Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/29/2017 9:10:11 AM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Well the Dutch PT boat TF commander has been really good one. 80+ naval 70+ aggression, the result was big disappointment. The same 30+ bombers at Palembang on naval strike with plenty of targets around and no sortie launched.

I thought that you were probably disappointed with you airforce as well. We both wanted a battle and the digital commanders collectively said, "no." Sometimes the 1s and 0s just don't cooperate us... jajaja.

The PT Boats were docked and caught by surprise. Otherwise, the DMS TF would not have performed so well against PT boats. If 4 or 5 PT boats were not sank before "getting under way," they probably would have scored some gun hits on the DMS, if not a torpedo or 2. As you see, in the next combat report, however, the DMS TF got chewed up pretty good by the artillery at Palembang.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 3/29/2017 9:13:21 AM >

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 121
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/29/2017 10:41:00 AM   
Aurorus

Dec. 24th

Sumatra

I did something very Japanese and also very foolish. I withdrew the amphibious TF at Palembang, because I was concerned about the allied surface combat TF, and this TF contains the best APs that Japan has. I forgot that Palembang is a river hex and the PoW and Repulse cannot enter it. I should have left the TF there and set to "remain on station" to hide in the inlet. I was also concerned with the minefield, which was large and undiminished. I had a backup minesweeping TF on standby in case things went amiss with the first minesweepers, and both TFs moved in together, along with a second small amphibious TF. The artillery at Palembang raked the minesweepers, though they were able to clear out a good portion of the mines. The second amphibous TF landed a SNLF without incident to reinforce the 2 brigades already on the ground.

TF 17 encounters mine field at Palembang (48,91) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-14, Shell hits 1
DMS W-13, Shell hits 2, on fire

Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-14
DMS W-14 firing at Palembang Base Force
DMS W-13 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-13
19 mines cleared

TF 17 encounters mine field at Palembang (48,91) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

3 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-14
DMS W-13, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hokaze

Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-14
DMS W-14 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-13
25 mines cleared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 7 encounters mine field at Palembang (48,91) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-20
DMS W-12, Shell hits 3, on fire
DMS W-11, Shell hits 1
DMS W-4, Shell hits 5, on fire

DMS W-20 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-20
DMS W-12 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-12
DMS W-11 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-11
DMS W-4 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-4
62 mines cleared

The allies opted to withdraw the Hermes, Lexington, PoW, and Repulse in the night and there was no naval or air action of great consquence in the theater. Bombers struck the airfields at Singapore in the morning and Palembang in the afternoon. The Betties from Singkawang did sortie in the afternoon against an allied transport TF near Oosthaven.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Oosthaven at 48,96

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 19

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
DE Sutlej, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Tilawa, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAP Lancashire
xAK Jalajaran, Torpedo hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 122
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/29/2017 10:52:24 AM   
Aurorus

Phillipines

Aerial and artillery bombardments continued at Clark Field and Manila. The artillery exchanges at Clark Field are in favor of the allies at the moment with the dual purpose coastal guns contributing. The air strikes on Manila continue to slow whittle down the allied AV.

China

The Japanese sealed the the pocket in the central Chinese plain just outside of Nanyang and mopped up the only remaining Chinese unit of any significance that was unable to escape the pincer.

Ground combat at 87,49 (near Hwainan)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 9664 troops, 64 guns, 50 vehicles, Assault Value = 360

Defending force 2570 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Japanese adjusted assault: 679

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 679 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-), fatigue(-), morale(-)
experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2775 casualties reported
Squads: 251 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 218 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 42 (42 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
15th Tank Regiment
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
138th Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
48th Chinese Corps

Very few Chinese units were eliminated or isolated in the pincer movement, and the allies did a fine job retreating the Chinese army group from the plain in good order. China will be a slog and supply sink for the Japanese.

The rarely debated question... what to do about China? Most Japanese players assume that they must make every effort to take the whole of China and destroy the entire Chinese army. While many Japanese players do have success in China, the question is: at what cost? Things for the Japanese high command to ponder as phase 1 of the China campaign nears completion.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 123
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/29/2017 8:23:23 PM   
adarbrauner

How do you know the DPs contributed?

China takes a long time, and enormous resources

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 124
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/30/2017 3:49:53 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

How do you know the DPs contributed?

China takes a long time, and enormous resources

I am not sure that I understand your meaning about DPs.

As to China, I read the AARs which show the slow, long drive to Chungking. Then I watch as stacks and stacks of units slowly whittle down the defenses with enormous daily air raids and artillery bombardments. The supply use is enormous. Big stacks and long sieges use tremendous amounts of supply. The question is: is that a good use of Japanes supply. Sometimes I think that people use stacking limits to prevent their own folly: i.e. creating enormous supply inefficient stacks, just as people used to make house rules about altitude to prevent their own folly of flying planes outside their best manuever bands.

What are the benefits of conquering the whole of China and can it be done in time to make a difference in Japan's defense in other theaters? I am not going to fight to lose in China, but I cannot say that I am going to make an all-in effort to take China either. The supplies that go to China will be limited and what I can accomplish with those supplies, I will accomplish. I will prevent my own folly, by forcing myself to use limited supplies in China.

Against a different opponent, I may take a different track in China, but Bob is very good at the land war. He has already demonstrated that in this game, and I am reading an AAR about a game of War in the East that he is playing as the Germans. He has a firm grasp of strategy for how to conduct land war in Grigsby games. China will be difficult against Bob. I can see that already.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 3/30/2017 4:04:49 PM >

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 125
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/30/2017 8:37:27 PM   
adarbrauner

On the other side, the advantages are endless:

an astronomic amount of "victory points", which reflect that ... we are winning; the war was strted because of China and to resolve that conflict;

a tremendous improvement of experience for both land and air forces, and leaders (also pretty much realistic);

sizable additional industrial resources, for "free";

and, last but not least, the freeing of the majority of the Army in good time - if - , the ultimate nightmare of P. Roosvelt.

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 3/30/2017 8:40:01 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 126
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/30/2017 8:38:41 PM   
adarbrauner

-

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 3/30/2017 8:39:22 PM >

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 127
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/31/2017 7:50:15 AM   
821Bobo

quote:

Against a different opponent, I may take a different track in China, but Bob is very good at the land war. He has already demonstrated that in this game, and I am reading an AAR about a game of War in the East that he is playing as the Germans. He has a firm grasp of strategy for how to conduct land war in Grigsby games. China will be difficult against Bob. I can see that already.

You are giving me to much credit. WitE land combat is really different from WitP, what works in WitE won't in WitP.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 128
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/31/2017 5:30:56 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

quote:

You are giving me to much credit. WitE land combat is really different from WitP, what works in WitE won't in WitP.

I know. I played some War in the East long ago. But you understand the concept of defense in depth, strategic reserves, etc. It is not something that every WiTP player understands. Some people tend to play like the AI, building big stacks and moving directly to objectives with their big stacks or overcommitting on defense to one hex.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 129
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/31/2017 5:38:30 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Not really reading the AAR (any AAR for that matter). No time and inclination for that. But I just saw in bold letters Argentina vs. Slovakia

All I want to say is I'm sure Leo Messi will bag the match. 1 - 0 (min 90 +5) is my bet

Have fun both of you.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 130
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 3/31/2017 5:55:55 PM   
Aurorus

Two days since the last update, and it is now Dec. 27th. The 26th was a quiet day, with bad weather cancelling many of the planned air operations. Japanese minesweeping efforts continue at Bataan, but the moon grows more full with each day, and the losses are mounting. It appears Bob added to the allied minefield there because over 300 mines have been swept and the field is still there.

TF 96 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
AMc Toroshima Maru, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Choun Maru #7, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AMc Wa 19, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Wa 3, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Toroshima Maru
AMc Toroshima Maru firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Choun Maru #7
AMc Wa 19 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Wa 19
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Wa 3
AMc Wa 3 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
121 mines cleared

There has been some minor action at Tarakan over the past three or four days. The allies moved a small detachment of P40s there from Luzon and have covered the base with PT boats. A small detachment of Zeros swept several times and netted a couple of P-40s. The P-40 squadron then withdrew and Lillies began bombardment of the coastal guns and base force. On the 27th, a Japanese SCTF consisting of a CL and a few DDs moved in and fought an inconclusive action with the PT boats, which also later encountered a pair of Japanese DMSs. Low on ammo, the PTs withdrew from the action, but have managed to stymie the Japanese for a day or so by remaining a force in being.

Phillipines

The air action has mostly shifted to Clark Field with Sallies and Betties bombing the artillery and coastal guns there. The artillery exchanges have been favoring the allies, and the available air power has been deployed to try to even the engagements. Mop up operations on Mindanao and the smaller islands continue. The allies' position is now reduced to Mandalabay on Mindanao, Cebu, and two other islands. A Phillipines army unit surrendered at Surigao.

Malaysia

Another air raid on the airfield at Singapore. The flak is growing more intensive as it appears that a new flak unit or two have arrived and entered combat mode. The raids are limited to Sallies only, which hold up better against the heavy flak.

Pacific

A carrier-based fighter sweep of Rabaul precedes a carrier raid on the airfield and then attacks on the ground forces there. Prior to the initiating the Rabaul campaign, the Japanese took Shortlands in the Solomons.

Sumatra

Several bombardments from the Japanese but no offensive as yet. Poor weather and poor coordination have hampered air operations, and I was hoping to disable and disrupt a few squads before a general attack. The British base forces, which were providing aviation support for the Vildebeasts and Swordfish there have withdrawn to the northwest. The Dutch forces remain.

The minefields and especially the coastal guns at Palembang took a toll on Japanese shipping. 1 CL hit a mine. 2 APDs, 5 DMS, and an AP were hit by coastal guns. Several of the DMS sustained heavy damage. It was a pretty rough ride for the amphibious units, but Tanaka managed to get the bulk of the Japanese forces ashore and the high-quality APs out of Palembang without major incident. For an operation this important, only one commander will do, and at this stage of the war, with so much left to do, I would not entrust the high quality APs in an amphibious operation to any other commander.

Bob says he has time to do some turns this weekend, so we will see what comes of Tarakan, Rabaul, and of course, the important... oil roll at Palembang. The allies managed to destroy 10 of the oil wells at Brunei... so I am not off to a good start on the oil rolls.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 3/31/2017 5:59:11 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 131
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 12:17:13 PM   
Aurorus

Two more days have passed, and it is now Dec. 29th.

On the 28th, the Japanese took Palembang.

Ground combat at Palembang (48,91)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 12494 troops, 112 guns, 13 vehicles, Assault Value = 476

Defending force 3318 troops, 46 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 98

Japanese adjusted assault: 223

Allied adjusted defense: 40

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Palembang !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
252 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units pursuing 1

Allied ground losses:
1123 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 44 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 18 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 28 (26 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Regiment
4th Ind.Mixed Regiment
21st Ind.Mixed Brigade
112th Infantry Regiment
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
6th Field AF Construction Battalion
82nd JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
Zuid KNIL Battalion
So.Sumatra Garrison Battalion
Palembang Base Force
110th RAF Base Force

The engineers were overrun in the attack, and opening the turn on the 29th revealed all oil and refineries intact. I have read AARs where people state that they did not "shock" attack industry hexes for fear of destroying the resources. I think it is just the opposite. It is better to shock attack and try to destroy the engineers. Shock attacks result in higher casualties on both sides. I have never seen destroyed engineers disable resources. Disabled engineers... I do not know. I did not shock attack at Brunei, for example, and 10 oil were destroyed by the engineers who suffered few casualties in the battle.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 132
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 12:26:22 PM   
Aurorus

Phillipines

Artillery bombardments continued in Manila and aerial bombardments on Clark Field. On the 29th, the artillery exchange at Clark favored the Japanese for the first time, so the aerial campaign seems to be assisting there in reducing the effectiveness of the coastal artillery.

Mop up operations continue on Mindanao, where the allies are fighting to the last, and fighting well, at Malaybalay. After a 2:1 attack on the 28th, the Japanese attack on the 29th resulted in a 1:2 attack that caused more disabled Japanese squads than PI squads. Here is the fighting on the 29th. Not a happy result for Japan.

Ground combat at Malaybalay (80,90)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5888 troops, 58 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 196

Defending force 2860 troops, 18 guns, 17 vehicles, Assault Value = 88

Japanese adjusted assault: 48

Allied adjusted defense: 58

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
346 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 33 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
198 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
Kimura Det
143rd Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
3rd PA Constabulary Regiment
1st /101st PA Battalion
102nd PA Infantry Regiment
2nd/101st PA Battalion
Cagayan USAAF Base Force
Mindanao Force Corps

With no HQ, for the moment, on Mindanao, these troops are going to be recovering for some time from the Mindanao operation. At least both units gained 2 points of experience from the 2 days of fighting.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 133
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 12:39:31 PM   
Aurorus

South Pacific

A small Japanese landing at Guam was reinforced by the first elements of the crack 84th SNLF. The 1/84th and the 2nd Independent SNLF both attacked the U.S. garrison and failed to take the base. Tough to lose the first attack against real U.S. units: bad for morale.

Another bad ground combat roll for Japan at Rabaul, and Lark Battalion held the base against the 144th Infantry Regiment.

Ground combat at Rabaul (106,125)

Attacking force 3888 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 162

Defending force 1480 troops, 29 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Japanese adjusted assault: 28

Allied adjusted defense: 33

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
94 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
98 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
144th Infantry Regiment
15th Base Force

Defending units:
B Coy/NG Rifles
Lark Battalion
Rabaul Det. Base Force

How did the 144th and the base force infantry go from 162 AV to 28? Someone needs to explain to the Colonel in charge of that unit that more than 1/5th of his combat troops need to be used in battle.

In addition to the tough results at Malaybalay, Rabaul, and Guam, a Japanese attack at Pontiniak in Borneo also failed to take the base: a tough two days for the IJA.

China

Not so the navy. In China, a Japanese naval aviation support battalion was traveling by rail south when the railline was cut by two small Chinese units that had been isolated by the pincer movement centered on Nanyang. Sallies came in to support the embattled JNAF, and it quickly came out of strategic move and the engineers and aircraft mechanics, supported by 9 squads of infantry, stormed the Chinese position.

Ground combat at 91,48 (near Suchow)

Attacking force 891 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Defending force 689 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 7

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: leaders(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
283 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 30 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
15th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
Lusu War Area
89th Chinese Corps

A plus for leadership, and 31 squads destroyed or disabled as well as 2 guns, by 9 squads of infantry and 24 squads of aviation support. Give these men some rifles and send them to Rabaul, Malaybalay, Pontiniak, or Guam.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 4/1/2017 12:53:59 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 134
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 4:32:51 PM   
Aurorus

With the first month of the war concluded. I will do the first "Heroes of the Month" for the Japanese armed forces.

Order of the Rising Sun: Reserved for the best units and commanders.

Navy: CA Chokai and her Captain, Hankyu Sasaki, for destroying most of the thundering herd singlehandedly.

Army: 5th Recon for trapping the Indian Brigades at Alor Star, resulting in the complete destruction of the 6th Indian Brigade and the near destruction of the 15th.

Order of the Samurai: Reserved for those units which performed distinguished service in the tradition of Samurai.

Navy: Takao Ku K 1 and commanders Suda and Nonaka for destroying or disabling nearly 75 allied vehicles at Cabantuan

Army: 4th and 21st Independent Infantry brigades for destroying the allied engineers at Palembang before they could sabotage oil and refineries

Order of the Emperor: For those units who have distinguished themselves in service to the empire.

Navy: Lt. Masao Sato and Zuikako 1. The Zero squadron led the charge at the Pearl Harbor campaign with 21 allied fighter kills over the Hawaiian islands during the first week of the war.

Army: Yokosua 1st SNLF whose paradrop in Cabantuan drew the allied armor into clear terrain for air strikes.

Other High honors: CVL Ryujo for covering the landings at Kuantan, Sambas, an Palembang. She was by far the busiest and most important ship in the Japanese navy in this first month. Her Zero squadron achieved 12 allied kills with 0 losses, and her bomber wing sank 6 allied ships, including the CL Tromp.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 4/1/2017 4:34:01 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 135
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 5:16:21 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

SIG INT REPORT FOR Dec 30, 41

Radio transmissions detected at 213,56.

Japanese spy in Portland has been exposed and executed

< Message edited by 821Bobo -- 4/1/2017 5:17:20 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 136
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/1/2017 5:30:23 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

quote:

SIG INT REPORT FOR Dec 30, 41

Radio transmissions detected at 213,56.

Japanese spy in Portland has been exposed and executed

There are lights in the hills and they are signaling the submarines waiting off the west coast to launch the secret invasion of continental North America.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 137
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 2:52:03 AM   
Aurorus

We flipped several turns today, and I demonstrated to Bob my ability to flip a turn in an hour (sometimes... 2 hours is more common). It is much easier once the navy is organized into theaters and bases in the way that I want it. For the first week, even two weeks of the war, the turns take me 4 or 5 hours each.

Two more days have passed, and it is now Jan. 1. On Dec. 31st, the Dutch hold out against another attack at Pontianik. Rabaul and Malabalay were not attacked again after the failure to take the bases on the first attack. With the new year, no further delays would be tolerated. Heavy cruisers bombarded Pontianik and Rabaul (a second time) before the ground attacks. The cruiser bombardments did wonders, and both bases fell, though Lark Battalion contested the base to the last with spirit.

Ground combat at Rabaul (106,125)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 6872 troops, 60 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 165

Defending force 1349 troops, 29 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Japanese adjusted assault: 107

Allied adjusted defense: 13

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rabaul !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)
preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
161 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 26 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
634 casualties reported
Squads: 13 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 42 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 14 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 26 (19 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
144th Infantry Regiment
15th Base Force

Defending units:
Lark Battalion
B Coy/NG Rifles
Rabaul Det. Base Force

Ground combat at Pontianak (56,90)

Attacking force 1129 troops, 7 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 38

Defending force 1150 troops, 11 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Japanese adjusted assault: 28

Allied adjusted defense: 13

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Pontianak !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
41 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1084 casualties reported
Squads: 28 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 55 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 2

Assaulting units:
III./124th Infantry Battalion

Defending units:
West Borneo KNIL Battalion
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Pontianak Base Force
Singkawang Base Force

On the 31st, the Japanese avoided further land combat embarassment by taking Tarakan on the first go. 2 oil and 2 refineries were damaged in the assault.

Ground combat at Tarakan (67,91)

Attacking force 3853 troops, 41 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 156

Defending force 1776 troops, 46 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 44

Japanese adjusted assault: 86

Allied adjusted defense: 25

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tarakan !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
273 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 29 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
719 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 43 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 26 (23 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
4th Engineer Co
1st Engineer Co
Sasebo 8th SNLF

Defending units:
VII KNIL Battalion
Tarakan Coastal Gun Battalion
Tarakan Base Force

Lowpe may be happy that I used SNLFs to take the base rather than a regiment. He will be unhappy to know that I did so, because I expected the attack to be costly, and I plotted 2 SNLFs for the base because I did not want a regiment to get trashed there. 30 SNLF squads disabled is much better than 30 squads from a regiment.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 4/2/2017 2:53:33 AM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 138
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 2:58:01 AM   
Aurorus

As Japanese Heavy Cruisers raked allied positions everywhere that they have caused difficulties, Japan showed its hand at Luzon: 3600 AV. The Rising Sun has come in force to the Phillipines and means business.

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 58432 troops, 643 guns, 259 vehicles, Assault Value = 2463

Defending force 24261 troops, 410 guns, 493 vehicles, Assault Value = 738

Japanese ground losses:
89 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
48th Engineer Regiment
21st Division
33rd Division
2nd Formosa Inf. Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
65th Brigade
38th Division
113th Infantry Regiment
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
1st Formosa Inf. Regiment
148th Infantry Regiment
47th Infantry Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
14th Army
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
48th Field Artillery Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
56th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
31st PA Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
4th Marine Regiment
91st PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
192nd Tank Battalion
14th PS Engineer Regiment
1st USMC AA Battalion
Subic Bay Defenses
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
1st PI Base Force
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
USAFFE
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
I Philippine Corps
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 25121 troops, 261 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 1192

Defending force 15373 troops, 152 guns, 149 vehicles, Assault Value = 430

Allied ground losses:
115 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 14 disabled

Assaulting units:
16th Recon Regiment
9th Infantry Regiment
20th Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
4th Division
2nd Engineer Regiment
48th Recon Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
16th Engineer Regiment
4th Infantry Regiment
16th Army
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
71st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Infantry Division
41st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
Asiatic Fleet
Manila USAAF Base Force
II Philippine Corps
Cavite USN Base Force
PAF Aviation

I stand by my statement that Long sieges are inefficient uses of supply. I do not intend to get bogged down in a long siege or try to have an extended artillery dual with large number of fixed gun emplacements.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 4/2/2017 3:00:13 AM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 139
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 3:05:10 AM   
Aurorus

Japanese Paratroopers landed at Port Blair as well.

Ground combat at Port Blair (46,58)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 598 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 31

Defending force 248 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Japanese adjusted assault: 19

Allied adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Port Blair !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Allied ground losses:
305 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 27 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF /1

Defending units:
Port Blair RN Det

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 140
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 12:15:35 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus
As I say, amphibious TFs will unload troops at the amphibious rate. You do not get the amphibious bonus unloading at a friendly port, however.

Yes, you are right, I missed this one. One of the quirks of the game that's not particularly logical. Yet can be dealt with by assigning enough shipping into amphibious shuttling. Squads suffer negligible disablements when unloaded overboard into friendly ports, and it is squads (avsupport and engineers) that you usually care about first. Tanks/guns are different of course but you rarely need those unloading into friendly bases anyway except from starting TFs. The latter also need some specific care (with destination ports too) exactly because they are overloaded by design (Wake invasion planner, commit seppuku, will ya ).
But after that initial phase TF composition becomes your own choice, and Japan has enough spare shipping to indefinitely scale unloading capacity if needed with no regard to destination port. ИBut only for amphibs. Maybe your previous problems with amphibs came from you trying to use ships efficiently and used minimum amount of those. Throw some more into amphibs even if space is not used fully and everything will unload quickly and in good order (as you've already mentioned for my example)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus
I stand by my statement that Long sieges are inefficient uses of supply. I do not intend to get bogged down in a long siege or try to have an extended artillery dual with large number of fixed gun emplacements.

Long sieges of Chinese is also by far the best experience gain in the game for Japanese infantry if you rotate LCUs and let disablements recover. Would be useful later

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 141
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 7:03:25 PM   
Aurorus

Jan. 2nd

The Japanese submarine force continues to shine, finding and hitting two more tankers in the night: one Dutch and the other U.S.

Sub attack near Lihue at 178,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
TK Gulfland, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
PC Reliance

SS I-16 launches 6 torpedoes at TK Gulfland
I-16 diving deep ....
PC Reliance fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

Submarine attack near Pamekasan at 58,106

Japanese Ships
SS I-122

Allied Ships
TK Anastasia, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

TK Anastasia is sighted by SS I-122
SS I-122 launches 2 torpedoes at TK Anastasia

The Gulfland was carrying fuel, no doubt bound for Pearl and taking a sneaky northern route. The Anastasia is carrying oil... my oil... no doubt to Australia.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 142
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 7:08:27 PM   
Aurorus

I did the turn last night late and was tired. As a result, I did something stupid. I left the Betties and Nells at Singkawang on "Naval attack" with a secondary target of "ground attack... commander's discretion." Left to his own devices, the commander of the Betty squadron decided to fly over Singapore at 9k and the unit was hit by the full force of a pile of Bofor 40mm.

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore Fortress, at 50,84 (Singapore)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
G4M1 Betty x 26

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 15 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

5 planes did not make it home, and I believe 4 more naval aviation pilots were lost (1 is missing in action). Two lessons from this: 1) Do not be lazy when doing turns. 2) Always remember to check your bomber squadrons every turn. This is something that I have failed to do twice now in the this game. The first time did not cost me, because the bombers flew against a remote base in China... but they could have flown right into AVG.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 143
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/2/2017 7:16:57 PM   
Aurorus

More AMcs went into Bataan under a nearly full moon and sacrificed their lives for the glory of the empire. Bob must have added substantially to the number of mines in the field. By my count, that is over 400 cleared. I believe it start the game with 300. Whatever the case, I have not had this much trouble clearing the field in a scenario 1 game. Against Ironman, the minefield is enormous, and I don't even bother trying to clear it out when there is more than 25% moonlight.

We have a timetable, however, and it will not wait. One more group of AMcs should get it in there and that will have to suffice. The time to move on is... now.

TF 210 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
AMc Menado Maru, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Kyo Maru #3, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AMc Hakata Maru #7, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AMc Choun Maru #8, Shell hits 4, heavy damage

AMc Menado Maru firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Menado Maru
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Kyo Maru #3
AMc Kyo Maru #3 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
AMc Hakata Maru #7 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Hakata Maru #7
AMc Choun Maru #8 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Choun Maru #8
90 mines cleared

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 144
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 2:16:29 AM   
Aurorus

Jan. 3rd.

Malaysia

The Japanese have reached Malacca and Kuala Lumpur, and the allies have retreated back to fortress Singapore. This theater has been quiet for a few days.

DEI

With Palembang and Tarakan now in Japanese hands, this theater was also quiet on the 3rd. Port operations have slowed me down for 2 days here. In this opening for Japan, what I did was basically use Mindanao as a supply depot. I dumped a pile of supply (along with a regiment and some SNLFs) into Mindanao early from the cargo ships of the opening TFs. I routed naval support to Butaan and Davao from day 1. The idea is to get the supply forward and get it off the garbage cargo ships and onto ships suitable for amphibious operations. Babeldaod is only a size 3 port and alone is insufficient for this task, which is why I wanted Davao and Butaan as quickly as possible. (Of course there were also 19 B-17s sitting at Cagayan, and I did not have to go far out of the way to cause trouble for them). So, that was the plan for the DEI.

SoPac

The Japanese took Kavieng, after the initial invasion ran afoul of the Adelaide. So Rabaul, Shortlands, Kavieng, and Madang are now in Japanese hands. Rabaul is a mess, because I had to bombard it with cruisers twice, owing to the spirited defense of the Lark Battalion. Those Australians are tough.

China

China has been mostly a game of manuever for the past few days. The Chinese hold Nanyang with 6 units, and the Japanese have formed a line that borders Nanyang and the Chengchow, Loyang region. North China is a cat and mouse game as 2 Chinese units keep trying to escape isolation.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 145
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 2:28:22 AM   
Aurorus

Phillipines

With the other theaters quiet, the action has shifted to the Phillipines. I moved most of the Japanese forces into Clark from Lingayen and Iba yesterday, revealing the extent of my deployment there. As I say, it is 3600 AV, and I did not deploy 3600 AV to Luzon to stare the supply out of the allies. The idea is to steamroll Luzon and move on as quickly as possible. To the action then.

More than 400 mines have been removed from Bataan, and one more AMc group was inbound 1 hex away. They went to work.

TF 188 encounters mine field at Bataan (78,77) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

13 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
AMc Toshi Maru #7, Shell hits 5, heavy damage
AMc Shintohoku Maru, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Seki Maru, Shell hits 3, heavy damage
AMc Kyo Maru #5, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

AMc Toshi Maru #7 firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Toshi Maru #7
AMc Shintohoku Maru firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Shintohoku Maru
AMc Seki Maru firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Seki Maru
Manila Bay Defenses firing at AMc Kyo Maru #5
107 mines cleared

As they were clearing mines, 4 BBs steamed north from Batangas, along the coast, engaging the guns at Bataan briefly. With over 500 mines removed from Bataan, the path was still not entirely clear and Yamashiro hit a mine.

Naval Gun Fire at Bataan - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

72 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 2
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro, Mine hits 1
BB Fuso, Shell hits 1

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Hyuga
BB Hyuga firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Ise
BB Ise firing at Manila Bay Defenses
BB Yamashiro firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Fuso

Once clear of the coastal fortress at Bataan, the BBs bombarded Clark Field.

Night Naval bombardment of Clark Field at 79,76

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Stearman 75M: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 1 damaged
O-47A: 1 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
418 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 16 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 21 (9 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (3 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 14
Port hits 5

BB Hyuga firing at Clark Field
BB Ise firing at Clark Field
BB Yamashiro firing at Clark Field
BB Fuso firing at USAFFE

They were engaged by the coastal batteries again on the return trip to Batangas

Naval Gun Fire at Bataan - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

133 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 15
BB Ise, Shell hits 15
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 7
BB Fuso, Shell hits 4

Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Hyuga
BB Hyuga firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Ise
BB Ise firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Yamashiro
BB Yamashiro firing at Manila Bay Defenses
Manila Bay Defenses firing at BB Fuso
BB Fuso firing at Manila Bay Defenses

At first light, the Japanese came over the top across the entire front, with assaults on Manila and Clark. As evening fell over Luzon, Orphan Ann brought the bad news home to the dogfaces across the Pacific. Manila had fallen, and the outer trench works at Clark had been overrun.

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Attacking force 32547 troops, 279 guns, 441 vehicles, Assault Value = 1192

Defending force 15317 troops, 151 guns, 149 vehicles, Assault Value = 416

Japanese adjusted assault: 1091

Allied adjusted defense: 229

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Manila !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1674 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 123 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
8412 casualties reported
Squads: 332 destroyed, 89 disabled
Non Combat: 558 destroyed, 134 disabled
Guns lost 63 (44 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Vehicles lost 86 (68 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Units retreated 9
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
20th Infantry Regiment
9th Infantry Regiment
48th Recon Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
4th Division
16th Engineer Regiment
2nd Engineer Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
4th Infantry Regiment
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
16th Army
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
41st PA Infantry Division
71st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
Cavite USN Base Force
Manila USAAF Base Force
Asiatic Fleet
II Philippine Corps
PAF Aviation

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Attacking force 71039 troops, 688 guns, 457 vehicles, Assault Value = 2467

Defending force 23613 troops, 400 guns, 486 vehicles, Assault Value = 730

Japanese adjusted assault: 1422

Allied adjusted defense: 583

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2951 casualties reported
Squads: 137 destroyed, 267 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 30 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 105 disabled
Guns lost 52 (3 destroyed, 49 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1117 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 90 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 31 (2 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 64 (10 destroyed, 54 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Formosa Inf. Regiment
48th Engineer Regiment
65th Brigade
148th Infantry Regiment
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
38th Division
1st Formosa Inf. Regiment
47th Infantry Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
33rd Division
21st Division
113th Infantry Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Army
48th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
194th Tank Battalion
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
31st PA Infantry Division
4th Marine Regiment
192nd Tank Battalion
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
31st Infantry Regiment
91st PA Infantry Division
14th PS Engineer Regiment
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
1st USMC AA Battalion
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
USAFFE
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
Subic Bay Defenses
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 146
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 12:25:17 PM   
Bif1961

with over 100,00 troops in PI you came for a quick victory instead of a siege bypass operation. His defense was spread out between Clark and Manila and not concentrated on one or the other. Where did his Manila garrison retreat too? With that he won't be able to pull them into Bataan as they are now cutoff from Bataan. With 6 or 7 divisions worth of LCUs and support it may not take long as it appears half of his troops are engaged outside of Bataan.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 4/3/2017 12:26:56 PM >

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 147
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 1:23:11 PM   
821Bobo

I really don't understand why the Manila garrison retreated to the worst possible hex.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 148
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 7:13:05 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

I really don't understand why the Manila garrison retreated to the worst possible hex.

They cannot retreat from one attack into another hex under attack. That is why I attacked both hexes at the same time.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 149
RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) - 4/3/2017 7:17:10 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

with over 100,00 troops in PI you came for a quick victory instead of a siege bypass operation. His defense was spread out between Clark and Manila and not concentrated on one or the other. Where did his Manila garrison retreat too? With that he won't be able to pull them into Bataan as they are now cutoff from Bataan. With 6 or 7 divisions worth of LCUs and support it may not take long as it appears half of his troops are engaged outside of Bataan.

It does not make that much difference really. Both Manila and Clark are X3 defensive hexes. One of the reasons that I took Cabantuan right off was to be able to adjust my troops between Clark and Manila to have the right amount at each base, depending on his defensive deployment. If he built a big stack at Clark, I would have moved everything to Clark. The attack at Clark was nearly 3 to 1. If all the units from both sides had been at Clark, it probably would have been 3 to 1, and he would have retreated and lost the hex, instead of holding for another turn. He loses some units in Bataan, but forces me to attack a x3 defense hex a second time, instead of having more units at Bataan, which is only x2. He also gained some extra supply from holding Manila and was able to shuffle around his supply better. So there were advantages and disadvantages, and they pretty much even out in my opinion. If he would have abandoned Manila, I could have taken it on Dec. 18th.

He has had several units cut off, through no fault of his own. I landed at Iba, Lingayen, and Mauban, with a paradrop at Cabantuan. I moved quickly from Mauban to Batangas and interdicted the unit south of Batangas by air several times. As a result, he had 4 units cut off by Dec. 10th, and 2 units mauled at Lingayen and Iba. There was also the tank trap at Cabantuan, which you cannot fault him for. I think any allied player would have sent the tanks in after the paratroopers. Also, I doubt he realized just how much had been deployed to Luzon. Clark was inoperable for most of the time, so he had no recon. He probably did not realize that some of the units at Iba and Lingayen were whole divisions and that almost every other unit, except for 1 engineer unit, 3 aviation support, and 2 naval support, were regiments. I only had 1400 AV at Clark until the day before the attack. The rest was in Lingayen and Iba.

Going after Luzon first is interesting to me, in large part, because I think that the Japanese made a mistake in under-deploying there at the beginning of the war. I have other ways to start the game, but I like this opening move, in part, because I have thought it through from the allied side on Luzon every way that I can think of, and I cannot think of any way to hold Luzon for long against this open. It is just too much AV for the allied units that are not cut off on Dec. 7th, even with X3 terrain

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 4/3/2017 7:54:49 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Argentina vs. Slovakia (Aurorus against 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI