Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Navy level bomber use

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> US Navy level bomber use Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Navy level bomber use - 9/1/2016 9:57:45 PM   
IdahoNYer

Was wondering what you all use your US Navy level bombers (PV-1 and PB4Y-1 specifically) for? I'm leaning towards just augmenting the US Army bomber forces rather than naval strike or search?

Thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/1/2016 10:46:01 PM   
AW1Steve

Maritime patrol. Use them as "land based PBY's".

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 2
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/1/2016 11:25:00 PM   
BBfanboy

Maritime patrol is what they were supposed to do, but with a bomb load approaching that of a B-17 the Ventura is certainly capable of being used in attacks against land targets. The big drawback (like the Wellingtons) is lack of defensive armament. Use them where there is no air opposition.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 1:14:57 AM   
wdolson

They were used as maritime patrol aircraft. In a lot of cases they were originally PBY units.

Playing against the AI, I don't need as much maritime patrol by the time these aircraft become available, so I use them for base attack. The PB4Y is a B-24 and can perform the same mission. The PV-1 can fly the same mission as the non-attack bomber version of the B-25, though it's more fragile, so expect more losses. I mostly use PV-1 for training. Train a patrol squadron up on PV-1, then switch them to PB4Y or PBY before deploying them. Not possible if you are playing with PDU off.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 3:48:52 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

They were used as maritime patrol aircraft. In a lot of cases they were originally PBY units.

Playing against the AI, I don't need as much maritime patrol by the time these aircraft become available, so I use them for base attack. The PB4Y is a B-24 and can perform the same mission. The PV-1 can fly the same mission as the non-attack bomber version of the B-25, though it's more fragile, so expect more losses. I mostly use PV-1 for training. Train a patrol squadron up on PV-1, then switch them to PB4Y or PBY before deploying them. Not possible if you are playing with PDU off.

Bill
I have no idea how the PB4Y is modeled in the game , but in real life a Navy Liberator is DEFINATELY NOT an ARMY one. When I was a stupid young P-3 "nugget" aircrewman in my teens , many of my senior NCO's were WW2 vets. Many an evening was spent by me mesmerized by "war stories" of some of these guys who as young men had flown these planes during and after the war. One thing that sticks in my mind is the descriptions of how via "field expedients" these planes were stripped of every possible pound of weight , to carry more AVGAS. Armor , Norden bomb sights (which is ironic as it was originally a Navy development contract) and even guns (frequently ball turrets) were pulled out , the planes loaded to them max with fuel (causing some horrific crashes) and sent on incredibly long patrols looking for "Sugars" or some times "Sugar tares" , small freighters. Not that they wouldn't go after anything else , if it had the courtesy to show itself (which was rare). They were looking for targets for themselves , and anything to big for them to go after , they'd vector in other fleet assets. Using EXTRA long range MPA's to bomb land targets makes about sense as using P-51's to deliver the mail. Could they do it? Sure! Was it a good use for it? No , not really. They were not trained in anything other than basic formation flying and trained for low level slashing attacks , not high altitude "city busting". In my opinion , they are the only 4 engine bomber that was regularly used for naval attack. In that they were VERY highly trained. They were also (and VP-squadrons still are) highly trained in airborne mining. But to use them as regular Army B-24's painted blue is not only improper but indeed almost "gamey". I mean that in the a-historical sense , NOT gaming the computer.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 6:13:02 AM   
crsutton

Regrettably in game terms I restrain from using them as naval attack aircraft. Due to their range and the way the game works they are just too vulnerable to CAP traps if you are playing a skilled Japanese opponent. Until I have them in numbers I almost use them exclusively for Naval search. Can't have too much of that. Then later in the war when I have plenty of aircraft and pilots, they are out bombing bases. The Venturas are good for suppressing atols and wearing them down prior to invasion. The PBYs I use the same way as I would Army Liberators. If I could use them for naval attack I would but they will just attack ships in an enemy base and get creamed by the CAP.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 6
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 7:57:27 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I have no idea how the PB4Y is modeled in the game , but in real life a Navy Liberator is DEFINATELY NOT an ARMY one. When I was a stupid young P-3 "nugget" aircrewman in my teens , many of my senior NCO's were WW2 vets. Many an evening was spent by me mesmerized by "war stories" of some of these guys who as young men had flown these planes during and after the war. One thing that sticks in my mind is the descriptions of how via "field expedients" these planes were stripped of every possible pound of weight , to carry more AVGAS. Armor , Norden bomb sights (which is ironic as it was originally a Navy development contract) and even guns (frequently ball turrets) were pulled out , the planes loaded to them max with fuel (causing some horrific crashes) and sent on incredibly long patrols looking for "Sugars" or some times "Sugar tares" , small freighters. Not that they wouldn't go after anything else , if it had the courtesy to show itself (which was rare). They were looking for targets for themselves , and anything to big for them to go after , they'd vector in other fleet assets. Using EXTRA long range MPA's to bomb land targets makes about sense as using P-51's to deliver the mail. Could they do it? Sure! Was it a good use for it? No , not really. They were not trained in anything other than basic formation flying and trained for low level slashing attacks , not high altitude "city busting". In my opinion , they are the only 4 engine bomber that was regularly used for naval attack. In that they were VERY highly trained. They were also (and VP-squadrons still are) highly trained in airborne mining. But to use them as regular Army B-24's painted blue is not only improper but indeed almost "gamey". I mean that in the a-historical sense , NOT gaming the computer.

The Privateer was a very different airplane, but the PB4Y-1 was not that different from the B-24. The ones modified from B-24Js had a different nose turret, but the first PB4Y-1s were even closer to the B-24 original B-24D. As the war went on the Navy did add more radar and such to the PB4Ys for the search mission.

The Army probably would have squawked at the Navy's larger bombers taking their land bombing role on any scale, but the PB4Y-1s could have been re-modified back to Army spec for land bombing. The Navy didn't get them for that role though. They were serious about making sure enemy subs were kept at bay. They were always concerned the Japanese were going to switch to German sub tactics.

The Navy did use PV-1s and PV-2s to attack Paramurshiro from Attu near the end of the war. The Army was also attacking the same targets with B-25s and B-24s, but they only had one squadron of each in theater at that time.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 3:40:32 PM   
jmalter

In the game, the PB4Y-2 Privateer becomes available on 7/44, its San Diego factory produces 22 planes/month. It's the replacement for the PB4Y-1 Liberator, and features better radar & defensive armament, but has a smaller bomb-load, slightly reduced range & a greatly reduced altitude ceiling.

If one is comfortable using the PB4Y-1 for land or city attack, I'd recommend preventing its San Diego factory (8 planes/month) from upgrading to the PB4Y-2. This factory will provide needed replacements, otherwise one's PB4Y-1 airgroups will lose effectiveness.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 4:28:19 PM   
bush

I am just starting to get PV1 squadrons, and was excited since the Army medium bombers do not have much depth. I wanted to use them as regular bombers. Now, I am not so sure, just in terms of gameiness or historical use. Same with the bigger PB4Ys. In a previous game I replaced many of the PVs with the 4E types.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 9
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 4:55:03 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: bushpsu

I am just starting to get PV1 squadrons, and was excited since the Army medium bombers do not have much depth. I wanted to use them as regular bombers. Now, I am not so sure, just in terms of gameiness or historical use. Same with the bigger PB4Ys. In a previous game I replaced many of the PVs with the 4E types.

Might I suggest using them for their intended use? You really don't have enough ULTRA long range patrol craft. They are in relatively small squadrons , and you might want to consider that in this game sweeping ALL of the enemies ships from the sea might just be more important that bombing yet another fly speck island. How about also using them for your mining campaign , freeing up Army heavy bombers for your bombing campaign? I have never encountered a player who gave naval search the importance it was due in real life. How many times was a battle impacted by a sighting report? How many time was a battle impacted by NOT sighting the enemy?

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 10
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 7:51:51 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Might I suggest using them for their intended use? You really don't have enough ULTRA long range patrol craft. They are in relatively small squadrons , and you might want to consider that in this game sweeping ALL of the enemies ships from the sea might just be more important that bombing yet another fly speck island. How about also using them for your mining campaign , freeing up Army heavy bombers for your bombing campaign? I have never encountered a player who gave naval search the importance it was due in real life. How many times was a battle impacted by a sighting report? How many time was a battle impacted by NOT sighting the enemy?

I might be your player. It was a long time before I started using B-17s to bomb anything each time I played. Never enough PBYs available for search. I might use the Privateers for recon but not likely. Recon planes get shot down an awful lot. Plus the PBYs, Venturas and Privateers can attack any subs or ships they encounter and that's no small value. I've even used Army B-24s and B-25s for naval search.

As the Japanese it's a little different. I use Jakes and Norms as much as possible. I don't like using Bettys and Nells after the very first few months because the IJN can't sustain casualties so they either do search or do torpedo training. I've even used Mavis and Emily for torpedo training. Any bombing that has to be done the Army has to do it. I have used IJA planes for search and ASW.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 8:04:48 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Regrettably in game terms I restrain from using them as naval attack aircraft. Due to their range and the way the game works they are just too vulnerable to CAP traps if you are playing a skilled Japanese opponent. Until I have them in numbers I almost use them exclusively for Naval search. Can't have too much of that. Then later in the war when I have plenty of aircraft and pilots, they are out bombing bases. The Venturas are good for suppressing atols and wearing them down prior to invasion. The PBYs I use the same way as I would Army Liberators. If I could use them for naval attack I would but they will just attack ships in an enemy base and get creamed by the CAP.

Some good discussion here - appreciated!

I'm leaning toward crsutton's view above. Don't think the game mechanic will work well using them as long range maritime strike - they WILL find the CAP trap. May try and use the PB4Y to augment the PBYs in search, but do have a concern on the 4 service rating and the need to use built up AFs. The counter side to that course is in early '43, the Allies can always use more heavy bombers - so the few squadrons can augment the B-24s in a bombing roll.

Think the PV-1's role will be similar to the B-25. Both naval strike and ground/base attack - in areas where I don't have the B-25s.

Of course, trying to decide these courses of action AFTER I start getting these planes is a bit late - not many naval pilots are currently trained much in ground attack...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 12
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 8:38:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

What about the developer advice that searches over 12 hexes distance are not very effective because of the width of the arc at that range? Seems useless to have a PB4Y with 25 + hex range and do fruitless long-range patrols. Long range recon is another matter.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 13
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/2/2016 8:54:48 PM   
geofflambert

That's why you have the ability to restrict their range and get more trips out of them.

edit: That lets you divide the squadron and put them in different places, too.

Second edit: I'm not sure I ever saw that advice, but I doubt it applies if you restrict their search arcs. If density of search is the problem, narrow the arc.

Third edit: If you narrow the arc, depending on the size of the squadron, you may get both an AM search and a PM search. Does anyone know if what I said in my last edit is true? Namely, if you have surplus planes will the coverage improve at a distances greater than 12 hexes?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/2/2016 9:05:14 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 2:46:15 AM   
spence

quote:

The Navy did use PV-1s and PV-2s to attack Paramurshiro from Attu near the end of the war. The Army was also attacking the same targets with B-25s and B-24s, but they only had one squadron of each in theater at that time.

So long as you consider "near the end of the war" as the capture of Attu in 1943. Check out the squadron histories of VP/VB/VPB 131, 135, 136, 139 on the VPNavy website. These are the units which performed the strikes. There are some interesting mission summaries which include little details like bomb loads, targets, and gas left over when returning to Attu. Also an interesting summary of how some crews fared when they had to land in Siberia (due damage) and how a Japanese doctor "took care" of the wounded during the battle of Attu (from his diary-think this is included in the VP/VPB/VB-139 history).

One caution for Allied Players though - PV-1/PV-2s don't have the (in game) range to fly from Attu to Paramushiro.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 15
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 3:13:13 AM   
sstevens06

Good discussion. Keep in mind there are 2 types of PB4Y-1 aircraft modeled in the game. The PB4Y-1 can carry up to 10 x 500lb SAP bombs, a radar, and has Normal Radius = 17 hexes, Extended = 21. PB4Y-1P seems to be a recon variant carrying only a camera with Normal Radius = 25, Extended = 31.

In the stock game PB4Y-1 flies with USN squadrons (e.g., VB-102), whereas PB4Y-1P seems to equip USMC squadrons (VMD-154, etc.). I use the shorter range PB4Y-1 for naval search, ASW, and occasional bombing; the longer-range PB4Y-1P is more valuable for recon and selective long range naval search.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 16
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 9:05:38 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

Playing against the AI, I don't need as much maritime patrol by the time these aircraft become available, so I use them for base attack. The PB4Y is a B-24 and can perform the same mission. The PV-1 can fly the same mission as the non-attack bomber version of the B-25, though it's more fragile, so expect more losses.

I play against Allied AI, and Ventura is one of the more resilient bombers somehow. They are not shy to fly unescorted into my couple-hundred-Zero CAP, actually drop the bombs, have minimal losses and shot down some of my fighters. I always wondered what gives, since airframe stats are nothing spectacular

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 12:59:04 PM   
spence

quote:

I always wondered what gives, since airframe stats are nothing spectacular

With a top speed of over 300 mph the PV-1 could outrun a lot of IJN/IJA fighters if they were not well pre-positioned to make an interception. In the Aleutians the PV-1s often flew beyond Paramushiro and made their bomb runs attacking from the SW to confuse the defense and take advantage of their relatively high speed.

It is interesting that the game does not give them the attributes of attack bombers since USN doctrine differed markedly from USAAF doctrine emphasizing low level attack as opposed to "high altitude precision bombing". By the latter half of 1943 PV-1s were being retro-fitted with a "chin pack" of 3 x .50cal MGs (replacing the bombardier) so that they could use a lot of firepower in low-level attacks. With the top turret aimed forward over the nose they had 7 x .50cals strafing. The PV-2 incorporated this "chin-pack" as standard equipment. The PV-2D (cancelled due to the end of the war) added 3 more .50 cals.

The PB4Y-2 was also modified to reflect the USNs preference for low level attacks. The ball turret was removed from the "standard" B24 as were the turbochargers on the engines: both important items for high altitude operations but unneeded at the low altitudes at which the USN operated. The planes often operated in pairs with one plane turning its bow, stern, side blister and top guns on the target to suppress flak while the other conducted its bombing attack.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 18
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 5:33:20 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Every betty and nell bomber that your opponent has is fully capable of launching a deadly torpedo attack. Don't lose a lot of sleep about the gaminess of this..

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 19
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 5:37:38 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

I always wondered what gives, since airframe stats are nothing spectacular

With a top speed of over 300 mph the PV-1 could outrun a lot of IJN/IJA fighters if they were not well pre-positioned to make an interception. In the Aleutians the PV-1s often flew beyond Paramushiro and made their bomb runs attacking from the SW to confuse the defense and take advantage of their relatively high speed.

It is interesting that the game does not give them the attributes of attack bombers since USN doctrine differed markedly from USAAF doctrine emphasizing low level attack as opposed to "high altitude precision bombing". By the latter half of 1943 PV-1s were being retro-fitted with a "chin pack" of 3 x .50cal MGs (replacing the bombardier) so that they could use a lot of firepower in low-level attacks. With the top turret aimed forward over the nose they had 7 x .50cals strafing. The PV-2 incorporated this "chin-pack" as standard equipment. The PV-2D (cancelled due to the end of the war) added 3 more .50 cals.

The PB4Y-2 was also modified to reflect the USNs preference for low level attacks. The ball turret was removed from the "standard" B24 as were the turbochargers on the engines: both important items for high altitude operations but unneeded at the low altitudes at which the USN operated. The planes often operated in pairs with one plane turning its bow, stern, side blister and top guns on the target to suppress flak while the other conducted its bombing attack.

My friend's dad flew both Venturas and Navy Liberators in the Pacific. He said the missing turbochargers were not important and served to both simplify maintenance and lightened the plane a little. Only real need to fly high in his words was to cool down your beer before landing.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 20
RE: US Navy level bomber use - 9/3/2016 7:58:59 PM   
Alpha77

You are now the commander use the stuff as you see fit :) I used them to bomb everything and search....
Except you have rules in a PBM, but it is perhaps ok to put some restraint on oneself if playing the AI.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> US Navy level bomber use Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI