Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/9/2016 8:42:31 AM   
Gandalf

From his other thread:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

Well, I didn't buy the game, I am waiting for a serious sale.

Link to mods which help the AI please?

Edit: Also, I do not think I can do the the "live opponent" thing. Time commitment, life, gym, lawyering up, chicks, clubbin' and other assorted nonsense would get in the way.

Due to schedule, I would be able to binge on this game for a day or two, and then have to leave it alone for week(s).

Why are we continuing to respond to this troll? As you can see above, he doesn't even own the game. He was given some helpful answers re:AI in his other thread, YET after the fact, he came back here and wrote out more of his troll opinions. I think it's time we all just ignore the guy and let the thread die off into oblivion. It would help if the moderator(s) would just close it.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 91
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/9/2016 9:14:29 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
You need to take into account this game was released 7 years ago, by a small group of enthusiasts (Henderson group) which had to fight to even get the most superficial access to source code. Most of the stuff they had to do on the surface. Said source code was done for the original WitP in 2004, and is based on an even older one.

Just FYI, we actually do have all the source code for the entire game. The reason some things didn't change wasn't because we didn't have the code, but changing it would have been a huge project. Sometimes the benefits aren't worth the costs.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 92
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/9/2016 9:19:12 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

You need to take into account this game was released 7 years ago, by a small group of enthusiasts (Henderson group) which had to fight to even get the most superficial access to source code. Most of the stuff they had to do on the surface. Said source code was done for the original WitP in 2004, and is based on an even older one.

Just FYI, we actually do have all the source code for the entire game. The reason some things didn't change wasn't because we didn't have the code, but changing it would have been a huge project. Sometimes the benefits aren't worth the costs.

Bill

Thanks for the FYI Bill, I stand corrected.

Quick question: Did access equal to permission to modify in any way you wanted as well? I always thought there were some pretty tight restrictions to that.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 93
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/9/2016 9:22:30 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

Why are we continuing to respond to this troll? As you can see above, he doesn't even own the game. He was given some helpful answers re:AI in his other thread, YET after the fact, he came back here and wrote out more of his troll opinions. I think it's time we all just ignore the guy and let the thread die off into oblivion. It would help if the moderator(s) would just close it.

He may be a troll, or he may be someone who just got off on the wrong foot. That said, I do think you have a point and this thread has run it's course. I'm locking this.

Bill

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 94
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/9/2016 9:35:33 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

Thanks for the FYI Bill, I stand corrected.

Quick question: Did access equal to permission to modify in any way you wanted as well? I always thought there were some pretty tight restrictions to that.

We have free reign to do what we want with it. I've never had any personal contact with anybody at 2X3, but they seem to be done with this engine (this gleaned from interviews and quotes I've seen over the years). I came on board relatively late, but from what I understand nobody on the AE team had any contact with 2X3 one way or the other once the code was handed over.

We can't claim ownership of 2X3's code, or any of those other intellectual property things, but I've never been told we were limited in any of our changes. Any decisions to limit our changes were based on feasibility and time restrictions.

Bill

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 95
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI