Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Art, Terrain, Icon Posts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Art, Terrain, Icon Posts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Art, Terrain, Icon Posts - 5/10/2000 11:34:00 AM   
Nick Papp

Hello to all, While everyone is enjoying the new game, I wondered if there are any comments on the new art, graphics, terrain and icons. Please post any thoughts here. Thanks! Nick Papp Director, Art & Graphics

[FONT=Garamond][FONT=Arial Black]Magyar[/FONT][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Black]"[I]All battles are won in the end by infantrymen." [/I][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Field Marshall Viscount
Post #: 1
- 5/10/2000 4:39:00 PM   
andyaff

The graphics look OK,but a question,in the manual it says the resolutions are 640*480 to 800*600.How do you switch between these two settings ingame?

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 2
- 5/10/2000 6:24:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Nick Papp: Hello to all, While everyone is enjoying the new game, I wondered if there are any comments on the new art, graphics, terrain and icons. Please post any thoughts here. Thanks! I love them, would like one more click on the zoom in feature tho! Nick Papp Director, Art & Graphics

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 3
- 5/10/2000 7:31:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

A word was left out...its only 800x 600

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 4
- 5/10/2000 8:47:00 PM   
PR^Spanjab

The terrain looks great! All the new icons and other graphics are fine and do just the job they need to. The only criticism I have is so trivial I wasn't gonna mention it! The first time I saw a smoking destroyed vehicle I wasn't too sure it was dead. I guess I am too used to the 2 frames of fire/smoke animation and having it motionless threw me. How trivial is that?

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 5
- 5/10/2000 8:49:00 PM   
Mark_Ezra

The graphics are a great improvement over the original. All of the choices in textures. Cobblestone streets, walls, gullies...water to wade in...Super job, fellas

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 6
- 5/20/2000 9:49:00 PM   
Seth

Everything looks much nicer! I do agree that having animated smoke/fire would be better for the atmosphere.

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 7
- 5/11/2000 11:03:00 AM   
Supervisor

Nick, You have done a wonderful job. The terrain features are great. The new buildings are phenmoenal. I ahve 2 queastions regarding the buildings. There are a couple tthat have round circles and u or n shapes in the multihex residential, I beleive. What are these supposed to be? ------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 8
- 5/11/2000 9:19:00 PM   
Nick Papp

Hi guys, Thanks for all the posts, I'll try to answer them all as I can. Paul picked up the 640X480 issue - this was a misprint in the game guide. Only one setting - 800X600. Alby - The four zoom setting in SP3 and SP:WAW is a bit decieving. To add another level of zoom like in SP1 or SP2 would likely have been a MAJOR code rewrite for Mike Wood. To much effort, too little return. I can GUARANTEE you however the four zooms that we used are the EXACT same pixel size as was use in the stock terrain in SP1/2. The difference now is that your looking through 800X600 eyes, and not 640X480. PR^Spanjab & Seth - Glad you both commented on the smoke issue. I have not had time to go back and see the problem, but will. It is VERY likely a minor art glitch, which I can correct in an interim art patch, or certainly with the next .exe patch. Thanks!! Mark_Ezra: Thanks for the kind words!! Lot's of work, but nice to see this all finally in the game. Check out the new multi-hex buildings, these are some of the real gems in the new art. Grenadier: Hey man, nice to see a familiar face on the message board!! Okay...knew this would throw people. The horseshoe-shaped image in the "1" multi-hex option is actually a replica of an Okinawaian tomb. Georges Ostermann, who did up SO MANY of th enew buildings, found a picture of it an drew us one. Did not know what Pacific-rim graveyards looked like, so you go tht tomb. And actually these are very large structures - Georges picture has a Sherman M4 hiding in the opening of one!! Now you know. Thaks again guys for all the posts, keep 'em commng. Regards, Nick Papp

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Black]"[I]All battles are won in the end by infantrymen." [/I][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 9
- 5/11/2000 9:36:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

All the new stuff like the new buildings and such look really great but is it some limit on the part of the code or why haven't you added more trees and grass hexes and such? Of course you just might have been doing those fancy new units and such Well, if you want to retain the looks of the original series, works well. If you have time, please do some more of those. Great game even if you don't and thanks for all the new graphics. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 10
- 5/11/2000 9:47:00 PM   
3rd Recon

Hello, I was going to ask for a cemetary, but I found one in the editor under large buildings. It looks grest but I have a new idea. 1: make the cemetary on the orchard palet. just playing around, I put craters in the cemetary with the editor and I had a large fire burning. I did'nt seem realistic. 2: can you darken dirt, it looks the same color as the sand stone or vis versa. the new terrain is really cool I spent two hours in the editor just fooling around to see all the things I could make. I like the tomb for asia. Just like the ones I saw when I was staioned in Okinawa. 3:If given the chance, could you release a text file with a description of each building next to its picture. Not sure what some of these things are. thanks for the great work 3rd Recon

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 11
- 5/11/2000 10:02:00 PM   
Nick Papp

quote:

Originally posted by Mac: All the new stuff like the new buildings and such look really great but is it some limit on the part of the code or why haven't you added more trees and grass hexes and such? We could have, but...until you have tried to assemble a new terrain file set, you have know idea how much work is involved on just the art side! ;-) You'd have still been waiting for this game by Christmas!! [B]Of course you just might have been doing those fancy new units and such Well, if you want to retain the looks of the original series, works well. We added what we could, given the time avaialbe, and Mike Wood's programing schedule. There were MANY other things on the "wishlist", but Mike would have had to completely rebuild the graphics engine - which would have been a multi-month proposition in itself. [B]If you have time, please do some more of those. Great game even if you don't and thanks for all the new graphics. Well, I hope and plan for the former, not the latter. Keep checking in for any follow-on patches. Regards, Nick

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 12
- 5/11/2000 10:09:00 PM   
Nick Papp

quote:

Originally posted by 3rd Recon: Hello, I was going to ask for a cemetary, but I found one in the editor under large buildings. It looks grest but I have a new idea. 1: make the cemetary on the orchard palet. just playing around, I put craters in the cemetary with the editor and I had a large fire burning. I did'nt seem realistic. Probably should not have been in the multi-hex kit to start with, but hated to pass this one up. The terrain benefits of the building set are there, but the program sees this as a "building", therefore the crates and burning images. It was a tradeoff, but, we'll see if there is a different way to do this. [B]2: can you darken dirt, it looks the same color as the sand stone or vis versa. Well...They actually draw from the same terrain tileset. We probably would have been better off to call both "dirt" but, too many other things to attend to. I can darken one, but you will see both darkened. I'll probably do a follow on for a real "Sandtone" set you can use. [B]the new terrain is really cool I spent two hours in the editor just fooling around to see all the things I could make. I like the tomb for asia. Just like the ones I saw when I was staioned in Okinawa. Thanks...a testamonial dear freinds!! 3:If given the chance, could you release a text file with a description of each building next to its picture. Not sure what some of these things are. thanks for the great work 3rd Recon
I'll see what I can do, will probably realease a global Terrain Map down the road as well. Regards, Nick

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 13
- 5/11/2000 10:57:00 PM   
Ziggy

I think the art work is great. It looks like you had no problem getting some of the old graphics from WW2 to work in WaW as well- like the UK gliders and stuff. Ziggy

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 14
- 5/11/2000 10:57:00 PM   
Supervisor

Grenadier: Hey man, nice to see a familiar face on the message board!! Okay...knew this would throw people. The horseshoe-shaped image in the "1" multi-hex option is actually a replica of an Okinawaian tomb. Georges Ostermann, who did up SO MANY of th enew buildings, found a picture of it an drew us one. Did not know what Pacific-rim graveyards looked like, so you go tht tomb. And actually these are very large structures - Georges picture has a Sherman M4 hiding in the opening of one!! Now you know. Great, Then I have Okinawan graves in the Oder Valley. What about the round circles next to a barn? Too small for coralls. ------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 15
- 5/11/2000 10:58:00 PM   
3rd Recon

Thanks Nick You guys are on top of things as always. 3rd Recon

(in reply to Nick Papp)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Art, Terrain, Icon Posts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI