Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/17/2017 9:01:48 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Anyways....on to more important stuff.

The BBC have made a 5-part mini-series based on Len Deighton's SS-GB and it starts this Sunday - Huzzah!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1gFzPFGN3LBfLH31vHsPPS8/alt-britain-how-ss-gb-turned-london-nazi

Excellent! I wonder if or when we'll get to see it on this side of the pond.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/17/2017 9:34:58 AM   
wdolson

PBS will probably run it. If not, BBC America will and it will likely be available through Netflix. These days most programming made on one side of the pond makes it to the other. With all the outlets for content now, programmers are always looking for more programming and for the producers of content, it's easy money to sell a program overseas. Even if audiences hate it in another country at least they make a few bucks first.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 62
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/17/2017 1:05:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

I agree that Saving Private Ryan did *not* glorify the killing of prisoners. They simply showed it. Using that character to kill a prisoner at the end did not show that his moral objection was misplaced, it showed the moral journey that many people make in such circumstances.

And it showed those things without glorification or condemnation so you had to see it and consider it for yourself.

Maybe, but what was actually communicated to me was not that, and apparently was not that to some of the others who were in the theatre with me way back in 1999.

In any case, I'm a man who is an enigma. I do not believe any gods, but I sure as hell believe in enlightenment narratives. As such, my internal moral barometer is, partially at least, aligned to Stonewall Jackson--even in war there comes a time when killing another human being becomes "simply murder."

And for me, killing someone who has surrendered, or in the process of surrender, regardless of their nationality, regardless of what they are fighting for, regardless of what they've done, and regardless of how they would treat you if your positions were reversed, is simply murder.

All that said, I do understand. One of the many reasons war is so terrible is that it sometimes turns good people into murderers. That's a bit of the real story of war that always deserves a telling.

You are saying you want every depiction salted with moral commentary. I think it is useful and necessary to have many depictions to which that is not done.

I also went to the theater when SPR debuted and I did not see justification. I saw "Here is reality. Understand it. figure out how to deal with it." And that helps people to think about how to make a better world.

Obviously, your mileage varies.

Every depiction does come with moral commentary. Like ideology it attaches itself everywhere. And my version of moral commentary is just depicting something the way it actually is.

So, like in Band of Brothers or Letters From Iwo Jima, there are Americans killing POWs. In both cases time was spent to show those POWs as human beings who had a lot in common with the Americans who were killing them.

In Band of Brothers, which was longer form, great care was taken to show that:

1. The person who murdered the POWs made the decision based on the psychological trauma of war, not because a guy promised to surrender and showed back up in a German uniform fighting Americans again, and not just because the prisoners he killed had fought Americans;

2. The person who murdered the POWs was traumatized by his decision to do so;

3. Others who served with the person were traumatized by the act; and

4. Ultimately, the person who killed the POWs is painstakingly redeemed

At no point in that story arc was the complexity of war or the moral situation left out. The moral commentary, such that it exists, is present only in as much as the series shows some of the reality that is the killing of POWs.

Really I think the context changes how a film maker should tell such stories. For instance, with an American film, for an American audience telling the story of American soldiers in the Second World War, it is much more difficult for that audience to empathize with the German or Japanese POW.

I will say this, I think if you were to make a film of the Malmedy massacre where the German soldiers were portrayed in a similar way, and the killing of Allied POWs was even vaguely justified in the film narrative, you would have many, many people upset. And rightly so I think.

In any case, I do not think we necessarily disagree. I think, if anything, I am merely painting with a finer brush.

No, I think we do disagree. I think it is useful to have such incidents shown without adding those things. I am not saying always refrain from adding those things. But definitely requiring that they always be included is not helpful. If we always do the thinking for other people they will neither learn to think nor be practiced at it.
warspite1

Indeed. We don't always need to show that the person taking such action is traumatised by it.

Indeed showing that all participants are traumatised can be misleading and another example of airbrushing history. It's like saying "hey guys we did this too, but unlike the Germans we were really sorry".

Going back to the example of SS troops in Normandy. How many troops would have felt they had done something bad? Human nature being what it is, I suspect there would be a range of emotions from individual to individual. But given La Paradis, Wormhoudt and other incidents, I would not necessarily think badly of a soldier who didn't feel like crying because he had just ended the life of a piece of SS scum.

My uncle was early 20's by 1944 (he joined up at the time of Munich). He had only recently been married and with a baby daughter that he had hardly seen. He witnessed a Lt in his battalion get decapitated by a shell.

I can't begin to understand - much less be critical of - his thinking during that battle. Did he personally kill any Germans? Sadly I never got to speak to him adult to adult - although I don't know if he would have told me anyway. He never appeared troubled by what happened (although who knows what goes on inside someone's head) but does that make him bad, does that make him a murderer - or an accomplice to murder? No I don't think it does, not for a minute.

He was there to do a job - a job he never asked to do (but when his country was in danger he didn't hesitate to enlist). He was just a normal guy from London, from a close-knit family, brought up in poverty our generation can't comprehend. Having been wounded twice during the war, he came through it minus a leg (courtesy of a landmine near Hamburg). He had a steady job after the war and rose through the ranks to become middle-ranking management, he got married during the war and ultimately had two children. He made the London Evening Standard front page when he was mugged (shows how times have changed - mugging is an everyday occurance) by some low life. Although the brief case he carried had nothing of value in it - and he was fighting with a false leg attached - he refused to let his attacker take the brief case out of principal!

Yep, an ordinary, law-abiding family man who did his duty. What happened at Hill 112 does not make any difference to me.

People that think they know what soldiers *should* feel or *do* feel after having been through grinding, personal, visceral combat should be encouraged to listen to or read Karl Marlantes' excellent book What it is like to go to War.

Written from the perspective of a Rhodes scholar who enlisted and served as a Marine officer in Vietnam, it is a gripping rendition of what one experiences on the front line. He goes into extraordinary introspective detail on the different feelings one experiences before, during and after combat.

Bloodthirst? Yes. Regrettably-on occasion. Dehumanizing rage? Yes. Fear? Yes-frequently. Fatigue, nausea, anger, deception, pride, sadness, euphoria? Yes to all, in measure. Lawyerly predisposition to prejudge what men do to other men in the midst of combat? Never. And this includes killing of wounded enemy soldiers and the rationale for same.

I'm prone to accepting his version of well-described events. Your mileage may vary, but I'm comfortable in the constructed narrative that I've heard from many, many combatants about their mindset during the fighting. I don't recall any of them parsing through the scholarly or lawyerly details of what constitutes an 'attempt to surrender' and the instantaneous assumption of invulnerability that you suggest such an erstwhile attempt at surrender constitutes. Not that it's not not possible, I guess, it's just that it-in real life-doesn't happen.

On the contrary, I've heard many soldiers talk about the fact that the act of surrender was sometimes (frequently?) dangerous in and of itself. That they stood as good a chance of being shot by the enemy as they did being killed 'friendly' fire (or in the case of the Russians-the bloody-minded Komissar at the back of the pack) often dissuaded them from the notion. But I haven't heard a rendition from a soldier that expected ideal treatment after having just finished shooting some of his now captors.

Your (and others') overbroad mischaracterization of combat as being synonymous with cold-blooded murder doesn't wash either. As I said before-there are many moral, ethical, legal, historical, religious and societal differences between the two. They are not the same any more than self-defense is murder. Marlantes' book goes into the differences nicely-it's recommended for this discussion too.

With all that being said, I think there is a remarkable statistic about WWII POWs. The safest place for a German male born between the year of 1900 and 1930 was in either a British or an American POW camp. Safer than remaining in service in their own country. Safer than fighting on the Eastern front. Safer than civilian life in Germany. For British or Americans in German POW camps, the survival rate was pretty high (~95% IIRC) as well. This speaks about the remarkable civility shown MOST OF THE TIME on the Western front. Both sides wanted to demonstrate their humanity to the other in this somewhat surreal juxtaposition to both the Eastern front and the War in the Pacific, where utmost savagery was a rule rather than an exception.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 63
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/18/2017 4:47:22 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dances with Wolves was a bad movie unless you don't mind 1970s characters in an 1870 setting. From an art standpoint that's fine; from a history standpoint: awful.

You mean Dances with Kevey? It was an ego piece. Well made but in the end just as vain as all of his other movies. Save one, Bull Durham is the best sports movie ever made. He was the perfect Crash Davis..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 64
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 4:48:24 PM   
MakeeLearn

War is......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 65
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 4:53:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

War is......

warspite1

The first casualty of war is your haircut....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 66
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 5:53:09 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Dances with Wolves was a bad movie unless you don't mind 1970s characters in an 1870 setting. From an art standpoint that's fine; from a history standpoint: awful.

You mean Dances with Kevey? It was an ego piece. Well made but in the end just as vain as all of his other movies. Save one, Bull Durham is the best sports movie ever made. He was the perfect Crash Davis..

OT, kinda... Thin Red Line I thought as was good one... as for the 'Plains Indian Wars' - Son of the Morning Star (The book is good, too).

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 67
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 6:31:22 PM   
Canoerebel

You're not alone. Obvert is a big fan of Thin Red Line and its artwork.

I'm not, though, for the same reasons that I don't like Dances with Wolves, Cold Mountain, and Kelly's Heroes.

Each of those movies has a lot of fans, and each of them has merit from an art, dramatic, or humorous standpoint. I understand why people like them.

I don't like them because major characters in the movies have modern mentalities set in a historic period of time. In 1870, U.S. cavalry officers weren't 1960s hippies who loved nature and founded Woodstock on the Plains. In 1944 Europe, GIs didn't act like drugged up M*A*S*H characters with a groovy vibe.

Nearly all movies suffer from the need to modify history to make things more appealing or dramatic. In We Were Soldiers, Mel Gibson crafted a charge that didn't happen for dramatic purposes. In Hacksaw Ridge he had the cliff that Desmond Doss climbed far, far higher than it actually was. In Patriot he had American Revolution southerners living in Greek revival houses that didn't even exist before about 1840. So those movies are flawed too, though differently. At least the characters seem relatively suited to the times (especially Hacksaw Ridge) rather than groovy flower children.

I'm trying to think of good examples of war movies and movies in war settings that didn't seem to veer into the surreal from that standpoint (though they may suffer in other ways). Letters from Iwo Jima would be a good example. Saving Private Ryan does a pretty darned good job of it. Doctor Zhivago probably does, though I'm not all that familiar with Russian history. Stalag 17 and Mister Roberts felt right.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 68
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 7:35:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

At least the characters seem relatively suited to the times (especially Hacksaw Ridge) rather than groovy flower children.

I think that's why The Patriot is one of Warspite1's all-time favorites. Not enough Rafe McCawley to make it a 6 star production, but plenty of his paramour Gibson to get his kicks from the film.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 69
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 7:50:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

A realistic war film..... Das Boot.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/24/2017 7:58:26 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 70
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 8:00:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

At least the characters seem relatively suited to the times (especially Hacksaw Ridge) rather than groovy flower children.

I think that's why The Patriot is one of Warspite1's all-time favorites. Not enough Rafe McCawley to make it a 6 star production, but plenty of his paramour Gibson to get his kicks from the film.
warspite1

To be fair I think that these two thespians provide different - and complimentary - skills to enhance any production. With Rafe one gets ahistorical, badly acted ****, whilst with La Gibson one gets badly acted, ahistorical ****.

You see, quite different.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 71
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/24/2017 9:24:28 PM   
rustysi

OK, so one WWII movie which I originally thought totally made up, The Devils Brigade. Yes, there's a lot of Hollywood in there, but a Mount LaDefensa(sp?). When I first saw it I thought to myself, "Yeah, right". Turns out the thing is real and the unit did scale the cliff. Truth is actually stranger than fiction.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 72
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 1:20:47 AM   
Canoerebel

Schindler's List

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 73
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 2:58:24 AM   
John 3rd

Magnificent film. I have seen it once. Will not watch it again until my sons are old enough to handle it.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 74
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 2:58:52 AM   
John 3rd

I would vote Tora, Tora, Tora.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 75
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 3:46:38 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Schindler's List

Ouch, yes great film and appropriately brutal.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 76
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 6:33:41 AM   
BBfanboy

Made-for-TV movies "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" based on the books by Herman Wouk (The Caine Mutiny author). Robert Mitchum starred as a USN Captain. Got his ship (Northampton) torpedoed from under him at Tassafaronga. But most of it is about what happened to the Jewish people in Europe.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 77
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 11:13:18 AM   
btd64

Wow, lots of great films here. I've seen them all. Great work. GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 78
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 12:34:47 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
But most of it is about what happened to the Jewish people in Europe.

For that treatment, I'd look no farther than the 1970s miniseries "Holocaust". Haunting.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 79
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 1:16:26 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

As well as 'All quiet on the Western Front'. Best US movie ever portraying the carnage in the trenches and showing 'us' Germans not as brutish Huns ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 80
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 1:58:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

As well as 'All quiet on the Western Front'. Best US movie ever portraying the carnage in the trenches and showing 'us' Germans not as brutish Huns ;)

Klink, Oberst

the 1930 version of 'All quiet on the Western Front' is good. The bunker scene during the artillery barrage is intense.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 81
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 2:24:11 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Steiner das Eiserne Kreuz is also a rather good war movie. Cant go wrong with James Coburn and Maximilian Shell.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 82
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 2:52:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Steiner das Eiserne Kreuz is also a rather good war movie. Cant go wrong with James Coburn and Maximilian Shell.
warspite1

"Steiner, is a myth. Men like him are our last hope and in that sense, he is a truly dangerous man....."

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 83
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 3:58:07 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

"Steiner, is a myth. Men like him are our last hope and in that sense, he is a truly dangerous man....."

Where is Steiner?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 84
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 4:02:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Where is Steiner?
warspite1

Well he was probably in his 30's - maybe even as old as 40's - in 1943. That being the case, my money is on him being dead by now....

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 85
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 8:04:06 PM   
pontiouspilot

On this side of pond the movie title was "Cross of Iron" as I recall. It's the only good role I ever saw Coburn in. It had James Mason playing his usual role as kraut officer.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 86
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 8:08:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

On this side of pond the movie title was "Cross of Iron" as I recall. It's the only good role I ever saw Coburn in. It had James Mason playing his usual role as kraut officer.
warspite1

It was Cross of Iron in the UK too.

I was probably too young when I saw this scene for the first time....

Warning: Adult Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3WmPa6XjI

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/25/2017 8:21:46 PM >

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 87
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 8:30:55 PM   
Encircled

Think "Cross of Iron" is Peckinpahs best work to be honest.

Certainly one of films that I'll always watch when its on the box.

And James Coburn is great in it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 88
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 8:39:50 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

It's the only good role I ever saw Coburn in.

Nambus at dawn Sir !!

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 89
RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyho... - 2/25/2017 10:26:32 PM   
spence

Although the movie was OK the plot in the book was better. The battle in the factory in Novorrosisk is spooky and tense. If you never read the book Stransky has to walk back to get evacuated from the Kuban beachhead, Steiner "sneaks off" (Brandt and Kiesel know exactly what he's up to), and Steiner cuts off Stransky "at the pass". But although he wants to kill Stransky Stransky is accompanied by some poor landser and so Steiner doesn't shoot. But Stransky runs and runs and runs away. Stransky escapes the bridgehead but is revealed as the coward he and we always knew he was.

Read the book if you've missed it.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI