Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

With all due respect...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> With all due respect... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 4:09:15 AM   
robarrieta

This game may be fun but if you really want the ultimate in tactical WW2 combat, you can't beat ASL, plain and simple. It is super easy to find opponents now and play live over the Internet. Go to vasl.info and vassal.org to download the modules. I've played LOTS of PC and board games and nothing beats the rewarding play and richness of ASL. Sorry guys, but if you play only TotH, you're missing out.
Post #: 1
RE: With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 7:02:44 AM   
JiminyJickers

I can't play VASL offline single player. So TOTH is great for me.

(in reply to robarrieta)
Post #: 2
RE: With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 4:55:46 PM   
GJK

Rob, I would venture to say that people that play only TOTH for their ASL-fix are a) people not interested in learning how to play ASL (i.e., reading the ASLrb) and/or b) are people that only like to play solitaire games on the computer with an AI and/or c) don't own any ASL and don't care to and/or d) wouldn't know where to begin or how to actually play ASL with someone else and/or a combination of all these. I will say though that *nothing* beats playing ASL in person with somebody else (IMO).

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 3
RE: With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 5:34:53 PM   
rico21

e) and those which have no panzerfaust

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 4
RE: With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 7:53:06 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

e) and those which have no panzerfaust

Or already fired one!!!

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 5
RE: With all due respect... - 8/12/2016 7:56:26 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: robarrieta

This game may be fun but if you really want the ultimate in tactical WW2 combat, you can't beat ASL, plain and simple. It is super easy to find opponents now and play live over the Internet. Go to vasl.info and vassal.org to download the modules. I've played LOTS of PC and board games and nothing beats the rewarding play and richness of ASL. Sorry guys, but if you play only TotH, you're missing out.

The purpose of my project was NOT to replace anything...all I'm doing is adding favour.

(in reply to robarrieta)
Post #: 6
RE: With all due respect... - 8/13/2016 6:01:24 PM   
kevinkins

With the aid of the internet and low cost printing/graphics, there has been a resurgence of board and miniatures gaming that can't be overlooked. This includes porting board games over to the smart phones. That being said, it's great that war gamers have so many options that fit their life style and military paradigm. Trashing one style over the another is like telling your date "man I like my steak, why did you order the nasty fish?". Might be better to discuss what you have in common.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 7
RE: With all due respect... - 8/14/2016 5:04:13 PM   
fuselex

I can understand the VASL system , but what I personally am after , is turn on the computer , load a scenario and enjoy the game .
Within 30 seconds ,I`m potentially getting my butt kicked :).

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 8
RE: With all due respect... - 8/14/2016 8:31:20 PM   
jwarrenw13

Two things.

1. Many people, me included, simply don't want to play against other humans on line. That is just a personal preference. I know some people who play on line don't get that, but there is no best way to game except what is best for each individual. I get tired of people telling me I don't know what is best for me.

2. Time management. I played many, many hours of SL and ASL over the years. I had nearly the entire ASL set. I sold it off after my daughter was born. Now I no longer have the time or inclination to set up board games to play against myself. I do have time to fire up a computer game and play it against myself, for whatever amount of time I want to play, and then just save it and exit. Again, that is best for me.

< Message edited by JW -- 8/14/2016 8:32:52 PM >

(in reply to fuselex)
Post #: 9
RE: With all due respect... - 8/16/2016 3:34:32 AM   
genesismwt

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

Two things.

1. Many people, me included, simply don't want to play against other humans on line. That is just a personal preference. I know some people who play on line don't get that, but there is no best way to game except what is best for each individual. I get tired of people telling me I don't know what is best for me.

2. Time management. I played many, many hours of SL and ASL over the years. I had nearly the entire ASL set. I sold it off after my daughter was born. Now I no longer have the time or inclination to set up board games to play against myself. I do have time to fire up a computer game and play it against myself, for whatever amount of time I want to play, and then just save it and exit. Again, that is best for me.

Ditto

The game is afoot!

Mike

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 10
RE: With all due respect... - 8/16/2016 2:33:22 PM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: genesismwt

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

Two things.

Ditto

Well said.

Richard

(in reply to genesismwt)
Post #: 11
RE: With all due respect... - 9/14/2016 7:27:08 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: robarrieta

With all due respect, no one will ever miss something he is stunningly uninterested in. When I play on the tabletop I either run RPGs (a passion of mine since I was a kid, with Dungeons & Dragons and Call of Cthulhu leading the pack), play a board/card game like Arkham Horror, Twilight Struggle or the recently discovered Lord of the Rings: the Living Card Game, or - for my wargaming fix, either the OCS series or some good naval miniatures game (like Seekrieg V). Now that I have the needed space in my new house, my brain matter will be overheated by World in Flames.

I actually have the first three ASL Starter Kits, and "sage advice" of the kind of "With only the SKs you are missing out the real experience!!!!11" almost turned me off the game. To be honest, right now they are sitting on the shelf. To be even more honest the "Yes, but we are playing ASL!" whole attitude will keep them there for the time being. Simply put, it is an attitude I disagree with.

Oh, I almost forgot: to me, the ultimate in tactical combat is Frank Chadwich's "Command Decision". You don't know what you are missing out.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to robarrieta)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> With all due respect... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI