Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 10/18/2016 1:21:39 AM   
the_iron_duke

I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit.

"The game already has an Assault Gun unit", I hear you say. Well, the Assault Gun unit in the game is actually a Tank Destroyer unit and the game's "Tankdestroyer" unit is a Heavy Tank Destroyer.

Things may be this way because the most famous Assault Gun, the German StuG III was adapted very effectively into a Tank Destroyer Role. However, the StuG III was also adapted into the widely used StuH 42 which continued in the assault gun role (as well as there being other German assault guns used in the assault gun role, such as the Brummbär, Sturmtiger and sIG 33B).

While they can be very similar, often built on the same tank chassis, and with the chief difference being the gun, the roles of the tank destroyer and assault gun are quite different. The assault gun is "designed for use in the direct fire role in support of infantry when attacking other infantry or fortified positions" (wikipedia). The Tank Destroyer is "a type of armoured fighting vehicle, armed with a direct-fire artillery gun or missile launcher, with limited operational capacities and designed specifically to engage enemy armoured vehicles" (wikipedia).

Also from Wikipedia:

"The assault gun looks and works in the same way as the similar tank destroyer, the only difference in most cases being the gun. Assault guns generally used larger calibre, lower velocity guns, with their primary ammunition being that of high-explosive shells; these were meant for taking out soft targets as outlined in its infantry support role. This was contrasted with the tank destroyer, which utilized higher velocity, and therefore smaller calibre guns, firing armour-piercing shells as their primary ammunition."

While the tank destroyer's lack of turret makes it better used in defense, the Assault Gun is used in an offensive role, as its name suggests.

They have two positions in the military organisational structure. Firstly as divisional units in Motorised Divisions (based on German Panzergrenadier Divisions). They exist in the divisional structure as a support battalion, rather than regiment, so in my system, they would not be represented as an individual unit and instead one company would be considered to be attached to each of the Mechanized Infantry Regiments. So each Motorized Infantry Regiment in a Motorized Division would get one Assault Gun sub-unit.

Secondly, they exist as independent battalions that can be attached to Corps as Corps Troops from the Army Pool.

I was wondering how to model them in the game, such as should they be artillery? Since they operate in a direct fire role, I think they will attack as tank and tank destroyer (game's default Assault Gun!) do.

So most stats identical to a tank destroyer (game's default Assault Gun!) except combat values against the various types of unit. Good against Infantry, Soft Mobile, and higher stats attacking rather than defending, like a tank.

Here's the first draft of the graphic, which I've cannibalized from the game's "Assault Gun" graphic (which will then become a new "Tank Destroyer" unit.

< Message edited by the_iron_duke -- 10/18/2016 1:24:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 10/19/2016 1:43:54 AM   
GaryChildress

Would be really nice to have a SP Artillery graphic. That's what is really missing in the stock game.

(in reply to the_iron_duke)
Post #: 2
RE: I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 10/19/2016 2:57:34 AM   
the_iron_duke

I agree it would be nice to see it. It can be replicated, functionally at least, by combining artillery with a Halftrack in the game.

The Halftrack AFV from my other thread, on the other hand, cannot be replicated and so needed a new unit. The assault gun, too, is difficult to replicate without creating a new unit.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 3
RE: I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 11/3/2016 3:58:12 PM   
davebob

I have done this without need of a new unit. I increased the AG vs infantry, lowered AG vs armor. Opposite for tank destroyer. Not quite historic, yet, game theory calls for the rock,scissors paper element. Also can increase offensive effectiveness of AG vs urban, and fortifications. Believe I increased tank destroyer defense in hills, reflecting their ability for hull down and dug in static positions. Love this game !

Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....

(in reply to the_iron_duke)
Post #: 4
RE: I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 2/26/2017 7:21:42 AM   
GaryChildress

Hi Iron_duke,

I did a little messing around with your assault gun graphic and came up with a SP artillery graphic. It's a little enlarged from the original size to fit more of the frame. Attached are the overlay and base files in a zip file.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to davebob)
Post #: 5
RE: I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit - 2/26/2017 7:22:56 AM   
GaryChildress

Here's a preview.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> I was thinking of making an Assault Gun unit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI