Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hybrid Counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Hybrid Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/15/2017 5:35:31 AM   
HimAgain

Hi All,

Here’s the latest update.
With Italy bowing out so early I’m going to have to fill in some of the gaps in the Tech upgrade tree with German equipment once I’ve finished them.

There's light at the end of the tunnel. Only two more to go!
Germany is next.

Cheers,

Angus

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 61
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/23/2017 6:35:43 PM   
HimAgain

Hi All,

Still plugging away here. Below is a partial update of the progress on the German Flak and Rocket Artillery upgrade tree. They have such a variety of equipment, it’s tough to decide what to include.

I never thought it would take this long but I hope to be done soon.

Any comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Angus

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 62
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/23/2017 8:02:03 PM   
BillRunacre

They look very good to me!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 63
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/23/2017 9:53:06 PM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

They look very good to me!

Yeah, and to me too!

Richard

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 64
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/28/2017 10:30:50 PM   
FF_1079

You are doing a wonderful job with your silhouette choices, this will be an awesome mod when it is finished.

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 65
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/29/2017 10:09:56 PM   
HimAgain

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback guys (Bill, Richard and FF_1079). I’m getting close to finishing so I’m going to minimize my tweaking in order to get it out there. But I had to make some adjustments to the 105mm along with some other minor changes. I messed up on the scale and it was simply too big.

Below are some heavy artillery, rockets and assorted rolling stock updates. You will note that Goebbels “Atlantic Wall” propaganda is in full swing.

Next up is my biggest challenge. The German Anti-Tank and Tank Corps.

There are simply so many options to choose from and too few slots available. There’s gonna be a few disappointed WoT players when they don’t see the Maus. (BTW, I prefer WarThunder. Much better graphics if you can suffer the Russian bias)
e.g.
Does the 37mm deserve slot 0, while the 50mm, 75mm, 88mm Pak's are all excellent anti-tank weapons, which do you leave out?
As Germany’s most produced AFV StuG III has to make an appearance somewhere.
The best balanced SP Anti-Tank vehicle had to be the JagdPanther; not the JagdTiger.
The best bang for your buck was probably the Hetzer.

The Germans were probably better off concentrating on pumping out the diminutive Hetzer rather than wasting resources on monster tanks like the Maus. It was more than capable of dealing with most Allied tanks and would only be hard-pressed against a few Russian heavies. Then again, da Fuhrer never met a mega Tank he didn’t like.

History has taught us that wasting too many resources on research as the Germans did, was literally counterproductive. Reaching level 5 Tech in the game must mean you’ve spent too much on research while you should have being producing numbers, unless you were swimming in resources. Perhaps an exponential rather than linear research cost might be in order. We’ll see how easy it is too max out in any research level. (I’ve yet to really play the game)

The ultimate resource waste had to be the megalomaniacal weapon which was Dora/Gustav. I’ve included it in the 2 slot not because it was better than the K5, but as a monument to the sheer size and lunacy of the thing. Clearly, avoiding the road to the eastern front was to stroke Hitler's ego and present him with any such uber Monster projekt, just to keep busy. Having said all that, I must admit it’s bloody impressive.

OK, now that the Blue Jays appear to be out of it, I can concentrate on finishing this thing.

Thanks all,

Angus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HimAgain -- 7/30/2017 12:39:58 AM >

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 66
RE: Hybrid Counters - 7/30/2017 9:38:54 AM   
BillRunacre

I was reading your commentary before scrolling down to see the graphics, and now see that you weren't exaggerating in the slightest about the Atlantic Wall propaganda!

< Message edited by Bill Runacre -- 7/30/2017 9:39:12 AM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 67
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/10/2017 3:09:34 PM   
Benedict151

Really looking forward to seeing these finished!

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 68
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/10/2017 8:22:44 PM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Benedict151

Really looking forward to seeing these finished!

+1

Richard

(in reply to Benedict151)
Post #: 69
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/17/2017 5:23:19 AM   
HimAgain

Hi all,

The German roster is complete. Finally.

I’m about to post the update before moving on to the last one. The Axis Minor group which should not take too long.

Before I post it I’m hoping for some input from the group.
The most prolific HQ unit will be Guderian unless you start upgrading the units Air Defense attribute.

Which image would you prefer?
The studio portrait on the right or the candid pic of him on the left as he appeared on the battlefield?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/17/2017 6:43:25 AM   
sPzAbt653

They look about the same to me. Which one would he like ?

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 71
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/17/2017 8:40:41 PM   
Cataphract88

Left for me.

Richard

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 72
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/18/2017 5:37:46 AM   
HimAgain

Hi All,

Here are the Germans.

I ended up eating my words on the Maus and the Jagdtiger.
Sorry about the Heavy/Strategic bombers. There was only a catalog of aborted and failed projects to choose from except for a couple of inspired designs.

I will eventually release a version with unit variations replacing the 3D icons. You’ll notice a second fighter progression which is an example but that would take too long right now. I’m focusing on getting this version completed.
I don’t believe the transport units on the bottom will appear unless you use the 3D icons. I’ll find out when I do some more testing.

Hope you like them.

For now it’s on to the last group.

Cheers,

Angus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HimAgain -- 8/18/2017 12:34:39 PM >

Post #: 73
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/18/2017 11:46:58 PM   
Cataphract88

A very nice job.

Richard

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 74
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/19/2017 6:18:21 AM   
SIPRES

Hi Angus,

Really good and massive job.
If you wish I can make a campaign with your counters wich should allow HQ choosen commander display (not only depends on AA upgrade).
But for this 1 of the vanilla upgrades had to be sacrified.

here is a sample of a campaign I am working on

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 75
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/19/2017 6:16:05 PM   
HimAgain

Hi Sipres,

Yes! Absolutely! That's the best offer I've had in a while. You know that's been my ultimate goal for this Mod.

Let me finish this last Minor Axis Group and complete this project first. I wanted to complete a vanilla Mod which can be used with the widest possible compatibility by not introducing any other changes other than just graphics.

Then, for your idea, I'll have to go back and complete the profiles for each country's HQ roster.

BTW, what are you working on there? It looks like a very small scale mod.
Your "Another counter mod" is my favourite graphic mod so far.

I really appreciate your kind offer and and will get back to you as soon as I finish this.

Also, thanks go out to Bill, Richard, FF_1079, sPzAbt653, yourself and any others that I've missed for your encouragement and advice. It's been a monumental undertaking for me so far. Your feedback keeps me going.

Cheers,

Angus

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 76
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/21/2017 10:38:46 PM   
SIPRES

Hi Angus,

I will do the campaign file after you release the counters.
For this I think I will disable the "Rocket" upgrade. I will change name to something like ("custom HQ Display")
This upgrade will be 0MPP cost with a max capability (5) for all nations, and will have no "combat/defense" effect on HQ unit.
Then it will allow to upgrade every HQ to the prefered image (in Editor or even during gameplay/Purchase screen).

The limit will be only 6 possible displays, but still better than the current vanilla version
On other hand I will keep the Anti Air and mobility capabilities for HQ.

The campaign I work on is operation Husky at regimental scale, but still a lot to do (all stats to mod, Art ranges ect...)

Christophe

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 77
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/23/2017 3:47:13 PM   
dave123

Hello. Please excuse my ignorance if this has been addressed, but I would really like to get these and use them in unmodded PBEM SC!

Is this possible? If so, how. Looking at this thread, I gather they have not been released yet, but I see mention of mod's. Just hoping they
will work with he vanilla game. Heck, IMO, they are more than good enough now, even without further tweaks. Now if I could only find and install them...

I use the nato graphics, but they don't show the upgrades of enemy units, this would fix that glaring problem for sure!

thanx

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 78
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/24/2017 10:27:49 AM   
nnason

All,
Same question as Dave. A mod should state explicitly whether it can be used in PBEM and what code version and whether both players need to have the mod installed.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to dave123)
Post #: 79
RE: Hybrid Counters - 8/24/2017 6:20:15 PM   
SIPRES

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave123

Hello. Please excuse my ignorance if this has been addressed, but I would really like to get these and use them in unmodded PBEM SC!

Is this possible? If so, how. Looking at this thread, I gather they have not been released yet, but I see mention of mod's. Just hoping they
will work with he vanilla game. Heck, IMO, they are more than good enough now, even without further tweaks. Now if I could only find and install them...

I use the nato graphics, but they don't show the upgrades of enemy units, this would fix that glaring problem for sure!

thanx

Hi Dave123

I am not a PBEM player, but As long as the Mod involve graphics only, I cant see any blocking point.
Just install the counters files on your Drive and thats all.

In case of a Modded campaign file, I think both player will have to install the same Campaign file in order to work correctly by PBEM.

The Purpose of this MOD was first to provide new counters design to the Game with tech levels silhouette (so graphic mod only), then Angus wanted a solution to add some flexibility for HQ display (for This I will tweak a little the vanilla 1939 campaign)

So far Angus did a crazy job, so please wait release then we can add a "How to install and use" Instruction.

Christophe

(in reply to dave123)
Post #: 80
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/6/2017 3:43:25 AM   
HimAgain

Hi All,

I’m happy to announce that I’ve finally reached the point that this counter Mod can be used.

Thanks SIPRES for addressing the earlier concerns with regards to the compatibility. It is only a graphic mod which can be copied to any existing saved campaign that you’ve already created and that was working with the standard NATO counters. It was also never in the scope of this project to work in any view except the most zoomed in level.

Below is a screenshot of a portion of the Minor Axis units, most of which are not even available to be purchased but someone may design a future mode that can use them.
The minor Generals/HQ units appear without flags in this screenshot but the respective national flags will appear once they are deployed on the game map.

Looking back at the first ones that I completed they look crude by comparison now. Nor were they as well fleshed out. e.g. American destroyers and trucks don’t have progressive silhouettes while most of the others do. In testing I found that some of the greyed out low readiness unit strength values get a little difficult to read on some of the HQ units and lighter coloured minor Axis units.

At some point I hope to go back and correct these issues but for now, these should be usable. I also plan on releasing a set to replace the 3D units with these same NATO counters. This will allow the counters to switch to face the enemy and allow the mechanized/air transport units to flash onto the screen during movement.

Please keep in mind that you can’t really control which General’s portrait appears, but SIPRES has kindly offered to create a Campaign Mod which will allow you to control them. More on this later.

I’ve exported all the graphics files to a Bitmap folder ready to be uploaded and I’m asking for some guidance from the more experienced members on what the best way is to get this out to the user community. (sPzAbt653, I’m hoping to lean on your expertise)
I’ve read in some others posts that not all the files sharing services work as advertised.

Cheers Angus.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HimAgain -- 9/6/2017 4:09:36 AM >

(in reply to SIPRES)
Post #: 81
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 12:43:48 AM   
Cataphract88

This looks great 'in-game' and thanks very much for making this available.

The only problem I have encountered is that the Soviet units do not seem to alter to the new versions included. Anyone else having this problem?

Richard

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 82
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 2:13:27 AM   
HimAgain

Hi Richard,

My apologies. I did not see that during my testing but it is clearly happening now.
Something is going on that I don't understand.

Let me investigate and I will get back to you.

Angus.

Post #: 83
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 3:53:29 AM   
Hairog

I often forget when using paint.net to switch from .pdn to .png when saving. Could something like that be the problem?

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 84
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 6:43:05 AM   
SIPRES

Hello Angus,

Really impressive work.
I will prepare 1939 campaign file this Week End + how to use counter display "function".

Could you tell me for AXIS and ALLIED minors HQ who's who?
What I mean is I want as much as possible to display correct image HQ vs minor Nation.

here is what I need for both axis/Allied minors HQs:

For example:
MINOR AXIS
Tech0 counter: Romanian Leader picture?
Tech1 counter: Hungarian Leader picture?
Tech2 counter: Finnish Leader picture?
ect...

MINOR ALLIED
Tech0 counter: Canadian Leader picture?
Tech1 counter: Belgium Leader picture?
Tech2 counter: Greece Leader picture?
ect...

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 85
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 3:40:41 PM   
HimAgain

Hi Richard,

I’ve got a potential fix, but I’m still not sure what happened.

I simply manually copied over the file from the zipped folder to the correct location and it’s working again. Are you using Windows 7 like I am?

In the meantime please locate the original unzipped Bitmaps folder and browse to the Major_04 Folder.
In there you will find a file called unit_sprites_nato.png. Please right click on the file and select copy. Then browse to the campaign folder which you are using. From there, browse to the same Major_04 folder, right click, select paste and overwrite the existing file.

Example saved Campaign folder path on my computer:
D:\Users\HimAgain\Documents\my games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns\_1939 Storm over Europe Mod\Bitmaps\Major_04

Restart the game and check the Russians icons.
Mine started working again.

There is something strange about the Russian counters. Something may have gone wrong when the files were originally copied over from my Mod.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks,

Angus.

Post #: 86
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 4:32:01 PM   
cdcool

Where is the download?
Thanks!

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 87
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 4:46:27 PM   
HimAgain

Hi Cdcool,

Please check back on post 3 on the first page of the thread.

Hope you like them.

Cheers,

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 88
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 4:55:22 PM   
cdcool

quote:

ORIGINAL: HimAgain

Hi Cdcool,

Please check back on post 3 on the first page of the thread.

Hope you like them.

Cheers,

Okay will do! Thanks Good work!

(in reply to HimAgain)
Post #: 89
RE: Hybrid Counters - 9/8/2017 6:35:17 PM   
HimAgain

Hi SIPRES,

Below is a summary of all the Generals listed in order of appearance and in text form just for clarification. (I always get the French Generals mixed up myself)
I did not necessarily stick to the HQ rosters as provided in the game. Clearly there will need to be some compromises made.

As discussed earlier, what should have been done was to lump the Poles in with all the Minor Allies instead of the Canadians. I’m not sure how elaborate your Mod will be but if you wanted to utilize the empty Major 6 slot or move around the Poles as discussed above, I can create the other minor country generals. Or if you want to swap out some of selections I’ve made, please let me know and I will try to accommodate you as much as possible.

A point I was thinking about which you may already considered; would not all the HQ units have to be predefined in a one player game? Having the ability to change the profile yourself is great but in a one player game, you can’t very well be changing the enemy’s HQ attributes during play.

As it is now it will be much like the Allies D-Day spoof of Patton controlling a fictitious army and appearing everywhere at once!

HQ/Generals in order of appearance and Tech Level in my screen shot below

Major 1 Britain:
Lord Gort
Montgomery
Alexander
Auchinleck
Brooke
O'Conner

Major 2 France:
Gamelin
Hutzinger
Besson
Billotte
Weygand
De Gaulle

Major 3 USA
Bradley
Hodges
Eisenhower
Patton
Truscott
Clark

Major 4 Russia
Timoshenko
Zhukov
Chernyakhovsky
Konev
Rokossovsky
Tolbukin

Major 5 Poland
Ridz Smigly

Major 7 Germany
Guderian
Rommel
Von Manstein
Von Rundstedt
Kesselring
Model

Major 8 Italy
Graziani
Garboldi
Balbo
Guzzoni
Giovanni Messe
Annibale Bergonzoli

Allied Minor (mostly Canadian)
Harry Crerar CAN
Guy Simonds CAN
Andrew McNaughton CAN
George Kitching CAN
Leslie Morshead Australian (of Tobruk fame)
John Hamilton Roberts Can

Axis Minor
Mannerheim Finland 0
Jozsef Heszlenyi Hungary 0
Petre Dumitrescu Romania 0
Ivan Marinov Bulgaria 0
Dezso_Laszlo Hungary 1
Leonard Mociulschi Romania 1

(I had this in chart form but it did not paste well into post)

Cheers,

Angus

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Hybrid Counters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI