Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I got a "worried" email

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I got a "worried" email Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I got a "worried" email - 5/16/2001 9:44:00 AM   
Pack Rat

I recieved an email from a long standing member of the forum, who expressed several points of concern about the latest version of WAW. So in case there are others here is my reply. He stated concern that a patch was issued so close to the release of the game. My answer: Be glad. Matrix is fast, unlike the vast majority of gaming companys that are out there. But more to his point, you can't release this scope of change with out some problems, it just can't be done. If Matrix had a year or so to do this, I'm sure there wouldn't be as many and when all is boiled down I don't think there will be that many. Most will be peeks and pokes to fine tune. We as a group put the pressure on and Matrix gave us something very good in a very short time as things like this go. He voiced concern about having to tweak his system to run the game. My answer: If you ran 4.5 the chances are you'll have to do nothing to run the new version. However if you can't there is a strong chance we can get you going with very easy fixes. Things that many of us have done long ago to our systems. I stress the word easy here, very simple walk throughs. I would say however again VERY few will have to do such a thing. In light of all the bug reports I had said I liked the game, did I mean it. My answer: You f***ing betcha!! I had thought before that 4.5 was the best there ever has been and so far (I haven't played all the new features yet) what I have seen is great. I have already said it is the best. What word would you use to say it is even better still? Most have read the list of what has been added/tweaked in the game, well I've found two things that weren't even mentioned, I mean sheeze that is so cool. With the scope of all that is in this game, errors will happen, but Matrix has already said another patch will come when the dust settles and things are reported, I know it will I was kind of surprised to get the email to begin with. So maybe my voice carries some kind of weight I wasn't aware of, most likly not. However when your CD arrives, it will play just fine and it will be like no other, ever, anywhere. Matrix is the best and they've proved it again. Best Regards Pack Rat

PR
Post #: 1
- 5/16/2001 10:20:00 AM   
Eagle-Talon

Hi Pack Rat, I can only agree with you 110%.The crew at Matrix have done a fantastic job with this programe. I run this game on a PII 333 celeron,64 meg ram and a Voodoo3 2000 and SPWaw V5.01 runs very well and Im sure that the MC cd will run just as well. I think we should all be patient,report the bugs we find and Matrix will do the rest. [ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Eagle-Talon ]

Ten men wisely lead can beat a hundred without a head.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2001 10:27:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Well said.... Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2001 3:59:00 PM   
Antonius

To my experience, running games on any PC is a lottery. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it won't work at all, sometimes it works only after minor or major tweaks... To my experience also, SPWAW is one of the games that I can run with no problem at all. I can even play it with all backgrounds programs running; like virus scanning. Last but not least, this is indeed my favorite game. I do play plenty of games, but SPWAW is the one I always end up playing or toying with at some point of my playing sessions and I always make sure that all my PBEMing includes a fair share of SPWAW :)

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2001 4:06:00 PM   
Stukadawg

If I said I was anything other than happy with what Matrix has done to Steel Panthers, my nose would be quite long indeed. My first version was 5.0 so I don't know how buggy the older versions were but most people sound like they were pleased with 4.5 and yet say that version 5 is even better. All I can really say is: Thanks Matrix.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2001 9:05:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

We certainly appreciate the supprot and share concerns over teh game not working as well on some machiesas other. With wide range of "compatable" sysstems out there even games that extreme amopunts of testing wide Beta testing (like CM , EU , and CC series) have reports on the usenet and compnay sites of CTD errors, video or audio problems etc. We have tried to ensure teh widest compatibility, but often ther is 5% that have problems and "fixing" the problem for those 5% just shifts the problem group to a different 5%. We have don our darnest to ensure teh widest cross platform Windows compatibility and right now only NT4.0 has know systemic problems. We have users that have played for months with no crashs on WIN95, WIN 98, WIN ME, WIn2K and even reports of good result on WINE on LINUX machines. We apologize to those of you having problems, but in some cases a certain OS and machine configuration just have problems and there is no way to verify every possible combination. we thank you again for the support you fans have given us, fairly balencing for the most part praise and constructive criticism. We hope to improve the compatability of our future games,but there likely will always be at least a 2% "grey area" no matter what we do just because of the nature of the PC.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2001 2:03:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Software has bugged us in the past (nice pun there eh), it will bug us today, and it will certainly bug us in the future. There quite frankly is no such thing as perfect software. I happen to know that after much developement effort, the new ASL Rules 2nd edition is already posting errata. Hey its not just software that has trouble, its anything that attempts a high order of perfection that has troubles. I think 5.01 looks great. And I would be shocked, genuinely shocked if it had no flaws. I would gladly buy the Mega Game cd, knowing full well it will in 6 months it could well be a coaster, because a new version may arrive that will outperform it. Recently I tried to reload my nuimber 2 most favourite wargame cd. It wouldnt load. I loaded then poof vanished. It was driving me nuts. Cause I had already played it before. So i KNEW it worked. But in the interval of removing it and the reloading it, my Direct X software had evolved to a higher version. And my Operational Art of War cd just didnt like the new Direct X. Point is, sometimes a bug isnt really a bug. Sometimes your old buddy software, just doesnt like some new kid on the block software that moved next door while it was away or something. If 5.01 gives you grief, dont automatically blame it. It just might not like some new element you added to its environment (although I have heard some reports that sem indicative of teeny slip ups, but that is something you just gotta live with). Hey just be glad that Steel Panthers runs better than f*****g Windows any bloody version.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2001 12:11:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys While I let everyone have a little rest (Not Paul) :p we are fixing up some site issues and are seeing if we can do about a future tactical game. We have taken this engine about as far as it can go. The more we add the more we go into the danger zone or need to increase ram etc. We know that this version is the most stable of the releases. A lot of playtesting and work went into this design. We are taking notes and will be fixing the few scenario errors, OOB, and game engine errors that we can. So what am I saying, YES there will be a v5.2. When you ask, I am not sure, but it will not be until the CD are in gamers hand and everyone has a real chance to play the game. I am also sure the that the upgrade will be small. Matrix has and will always stand by everything it does! Once again thank you for sticking with us.... trust us we have great things planed! :cool: [ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: David Heath ]

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 8
- 5/17/2001 7:18:00 PM   
jambo1

Firstly Bravo Zulu to the team, and secondly WHAT PC problems? and WHAT bugs? I have 5.0 running on a P2 300MMX 60mgsRAM and so far no problems, and sorting out OOB problems is part of the fun. Maybe that's just me! ;)

Ya only live til ya die!

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 9
- 5/17/2001 8:14:00 PM   
macnab

Hi packrat ivegot v4.5 and think its tops i am at the moment d/loading v5.01 and cant wait to run it thanks to you all for your dedicaition and hard work and shareing it with us theres not a game like it bye :rolleyes:

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I got a "worried" email Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI