Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 50 is the New 60...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 50 is the New 60... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 8:44:00 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Female gorns eat their mates.

Do they eat your tail if you accidently, purposefully, dropped it?

If there's a bottle of hot sauce handy.

*cringe*

I am sorry that I asked.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/26/2016 10:36:58 PM   
Will_L_OLD

What kind of hot sauce? There's a world of difference between them.
I'm partial to Chipotle Tabasco, Don Shula's Special #347 & Cholula.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 32
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/27/2016 12:19:11 AM   
Zorch

quote:

By power plants, do you mean female gorns? Female gorns eat their mates. I run the other way whenever possible.

Gorn family reunions must be very awkward.

Post #: 33
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/27/2016 12:21:38 AM   
geofflambert

Well, I've been using Frank's RedHot lately, but not for gorn tails but to keep squirrels away from my blackberries. Hot stuff doesn't have any effect on birds though, but deterring squirrels saves a lot for me. It's interesting that the very reason some plants have fruit (and peppers count) that is hot is because the plant has evolved to have birds spread their seed as opposed to mammalian varmints who don't go very far before taking a crap. I mix the hot sauce in a hand sprayer at a proportion of 1 to 10 and spray the emerging fruit after each rain. It works.

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 34
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/27/2016 12:22:32 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

By power plants, do you mean female gorns? Female gorns eat their mates. I run the other way whenever possible.

Gorn family reunions must be very awkward.

Not for the ladies, they have a blast.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 35
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/27/2016 1:58:58 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Remember how there were always rusted cans with wheels and belching smoke running around all over? Remember homes that had ugly heaps of rust parked in their front yard? Nowadays you can go to the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods and all the cars look great. No need for Earl Scheib anymore. No need for undercoats anymore, ha ha, like you ever needed that.

The climate affects how cars age too. In places where they salt the roads, car bodies rot out. They rot out slower than they used to, but they still do. In climates where there is either no need to salt roads (no snow) or they don't salt roads (like the NW US), car bodies tend to last forever. In this region cars fail mechanically before the bodies rot out.

Here west of the Cascades yard cars do tend to grow a green patina of algae, especially in the winter. They also usually get buried under blackberry vines.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 36
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/27/2016 2:07:15 AM   
wdolson

quote:

So are gorns arachnids or insects? You're kind of missing a few limbs for that. Mating cannibalism doesn't happen among any species higher than insects.

Even in insects cannibalism during mating is not universal. With praying mantises the female munches her mate less than 50% of the time. A lot depends on how hungry she is as well as the male's position. A few years ago there was a male Carolina mantis who was mating wit all the female Chinese mantises. Carolina mantises are smaller and no female could reach him. He was an aggressive bug. He beat several male Chinese mantises to the female.

Bill

Post #: 37
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/28/2016 2:04:41 AM   
Admiral DadMan

The genesis of my post was on my 50th birthday last Saturday, I made a joke about the significance of the age I was turning, and I inadvertently said, "50 is the new 60", to which my 60 year old brother replied, "Yes, and apparently you're aging like milk; you smell, and you're making people sick."

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 38
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/28/2016 2:07:41 AM   
TOMLABEL

His company painted my 1974 Firebird in 1981. Hadn't heard that name in a long time.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 39
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:01:20 AM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

Well, I've been using Frank's RedHot lately, but not for gorn tails but to keep squirrels away from my blackberries. Hot stuff doesn't have any effect on birds though, but deterring squirrels saves a lot for me. It's interesting that the very reason some plants have fruit (and peppers count) that is hot is because the plant has evolved to have birds spread their seed as opposed to mammalian varmints who don't go very far before taking a crap. I mix the hot sauce in a hand sprayer at a proportion of 1 to 10 and spray the emerging fruit after each rain. It works.

Nice, to keep the squirrels out of our garden I peel apples and powder them with cayenne pepper
then leave them near my zucchini plants, also leave peeled apples without cayenne so they don't
just avoid them. Darn things love to nibble the ends off the young zucchinis.
Hilarious when one takes a bite and then scrambles up the fence and starts grunting.

Post #: 40
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:17:58 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Will_L

quote:

Nice, to keep the squirrels out of our garden I peel apples and powder them with cayenne pepper
then leave them near my zucchini plants, also leave peeled apples without cayenne so they don't
just avoid them. Darn things love to nibble the ends off the young zucchinis.
Hilarious when one takes a bite and then scrambles up the fence and starts grunting.

I just trap 'em or shoot 'em with my air gun. Later I make a pot of squirrel surprise. Mmmm, good eatin'. Tastes a bit like rat-ta-tui.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 41
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:34:41 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

So are gorns arachnids or insects? You're kind of missing a few limbs for that. Mating cannibalism doesn't happen among any species higher than insects.

Even in insects cannibalism during mating is not universal. With praying mantises the female munches her mate less than 50% of the time. A lot depends on how hungry she is as well as the male's position. A few years ago there was a male Carolina mantis who was mating wit all the female Chinese mantises. Carolina mantises are smaller and no female could reach him. He was an aggressive bug. He beat several male Chinese mantises to the female.

Bill

I don't get munched any percent of the time. What's your secret?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 42
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:38:59 AM   
geofflambert

Problem with squirrels is there's no end of them. You can kill as many as you like, they keep coming. The best balance is have a pair take your yard as their territory and they'll drive of interlopers, mostly.

Post #: 43
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:40:45 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

The genesis of my post was on my 50th birthday last Saturday, I made a joke about the significance of the age I was turning, and I inadvertently said, "50 is the new 60", to which my 60 year old brother replied, "Yes, and apparently you're aging like milk; you smell, and you're making people sick."

Shouldn't it be; 50 is the new 40 or something? If you're 50 but feel like you're 60, then it sounds like you must have had a lot of bad fortune in health.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 44
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 2:42:36 AM   
geofflambert

Whatever you do, please don't poison them, the scavengers (including hawks) will be poisoned too. Non lead pellets are available and I know from experience that they work. What I'm not clear on is what effect they have on the rifling in your barrel. Haven't done enough testing myself to find out.

Post #: 45
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 3:24:44 AM   
Zorch

Have you tried engaging the services of a feline quadruped? They are very cost effective and pleasing to humans.

Post #: 46
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 4:04:02 AM   
Will_L_OLD

I wouldn't recommend eating NYC squirrels... I imagine they drink the same nasty street water that's slicked over
with an oil sheen and whatever else that's in it, they probably should be considered a biohazard to eat. I'd never poison them
because I like having them around, except when they sample my zucchini Cats are good but I'm allergic and there
aren't any strays around my area - too many Chinese take out joints

< Message edited by Will_L -- 9/29/2016 4:06:28 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 47
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 4:51:13 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Whatever you do, please don't poison them, the scavengers (including hawks) will be poisoned too. Non lead pellets are available and I know from experience that they work. What I'm not clear on is what effect they have on the rifling in your barrel. Haven't done enough testing myself to find out.

You do of course know I'm joking.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 48
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 5:07:40 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Have you tried engaging the services of a feline quadruped? They are very cost effective and pleasing to humans.

A really fast feline can deal with them. One of our pair of new kittens is named Squirrel (Belka actually, the Russian world for squirrel). She is kind of squirrelly, though the other kitten Moose is the fast one. Moose is 6 months old next Monday and she's already the size of a full grown cat. I expect she'll be around 15 pounds and she's one of the fastest cats I've ever seen.

Bill

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 49
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 3:18:32 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Shouldn't it be; 50 is the new 40 or something? If you're 50 but feel like you're 60, then it sounds like you must have had a lot of bad fortune in health.

Well, yes, that was my point. I got it backwards.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 50
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 6:03:38 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

I have a coon cat and I let him go out on occasion and he doesn't go far. He brought me in a dove once, it was unharmed and I released it back out and it flew off fine.
Something like a rat terrier would be better. A dachshund would totally take care of any squirrel problem.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 51
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 6:04:58 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

You know, of course, I wasn't.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 52
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 6:06:47 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

A really fast feline can deal with them. One of our pair of new kittens is named Squirrel (Belka actually, the Russian world for squirrel). She is kind of squirrelly, though the other kitten Moose is the fast one. Moose is 6 months old next Monday and she's already the size of a full grown cat. I expect she'll be around 15 pounds and she's one of the fastest cats I've ever seen.

Bill

You will of course remind us of her first birthday. I have no idea on my second hand coon cat.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 53
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 6:56:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

You know, of course, I wasn't.

Not a fair comparison. After you shoot holes in your tail you can just drop it. We humans are reluctant to drop our appendages (until we become zombies).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 54
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 7:03:31 PM   
geofflambert

Isn't there an intermediate stage before zombie? Isn't it called (Bill Olson don't give me any grief on this, it's a joke) lawyer?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 55
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 7:18:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Isn't there an intermediate stage before zombie? Isn't it called (Bill Olson don't give me any grief on this, it's a joke) lawyer?

Lawyers and politicians do seem to like addling our brains, but I've never seen them actually eat brains. For the latter I think you need to find an Englishman or Scot.
(J/K)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 56
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 8:29:12 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

Problem with squirrels is there's no end of them. You can kill as many as you like, they keep coming. The best balance is have a pair take your yard as their territory and they'll drive of interlopers, mostly.

why are you guys killing squirrels ? I would pay money to have some here in my lawn.

Post #: 57
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 8:47:15 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Lawyers and politicians do seem to like addling our brains, but I've never seen them actually eat brains. For the latter I think you need to find an Englishman or Scot.
(J/K)

You know, on a small commercial stretch near me, painted on the side of a three story brick building was an ad for BRAINS.
Brain sandwiches were once a delicacy around here. Since mad cow disease and chronic wasting disease we know that's a really bad idea.
The signs are long gone, but if I run into an old photo I'll post it here.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 58
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 8:53:25 PM   
geofflambert

You know, (why do I keep typing "you know"?) I'm not sure this isn't one of the ones I remember. What would Monty Python have done with this?

Dammit, you can see the St. Louis Arch in the background, it is one of the signs I remember! I could never come up with the quarter, though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/29/2016 8:54:54 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: 50 is the New 60... - 9/29/2016 8:55:56 PM   
geofflambert

Here's another pic

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 50 is the New 60... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI