Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Call to try long duration scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Call to try long duration scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 12:03:59 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSInchon

That resupply script command works great, just remember to make it not automatically detectable. As I am embarking on creating a 21 day mission, is there a way to change the homebase via a script or trigger?

Do you mean change where a unit is hosted?
ok=ScenEdit_HostUnitToParent({HostedUnitNameOrID=unit.guid,SelectedHostNameOrID=newbase.guid});

Michael

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 61
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 12:34:17 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

IMHO, long scenarios don't have to have hundreds of units. While interesting (and nothing against the great NF12 scenario), all that really does from my own perspective is probably slow down the program, and cause long term memory issues (hitting the 32-bit limit).
A long duration game with fewer units, like the convoys across the Atlantic (very much like that in the NF12 scenario) with a limited play field between continental US and Europe/Med, could still be manageable and exercise this new functionality.

I don't disagree. I think NF12 is a splendid example of scenario creep 'Honest officer I just couldn't stop!'. Although keeping a player's interest up will be a challenge with fewer units, its probably do-able.

B

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 62
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 12:46:50 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

IMHO, long scenarios don't have to have hundreds of units. While interesting (and nothing against the great NF12 scenario), all that really does from my own perspective is probably slow down the program, and cause long term memory issues (hitting the 32-bit limit).
A long duration game with fewer units, like the convoys across the Atlantic (very much like that in the NF12 scenario) with a limited play field between continental US and Europe/Med, could still be manageable and exercise this new functionality.

I don't disagree. I think NF12 is a splendid example of scenario creep 'Honest officer I just couldn't stop!'. Although keeping a player's interest up will be a challenge with fewer units, its probably do-able.

B

Yea, it is like my programming at work. If I had my way, I wouldn't release anything "but it just needs a little bit more tweaking boss!! Just thought of another must have feature to add ... Design documents are just really guidelines ..."

< Message edited by michaelm -- 5/24/2016 12:49:40 PM >

Michael

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 63
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 1:53:30 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

B

Please do push limits and try stuff. Some of these obstacles may not be big deals but we need to know what they are to address them. As an example D is looking to address the 32 bit thing. Just so you know our programmers are D, Rag and Baloogan.

Thanks!

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 5/24/2016 1:59:18 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 64
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 8:46:31 PM   
ComDev

Fixed B826, thanks!

quote:

ORIGINAL: zclark

Attached is a scenario I built to test facility damage behavior. Once all targets were heavily damaged or destroyed, I deleted BLUFOR forces to speed up time acceleration. I also included a snapshot a month after the initial strikes took place to show what facilities remain. It doesn't look like any of them made any progress repairing themselves during the month the scenario ran.

I look forward to your feedback.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 65
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/26/2016 1:42:37 PM   
USSInchon

quote:

quote:

That resupply script command works great, just remember to make it not automatically detectable. As I am embarking on creating a 21 day mission, is there a way to change the homebase via a script or trigger?

Do you mean change where a unit is hosted?
ok=ScenEdit_HostUnitToParent({HostedUnitNameOrID=unit.guid,SelectedHostNameOrID=newbase.guid});

Not quite, it just teleports units to other bases. What I was looking for was a way to change/assign a new base/port to a unit that is underway. As a work-around to the lack of ferry missions for ships.

edit=I figured it out. Once the vessel is near the new port use this line: ok=ScenEdit_SetUnit({side='sidename', name='unitname', RTB})

< Message edited by USSInchon -- 5/26/2016 1:57:21 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/26/2016 3:13:17 PM   
cf_dallas

Does that return the ship to the nearby available base, or to it's already-assigned base?

Formerly cwemyss

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 67
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/26/2016 3:37:49 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: cf_dallas

Does that return the ship to the nearby available base, or to it's already-assigned base?

It should return to its assigned base.

Michael

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 68
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/26/2016 5:16:08 PM   
cf_dallas

Is there a script that changes base assignment? I looked in the SetUnit documentation, that wasn't one of the attributes listed. I may have missed it though, and I haven't been able to try it in-game.

Formerly cwemyss

Post #: 69
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/26/2016 11:41:24 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have a mission that simulates a deployment to a FOL. However, the only way I was able to simulate the delivery and resupply of munitions was to teleport the ammo dump to the base from another location. As for a longer duration mission, I have a few that I am working on that are going on 4-7 days. In building these longer missions, I feel sometimes it is difficult to find things to keep the player interested between major events. It may be my ADHD that is getting the best of me though.

In the real world, there's a lot of "things to keep the player interested between major events" for any mission.

War is a lot of high spikes of activity with a lot of muddling around with the details of planning, maneuver, supply, and repair / retrofit / deploy new equipment to get to those high spikes in activity.

You can read it into the US History of WWII, with the biggest issue being able to establish a supply dump in the United Kingdom for a sword thrust into Hitler's vulnerable Atlantic belly punctuated with actions in Africa, Sicily, and Italy which essentially served as training missions for the big event on D-Day.

Then, following the landings, the issue became maintaining some advancement of troops to secure a base of operations in France that provided fuel, combat supply, and reinforcements for the thrust toward Hitler's center of gravity in "the Homeland."

History likes to relate the events as battles, but really, there is a significant amount of preparation and construction of infrastructure necessary to support those battles.

Longer duration scenarios are interesting, but only if sustainment issues are highlighted as the basis for maintaining that duration between the spikes in conflict.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 70
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 3:10:30 AM   
mikmykWS

OK first round of testing was done last week. Submitted a couple issues to D on port behaviors and groups.

This week working another another test. Goals with existing features in the game

1)All high level SAM's have been grouped with a ammo unit they can reload from. We know this happens way to fast (need to look at distance vs. reload time one day) but err'd on the side of giving us something (reloads!).
2)AI flex.. Using lua to add and drop missions to model advance and retreat type logic. Battle isn't always about numbers but there are a number of ways to use code to evaluate certain things.
3)Port Value. Once a ports ability to support units is destroyed they should use one that can. This might mean no patrol areas etc.
4)Variability. This scenario needs to last and be replayable. Need to look at ways at changing the game each play. Lots of lua tools for that.
5)Forcing the player to think long by adding depth.

Mike

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 71
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 4:55:22 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

Is there a script that changes base assignment? I looked in the SetUnit documentation, that wasn't one of the attributes listed. I may have missed it though, and I haven't been able to try it in-game.

I don't believe that the 'assigned base' is exposed currently.

Michael

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 72
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 12:10:58 PM   
USSInchon

quote:

quote:

That LUA works if the ship hasn't been assigned to a base yet. It may be a combination of this one and the one michaelm posted earlier to get a ship to simulate docking.

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 73
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 1:15:55 PM   
cf_dallas

quote:

quote:

I don't believe that the 'assigned base' is exposed currently.

I tried it for a little while last night. Guessing and hope are NOT a great solution. :-)

"Base=".... Nope
"AssignedBase=".... Nope
Etc etc etc

Formerly cwemyss

Post #: 74
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 1:59:37 PM   
mikmykWS

Added this to our lua request list

Mike

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 75
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/27/2016 2:26:49 PM   
USSInchon

quote:

Added this to our lua request list

awesome, thanks. I think this will work great, especially with AI ship movements, air intercepts and diversions.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Call to try long duration scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI