Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do You Take Riga in the First Turn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/20/2016 11:03:59 AM   
bin618

Do you take Riga in the first turn? How? Use panzer and motorized divisions? Is it kind of waste of tanks and motorized vehicles? How do you use the panzer and motorized divisions? To Spoil and entrap soviet units or to use them directly in combats? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/20/2016 7:53:32 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Yes, I take it. You need to prioritize first the infantry of AGN to clear a path to Riga, so that the PZ's are able to reach the hex next to Riga that isn't swamp. There is a path to get there without crossing a minor river too.

Once established I bomb the units in the city.

Once that is set up, I send 2 PZ divs and 1 mot div to the hex next to Riga and hasty attack. It usually falls. Then you can occupy the city and cross the major river there.

(in reply to bin618)
Post #: 2
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/21/2016 2:43:45 PM   
Telemecus

I used too, but against the AI now I never do. You can get your panzers to Cesis and Madona on turn 1 which means Talinn and the gulf of Finland near Narva on turn 2. Unlike Riga you can ship infantry straight away to Talinn which means by turn 3 they are at Narva a dozen hexes from Leningrad.

Leaving Riga completely isolated will mean the AI abandons it straight away, and if it did not it would have only NKVD to defend it. Riga is not like Sevastopol or Odessa.

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 3
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/21/2016 4:10:12 PM   
bin618

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

Yes, I take it. You need to prioritize first the infantry of AGN to clear a path to Riga, so that the PZ's are able to reach the hex next to Riga that isn't swamp. There is a path to get there without crossing a minor river too.

Once established I bomb the units in the city.

Once that is set up, I send 2 PZ divs and 1 mot div to the hex next to Riga and hasty attack. It usually falls. Then you can occupy the city and cross the major river there.

Thank you NotOneStepBack. But don't you bomb the airports in this turn? I always use all my bombing planes to bomb the airports, so I have no planes to bomb the units in Riga. Does it really help much to bomb these units?

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 4
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/21/2016 6:57:36 PM   
NotOneStepBack

I do bomb airbases, but I usually save one airbase for Riga. It's not essential, just adds disruption before the attack.

(in reply to bin618)
Post #: 5
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/22/2016 9:48:06 AM   
bin618

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I used too, but against the AI now I never do. You can get your panzers to Cesis and Madona on turn 1 which means Talinn and the gulf of Finland near Narva on turn 2. Unlike Riga you can ship infantry straight away to Talinn which means by turn 3 they are at Narva a dozen hexes from Leningrad.

Leaving Riga completely isolated will mean the AI abandons it straight away, and if it did not it would have only NKVD to defend it. Riga is not like Sevastopol or Odessa.

It seems that some of my panzer and motorized divisions can push to Cesis and Madona after I take Riga in this turn.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 6
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/23/2016 2:01:15 PM   
Telemecus

I usually get 6 panzer/motorised accross the Dvina. The Cesis/Madona pair get to the Gulf of Finland on turn 2, one to cross between Lake Peipus and Lake Pskow, and the remaining 3 to encircle Pskow to its East. If I had another I would now still rather send it as far North or East than waste a single movement point this turn when Riga will be taken next anyway.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 5/23/2016 2:04:14 PM >

(in reply to bin618)
Post #: 7
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/25/2016 2:45:26 PM   
bin618

quote:

I usually get 6 panzer/motorised accross the Dvina. The Cesis/Madona pair get to the Gulf of Finland on turn 2, one to cross between Lake Peipus and Lake Pskow, and the remaining 3 to encircle Pskow to its East. If I had another I would now still rather send it as far North or East than waste a single movement point this turn when Riga will be taken next anyway.

I'll try your strategy next time.Thanks.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 8
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/25/2016 3:01:45 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

This can work only vs AI.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 9
RE: Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? - 5/26/2016 9:43:30 PM   
RoflCopter4

I tend to do as few attacks as I possibly can against the AI on the first turn. It makes much more sense to me to do the bare minimum to open up pathways for the panzers to encircle as much as possible. The AI is too stupid to break out of pockets that early, and it abandons Riga anyway. I just ignore it, get a bridgehead over the Dvina, and go straight for Pskov.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Do You Take Riga in the First Turn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI