Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/17/2016 3:31:14 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

On the "low background" issue, does this mean that iron ore processed today into steel will not be "low background"? Or that scrap is less expensive than "virgin", including "low background" scrap?

I was definitely talking to myself. As you all know, this gorn fellow is a nitwit and on occasion I must intervene.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/17/2016 3:51:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

On the "low background" issue, does this mean that iron ore processed today into steel will not be "low background"? Or that scrap is less expensive than "virgin", including "low background" scrap?

I was definitely talking to myself. As you all know, this gorn fellow is a nitwit and on occasion I must intervene.

I hear you.

And you.

And you too.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 32
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/20/2016 3:05:47 AM   
SheperdN7

A big reason why the possible (probable) salvage is happening is that the steel on those wrecks would be "pre-trinity" steel which, I've been told is far more valuable then steel produced or exposed above sea level after the Trinity tests in July 1945.

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/20/2016 12:43:07 PM   
MakeeLearn

If the salvage occurred because it is better steel, is this steel being used for a certain project.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 34
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/20/2016 4:10:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

If the salvage occurred because it is better steel, is this steel being used for a certain project.

Scientific and medical instruments that measure radiation as part of their function do not want the metal they are made of to mess up their readings. When they split atomic particles to research quarks, they used battleship armour in the measuring chamber to reduce the chance that atmospheric radiation would mess up their experiments.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 35
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/21/2016 7:02:46 PM   
Skyros

From reading the articles, they may be using explosives to tear apart the ships. Wouldn't this potentially set off munitions as well as cause further leakage of fuel that would have been an indication that this salvage was going on?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/21/2016 7:11:58 PM   
BBfanboy

Pictures of rusting hulks I have seen show ammo heavily rusted and I think the impact type fuses are inoperable. It would take quite an explosion to breach the thick wall of a shell. Any cordite propellant would be dissolved away by now.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 37
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/22/2016 2:41:07 PM   
pontiouspilot

The scuttled Imperial German Fleet is said to have been the largest accessible repository of this pre-atom steel. I gather they are still picking through that lot nearly 100 years later.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/22/2016 5:41:50 PM   
Jaroen

According to the Washington Post these are clear legal issues. Shipwrecks do belong to the original country. Indonesian citizens have no legal right to take possession of those shipwrecks. But it certainly looks like the poor local 'wreckers' have found a source of income and got away with it. The Indonesian government is put in an embarrassing position and I believe the world lost a little dignity for not respecting the sacrifice of these victims of war. As Mister Doorman phrased it, SAD.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 39
RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks - 11/23/2016 4:03:17 PM   
Lecivius

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/11/23/wwii-shipwrecks-vanish-after-plundering-by-illegal-scavengers.html

(in reply to Jaroen)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Disappearing Dutch Ship Wrecks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI