Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mega Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mega Campaign - 5/4/2001 2:48:00 AM   
coach3play4

Would someone please give a mini review of the mega campaign - I enjoy SPWAW, and I'm tempted to pay the 25 just to support these guys, but I just dont see what I'd be getting over the free 5.0 and other campaigns currently available. is the Africa campaign that much better than the free ones?

Post #: 1
- 5/4/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... The Mega Campaign is a different kind of game than the free campaigns. You are assigned a core force. You do not choose it. You do not pick support forces before each battle. You may be assigned support forces and in some cases, you may be offered more. But, you cannot hand pick support forces. You do not have the option to upgrade or trade units in Mega Campaign. Your forces may be upgraded, but upgrading from Pz IIIe to Pz IIIh is not a decision that you, as battalion commander, can make. That will come from Corps or above. The campaign has more screens than a normal campaign. These screens display your medals, campaign maps, articles and offer information about the battle to take place and offer choices for you to make, which affect the scenario you will be playing. So, if you choose to wait until dark to attack, the visibility will be reduced or if you choose to wait until a supporting company of tanks arrives, the enemy may have been reinforced.
quote:

Originally posted by oleary111: Would someone please give a mini review of the mega campaign - I enjoy SPWAW, and I'm tempted to pay the 25 just to support these guys, but I just don't see what I'd be getting over the free 5.0 and other campaigns currently available. is the Africa campaign that much better than the free ones?
You may be awarded medals and campaign ribbons, which does not happen in a normal campaign. There are screens with text articles and photographs. There are also maps. At the very least, you get a map of the region, such as North Africa, and a map of the battle area with all the locations that you might end up fighting over. This latter map has little flags on it. The flags show who controls that location. As you fight battles, if you win, these little flags become the ones for your army and if you loose, they become enemy flags. You may be given choices as to where to attack, which would allow you to head towards your final objectives by different routes. In a typical Mega Campaign, you will fight 35 to 50 battles, about the same as a long WW II random campaign. However, the time span is typically in months, not years. This makes for a very intense campaign. You will fight in every almost skirmish that took place during the campaign in the real war. And, Mega Campaigns can link to later Mega Campaigns. So, you get to keep your core force, medals, campaign points and the like. Try one. I think you will like it. Michael Wood

(in reply to coach3play4)
Post #: 2
- 5/4/2001 4:21:00 AM   
BlitzSS

I've been ready...

"Nuts"

Post #: 3
- 5/4/2001 7:05:00 AM   
Charles2222

Hmmmmmmmm. I wasn't aware that the force you're assigned would/could be used in another MC. So, let's assume the next campaign were 6/41-12/41 on the Eastern Front for example. Would the forces assigned there, be the same size as the one for the current MC? Or if not that, that the current MC force would comprise 'part' of that force. I suppose if that were true, let's just say remnants of the 7th Panzer Division, that the program would have to be outfitted with instructions to have people replace a basic 7th Panzer, which would have to be basic for those who bought no other MCs, with the experienced 7th Panzer that had been used elsewhere in other MCs.

Post #: 4
- 5/4/2001 7:10:00 AM   
Charles2222

Excuse me, I ended up committing one the most grevious sins of BBs, and that was the double-posty blues. My connection whacked out into a delay so I cancelled the transmission. Apparently it was still enough to get across. [ May 03, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

Post #: 5
- 5/4/2001 7:26:00 AM   
Rommel22

Hi, Ok, will the MC cover North Africa only or will it cover other parts of the war. It seems like it's only N.Africa. It sounds interesting I might order the Mega Campaign too. I really enjoye those Campaigns which your forces get transfered battle to battle. Really give you the feeling of being a commander and thus forcing you to watch for your troops.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern !" (Boot'em, don´t spatter'em)- Heinz Guderian Rommel22's Kampfgruppe: www.rommel22skg.freeservers.com

Post #: 6
- 5/4/2001 8:21:00 AM   
Phil

I realize that Mr. Wood is a programmer for the Mega Campaign, but I'd like to add a little to what he said as someone who played the MC. True you don't choose your forces, If I remember right, you have pretty much the same group of units throughout the Campaign, but there are several options available to you. In the Huskey Campaign, didn't you have a few options available to you before the landings? Couldn't you choose where you wanted to land? (I think different parts of the beaches where described and you then made plans where to hit). There was also an option of landing with a "commando" squad to knock out something or another...I thought that little scenario was just awesome! Get This! You had about 8 or so 1 or 2 man "teams", I think a machinegun and bazooka. You then proceded to land at a pier and start taking out sentries and other small Italian units. Man, things got interesting when those armoured cars showed up! I seem to remember if you pulled it off, the landings would go alot smoother. And even though you didn't choose your support units, you could chose what kind of support you wanted. There was the option of either more naval support, or a having an extra platoon of engineers in the landings. And Intelligiance Reports!!! At the cost of some ending points, you could get some detailed intelligiance reports of the enemy's postitions and strengths. Somtimes you were notified of any enemy activety to expect on your flanks. You see, the MC is more than just a collection of random scenarios put together. The survival of you "core" force is imperative because sometimes you were not allowed to refit following the battle. You might be carrying pretty much all your loses with you into the following battle. (There was a reinforcement or two). The articles and pictures that are displayed become very pertinent to the success of the campaign. And since you can't just upgrade after every battle, you really get a feel for what is going on. Really, if there are still those of you who are undecided about getting the MC, if you can cough up $25, you owe it to yourself. Especially if this one is going to be better than the ones that were published a few years ago. Now with all that said................... GET ON THOSE CD-MAKER PEOPLE'S BUTTS AND GET THOSE CD'S IN THE MAIL!!!!!!! I've just got myself all excited by typing all this. Later

Phil

Post #: 7
- 5/4/2001 1:12:00 PM   
Wild Bill

It was my task to use the MC editor provided by Michael Wood to design and coordinate the Mega Campaign for North Africa - 1941. I only wanted to add that you will have illuminating articles, interesting pictures and some great battles with options for each battle. You could fight as many as 40 or as few as 25. The more battles you win, the more points (and medals)you get, and the more battles you get to fight. And you'll find many unusual types of battles, far beyond the standard meeting engagment or attack-defend. Oleary, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the investment. There are a total of 132 scenarios in the Mega Campaign so it does have replay value. It will be a great wargaming experience for you. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 8
- 5/4/2001 5:26:00 PM   
Gruvan

quote:

Originally posted by Phil: GET ON THOSE CD-MAKER PEOPLE'S BUTTS AND GET THOSE CD'S IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!
Just asking the same question with european point of view. When wil this CD will be in France, before I get mad looking evry where ? :eek: An other question, it seems MC wil be an African campaign. Hope there are other project, more special ones I would like, Yougoslavia, South France landing, Belgium campaign in 1940 and so on. :p

Back from the Future ;)

Post #: 9
- 5/4/2001 5:46:00 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello... We have three linking Mega Campaigns for North Africa planned. We also have some other Mega Campaigns, that have not been made public, in mind. Bye... Michael Wood

Post #: 10
- 5/4/2001 11:07:00 PM   
coach3play4

[ Oleary, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the investment. There are a total of 132 scenarios in the Mega Campaign so it does have replay value. It will be a great wargaming experience for you. Wild Bill[/QB][/QUOTE] OK - ordered today - anyway its time i supported Matrix activities, looking foward to the new versions of Pac war etc.

Post #: 11
- 5/5/2001 12:02:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Well Oleary, I see you are in Roswell and I live in Smyrna. Small world, isn't it? Drop me an e-mail sometime. Maybe we can get together for lunch sometime. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 12
- 5/5/2001 12:08:00 AM   
GeneralOberst Teufel

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Wood: Hello... We have three linking Mega Campaigns for North Africa planned. We also have some other Mega Campaigns, that have not been made public, in mind. Bye... Michael Wood
Pacific Theater MC, ya love them Leathernecks GeneralOberst Teufel

Post #: 13
- 5/5/2001 6:02:00 AM   
Cirrus

So in MC you don't get to pick core forces. I'd like to know if there is anyway to edit/hack/add/something savegames so that I could have my precious finnish volunteer squad with Suomi SMGs with me :) Damn I love those "SAATANA" and "PERKELE" shooting sounds :cool: :p ;) :D

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

Post #: 14
- 5/5/2001 7:45:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Now you know I would not let the Pacific slip by in the Mega Campaign format. I'm working on the idea even now in my mind. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI