Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 2 News?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 10/30/2019 6:53:54 PM   
Demonius

Erik and Data, at the Matrixgames Forums.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 391
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 10/31/2019 12:00:13 AM   
StarLab

Seeing Erik and Data in the same forum page - just like old times. (#Nostalgia)

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 392
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 10/31/2019 1:30:07 AM   
Cauldyth

Hmm, is that a hint that The Great Unveiling is not so far off now?

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 393
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 10/31/2019 2:52:44 AM   
Retreat1970

Don't get your hopes up yet my friends. We have no idea what the game is. It could be very different than DW:U.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 394
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/2/2019 2:16:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 395
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/2/2019 3:48:01 PM   
Retreat1970

Says the man who hasn't said anything. DW2 could be Hello Kitty in space for all we know.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 396
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/2/2019 7:48:07 PM   
Bleek

Stop teasing.

As a date once said, "my loins ache for some good news."

Post #: 397
Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/3/2019 12:35:38 AM   
rjord2021

Considering that Distant Worlds #1 came out 9 years ago and is still better than another game that was updated just last week, keep in mind that the developer of Distant Worlds #2 has to try and beat a game that is still popular and being played 9 years later.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 398
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/3/2019 9:08:27 AM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Considering that Distant Worlds #1 came out 9 years ago and is still better than another game that was updated just last week, keep in mind that the developer of Distant Worlds #2 has to try and beat a game that is still popular and being played 9 years later.

Honestly, I'd be happy with DW:U on a modern engine and UI.

Anything that gets improved is a bonus.

*and by modern, I don't necessarily mean 3D. Because 2D art can be beautiful, especially in a strategic game.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 399
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/3/2019 1:46:47 PM   
Darknote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Honestly, I'd be happy with DW:U on a modern engine and UI.

Anything that gets improved is a bonus.

*and by modern, I don't necessarily mean 3D. Because 2D art can be beautiful, especially in a strategic game.

I'd be happy with a game like that as well. Maybe a bit more fleshed out diplomacy, and perhaps a few more starting options and maybe even a game-mode without shields and..... Ok I'm going to stop :D

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 400
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/3/2019 5:45:25 PM   
rjord2021

One thing I really hope is in DW2 is the ability to create the map but then have the ability to change the mod using that map after so you can or change races or graphics etc.

In DW1 once you create the map you can't edit anything... which is a limitation.

(in reply to Darknote)
Post #: 401
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/4/2019 5:29:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, I can't say much yet but let me say this. Elliot and I took the benefit of our experience with DW1 started over with an entirely new engine with DW2 to build a better Distant Worlds, not some completely different game. The original Distant Worlds, which was in many ways less ambitious, still took more than five years of development, design, art and testing to create. Our ultimate goal is to deliver a better and bigger Distant Worlds for everyone. I can't speak about timelines or schedules unfortunately, but I will pull back the curtain as soon as I can.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 11/4/2019 5:31:54 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 402
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/4/2019 5:33:45 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Elliot and I took the benefit of our experience with DW1 started over with an entirely new engine with DW2 to build a better Distant Worlds, not some completely different game.

Excellent!!

Post #: 403
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/4/2019 6:24:01 PM   
Bleek

quote:

Ok, I can't say much yet but let me say this. Elliot and I took the benefit of our experience with DW1 started over with an entirely new engine with DW2 to build a better Distant Worlds, not some completely different game. The original Distant Worlds, which was in many ways less ambitious, still took more than five years of development, design, art and testing to create. Our ultimate goal is to deliver a better and bigger Distant Worlds for everyone. I can't speak about timelines or schedules unfortunately, but I will pull back the curtain as soon as I can.

Regards,

- Erik

Oh you are such a tease Erik!

Any chance of a paid alpha or early access? I'd be happy to pay to help test under NDA. That's how much faith I (and I'm sure many others) have in the original and what you will undoubtedly do with 2.

Post #: 404
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/4/2019 8:36:14 PM   
Retreat1970

We are all passionate about your games but we need something to buzz about.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 405
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/4/2019 9:28:48 PM   
Webbco

Yep, please give us something to talk about while we wait for another 1/2 decade...

Post #: 406
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/5/2019 12:05:57 AM   
rjord2021

It was great news from Erik about DW2. A new engine sounds like DW2 is going to be huge.

Keep in mind that this is not updating what was there in DW1. A new engine means a new rewrite which will take time. U til then I am happy to keep on with what I am doing with DW1.

Post #: 407
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/5/2019 3:41:20 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

This is fantastic news, Erik! Plenty to get me buzzing and keep me buzzing for a while!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 408
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/5/2019 6:17:38 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

This is fantastic news, Erik! Plenty to get me buzzing and keep me buzzing for a while!

Don't say that, tell him you need more. MORE!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 409
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/5/2019 10:54:04 PM   
Webbco

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ask this with respect but purely out of interest, what is the "plenty" that will keep you buzzing for a while? I'm not sure there is anything in Erik's comment that was not already known or presumed about DW2...

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 410
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/5/2019 11:30:12 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: OJsDad

Good thing Stellaris is a great game.

Well...

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 411
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 1:47:11 AM   
Retreat1970

Stellaris is a great game. To him. To me. But it's all relative I suppose.

quote:

what is the "plenty" that will keep you buzzing for a while?

I've lost interest in DWU awhile ago and sadly I've lost interest in DW2 as well.

I come here and lurk but it's a desert.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 412
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 10:38:12 AM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Stellaris is a great game. To him. To me. But it's all relative I suppose.

quote:

what is the "plenty" that will keep you buzzing for a while?

I've lost interest in DWU awhile ago and sadly I've lost interest in DW2 as well.

I come here and lurk but it's a desert.

While I agree that Stellaris is a great game, I lost interest in it a while back (around 2.0, to be precise).

With DWU, on the other hand, I have retained an interest in it, although I stopped playing it after I could no longer make it run on my computer, but I retain a strong interest in DW2.

Osito

Post #: 413
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 11:51:44 AM   
Bleek

Stellaris is a good game, I think the "Federations" DLC has a chance to make it great.

But DW:U still feels superior, more detailed and wars are so much more tactical (enjoyable). I think the way DW handles resources has a lot to do with this.

In DW you genuinely fight over resources and to control important areas of the galaxy. There's a reason for aggression or defence.

Stellaris feels more like, well... I need to expand because that's the game. So you end up painting the map. Also the move to hyperlanes only really hurt the experience for me.

You don't have to paint the map to succeed in DW, and I really like that.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 414
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 6:56:40 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco
I ask this with respect but purely out of interest, what is the "plenty" that will keep you buzzing for a while? I'm not sure there is anything in Erik's comment that was not already known or presumed about DW2...

For me, the "plenty" is the news that they are not trying to create a different game and call it DW2. They are rebuilding DW from the ground up. DW is already a great game and in my mind all it is lacking is better performance and better UI. These are things that usually don't happen with a second version of a game, as it's a completely new engine to run the game. I didn't want a DW2 that is "more like this game" or "more like that game". I wanted my DW, just updated, and I'm actually getting my DW, completely rebuilt. I'm very excited to hear that this is the path Elliot and Erik are taking.

< Message edited by USSAmerica -- 11/6/2019 6:57:11 PM >

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 415
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 7:00:47 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

For me, the "plenty" is the news that they are not trying to create a different game and call it DW2. They are rebuilding DW from the ground up. DW is already a great game and in my mind all it is lacking is better performance and better UI. These are things that usually don't happen with a second version of a game, as it's a completely new engine to run the game. I didn't want a DW2 that is "more like this game" or "more like that game". I wanted my DW, just updated, and I'm actually getting my DW, completely rebuilt. I'm very excited to hear that this is the path Elliot and Erik are taking.

Plus ONE....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 416
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 7:24:59 PM   
Retreat1970

Stellaris is great. DWU is great. Tic Tac Toe is great.

But this thread is about DW2 news.

...and we're starving.

I petition to end this thread and let the developers open one when there's something.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 417
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 7:32:59 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Stellaris is a good game, I think the "Federations" DLC has a chance to make it great.

But DW:U still feels superior, more detailed and wars are so much more tactical (enjoyable). I think the way DW handles resources has a lot to do with this.

In DW you genuinely fight over resources and to control important areas of the galaxy. There's a reason for aggression or defence.

Stellaris feels more like, well... I need to expand because that's the game. So you end up painting the map. Also the move to hyperlanes only really hurt the experience for me.

You don't have to paint the map to succeed in DW, and I really like that.

I have tried to like Stellaris but I just can't enjoy that game. It is to frustrating on fighting the minutia of micromanagement with little to no real decision making. The problem is the all to abstracted economy in that game. The AI in war is also allot less capable in my opinion which is a big Achilles heal for me personally.

I just keep coming back to Distant Worlds over and over and in my opinion are the best 4x sci-fi game together with Aurora 4x which also is great in its own right, but this is more of a role-playing game.

If DW2 is basically the same game as Distant Worlds Universe with some upgraded graphics engine and streamlined UI but the same complexity I would buy it instantly. Not to mention what 64bit system can do with how big the Universe can get... :=)

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 11/6/2019 7:35:14 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 418
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/6/2019 8:06:09 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Stellaris is great. DWU is great. Tic Tac Toe is great.

But this thread is about DW2 news.

...and we're starving.

I petition to end this thread and let the developers open one when there's something.

We need to keep this thread open or someone else will open a new thread in a month's time asking if there is any news. It is better to keep this one open so Erik only needs to update one thread with the news updates.

Erik mentioned it took more than five years of development, design, art, and testing to create DW1...... we don't know when they started work on DW2 but they are at least 4 and a half years into it assuming it takes 5 years. It could be more...it could be less but Erik assured us the curtain will be lifted as soon as it can be.

Post #: 419
RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? - 11/9/2019 10:00:00 PM   
Siddham

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear; they are not reinventing the wheel; they are improving it.

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 News? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI