Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

50 is the New 60...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 50 is the New 60... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 2:59:01 PM   
Admiral DadMan

And other dumb things I said yesterday...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Post #: 1
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 3:07:31 PM   
Marshall

In terms of pilot training level you are still a rookie!
It is all about perception

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 2
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 3:36:51 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Dad, have a bad day yesterday?....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 3
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 3:41:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

warspite1

Dumb? Sounds about right to me. The trouble with reaching 50 is that bits start dropping off, hair doesn't grow where it should and does grow where it shouldn't (you should see Mrs W's chest!), getting downstairs takes twice as long as it should, and when ascending the stairs I need to set up base camp after 4 steps, putting on a pair of socks is a major operation - as is getting my pants on without putting my back out.....

Nah. Anyone that says 50 is the new 40 is full of......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 4
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 4:07:56 PM   
m10bob

When ya' think about how long some of us have been playing our wargames on computers...it kinda boggles the mind.

Anybody longer than the eighties?

Just threw this in because of the "aging" comments...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 4:24:28 PM   
warspite1

Nope 80's for me on the trusty Spectrum thingy.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 5:34:36 PM   
Zorch

You know how 1 dog year = 7 human years? I want an equivalency for mouse years.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 5:36:45 PM   
Gandalf

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob
<Snip>

<snip>

Yep, 1977, TRS-80... My first real game was my own self written Sargon chess program converted from 8080 processor mnemonics to Z80 processor mnemonics using the Z80 Assembly Language program from Tandy, (the Sargon 8080 code came in a book). I had a little trouble rewriting the block graphics routines for the Tandy, but it was fun, especially to insert "hooks" into the code to watch the computer process all the possible moves 3 turns deep.

Then the UI changed to GUI and it was just too troublesome to use Assembly Language after that. Heck, I even got bored with C++ and Pascal... With real life job hours, I finally gave up and just decided to keep up with the hardware upgrades and play wargames with the occasional builder/business simulators.

edit> My wife said it was all a waste of money, LOL... I told her it was the future and these things and the tech they were based on would supplant all forms of tech, even TV, she laughed... Now she out techs me with a Galaxy Note something or other phone (not the 7). I just stuck with my trusty Motorola Droid Razr Max... I haven't seen any need to upgrade it yet.

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 9/25/2016 5:44:33 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 5:42:18 PM   
Anthropoid

Busyness simulators? Of what do you speak Gandalf the White?

That is a type of game I might be able to get my workaholic wife hooked on . . .

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 9
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 5:43:20 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob
<Snip>

<snip>

Yep, 1977, TRS-80... My first real game was my own self written Sargon chess program converted from 8080 processor mnemonics to Z80 processor mnemonics using the Z80 Assembly Language program from Tandy, (the Sargon 8080 code came in a book). I had a little trouble rewriting the block graphics routines for the Tandy, but it was fun, especially to insert "hooks" into the code to watch the computer process all the possible moves 3 turns deep.

Then the UI changed to GUI and it was just too troublesome to use Assembly Language after that. Heck, I even got bored with C++ and Pascal... With real life job hours, I finally gave up and just decided to keep up with the hardware upgrades and play wargames with the occasional builder/business simulators.

Yea, Sargon!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 10
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 5:55:41 PM   
Gandalf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

That is a type of game I might be able to get my workaholic wife hooked on . . .

Capitalism Lab is the latest one. It's been out for a long time in previous forms as Capitalism, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism II, but the latest and greatest is Cap Lab. You can get it here!.

edit> Just like Earl Sheib's Auto paint... Only $19.99, but wait, there's more... 3 extra free games come with it if interested LOL... I've watched too many commercials.
Did you read page 21 of your contract? No you didn't, it said Blah, Blah, Blah,... Blah, Blah, Blah

Cap Lab is a work in progress, constantly being improved... much like games here on Matrix's site. Very dedicated programmer/developers

I also liked Railroad Tycoon (Sid Meiers Microprose) before they "Kid Toy Redesigned It", (Sid Meiers/Firaxis) but it was more game intensive and not so much business... it was fun to use the stock market rules in game to ruthlessly takeover the other rail barons.

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 9/25/2016 6:12:18 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 11
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 6:16:21 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

quote:

Capitalism Lab is the latest one. It's been out for a long time in previous forms as Capitalism, Capitalism Plus, Capitalism II, but the latest and greatest is Cap Lab. You can get it here!.

edit> Just like Earl Sheib's Auto paint... Only $19.99, but wait, there's more... 3 extra free games come with it if interested LOL... I've watched too many commercials.
Did you read page 21 of your contract? No you didn't, it said Blah, Blah, Blah,... Blah, Blah, Blah

Cap Lab is a work in progress, constantly being improved... much like games here on Matrix's site. Very dedicated programmer/developers

I also liked Railroad Tycoon (Sid Meiers Microprose) before they "Kid Toy Redesigned It", (Sid Meiers/Firaxis) but it was more game intensive and not so much business... it was fun to use the stock market rules in game to ruthlessly takeover the other rail barons.

Nice! Thanks.
I'll have to pencil-in checking that one out in about 2021! :)

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 12
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 6:28:51 PM   
Gandalf

The few years before my venture into the TRS-80, I was obsessed with board wargames, especially War In the East/War In the West/ War In Europe. Had a bedroom with a ping pong table with plywood overlaid just to accommodate that War In Europe map. Another board game almost as large was the predecessor to this very game forum. War In the Pacific. I trashed them in the mid nineties figuring they were of no use anymore. Recently, I looked them up as collector's items... Crying here... Mucho hundreds if not a thousand dollars depending on condition... Mine were mint. I had even taken the time to carefully trim all the cardboard piece corners to avoid them hanging up on the game map. Admittedly, you could get a little more if they were not punched out at all, but who would have a game that they never punched the pieces out of?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 13
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 6:36:34 PM   
Anthropoid

I've got two fairly well-weathered cardboard boxes entitled:
"Vietnam 1965-75" and
"Rise and Decline of the THIRD REICH"
on the bookshelf right behind me!

None of my D&D, Star Frontiers, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay buddies ever wanted to play those though

I think I eventually gave back all the ones my High School history professor had loaned to me

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 14
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/25/2016 8:51:38 PM   
Marshall

I remember when i bought my copy of Gary Grigsby's Pacific War, SSI version in 1993 i think, ran on my ancient Dos machine.
No internet to ask questions, just a manual to read over and over again.

I remember that version had great kamaikaze and okha results, and if you shipped a chunk of your division by sea without dividing it, it would rebuild the chunk to new division level, and you had 2 for the price of 1!
Interfaces where a bit clunky.

Now after more then 20 years, still playing the game, and still learning!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marshall -- 9/25/2016 9:14:09 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 15
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 12:51:55 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

You know how 1 dog year = 7 human years? I want an equivalency for mouse years.

You can have your mouse years. Me, hummingbird years. A hummingbird can max out at 1200 heartbeats a minute. That has to beat a mouse. Except a computer mouse maybe.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 16
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 2:31:59 AM   
Zorch

quote:

The few years before my venture into the TRS-80, I was obsessed with board wargames, especially War In the East/War In the West/ War In Europe. Had a bedroom with a ping pong table with plywood overlaid just to accommodate that War In Europe map. Another board game almost as large was the predecessor to this very game forum. War In the Pacific. I trashed them in the mid nineties figuring they were of no use anymore. Recently, I looked them up as collector's items... Crying here... Mucho hundreds if not a thousand dollars depending on condition... Mine were mint. I had even taken the time to carefully trim all the cardboard piece corners to avoid them hanging up on the game map. Admittedly, you could get a little more if they were not punched out at all, but who would have a game that they never punched the pieces out of?

I still have my copies, punched but little played. Terrible Swift Sword was my poison.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 17
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 4:29:47 AM   
Gandalf

quote:

<snip>
I still have my copies, punched but little played. Terrible Swift Sword was my poison.

That one had quite a good sized map too, but WIE dwarfed it. SPI made most of the best games. Avalon Hill was okay, but they were mostly glossy and eye candy. I visited the Avalon Hill warehouse in Baltimore in the mid-70s however, when I was Nuke training at Bainbridge, MD.

Also, visited TSR's main store in Wisconsin, while doing a stint again at Great Lakes, IL. Got a little distracted by all the beauties wandering around nearby... Wondered what the ????. Found out later it was the home of the Playboy mansion. And all I could think of was finding the TSR wargame store! I was seriously addicted to boxed wargames. TSR however was going heavily into the Dungeon and Dragon junk, so the visit there was somewhat wasted except for the walking scenery. LOL ole geo... would have been in lizard heaven.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 18
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 1:20:26 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

OH YES!!! Earl Scheib $19.95...fire engine red on my '64 VW Bug with the hood inserts painted black to look like a crunched down Road Runner...Just before my NEW '67 Camaro!

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 19
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 1:41:32 PM   
geofflambert

Earl Scheib?!? Been a long time since I heard of him.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 20
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 1:52:23 PM   
geofflambert

Remember how there were always rusted cans with wheels and belching smoke running around all over? Remember homes that had ugly heaps of rust parked in their front yard? Nowadays you can go to the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods and all the cars look great. No need for Earl Scheib anymore. No need for undercoats anymore, ha ha, like you ever needed that.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 21
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 2:49:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

<snip>
[/quote

Also, visited TSR's main store in Wisconsin, while doing a stint again at Great Lakes, IL. Got a little distracted by all the beauties wandering around nearby... Wondered what the ????. Found out later it was the home of the Playboy mansion. And all I could think of was finding the TSR wargame store! I was seriously addicted to boxed wargames. TSR however was going heavily into the Dungeon and Dragon junk, so the visit there was somewhat wasted except for the walking scenery. LOL ole geo... would have been in lizard heaven.

The gorn only likes lady lizards....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 22
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 5:05:47 PM   
geofflambert

We are job creators. What would lounge barkeeps do for a living without us? Ever ask yourself that?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 23
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 5:54:20 PM   
Marshall

Lizard snacks! Any bartender should serve them
Amazing they actually taste good

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 6:35:17 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

I also visited the Lake Geneva Wisc. store circa 1984 ....wait for it ...aged 16

(Yes go ahead do the math)

Was very enthralled with all of the above both RPGs and Avalon Hills "eye candy" board games (as relatively expensive as they were at the time).

The store in Lake Geneva actually had a 'smallish' section of war - board games as I recall but to me it was almost heaven because they actually stocked product I had never seen before.

Locally in Canada even at the most complete hobby stores across multiple cities I was hard pressed to find such a selection of everything.

(Albeit I did not reside in Toronto where I would have had an opportunity possibly)

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 25
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 6:46:41 PM   
geofflambert

Good thing it wasn't in Lake Geneva Switzerland, all that cardboard would be pretty soggy.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 26
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 6:55:27 PM   
Zorch

Do Gorns find themselves drawn to power plants?

Post #: 27
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 7:12:02 PM   
geofflambert

By power plants, do you mean female gorns? Female gorns eat their mates. I run the other way whenever possible.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 28
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 7:21:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

Female gorns eat their mates.

Do they eat your tail if you accidently, purposefully, dropped it?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 29
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 8:40:58 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Female gorns eat their mates.

Do they eat your tail if you accidently, purposefully, dropped it?

If there's a bottle of hot sauce handy.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 50 is the New 60... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI