Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: WW2 pilot at 100

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: WW2 pilot at 100 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 7:08:51 AM   
Chris21wen

I wonder if I've still got all my faculties at 100 let alone fly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-38838973
Post #: 1
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 7:30:36 AM   
wdolson

A friend of my father's flew pathfinder Mosquitoes in the 8th AF during the war. At 96 he went to eastern Canada to fly the restored Mossie there. They let him take the controls for a bit. Unfortunately not long after he got back he caught a cold that turned into pneumonia and he died.

My father said a few years ago he was getting tired of going to funerals. He'll be 97 in 9 days.

I went to my father's aunt's 100th birthday, she was chasing people out of the kitchen. She was taking care of her younger brother who was 99.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 11:12:27 AM   
btd64

Bill, tell your father happy birthday for me and thank you for his service....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 11:14:09 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

A friend of my father's flew pathfinder Mosquitoes in the 8th AF during the war. At 96 he went to eastern Canada to fly the restored Mossie there. They let him take the controls for a bit. Unfortunately not long after he got back he caught a cold that turned into pneumonia and he died.

My father said a few years ago he was getting tired of going to funerals. He'll be 97 in 9 days.

I went to my father's aunt's 100th birthday, she was chasing people out of the kitchen. She was taking care of her younger brother who was 99.

Bill

Congrats Bill!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 9:58:06 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Bill, tell your father happy birthday for me and thank you for his service....GP

If I ever get him on the phone again. He's been in a dark place lately and quit answering the phone. He broke his hip last fall and when they went in to do a hip replacement they found the bones were good enough just to put in a rod and some pins. He's been in assisted living since and he keeps trying to get out of there, but he really isn't healthy enough to be back at home anymore. When pressed about the assisted living place he can't really come up with any complaints, he has his own room, social interaction when he wants it as well as peace and quiet when he wants it, someone else does the cooking and after I talked to them about his allergy to peppers he's said the food is pretty good. But he is dead set on going home where he can be miserable.

His mind was quite sharp before the surgery, but I think he's had some brain damage from the anesthetic, which can happen with elderly surgery patients. He has more trouble tracking details than he used to. Between his escape attempts and his memory problems, it's really tough on my sister who was always closer to him (and because she's closer geographically, she gets the call when he pulls something).

I'm accepting that he is into the twilight of a long life. He's told both my sister and I he's done and ready to go, but his overall health is good enough he's not on death's doorstep yet. He's pointed out the only things wrong with him are mechanical. He broke the hip because the knee on that side is bad and cuts out without warning. All his internal systems are chugging along fine. He did have a cold around the 1st of the year that almost turned to pneumonia, but he recovered and from what I hear he's doing OK, even if he is grumpy.

Bill

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/10/2017 10:13:10 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

If I ever get him on the phone again. He's been in a dark place lately and quit answering the phone. He broke his hip last fall and when they went in to do a hip replacement they found the bones were good enough just to put in a rod and some pins. He's been in assisted living since and he keeps trying to get out of there, but he really isn't healthy enough to be back at home anymore. When pressed about the assisted living place he can't really come up with any complaints, he has his own room, social interaction when he wants it as well as peace and quiet when he wants it, someone else does the cooking and after I talked to them about his allergy to peppers he's said the food is pretty good. But he is dead set on going home where he can be miserable.

His mind was quite sharp before the surgery, but I think he's had some brain damage from the anesthetic, which can happen with elderly surgery patients. He has more trouble tracking details than he used to. Between his escape attempts and his memory problems, it's really tough on my sister who was always closer to him (and because she's closer geographically, she gets the call when he pulls something).

I'm accepting that he is into the twilight of a long life. He's told both my sister and I he's done and ready to go, but his overall health is good enough he's not on death's doorstep yet. He's pointed out the only things wrong with him are mechanical. He broke the hip because the knee on that side is bad and cuts out without warning. All his internal systems are chugging along fine. He did have a cold around the 1st of the year that almost turned to pneumonia, but he recovered and from what I hear he's doing OK, even if he is grumpy.

Bill

Bill,

Sorry about your dads condition(hating the living arrangements). If you want to talk about it, Email me your phone number. As both my wife and I have long since lost both of our parents, I do have some insight in this area....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/11/2017 8:01:41 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill,

Sorry about your dads condition(hating the living arrangements). If you want to talk about it, Email me your phone number. As both my wife and I have long since lost both of our parents, I do have some insight in this area....GP

I truly appreciate the offer, but I'm OK. I remember my father's mother's last few years. It was almost constant drama and at its worst this is better than that. She was not a nice person and did everything she could to make my parents' lives hell. Share the misery.

In addition my SO has been through it with 4 parents/parent figures. Her mother died when she was in her 20s (she was more relieved than anything else, her mother was a fair bit like a certain reality star that recently got into politics). Her father remarried someone who was better for him, but hated her. She had to handle everything when she got cancer and died because her own son was a serious alcoholic (more than a case of beer a day). Next she had her father go, who she was very close to. He was an uber mensch and just about the perfect father. She was also adopted by her mother-in-law from her first marriage who was the closest thing she ever had to a real mother. She died from a super-bug after gall bladder surgery. The last three all happened in a span of about 5 years.

My sister is the one who needs support. I've heard her breakdown and cry twice in my life, she's usually very, very reserved, but she broke down on the phone to me a few weeks ago. 2016 was a horrible year for her. Her business went from pretty strong to no business until December last year (the oil business is pretty much in a depression right now). She had to lay off her entire staff and was living on her savings (which are pretty healthy after about 15 very strong business years), then she had a cat and two horses die and a second cat get diagnosed with diabetes, her mate of 25 years is pretty much dying of congenital heart failure and he's refused to do anything with his extensive collection of classic cars (and several outbuildings full of parts), his ex-wife and one of his kids has some mental health problems that she sometimes needs to deal with because he won't, and then my father's stuff on top of everything else. My year last year was not great, but it was nowhere as bad as hers.

Bill

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/11/2017 11:14:38 AM   
btd64

Bill, OK, you know where to find me....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/12/2017 7:10:59 AM   
wdolson

You're a mensch.

Bill

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: WW2 pilot at 100 - 2/12/2017 11:00:35 AM   
btd64

quote:

You're a mensch.

Bill

Thank you....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: WW2 pilot at 100 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI