Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

8MP Axis T18

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 8MP Axis T18 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8MP Axis T18 - 3/12/2018 8:50:47 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 18 22-October-1941 North

More mud

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/7/2018 3:55:39 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 241
RE: OKH - 8 player multiplayer Axis thread - 4/7/2018 2:06:55 AM   
thedude357

Turn 18 Army Group South

Serious mud this turn isolating the southern half of Army Group South as the rail lines struggle to keep up. The German 41 offensive has certainly reached its culmination point until next year. German forces in the Crimea pull back slightly to avoid any disasters since they are isolated due to distance from rail and several Soviet divisions are adjacent to them.

An extremely small pocket is formed trapping 3 Soviet units north of Voronezh.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 242
8MP Axis T18 - 4/7/2018 12:32:30 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 18 22-October-1941 Air

The Soviet Air Force makes a reappearance - or at least some U2VS do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS
No, it wasn't a fat finger. I only did two [U2VS factories] because I didn't have enough railcap left. I'll send you the rest later.

Moscow is a good choice to evacuate them to!

That U-2VS airbase didn't get much in the way of Luftwaffe love this turn, so like an obstinate child, it will kick and scream (by bombing you) you until you do. You're going to do my job for me whether you want to or not.

I want to - we have lots of arriving bomber boys who want the practice! Just ran out of airfield bombing miles this time. Ask the coders to extend the 33%! But I think this confirms you are in the U2-VS club!

Axis promise kept. Soviet promise not kept.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/7/2018 3:55:57 PM >

(in reply to thedude357)
Post #: 243
8MP Axis T18 - 4/7/2018 3:49:52 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 18 22-October-1941 Economic

Remarkably the interceptor factory evacuation continues. The Yak-1 factories at Engels and Saratov are evacuated.

These factories faced no prospects whatsoever of being overun by ground forces in the near future - its evacuation is solely down to our air bombardment.

These factories expand to an eventual capacity of 25 each turn until they stop production in turn 68. If left unhindered the Engels factory would produce 1,465 Yak-1s and the Saratov factory, which had a slightly lower intial capacity, 1,444. We are unlikely to be able to cause further damage to the factory in its new location. The bombing damage together with its evacuation means we expect the Engels factory now in Nizhny Tagil to produce 963 and the Saratov factory now in Nizhny Tagil to only produce 909. This is a net loss of 1,037 Yak-1s. The Yak-1 factory at Tatischevo remains under bombardment with its capacity choked. While our Soviet opponents have prioritised the defence and evacuation of the LaGG-3 factories, presumably because they rate the LaGG3 as a better fighter, the vulnerability of the Yak-1 factories and the disproportionate losses to bombing perhaps means more priority should have been given to them.

The evacuation of these two factories actually increased their damage levels. If there had been no more bombing and no evacuation we expect the Engels factory would have produced 1,147 and the Saratov factory 1,053 or a total net loss of 709 Yak-1s. This is 328 less than will be the case. Implicitly the Soviets have told us they think our continued bombing would have destroyed 329 or more extra Yak-1s. The losses they have already had should tell them it would almost certainly have been much more. They left taking action here much too late. For all the goings on at Gorky it appears they missed the much bigger story at Saratov.

All our bombers continue to operate on repaired rail lines connected to the home rail network using staging bases to extend range. Vehicle conservation is important and for some is a reason to not use the air force at all. Although so far I have not seen it documented a staging base placed somewhere between a bomber base and the target will give a maximum range to target of one and a half times its radius. So our Heinkel bombers, which have a radius of 43 hexes, actually have a maximum range of 64 hexes to a target. Thus we square the circle of both using an air force and not losing vehicles for it.

It may be mud but our strategic bombing campaign continues along the Volga valley and into the West Caucasus.

With the evacuations we are down to only three fighter bomber factories in range. At Gorky the bombing of the hex with the LaGG-3 factory has to be shared with the bombing of the T34 factory

At Stalingrad we continue to choke the expansion of the T34 factory and at South Stalingrad the T60 factory reaches 46% damage. This means at least another three turns of lost producion or an extra 144 T-60 that we know will never be built due to lost expansion.

Which raises the question are we overbombing the T60 factory? Each turn the factory remains damaged we know with 100% probability another 48 tanks will not be built due to lost expansion, and with a probability equal to twice the damage rate it will not produce 2 tanks due to stopped production. The difference between 0% damage and 1 % damage is large, the extra between 1% and 50% is minor. When the Soviet team decide to evacuate the factory the damage will automatically reach 50% - meaning the closer damage already is to 50% the less extra pain they incur. If we actually get to 50% damage there is then no lost opportunity cost of tanks not produced at all, the only cost will be in rail capacity which for a 2 size tank factory is small and at a time when this is less of a constraint. If anything we want to make the choice hard and painful, or even dissuade them from evacuation so we retain the option of continued bombing. This would suggest the optimum damage level for the tank factory each turn is actually 1%, not close to 50%. The only advantage of getting damage levels of 4% or higher is that we "book in" future turns of damage while we can before Soviet defences improve or the weather makes it impossible.

For the first time we add Kuybyshev to our bombing target list. As well as the damage to the vehicle factory we targeted we can see collateral damage to the manpower as well. With the Yak-1 factory at Saratov gone our bombers move on to the vehicle factory there too. This means, together with the vehicle factories at Murom and Yaroslavl, we have been attacking four vehicle factories.

Many thanks to those who gave me errors and corrections to my spreadsheets on Soviet production. In particular I know now when it says production stops in a particular month, there is still production in the first week of that month. These figures are with the new updated understanding - but previous posts are on the old and so may be up to one weeks production out. I will eventually get an updated spreadsheet into the library of WitE resources with these error fixes

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/8/2018 5:07:40 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 244
RE: 8MP Axis T18 - 4/7/2018 4:31:56 PM   
leverkuhn

Amazing frontline reporting as usual, Telemecus

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 245
RE: 8MP Axis T18 - 4/7/2018 5:41:42 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 18 Allocations
For information only - team allocations for turn 18.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 6/2/2018 5:57:45 PM >

(in reply to leverkuhn)
Post #: 246
8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 5:43:54 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 19 29-October-1941 North and Centre

lowsugar stepped down from the Northern command this turn, but we expect to be picking their brains for military advice as a member of the team still going forward. Stelteck will be covering North as well as their Centre command until the new commander arrives

Freak weather this turn - but thankfully not with the first blizzard penalties yet

Pockets continue to be reduced. More elbow room is taken in front of Moscow. And Moscow itself finally falls.

Meanwhile intensive reorganisation is occuring. Eye catching is the extension of Mannerheim's forces well to the south of the Finnish no move line. As well as many German infantry divisions serving under Finnish HQs, German corps HQs are now being assigned to Kannas army. 9th army is now part of AGN meaning AGC now has only 4 armies/panzer groups - so AGC now has a leader whose ratings are effective.

(A worthwhile tip for those who do not know it - when reassigning between nations go through High commands first. For example here reassigning a unit first to OKH for one to three points, then from OKH to Finnish High Command for zero points, and then down from Finnish High Command for zero points is a points saver over doing it directly)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/7/2018 5:44:55 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 247
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 6:22:02 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 19 29-October-1941: The "EXPLANATION"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck
I think it would be better if AGN [lowsugar] and AG[S] [thedude357] commander keep control of their panzer group and forces and use them to rush to moscow on their own,...

The last commander to reach moscow will be summoned by the furher for "explanation"....

Well only one commander got to Moscow. And so the day of reckoning arrived with the team arriving to the Führerbunker to give their "explanation" - luckily it was captured on video.

Click on the photo below to link to the video - you should see the subtitles in English. If not you do need to switch them on to know what they are "really" saying.

This is a joint production for Matrix Forums and Telenovela Channel

(Many thanks to guinea pigs, oops, beta testers who checked this out for me in advance!)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/8/2018 4:00:46 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 248
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 6:46:54 PM   
SparkleyTits

Brilliant I was chuckling all the way through that!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 249
RE: 8MP Axis T18 - 4/7/2018 7:19:33 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Turn 18 22-October-1941 Economic

Remarkably the interceptor factory evacuation continues. The Yak-1 factories at Engels and Saratov are evacuated.

These factories faced no prospects whatsoever of being overun by ground forces in the near future - its evacuation is solely down to our air bombardment.

These factories expand to an eventual capacity of 25 each turn until they stop production in turn 68. If left unhindered the Engels factory would produce 1,465 Yak-1s and the Saratov factory, which had a slightly lower intial capacity, 1,444. We are unlikely to be able to cause further damage to the factory in its new location. The bombing damage together with its evacuation means we expect the Engels factory now in Nizhny Tagil to produce 963 and the Saratov factory now in Nizhny Tagil to only produce 909. This is a net loss of 1,037 Yak-1s. The Yak-1 factory at Tatischevo remains under bombardment with its capacity choked. While our Soviet opponents have prioritised the defence and evacuation of the LaGG-3 factories, presumably because they rate the LaGG3 as a better fighter, the vulnerability of the Yak-1 factories and the disproportionate losses to bombing perhaps means more priority should have been given to them.

The evacuation of these two factories actually increased their damage levels. If there had been no more bombing and no evacuation we expect the Engels factory would have produced 1,147 and the Saratov factory 1,053 or a total net loss of 709 Yak-1s. This is 328 less than will be the case. Implicitly the Soviets have told us they think our continued bombing would have destroyed 329 or more extra Yak-1s. The losses they have already had should tell them it would almost certainly have been much more. They left taking action here much too late. For all the goings on at Gorky it appears they missed the much bigger story at Saratov.

All our bombers continue to operate on repaired rail lines connected to the home rail network using staging bases to extend range. Vehicle conservation is important and for some is a reason to not use the air force at all. Although so far I have not seen it documented a staging base placed somewhere between a bomber base and the target will give a maximum range to target of one and a half times its radius. So our Heinkel bombers, which have a radius of 43 hexes, actually have a maximum range of 64 hexes to a target. Thus we square the circle of both using an air force and not losing vehicles for it.

It may be mud but our strategic bombing campaign continues along the Volga valley and into the West Caucasus.

With the evacuations we are down to only three fighter bomber factories in range. At Gorky the bombing of the hex with the LaGG-3 factory has to be shared with the bombing of the T34 factory

At Stalingrad we continue to choke the expansion of the T34 factory and at South Stalingrad the T60 factory reaches 46% damage. This means at least another three turns of lost producion or an extra 144 T-60 that we know will never be built due to lost expansion.

Which raises the question are we overbombing the T60 factory? Each turn the factory remains damaged we know with 100% probability another 48 tanks will not be built due to lost expansion, and with a probability equal to twice the damage rate it will not produce 2 tanks due to stopped production. The difference between 0% damage and 1 % damage is large, the extra between 1% and 50% is minor. When the Soviet team decide to evacuate the factory the damage will automatically reach 50% - meaning the closer damage already is to 50% the less extra pain they incur. If we actually get to 50% damage there is then no lost opportunity cost of tanks not produced at all, the only cost will be in rail capacity which for a 2 size tank factory is small and at a time when this is less of a constraint. If anything we want to make the choice hard and painful, or even disuade them from evacuation so we retain the option of continued bombing. This would suggest the optimum damage level for the tank factory each turn is actually 1%, not close to 50%. The only advantage of getting damage levels of 4% or higher is that we "book in" future turns of damage while we can before Soviet defences improve or the weather makes it impossble.

For the first time we add Kuybyshev to our bombing target list. As well as the damage to the vehicle factory we targetted we can see collateral damage to the manpower as well. With the Yak-1 factory at Saratov gone our bombers move on to the vehicle factory there too. This means, together with the vehicle factories at Murom and Yaroslavl, we have been attacking four vehicle factories.

The Soviets have all the resources to stop the pain of the bombing. I am surprised this is continuing :(

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 250
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 7:22:23 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

I have seen so many parodies using this now.

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 251
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 7:24:46 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
quote:

This one was screaming out to be done! A world war two wargame - what could be more obvious for the Downfall treatment!

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 252
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 7:27:45 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

This one was screaming out to be done! A world war two wargame - what could be more obvious for the Downfall treatment!

Needed one with Stalin fuming off at the mouth ;-)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 253
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/7/2018 10:03:54 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All you need is a commander named 'Fegelein'.

Post #: 254
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/8/2018 12:54:32 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 19 29-October-1941: The "REWARD"

Meanwhile Stelteck is very happy to hear he will be rewarded for his capture of Moscow - including an all expenses paid night out on the Berlin Cabaret!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 255
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/8/2018 1:12:13 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Turn 19 29-October-1941: The "REWARD"

Meanwhile Stelteck is very happy to hear he will be rewarded for his capture of Moscow - including an all expenses paid night out on the Berlin Cabaret!

I think a better reward would have been a “hair treatment”;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9CgzSxZKY

Or, a chin treatment;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hYg4XaBm6F8

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 256
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/8/2018 3:49:21 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 19 29-October-1941: The "PAPARAZZI"

quote:

I think a better reward would have been a “hair treatment”;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9CgzSxZKY
Or, a chin treatment;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hYg4XaBm6F8

Bizarrely they turned down the painful surgery and went for the all expenses night out on the Cabaret instead. Unfortunately the paparazzi was out in force and took some photos.

Mrs Stelteck has sent an urgent message demanding to know who the young lady in the photo is. And Olga has also sent an urgent message wanting to know who she is too.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/8/2018 4:09:46 PM >

Post #: 257
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/8/2018 5:19:53 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 2 2-July-1941 Air - a retrospective request

quote:

As requested by PM - screenshots of how staging bases were used earlier on in the game on turn 2 - here they are combined with being forward fighter bases. Bases with heavy aircraft such as bombers never leave rails.

with the results

Soviet airbases are stacked and grouped together around Pskow. Stacking reduces the opportunity for bombing to 2 per hex for up to 3 stacked airbases, rather than up to 6 for 3 airbases in different hexes - although arguably bombing is more effective the more aircraft there are in a hex. Concentrating airbases in hexes next to each other allows for mutual assistance with AA fire (perhaps Pskow also has attached AA SUs), air HQs to be near several of their bases at once, and close Soviet fighter interception coverage - but it also allows a staging base to economise on operational miles flown to bombing these local groups of airbases. The battle results indicate little impact from AA fire or fighter interception, so perhaps a dispersal strategy of keeping airbases that are on different hexes wide apart to increase operational miles flown by Luftwaffe bombers would have been better right now. As it is it is in easy German fighter range, and not only can level bombers fly there from a railhead, by using the fighter bases as staging bases the operational miles flown are minimal. Optimally there should be an empty airbase further forward to stage both fighters and bombers. Still at this period the Soviets are offering escorted concentrated bombing targets at very short operational range for bombers on railheads. Added to this the targets contain mostly ready aircraft of our priority models. The I16s and I15s have been mostly sorted to bases on hexes which will be left alone. It seems designed for optimal German bombing impact. IFK alone with 378 ready level bombers bags over 300 kills from just over a dozen bombing runs, mostly of good models, and many more are damaged too.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/8/2018 5:46:44 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 258
8MP Axis - Air Deployment Principles - 4/8/2018 6:11:19 PM   
Telemecus

Air Deployment Principles

As requested a diagram of the idealised way I deploy airbases and airgroups. Of course in practise nothing ever matches the ideal. But at least it demonstrates how you can perpetuate an air offensive with well supplied airbases and airgroups deployed well forward as Axis. All too often Axis air campaigns run out of steam or supply after a dozen turns without active management.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 259
RE: 8MP Axis - Air Deployment Principles - 4/8/2018 7:41:25 PM   
Mamluke

1 - How many Fighter planes to you keep in the forward airbases?

2 - Do you try to cycle the Rail line bases <-> forward bases every turn? or is that decided by the state of fuel/ammo ? for the sake of argument, what quantities are acceptable until a switch becomes necessary?

3 - against an aggressive Soviet air player in the early turns, do you still keep the Fighter planes in the forward air bases?

PS: thanks for posting this retrospect! :)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 260
RE: 8MP Axis - Air Deployment Principles - 4/9/2018 1:04:44 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mamluke
1 - How many Fighter planes to you keep in the forward airbases?

About a third of all your fighter groups. Another third I hope will be available to call out from national reserve at the end of the turn but they will be sent to places you need to defend in your enemies turn - like industry or your own airbases - so often will not be in a forward base until air transferred at the start of your next turn. (note they do arrive saying 100% miles flown but will fly in your enemies turn - and indeed are the freshest/least fatigued airgroups you will have then). Some think that reserving a third of your airforce is a lot - but having only a third of your airforce in tip top low fatigue all ready condition is a lot more than three times as effective as having all your air force on the map but with fatigue plus reserved/damaged airframes. Remember moving in and out of national reserve is also a way of moving your airforce east or west without actually flying at all - so also a fuel saver.

quote:

2 - Do you try to cycle the Rail line bases <-> forward bases every turn? or is that decided by the state of fuel/ammo ? for the sake of argument, what quantities are acceptable until a switch becomes necessary?

I try every turn. It does depend on fuel/ammo use but more importantly depends on how many airgroups you send to reserve so that you will have empty airbases to cycle. Again if a third of your aircraft are sent to national reserve (half of those that start on the map) this means that only half of the airgroups that start on your rail line remain. Plus some airgroups that start on a repaired rail line base may be air transferred forward to a forward air base. So your rail line bases will then be more than half empty. Assuming you can move empty ones up the rail line and air transfer airgroups from other rail lines bases up to them (what Crackaces calls the "Kabuki dance")- you should only need about half of the air bases that start on your rail lines to remain on your rail lines with all your rail line bases airgroups packed in. So you can cycle the rest packed with fuel and ammo, but with no airgroups in them, forward. Very important of course is a similar number of empty ones come back from forward area to complete the cycle. At the end of the turn you can assign bombers and so on from national reserve to your newly arrived rail line bases so they will fill up with fuel and ammo also. The faster this rotation the more fuel and ammo you will have in your airbases. The slower the less you will have overall. As fuel/ammo is nearly always a constraint the optimal is not to wait until a switch is necessary, but to accelerate the rotation as much as you can.

quote:

3 - against an aggressive Soviet air player in the early turns, do you still keep the Fighter planes in the forward air bases?

Yes - but the bases are not so far forward. Depending on how strong your opponent is you may even want to keep your forward bases out of enemy escort range. Or need to move them back after missions before your enemies phase (with airgroups in them - yuck!). Using empty staging bases(which are very forward!) you should still be able to conduct missions as you want to while being out of direct range of the enemy (unless their fighters are much longer range). If your enemy is attacking your airbases you may also want to mix in unimportant airgroups (Axis recon, Soviet U2VS?) with your important air groups in the same bases. However this again might mean a "kabuki"dance at the start of your next turn as you have to then air transfer them for where you want them during your turn.

I should say a lot of this is idealised - and practicalities mean I never quite achieve this. Also to some extent it is based on the Axis side during the good weather in 1941. Even when rail repair reaches your front lines, bases further to the west will still fill up with more fuel and ammo because of the rail repair modifier anyway. As a Soviet player you have the luxury early on of falling back on repaired rail lines and supply always. Nevertheless the issues of how to move forward or back on airbases without moving airgroups overground, how to cycle through national reserve, and how to deploy your airbases optimally for your missions and to counter the enemies remain.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/9/2018 7:13:59 PM >

(in reply to Mamluke)
Post #: 261
RE: 8MP Axis - Air Deployment Principles - 4/9/2018 3:07:02 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Air Deployment Principles

As requested a diagram of the idealised way I deploy airbases and airgroups. Of course in practise nothing ever matches the ideal. But at least it demonstrates how you can perpetuate an air offensive with well supplied airbases and airgroups deployed well forward as Axis. All too often Axis air campaigns run out of steam or supply after a dozen turns without active management.

Layout is similar to a drawing I did. Interesting.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 262
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/9/2018 6:39:34 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

needed to google him

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 263
RE: 8MP Axis T19 - 4/9/2018 7:46:33 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

needed to google him

There is a scene in Downfall where Hitler screams his name and pounds the table...

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 264
RE: 8MP Axis - Air Deployment Principles - 4/9/2018 11:08:57 PM   
ladner

This is fantastic, if you could possible discuss the air base set up in the prior post, it would greatly help those of us getting back into this monster game. This is in reference to Telemecus graphic of the staging principle.

< Message edited by ladner -- 4/9/2018 11:09:58 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 265
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/9/2018 11:41:26 PM   
beender

Sometimes reading your posts i thought there just could not be more helpful ones in the forum.

Apparently i was wrong!

Oh if i may i would like to add a question or an idea of mine. I attached all the fliegerkorps to one air flotte hq so that no problem of staging base at all will occur, and the cost seems to be minimal (range penalty makes the only air flotte hq quite ineffective in leader checks two thirds of the time). Do i miss anything?

< Message edited by beender -- 4/9/2018 11:50:27 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 266
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/10/2018 2:52:17 PM   
Mamluke

quote:

ORIGINAL: beender

Sometimes reading your posts i thought there just could not be more helpful ones in the forum.

Apparently i was wrong!

Oh if i may i would like to add a question or an idea of mine. I attached all the fliegerkorps to one air flotte hq so that no problem of staging base at all will occur, and the cost seems to be minimal (range penalty makes the only air flotte hq quite ineffective in leader checks two thirds of the time). Do i miss anything?

actually,
you see, each Air flotte hq is subordinate to one Army Group, for exe, air flotte 1 is under Army group North, while Air flotte 4 is under army group South.
in order to provide Ground support, the air planes higher HQ NEED to be under the same army group as the attacking ground forces (it seams I was WRONG), other wise ground support will never be done.
in fact, it might even prevent interception as well although this I'm less sure of.

also, I think range for air command seams to be mute. range makes no difference in leader checks, tele can confirm. However range does matter to provide AA support to the air fields and extra support squads.

Edit: it seams I was majorly wrong, the restriction to Army group/front is only to Soviets.
so much to learn.

< Message edited by Mamluke -- 4/10/2018 3:40:56 PM >

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 267
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/10/2018 3:01:10 PM   
beender

quote:

actually, a BIG miss!
you see, each Air flotte hq is subordinate to one Army Group, for exe, air flotte 1 is under Army group North, while Air flotte 4 is under army group South.
in order to provide Ground support, the air planes higher HQ NEED to be under the same army group as the attacking ground forces, other wise ground support will never be done.
in fact, it might even prevent interception as well! although this I'm less sure of. But for ground support, there is no doubt!!

also, I think range for air command seams to be mute. range makes no difference in leader checks, tele can confirm. However range does matter to provide AA support to the air fields and extra support squads.

I knew there was such a restriction for soviet in terms of ground support. For axis i thought only nationality mattered. Need to read the manual to make sure.

(in reply to Mamluke)
Post #: 268
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/10/2018 3:16:53 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ladner
This is in reference to Telemecus graphic of the staging principle.

On staging bases you can find them explained in the manual - 16.1.3.

The key point is that many air missions first consist of airgroups flying to a staging base and then flying from the staging base together to the target and then back again via the staging base. The AI will often select a staging base for air missions it arranges - although often not the one you wanted it to use unless you are careful with airbase placements. However if during your turn you can select an airbase on the map you can force that airbase to be used as the staging base for any air missions you then conduct. And indeed playing the air war well I think you should plan all air missions to be two-stage missions.

There are some restrictions

i) Axis airgroups in a base which is part of an HQ can only stage from bases in that same HQ, bases assigned to its parent HQ, or bases assigned to HQs assigned to its parent HQ. (There will be restrictions for Soviet airgroups that are perhaps better described by an experienced Soviet player)
ii) The staging base must be within the radius of a particular model of aircraft from the airbase it is assigned to, and also in the same radius to the target. (for transport missions the staging base has to be closer than radius)
iii) The distance from originating base to final target cannot be more than one and a half times the radius for that model of aircraft.
iv) Other restrictions such as only recon flying from a recon base and only airgroups of the same nationality also apply to staging bases.
v) Recon staging from LW through army recon or from army recon through LW have further rules which I have not fully worked out - and operate differently for AI and manually.
vi) Interception cannot be with a staging base.

quote:

I attached all the fliegerkorps to one air flotte hq so that no problem of staging base at all will occur, and the cost seems to be minimal...Do i miss anything?

That used to be common practise and would be a good idea... but I thought that had been nerfed in the latest versions? I thought only 8 airbases could be assigned to a flieger korps and 16 in total under a Luftflotte now? I do however make sure the maximum of eight airbases are under my best fligerkorps leader (Richtofen) and many under my best Luflotte leader (Kesselring). It goes without saying my Richtofen bases are priority and not used as empty staging bases!

However staging bases do not supply fuel/ammo to staging airgroups (which I suspect may be a mistake in the game design)

Typically as Axis in summer 1941 I have three types of Luftwaffe bases.
i) Staging bases - completely empty of all airgroups and usually with very little fuel or ammo in them
ii) Rail line bases - usually full of the heaviest types of aircraft, fuel/ammo/supply/support and typically on a repaired rail line hex
iii) Forward bases - for shorter range aircraft (fighters, dive bombers) whose range means they cannot reach the front line from a rail repaired hex.
As from the diagram above you will see airbases cycle between these categories.

My typical set up is to have lots of staging bases right up with the front line. Indeed typically stacked on the front line. And every time my frontline advances, my staging bases move forward with them. This guarantees the furthest reach into your enemy territory for operations like long distance recon and industry bombing. It may also mean - though others may be able to better confirm/deny - that auto missions are more likely if close to the staging base. This would mean more ground support etc.

Typically my rail line bases are at the furthest point of rail repair - usually one turn behind the FBDs. But if your opponent is aware of this setup then you may have to vary it a little so that they cannot automatically know where they are. The start of every turn after sending a lot of airgroups to reserve typically consists of finding one empty rail line base, moving it forward to the end of rail repair, air transfering other heavy airgroups forward so that another rail line base is empty and so on repeating. Eventually you should find all your heavy airgroups air transfered forward to rail line bases at the end of the rail line (not moved overground) plus have a few left over (from the aircraft sent to reserve). You need these bases to have a lot of ammo/fuel/support and supply.

The forward bases are not on rails typically in 1941 for Axis as the frontline advances so much faster than rail repair. But nevertheless you would still want them as close as possible to the rail head (to minimise vehicle use/ maximise supply) while still being in the radius of staging bases. As interception cannot use staging bases you may also want forward bases with fighters to have the frontlines in their radius so you can give them fighter cover when needed.

Using this set up will mean your airgroups can conduct all missions they normally would, either interception from forward bases or all other missions from staging bases. The advantages are
i) The immense saving of vehicles use which means fewer damaged or destroyed - which you will desperately need come the blizzard. Some old AARs advocate not using the air force at all for this reason. But with staging bases you do not need such a drastic solution.
ii) The improved supply. Airbases on or closer to rails get a lot more ammo and fuel. Also airbases further west will get more anyway due to the rail supply modifier. Typically many Axis air offensives run dry when they get far from rails. With staging bases (as well as rotating bases between forward areas and rails) you should always have as much as you need.
iii) Less visibility to the enemy - typically they will know where all your empty staging bases are - but have no idea where your important bases and airgroups are.
iv) The improved defensive posture. Having your airbases further back from the front makes them much more difficult to attack. Indeed in 1941 the Axis has the option to keep them out of range of Soviet fighters (which have a shorter range) altogether. You could choose whether to engage in dogfights over the front lines or be susceptible to fighter sweeps if you want to. But otherwise the Luftwaffe could completely shut up shop far behind enemy lines leaving the only way to be attacked by the Soviet side realistically being unescorted night bombing (while still having the ability to fly missions in your turn!)
v) Economising on air miles. Ideally you should never move an airbase with airgroups in them - which for me often means move them empty to where you want them then air transfer airgroups to it at the start of the turn and do not move them again. BUT you can move staging bases with no aircraft. For example if I am ground bombing a section of the front line I would typically move an empty staging base parallel to the front line before each mission to give the shortest possible route. I used to also think the air miles flown from airbase to staging base actually took a quarter of the miles used compared to the same distance flown afterwards (as non-combat flight is more fuel/miles economical see 16.1.1) however I have to thank EwaldvonKleist for testing this to find it does not. I think it used to and believe it still helps in some way such as reducing fatigue. But at least in the latest version based on miles flown it does not. This is an area I am still investigating. And finally if you are used to moving back airbases from the front at the end of every turn (increasing airgroup miles/fatigue drastically) this way you will not have to.
vi) Less losses from overruns. If the only airbases near the front are low on fuel with no airgroups then you do not care (a lot, or even allot) if the enemy overuns them with ground forces in their turn. I imagine for a Soviet player in 1941 this would be a great benefit.
vii) Perhaps as a corollary to the above, you can consider targets deeper/further to the rear of your enemy.
viii) The possibility of pooling/stochastic economies by concentrating your bomber force in one spot on rails. for example the best freshest bombers could first attack north, then far south and then switch north again. You will never have one airbase with airgroups unused while another was short. And to answer beender

quote:

(range penalty makes the only air flotte hq quite ineffective in leader checks two thirds of the time)...Do i miss anything?

Yes. Take the example of the graphic below from turn 10. The red arrows show second stage air missions, black arrow first stage. Airbases are highlighted in red. You will see the vast bulk of the bombers are based 1 hex or less away from the HQ of Luftflotte 2 - so absolutely no range penalty on almost all of them. The graphic shows some of the air missions conducted in turn 10 with their staging bases. The rail line bases are on repaired rail hexes, so one turn behind the rail repair of FBD3. You will also see an example of one of the forward fighter bases - both giving fighter cover over part of the front and staging as escort for some bomber missions.

quote:

quote:

in order to provide Ground support, the air planes higher HQ NEED to be under the same army group as the attacking ground forces, other wise ground support will never be done.
in fact, it might even prevent interception as well! although this I'm less sure of. But for ground support, there is no doubt!!

I knew there was such a restriction for soviet in terms of ground support. For axis i thought only nationality mattered. Need to read the manual to make sure.

I am with beender here I am afraid. AGN for many turns has had no airgroups and many of their airbases were transfered to FKVIII under Richtofen. But FKVIII and other parts of Lft2 have provide full ground and other support to AGN and even FHC many many times in this game. This is a Soviet restriction - Axis restrictions relate to nationalities. A recent patch did mention trying to fracture the Luftwaffe according to command lines - but I have seen no evidence of it so far.

quote:

I think range for air command seams to be mute. range makes no difference in leader checks, tele can confirm.

True for the first level air command - but not higher levels. If you have an airbase in a flieger korps, its range to luftflotte HQ does matter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/10/2018 7:24:20 PM >

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 269
RE: 8MP Axis - T2 AirWar - 4/10/2018 3:28:20 PM   
beender

quote:

I thought only 8 airbases could be assigned to a flieger korps and 16 in total under a Luftflotte now?

Then there is not much disadvantage, because for me a max of 16 airbases for an air flotte is surely enough.

quote:

However staging bases do not supply fuel/ammo to staging airgroups (which I suspect may be a mistake in the game design)

I agree. But even if they do they probably won't help much since they are often empty.

< Message edited by beender -- 4/10/2018 3:30:58 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 8MP Axis T18 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI