Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Games with good AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with good AI? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Games with good AI? - 10/8/2016 3:31:18 PM   
the_iron_duke

While, strategy games are probably still a long way from having an AI that can compare with a human player, which games do you think have a good AI?

Of Matrix games that I have played:

Panzer Corps - not so good AI and scripted in a defensive context
Unity of Command - decent AI
Advanced Tactics Gold - I've been impressed with this game's AI. The AI gets bonuses against the human player, but it also functions pretty well in it's thinking processes. It's particularly good at trying to cut off the human player's supply lines. That the AI functions well on random maps, in an offensive context and without scripting, is particularly impressive.
Post #: 1
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/8/2016 3:40:18 PM   
wodin

Command Ops series. (Well known for having a good AI, some say one of the best if not the best)
Wings Over Flanders Fields 3 (A Sim but has a really good AI)
Graviteam Tactics series (can pull off some interesting moves at times)
Steam and Iron (and the other games in the series. No one really mentions the AI, which must be a good sign)
Dwarf Fortress (extremely in depth AI's going on)

However I'm prob not the best person to say as AI's often beat me..I'm not one that will study an AI to find out all it's faults.

(in reply to the_iron_duke)
Post #: 2
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/8/2016 4:07:00 PM   
Orm

I've been impressed by the AI in Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/8/2016 4:29:14 PM   
budd

top of list is Vic's Decisive Campaign series and Command Ops

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/8/2016 6:50:57 PM   
Jafele

-Heroes 3 of might & magic+Horn of the abyss (free mod). Extremely challenging AI!
-Europa Universalis IV. Very good AI with loads of computer opponents and variables.
-Pike & Shot: Campaigns. I don´t own this game but many people think it has a powerful AI.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 10/8/2016 6:56:16 PM >

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 5
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/10/2016 4:17:31 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Rome II Total War after the last patch has a good AI as long as you don't play one of the majors like Rome or Carthage. Playing one of the Britian factions except the Incinni (sp) is a pretty good game and if you can't get out early you'll probably get crushed. Get the mod that lets you play all the factions for the best experience of Rome II TW now.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 6
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/10/2016 10:44:16 PM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

Command Ops and Flashpoint Campaigns are at the top of my list.

Highly recommend either (or both).

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 7
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/12/2016 4:21:59 PM   
wings7

A bump to get rid of the spam bot name.

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 8
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/12/2016 6:05:37 PM   
IainMcNeil

Check out Strategic Command. Some of the things the AI can do are pretty awesome. Hubert did studies on how human players were acting differently to the AI top improve the AI and it's really impressive.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 9
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/12/2016 6:07:58 PM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_iron_duke

Advanced Tactics Gold - I've been impressed with this game's AI. The AI gets bonuses against the human player, but it also functions pretty well in it's thinking processes. It's particularly good at trying to cut off the human player's supply lines. That the AI functions well on random maps, in an offensive context and without scripting, is particularly impressive.

Agree.

Vic has improved it a lot during the last few years.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

Post #: 10
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/12/2016 7:40:08 PM   
major.pain

AI War Fleet Command.
Best AI ive played against, it will kick your arse and then some :)

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 11
RE: Games with good AI? - 10/13/2016 10:25:00 PM   
JSternum

I second AI War: Fleet Command. It's a stressful game in which the computer punishes you mercilessly if you show it any weakness.

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 12
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/26/2017 8:54:17 PM   
Jafele

Sengoku Jidai has the same engine than Pike & Shot. To my mind both of them have an extraordinary AI.

On the other hand, I´ve read very positive opinions about DC3 AI. Think I´m gonna get it sooner or later.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 4/26/2017 9:16:38 PM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to JSternum)
Post #: 13
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/26/2017 9:44:43 PM   
Rosseau

Well, that is some very good advice from all. I think Pike&Shot is very good, too. But with all respect, Jafele, I found Sengoku strategic game rather a joke and the tactical rather boring. Could be as I know nothing of the time period. And AI may be good for all I know.

In a crunch, I would go with everything on Wodin's list except that Flanders thing?

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 14
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/26/2017 10:52:37 PM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Well, that is some very good advice from all. I think Pike&Shot is very good, too. But with all respect, Jafele, I found Sengoku strategic game rather a joke and the tactical rather boring. Could be as I know nothing of the time period. And AI may be good for all I know.

Sengoku is similar to P&S but with different background. If you love P&S you will like Sengoku. In truth they are battle simulators, not strategic or operational games. Both games are very realistic and the researching work is simply amazing.

An interesting discussion about P&S and SJ.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/26/2017 11:36:28 PM   
CCIP-subsim

Lots of good mentions here already that I would've put on that list! Wodin's list is great, and I'd have it WITH the Wings over Flanders Fields thing, too Seriously, it has really excellent AI, my favourite feature of which is the fact that it's not merely obsessed with killing you, but has this sadly-unusual tendency (for a game) to actually think about its own survival - and has a fight/flight/ignore logic that takes into account things like skill, fatigue, and advantages in number and altitude.
Another good flight sim AI deserving of mention is in the also-single-player-only Battle of Britain II.

In shooters, I'd vote the Stalker series - but with the caveat that it's not that impressive in the stock games; it's in the various major mods (of which there are many) that the AI can be really impressive and results in some of the best firefights you can get in single player.

I want to get more into Pike and Shot! I definitely thought the AI there was quite good, though with the caveat that some of it is due to the combat mechanics which basically takes units completely out of your control once they're engaged in melee combat or pursuit.

I'm a huge fan of the AI in Scourge of War (I can only judge by the Gettysburg series - haven't played Waterloo yet, though I own it) - particularly since the proper way to play that game at any level above brigade is to learn how to delegate orders to your AI subordinates and watch them carry it out. And they're generally pretty good at it, but each have different personalities and tactical styles - as do enemy commanders. You end up thinking much less about raw numbers or micromanaging units as a result, and start thinking about who Division commanders A, B, and C's are, what their troops are like, what situation they're in and what you could reasonably count on from them.

A somewhat simpler, quicker-paced and easier-to-get-into Civil War title would be Ultimate General (originally UG: Gettysburg, now in early access as UG: Civil War), which also has really excellent and very customazable AI - if you like Total War games, this series is made by a team led by Darth of the DarthMod fame who was famous for his brilliant AI mods for TW titles from Rome through Napoleon. They really know what it takes to give you a challenging AI opponent - which regularly kicks my butt in unpredictable ways. If you want very good AI in a game that's quick to learn - this one's your ticket!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 16
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/27/2017 5:03:26 AM   
RFalvo69

In my experience:

- AI War: Fleet Command (I have the game with all the expansions - 'nuff said)
- Command Ops 2 (the way you see the various sub-formations organise themselves according to the orders given and the doctrine is a thing of beauty by itself, even when you are not fightning).
- Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa: From the AI itself to the "AI" of the various Generals. How Halder didn't lost his sanity is a mystery.
- Galactic Civilization 2 has not only a personalised AI for every race, but you can squeeze your processor power to the maximum via sliders. I never tried GalCiv3, but the feedback was meh...
- AGEOD's game usually have a good AI - and you can give to the AI extra processor time.

Outside strategy games:
- Alien Isolation (the AI of the Alien is more scary than the Alien itself )
- F.E.A.R. 1, from 2005, is a first person shooter (with a supernatural element) which has, according to the masses, still the best enemy AI ever done. I played it back in the day, and I can confirm that it was amazing.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 17
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/27/2017 6:32:40 AM   
Viudana

The best AIs I've played: Command Ops, Europa Universalis IV and Pike & Shot

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 18
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/27/2017 6:50:01 AM   
RodyMetal

Command Ops2 is my top list next is DC:Barbarossa and then Pike&Shot/ Sengoku Jidai

Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED

(in reply to Viudana)
Post #: 19
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/27/2017 10:38:06 AM   
Jafele

Yeah, I´ve heard that Stalker and FEAR AI have a great reputation. Thank you guys, two more shooters for the wishlist.

Also Left 4 dead 2 is extremely challenging using this mod.

Forgot to mention Tiller´s Squad Battles and First World War Campaigns: The AI is a pretty decent enemy as well.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 4/27/2017 11:57:17 AM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to RodyMetal)
Post #: 20
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/27/2017 11:05:41 AM   
redcoat

Yup. Pike & Shot does have a good AI. It's a good game all round.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 21
RE: Games with good AI? - 4/28/2017 3:21:50 PM   
CCIP-subsim

It's also worth mentioning that there's games that don't have an AI that is especially smart when unassisted - but have scripting and scenario-making capabilities that, when used correctly, can really make a huge difference. Ones I would include in that list are Matrix's own CMANO and TOAW, Bohemia's ARMA series, and Battlefront's Combat Mission series - all of which have some excellent scenario designers in their communities, who know how to do clever scripting and setup. I do think games like Command Ops (which has a true unscripted AI, afaik) are somewhat more impressive - but there are upsides to the custom scripting approach. I've done a bunch of scenario editing in CMANO for example, and in the right hands, a scenario maker can practically make their own custom AI that doesn't behave anything like the default one.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 22
RE: Games with good AI? - 5/1/2017 6:42:14 PM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_iron_duke

Of Matrix games that I have played:

Unity of Command - decent AI

Unity of command is on sales (-85%) in Steam.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 5/1/2017 6:44:18 PM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

Post #: 23
RE: Games with good AI? - 5/1/2017 10:53:09 PM   
Skeleton

My obligatory endorsement of Decisive Battles, Kharkov and Battlefront from SSG. All have outstanding AI's. Now if only Matrix would redo them so I could have full screen, redone counters and UI, I would be in heaven.

Post #: 24
RE: Games with good AI? - 5/2/2017 2:54:36 PM   
JessK

My top choices here are Advanced Tactics Gold and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - to my mind nothing has surpassed them so far

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 25
RE: Games with good AI? - 5/2/2017 9:56:48 PM   
Jafele

Try CSGO with this mod.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 5/28/2017 9:51:36 PM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to JessK)
Post #: 26
RE: Games with good AI? - 6/12/2017 4:26:51 PM   
Jafele

Heroes V of might and magic+Tribes of the east (expansion)+5.5 mod. The mod includes a vast AI improvement for this amazing fantasy wargame.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 27
RE: Games with good AI? - 6/12/2017 5:09:55 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

My obligatory endorsement of Decisive Battles, Kharkov and Battlefront from SSG. All have outstanding AI's. Now if only Matrix would redo them so I could have full screen, redone counters and UI, I would be in heaven.

Fully agree

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 28
RE: Games with good AI? - 6/12/2017 11:26:27 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Conquest Medieval has a good AI on 4 and 5 difficulty. Of course we can't leave out Panzer Command; Osfront. Much better ai without scripting than Combat Mission imho.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with good AI? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI