Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT where have all the good games gone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT where have all the good games gone? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/14/2016 5:40:42 PM   
Lovejoy

I've never played the original board-game, so I'm not sure if its a new concept that simply shares the concept with the board game. The original release allows for players to take tactical command of various fleets at various battles. For example you can play as Jellicoe or Scheer at the battle of Jutland with accurate fleet composition. However they have released an expansion that allows for players to take operational command of either the Grand Fleet or the High Seas Fleet in the North Sea, and I think they have a Mediterranean campaign as well. For the expansion, you have to consider things such force cohesion and deployment, safety of your ports from enemy submarines, maintenance and training of your fleet units.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 121
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/14/2016 11:11:21 PM   
geofflambert

If I had a Kindle what would I do with all my bookmarks? You know, index cards with stuff written on them I can't remember what they mean. What about all the 3M tabs I have, can I stick them on the Kindle somewhere? Back to the bookmarks. What else would I do with the wrappers from a candy machine in some boring waiting room I use to keep my place in the book I brought there so I wouldn't go out of my mind (or regain sanity, I can't remember which)? I haven't chewed gum in ages, but you could always use a stick as a bookmark til you needed it. I've got jury duty next month, I probably wouldn't get through screening into the courthouse with a Kindle. Back to those index cards. Some of them have passwords I may need at some point though I can't remember what for. What will I do without them? I have a whole deck of those with illegible notes or legible ones who's meaning was lost in the misty mist of the dusky dusk.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 122
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/14/2016 11:20:17 PM   
geofflambert

Yes, I fully expect to get the de rigueur response this forum is famous for, someone enumerating all my newbie questions thus:

1. Book 'em Danno
2. Stick them to your eyebrows to ward off UV rays.
3. Wrap the wrappers around some snow, stick them up your anus and smuggle them into the courthouse for jury duty.
4. ... you know

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 123
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/15/2016 2:59:16 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

I've never played the original board-game, so I'm not sure if its a new concept that simply shares the concept with the board game. The original release allows for players to take tactical command of various fleets at various battles. For example you can play as Jellicoe or Scheer at the battle of Jutland with accurate fleet composition. However they have released an expansion that allows for players to take operational command of either the Grand Fleet or the High Seas Fleet in the North Sea, and I think they have a Mediterranean campaign as well. For the expansion, you have to consider things such force cohesion and deployment, safety of your ports from enemy submarines, maintenance and training of your fleet units.

The original board game Great War At Sea is/was an operational level campaign game of WWI in the Mediterranean. It is a fun game if a little simplistic in its portrayal of the actual combat (rather like the old Avalon Hill games Jutland and Bismark in how it handles the combat and combat damage for your ships). I don't believe that it had a 1914-1918 campaign, but rather it had specific shorter campaigns. The one I specifically recall was the chase of the Goeben.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 124
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/15/2016 7:56:45 AM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

I had it filed on my hard drive under R for Rubbish, have since deleted it. Very simple and not at all to my taste.

Roger

I tried the demo and I agree with you. It is simple, but its simplicity is kind of endearing in its presentation. Definitely not for hardcore grognards like us. If someone wants a simpler game, I suggest going all the way to other end of the spectrum and getting Company of Heroes 2.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 125
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/15/2016 9:20:00 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

A few months back, I looked very hard for a new game while my current AE game was in sabbatical. I looked high and low. I looked mainly for WWII or American Civil War operational or strategic. I especially gave Matrix a hard look, since I was somewhat familiar with WitE and WitW (and less so, but still a bit with the Civil War titles). I ended up concluding that there just isn't anything out there of interest right now.

Since then, the new Strategic Command game has become available. I'm watching it a bit to see how people react. I know that Warspite, Grotius, and Numdyar (three names I recognize from the AE forum) are playing. If it gets stellar reviews, I might be interested. But every game gets stellar reviews at first. Most of them then quickly fall by the wayside. The shelf-lives of WitW and World in Flames, in particular, was not encouraging (the latter not due to the quality of the underlying game, but the warts in how it was assembled for the Matrix iteration of the game).

Thanks for the mention

I am playing SC3. Played 2 games as the Axis. First one gave up on as I messed up production At least I did not have to wait several years (in both game and real time lol) as in AE to find that out

Got a decisive victory by a major flaw in the game. Destroyed the Garrison in London, dropped a para in after Russia fell, and, bam, game over Allies

Playing my third game as the Allies, hardest difficulty, and I really feel like the Allies did in late '41. About to lose

It is a decent game and I have definitely gotten my monies worth and fun value out of it. It definitely gives a WWII feel and has many events/decisions that do a great job on providing replayability and the time period.

I don't think that many here would find the shortcuts made acceptable. Especially in the naval area. One major issue that I and others have pointed out is you can surround a dud with six surface ships and the sub can't move to get away lol.

But like I said, I have found it fun and it has been worth the cost. BTW the manual is awesome. So if you get it, buy the boxed version if you can swing it.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 126
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/15/2016 9:23:46 PM   
Numdydar

Rule the Waves may be a game that could peak the interest of the people here 😊

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 127
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/15/2016 11:18:13 PM   
Mobeer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar
Rule the Waves may be a game that could peak the interest of the people here 😊

I've considered it a few times. The idea looks interesting but the graphics are a complete turn-off.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 128
RE: OT where have all the good games gone? - 12/16/2016 7:55:50 PM   
Numdydar

You say that and you play AE lol.

And here I thought it was all about the realistic modeling and graphics had nothing to do with these games As I sure do not play AE because of its great graphics . Or even adequate graphics.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 129
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT where have all the good games gone? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI