldn't the 56 aircraft, double the capacity, prevent or severely penalize the fighter CAP?

IIRC, for CVE's to act as normal carriers you need to pull those extra planes off.

If you want them to act as replenishment platforms for your CV's you can keep the extra planes on. If your CV/CVLs are in range they will automatically fly aircraft off to replace losses (provided they're the same airframe of course).

I'll see if I can dig up the thread on how to use them. I think there's special code around the VR squadrons.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI