Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply Question - 10/31/2016 11:32:19 PM   
Ridinroun

I control Moulmein and Tavoy is a threat. I want to send a large force down the highway and attack rather than by amphibious assault. As long as I hold Moulmein, is that force automatically supplied or do I have to supply it myself and how?
Post #: 1
RE: Supply Question - 10/31/2016 11:48:47 PM   
geofflambert

I think you'll find that building up sufficient supply in Burma for operations takes time, and a lot of it. You can spike that by either an amphib supply convoy or one that unloads in Moulmein. However, these will be exposed to Nells, in particular, so that could go badly. You're not going to be able to hold Moulmein or Rangoon ultimately, so you need to be thinking about how to extricate your troops safely. You've got plenty of supplies and you can spare some xAKLs for sure so go ahead and stuff some supply in there but not under the expectation you're going to hold. You're not.

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 1:07:36 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ridinroun

I control Moulmein and Tavoy is a threat. I want to send a large force down the highway and attack rather than by amphibious assault. As long as I hold Moulmein, is that force automatically supplied or do I have to supply it myself and how?

You didn't say which year you are in, back or front of the development apex?. I'm advancing towards Tavoy at this
moment after having taken Moulmein amphibiously. But this is in May 1943. If you have been able to establish a
fighter base in Moulmein you can protect both your shipping unloading supplies in Moulmein and your advancing
troops. That said, so far I've seen little results in bombing moving ground forces.

Good luck!

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 1:52:19 AM   
Ridinroun

I'm only 6 months in but I already have a large force at Rangoon and Moulmein and fighter cover but lacking bombers for the moment. I have been attacked by air but they have taken a heavy toll and In the last 2 weeks of June 42 I haven't been hit. In previous plays I was under siege by this time at Rangoon and lost Moulmein. This time I moved a large force into moulmein by the beginning of Feb. and I think that is why I'm having a better go of it this time around. The enemy at Tavoy right now numbers 47k. I want to move a force there to tie them up. I don't want to do an amphibious assault against a force that large. I would take too many losses. If I move down the highway from Moulmein I think I would be better off so long as that force is supplied. So, as long as I keep a steady supply into Moulmein, will the force I'm going to be moving down that highway to Tavoy be supplied? I believe that if I don't send a force to Tavoy that they will be coming North soon.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 1:58:23 AM   
Alfred

Read this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=Logistics%2C101

Otherwise you simply are not providing enough info for others to give you a more definitive answer.  Plus you need to learn how logistics work.

Alfred

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 2:57:40 AM   
Ridinroun

You are right. I have no idea how overland supply works. I know how to supply a base but I don't know how to supply an army in the field from the ground or if it can be done. It would be nice if we could form a convoy of trucks like you can ships. All I'm trying to figure out is when my army gets 1-2 hexes from a base, how is it supplied. As long as the route between the army and the base is clear, is that army automatically supplied or do I have to use aircraft to drop supplies in the hex the army is in. In that era you had convoys coming up from the rear to supply but we don't have those units in WIP. It seems that article in the link is focused on bases. I've never seen anything about an army in the field.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 4:03:57 AM   
BBfanboy

Fortunately, most of the supply handling is done automatically and quite efficiently by the AI, so all we need to do is make tweaks here and there when the situation requires.

You need to know that supply flows to where there is demand, and demand is created by things like troops, operations (like bombing missions) and loading ships or aircraft with supply. HQs can draw an extra measure of supply. Surplus supply goes to the largest nearby port because it usually has the best warehouses and transport links.

Then you need to know that supply flows best on major railroads, then on minor railroads, then good hard-surface (gray) roads, then secondary roads (yellow-brown). If there are bases on the road the supply will flow better if they are larger (and undamaged). And on terrain without any transport network it depends on terrain type (press "1" to see the abbreviation for terrain type in each hex). So in your case with excess supply in Moulmein and a good , clear road present the supply will flow easily for many hexes down that route.

Try this: Select the Moulmein hex and press the "5" key and wait patiently (as much as a minute and a half) for the system to calculate and display the supply flow. It will be represented as a series of numbers radiating out from the selected hex (100% of available supply) with diminishing numbers depending on all the flow factors the AI calculated getting to each hex.

Once you get this basic idea of supply flow, go to Alfred's link and learn all the good stuff in there (like what happens in Monsoon season). You can't play the game well without knowing how supply works (and when it won't).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 10:49:17 AM   
geofflambert

I recommend: Do not move south of Moulmein, you will be cut off (red arrow). Also note there is a railroad to Chiang Mai. The IJN will be flanking your entire position (blue arrows). An important target for them will be Paoshan whence they will cut off all supply to China, whether from Rangoon or overland from India. In other words, you won't be "tying up" his troops, you need to block him everywhere and you won't be able to do that for long. Remember you have a small Chinese army that can move into Burma without paying political points.

edit: I forget, the small army I speak of is not permanently restricted to China, but you may have to pay PPs to move into Burma with that force. These are troops that have received training and been organized by Stilwell to be much more efficient than regular Kuomintang troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 11/1/2016 11:09:20 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply Question - 11/1/2016 5:06:10 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I recommend: Do not move south of Moulmein, you will be cut off (red arrow).

The Lizard has it.

So much depends upon factors you have not provided: (1) Difficulty Level of AI (2) Status of Imperial Troops in Philippines/Singapore/Java - are they freed up ? (3) You ability to interdict Japanese transports - have you sunk a ton of them judiciously using your Dutch / American / British ABDA Navy ???

--

In June 1942 those 47K troops you speak of in Tavoy could/should contain some elements of a very powerful Tank Battalion and Special Guards units.

Sending troops to confront them will get them slaughtered.

If you have supply in Moulmein, dig in, dig in, dig in, ohh and by the way dig in some more. Soldier that fox hole will save your life.

Fortifications are friends.

Depending upon the factors not mentioned you may in fact be able to hold and therefore hold all Burma. You may be able to stymie the AI aggression scripts and hang on to a long simmering stand off.

But so much is unknown because only you can appreciate the success / trade offs / freed up Japanese troops that may come to seal the deal.

--

Convoy supplies into Moulmaein will be: (1) attacked by IJN subs, (2) attacked by IJN Surface forces (3) attacked by Japanese Air and some will be successfully sunk.

You will not have an answer for everything.

However you will get / or have now - some Cargo Planes from RAF 221 Squadron or US 10th AF (possibly in Ledo). You could divert those limited numbers of early planes to fly out of i.e. Ledo or Rangoon to supply transport to supplement what you have built up.

It may or may not be enough.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 11/1/2016 5:11:24 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI