Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Detail Stats

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Combat Detail Stats Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Detail Stats - 8/2/2016 5:00:45 AM   
GaryChildress

OK. So I'm trying to create a modern warfare mod and I need to create a bunch of unit types from scratch. I'm trying to figure out what all the stats in the "combat detail stats" list mean. Does anyone know what the following mean and how the numbers in those fields translate into advantage or disadvantage versus other units?

1. Power (offensive)
2. Power (Defensive)
3. Artillery Power
4. Hit points (offensive)
5. Hit points (defensive)

So for example suppose a unit with 100 offensive hit points attacks a unit with 1000 defensive hit points. Would someone be able to explain what happens and why?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Combat Detail Stats - 8/9/2016 7:40:30 AM   
Ormand

This link ostensibly explains how combat is resolved. As well as pages 53-57 of the AT WWII manual. It is fairly involved, although perhaps conceptually simple. The complexity comes from all the potential modifiers. However, if I understand it, it works like this (without modifications).

Essentially, there is a loop over all attacking units. Each attacking unit gets to make an attack on the defenders. The order for the attackers is determined by each unit's initiative statistic. The choice of defending unit is randomly selected, but weighted by the attacking unit's favorite to attack. This is determined by the number of tries the attacker gets to find its favorite. If the number of tires is 1, then it is totally random. I imagine that if the number of tires is, say, five, then it will get five tries to have the attacked unit be its favorite. Then, the attackers Power(offense) is paired up with the defenders Hit points(defensive). A random number is thrown for the attacker and defender that ranges from 0 to Power, for attacker, and 0 to Hit points for the defender. If the attacker's random number is greater, a hit is scored. Then, there is a probability that the hit is a kill or retreat. This is on the Statistics 2 page of the SFT in the editor. For example, for A Newdawn, infantry have a 25% for kill and 25% for retreat for the attacked individual. Otherwise it is a pinned hit. So, the hit points determine the resiliency of the defender. If you look at the events for tank models, increased armor over speed increases the number of hit points for a tank.

The defending units get a chance to counter attack. This counter attack is limited if the attacking SFT has already suffered more attacks than its Max Attacked stat or if the defender has suffered more attacks than its Max Attacked stat. Here the roles are reversed, and the defender uses the Power(defensive) and the attacker uses Hit points(offensive) to determine the outcome.

If a defending unit has been attacked more than its Max Attacked, the attack suffers a penalty of -50% to its Power.

Several things, like readiness, supply, entrenchment, and some terrains, like rivers, impact these quantities. Hence it can be useful to use artillery to reduce readiness.

After the each attacking unit has attacked, the process starts over until each attacking unit has exhausted its allowed number of attacks, namely the Max Attacked stat.

Then a bunch of other calculations occur to determine if the defender retreats, and the amount of readiness lost, etc.

Note that for say an infantry attack on infantry, the infantry has a Power of 13 and Hit points of 100. Thus, an attacker has roughly 13% chance to score a hit. On the other hand, an infantry gun has a Power of 100, so it has more like a 50% chance to score a hit. A medium tank has Power of 150 so it is highly likely to score a hit. As for Max Attacked, rifle = 5, infantry gun = 10, and medium tank = 20.

This is a somewhat simplified version of the actual rounds, but more or less covers it.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat Detail Stats - 8/9/2016 3:29:00 PM   
Ormand

I forgot the link http://www.vrdesigns.net/atwiki/doku.php?id=combat_calculations

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat Detail Stats - 8/9/2016 3:46:10 PM   
Ormand

Oops, I got it slightly wrong. The number of attacks a unit gets is not governed by Max Attack stat, but Attacks stat. infantry=1, infantry gun = 2, tanks =10.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat Detail Stats - 8/10/2016 3:11:26 AM   
GaryChildress

Many thanks, Ormand! That helps me a lot. Thanks for the link also.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Combat Detail Stats Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI