Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Extreme newbie question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Extreme newbie question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Extreme newbie question - 2/5/2017 3:29:30 PM   
stolypin

I'm playing one of the shorter / introductory scenarios and I am finding that after the AI moves and a new turns begins, one of my HQ units has moved far to the rear of where it was when I ended my previous turn. I assume that is because the AI moved a unit next to it at some point during the AI turn. (I am using FOW).

Can I avoid this by having the HQ stack with a combat unit?
Post #: 1
RE: Extreme newbie question - 2/5/2017 4:05:48 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: stolypin

I'm playing one of the shorter / introductory scenarios and I am finding that after the AI moves and a new turns begins, one of my HQ units has moved far to the rear of where it was when I ended my previous turn. I assume that is because the AI moved a unit next to it at some point during the AI turn. (I am using FOW).

Can I avoid this by having the HQ stack with a combat unit?

Yes.

Same also happens to airbases or other units with no ground combat value. Casualties will have been inflicted as a result. So long as a combat unit does not move by a combat defeat, stacking on it will prevent others being moved this way.

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 2
RE: Extreme newbie question - 2/5/2017 4:08:26 PM   
flatsix518

If you leave a HQs (alone) adjacent to even an enemy hex it can be automatically relocated, even if an enemy unit does not move next to it. It will be highlighted in RED if it is at risk of this. And, if an enemy unit moves next to it, it will be auto-relocated.

Yes, stacking with a combat unit will prevent this.

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 3
RE: Extreme newbie question - 2/5/2017 4:16:00 PM   
stolypin

Thanks for the quick replies.

(in reply to flatsix518)
Post #: 4
RE: Extreme newbie question - 2/5/2017 5:36:45 PM   
RoflCopter4

Please note also that when this happens all of the supply dumps in that HQ are lost, with some actually stolen by the perfidious enemy for his own use. This is pretty devastating for Germany in the first few turns because your supply will not catch up for a little while at least and those dumps really do help. Do everything you can do avoid this happening.

Also notable is that any unit that ends a turn on the front (ie in contact with the enemy) will suffer attrition, and because HQ units are relatively large in manpower the attrition they suffer can be rather high and annoying too. Usually best to keep them behind the front slightly. But of course this is not always possible because of the possibility of them being bumped into and suffering the forced relocation with even higher casualties than attrition and also the loss of dumps as mentioned above. Pick your poison basically.

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 5
RE: Extreme newbie question - 2/6/2017 11:26:45 AM   
stolypin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoflCopter4

Please note also that when this happens all of the supply dumps in that HQ are lost, with some actually stolen by the perfidious enemy for his own use. This is pretty devastating for Germany in the first few turns because your supply will not catch up for a little while at least and those dumps really do help. Do everything you can do avoid this happening.

Also notable is that any unit that ends a turn on the front (ie in contact with the enemy) will suffer attrition, and because HQ units are relatively large in manpower the attrition they suffer can be rather high and annoying too. Usually best to keep them behind the front slightly. But of course this is not always possible because of the possibility of them being bumped into and suffering the forced relocation with even higher casualties than attrition and also the loss of dumps as mentioned above. Pick your poison basically.

Great info, thanks.

(in reply to RoflCopter4)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Extreme newbie question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI