Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/9/2018 9:00:52 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Your plan for the airborne looks like fun. I was having flashbacks of the program Band of Brothers as I was looking at your Carentan thread.
The cozy green countryside of France (bocage area?) gives the war there a comfortable, warm atmosphere. Maybe that area is not quite in the bocage which is further inland I think.

I hope I can play that scenario after I finish trading fire.... a lot of fire... with the Russians hunkered down in the Barrikady factory. I wanna play through all your Barrikady campaign.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 331
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/9/2018 9:02:12 PM   
GiveWarAchance

asl3d, the AI seems quite smart from what I saw in the Barrikady Factory. Russian troops stayed hunkered down out of sight in buildings mostly passing time until near the end of my turn when they opened fire across their line knowing I had no active units left to return fire. Even knowing the Russian affinity for this nasty trick didn't help me cause I had to keep the action going even by exposing troops to fire from active units. Most of my losses were from moving units near enemy positions and attracting heavy fire at close range.

And the Russians sometimes did moves past my units after mine were used or marked as melee so they avoided opportunistic fire. Another smart thing was their use of defensive structures, especially the factories. At the end of battle, the Russian infantry are in a neat, well manned line in strong defensive positions with little or no backup left south in the other buildings which is good for a strong defense but leaves no reserve which they didn't need at the end of the time. Overall I think the AI army did pretty good and decisively held their ground until I ran out of time.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/10/2018 10:34:37 AM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 332
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/10/2018 5:37:13 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Bread Factory 12th Scenario of Historical Module Barrikady is coming.....

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 333
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/10/2018 5:38:38 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

Your plan for the airborne looks like fun. I was having flashbacks of the program Band of Brothers as I was looking at your Carentan thread.
The cozy green countryside of France (bocage area?) gives the war there a comfortable, warm atmosphere. Maybe that area is not quite in the bocage which is further inland I think.

I hope I can play that scenario after I finish trading fire.... a lot of fire... with the Russians hunkered down in the Barrikady factory. I wanna play through all your Barrikady campaign.

Yes GiveWarAchance, "a lot of fire" in Stalingrad. Soviet General Vasilii Chuikov, commander of the Soviet 62nd Army, discovered that if his troops came very close to the German troops, the German superiority of air support and artillery was neutralized. For the first time they fought hand to hand between both armies. The German army had to develop a more "dirty" tactic if it wanted to win. Here the German officers could not easily win with "elegant" flanking maneuvers or mechanized mobility ......

Band of Brothers: The scenario "Les Chemins" will be based on the episode of Lieutenant Winters, protagonist of the magnificent book of the historian Stephen Ambrose, Band of Brothers, to arrive at the meeting point in Les Chemins, in the middle of the night, with soldiers Germans scattered throughout the area and with very few men at their command.

The other scenario, "Sainte Mere Eglise" will be based on the episode magnificently narrated by Cornelius Ryan in his book The Longest Day (also John Wayne acts excellently in the film of the same title).

Finally, the bocage can be found on the "Donville" scenario within the Carentan historical module.

< Message edited by asl3d -- 12/10/2018 5:40:47 PM >

Semper fidelis

Post #: 334
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/10/2018 5:44:15 PM   
asl3d

quote:

asl3d, the AI seems quite smart from what I saw in the Barrikady Factory. Russian troops stayed hunkered down out of sight in buildings mostly passing time until near the end of my turn when they opened fire across their line knowing I had no active units left to return fire. Even knowing the Russian affinity for this nasty trick didn't help me cause I had to keep the action going even by exposing troops to fire from active units. Most of my losses were from moving units near enemy positions and attracting heavy fire at close range.

And the Russians sometimes did moves past my units after mine were used or marked as melee so they avoided opportunistic fire. Another smart thing was their use of defensive structures, especially the factories. At the end of battle, the Russian infantry are in a neat, well manned line in strong defensive positions with little or no backup left south in the other buildings which is good for a strong defense but leaves no reserve which they didn't need at the end of the time. Overall I think the AI army did pretty good and decisively held their ground until I ran out of time.

Hello GiveWarAchance,

Regarding Artificial Intelligence I was referring to what is usually recommended is that the side that plays the attack should have an advantage ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 (that's what the doctrine says). However, I have had to balance in favor of the Artificial Intelligence so that the game is balanced (1:1 or 2:3).

Another solution is to shorten the duration of the scenarios, that is, to leave less turns to the commander of the side that attacks so that it is more difficult for him to regroup and move his forces from one sector to another.

The first Barrikady scenarios I decided to block the position of the Russian defenders so that they did not make movements that distanced them from the of defensive strengths. I just checked that in Barrikady Factory the Russians have freedom of movement. I'm glad to know that they have behaved smartly, like good soldiers .....

Semper fidelis

Post #: 335
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/10/2018 6:23:59 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Ya I was impressed by the discipline of the Russians in holding their defensive positions. They only rarely moved a unit and usually at the end of my turn so had only occasional long distance op fire chances that usually missed. The only place the were moving was in the left side of the map mostly near the top. It seems they were trying flank my troops on the west end who were focused on attacking south towards the factory buildings. If a human player had played like the Russians did in that scenario, I would think it was a fairly good player.

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/10/2018 6:25:19 PM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 336
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/10/2018 7:52:21 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Ya I was impressed by the discipline of the Russians in holding their defensive positions. They only rarely moved a unit and usually at the end of my turn so had only occasional long distance op fire chances that usually missed. The only place the were moving was in the left side of the map mostly near the top. It seems they were trying flank my troops on the west end who were focused on attacking south towards the factory buildings. If a human player had played like the Russians did in that scenario, I would think it was a fairly good player.

However, in this scenario the Soviet units have freedom of action. That is to say, the Artificial Intelligence acts on its own, without external programming. His movements are free, without influence (at least mine).
Well, I give up. I accept that Artificial Intelligence is intelligent (but not human, OK?).

Semper fidelis

Post #: 337
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 2:53:19 AM   
GiveWarAchance

I'm sure if a human was managing the Soviet side, I would have done a lot worse. But to be honest, I probably would have defended the same way the AI did in if I was the Russians except maybe I would put in more counterattacks just for fun cause I tend to attack a lot.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 338
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 4:37:59 AM   
GiveWarAchance

I am watching this video about the drive to Stalingrad to help improve my Barrikady game. The narrator dude plays these Matrix games mostly Order of Battle. His videos about WW2 are quite good and he has his own fresh theories and ideas. I'm hoping after I watch his videos that I will have enough knowledge to complete the drive into the Barrikady factories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr6dD8fvVY&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDjAqTUCmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USCyLcjdH4s

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/11/2018 4:40:23 AM >

Post #: 339
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 6:18:22 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Bread Factory is developed around Bread Factory

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 340
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 6:37:07 PM   
asl3d

quote:

I'm sure if a human was managing the Soviet side, I would have done a lot worse. But to be honest, I probably would have defended the same way the AI did in if I was the Russians except maybe I would put in more counterattacks just for fun cause I tend to attack a lot.

Hello GiveWarAchance.

AI:

It is good news that you affirm that the Artificial Intelligence of the game has a human conduct when it comes to setting a game strategy. Until now I had the opposite impression.

"Attack a lot":

I also have a tendency to attack a lot, maybe too much and too aggressive. However, I think that in this game is not a bad idea.

Really, such a conduct is not very human, although heroic. In the board game Advanced Squad Leader there is the concept of Battlefield Integrity. It is the idea that in most wargames, a side often fights on to the last counter regardless of the punishment the parent formation has taken. In reality, however, this is seldom the case. A combat formation, as a whole, will take only so much punishment before it disintegrates into a panic stricken mob. The effect is heightened if casualties have been disproportion-ately high among the leaders.

Heroes of Stalingrad does not take into account the Battlefield Integrity, so you can lose a large part of your units and keep fighting as if nothing had happened. Little human, no ?.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 341
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 6:42:47 PM   
jnmdwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: asl3d

Deployment of Support Weapons US Paratroopers near Carentan

Very nice I like very much figures wiew a view of the top specialy tank guns and vehicles, also very nice the size and the time that you did to have all figures on the same scale, myself have a lot of these figures but here I found it already on the same scale, if you need help let me know have perhaps some that you are looking for but I doubt cos yours are already ready !!

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 342
RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 8:02:35 PM   
asl3d

quote:

I am watching this video about the drive to Stalingrad to help improve my Barrikady game. The narrator dude plays these Matrix games mostly Order of Battle. His videos about WW2 are quite good and he has his own fresh theories and ideas. I'm hoping after I watch his videos that I will have enough knowledge to complete the drive into the Barrikady factories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr6dD8fvVY&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDjAqTUCmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USCyLcjdH4s

Hello GiveWarAchance,

Yes, it may be a good idea.
I have not seen them yet but these Christmas Holidays I will see them with attention.
Thank you very much.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 343
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/11/2018 8:18:14 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnmdwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: asl3d

Deployment of Support Weapons US Paratroopers near Carentan

Very nice I like very much figures wiew a view of the top specialy tank guns and vehicles, also very nice the size and the time that you did to have all figures on the same scale, myself have a lot of these figures but here I found it already on the same scale, if you need help let me know have perhaps some that you are looking for but I doubt cos yours are already ready !!

quote:

jnmdwn

Hello jnmdwn,

Thank you very much for your words and, above all, for your offer.

If you want to participate in the development of this mod, I attached you the list of needs by orde of urgency:

1) The next historical module will be Omaha. The mod already has most of the German units, or at least, the best known.
However, the army of the United States only has the paratroopers, the support weapons, the anti-tank gun of 57 millimeters (as you can see in the image), and the Sherman tanks.
If you have US infantry figures, vehicles and/or guns, it would be a good help for me.

2) The next historical module will be about the Warsaw Ghetto most likely. The idea is to provide the partisans who fought in the countries occupied by Germany (in the PTO I do not know if also fought resistance forces that was fighting against the Japanese Army)

3) Later, the next historical module will be, probably, about the war in the Philippines. This is the time to realize the army of the Rising Sun and the Marines.

If you want I follow ......

Semper fidelis

(in reply to jnmdwn)
Post #: 344
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/12/2018 1:24:20 AM   
GiveWarAchance

That makes sense about using depleted units is asking too much. I know what you mean about units not holding up after heavy losses. Even Japanese troops abandoned positions and tried to escape during lulls when the Marines were rolling up their lines. But I remember reading some cases of Russian units continuing to fight despite losing 50% or more of unit strength.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 345
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/12/2018 7:02:02 PM   
asl3d

New Documents Pack of Heroes and Leaders mod coming soon

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 346
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/12/2018 8:19:38 PM   
asl3d

quote:

That makes sense about using depleted units is asking too much. I know what you mean about units not holding up after heavy losses. Even Japanese troops abandoned positions and tried to escape during lulls when the Marines were rolling up their lines. But I remember reading some cases of Russian units continuing to fight despite losing 50% or more of unit strength.

I agree with what you say.
Battlefield Integrity is a concept that tries to prevent a player (human) from sacrificing most of their units without having consequences. The Battlefield Integrity progressively reduces the morale of the units as their attack or defense force decreases, especially their Leaders.
But the game does not take it into account ..........

Semper fidelis

Post #: 347
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/14/2018 5:16:45 PM   
asl3d

The new release of Documents by “Heroes and Leaders mod Documents” is already available in the thread “Heroes and Leaders mod Documents,” in the post # 1:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415998

1.- H&L Scenarios Collection Carentan, version of January 9, 2018

2.- H&L Scenarios Collection Barrikady, version of December 12, 2018

3.- H&L Terrain Chart, release of December 12, 2018

4.- H&L Tutorial, release of December 12, 2018

5.- H&L Units Catalog 1 Soviet Army, version of December 12, 2018.

6.- H&L Units Catalog 2 German Army, version of December 12, 2018.

7.- H&L Units Catalog 3 US Army, version of September 2, 2018.

8.- H&L Readme, release of January 9, 2018.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 348
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/15/2018 6:53:46 PM   
asl3d

The Barrikady Factory of Stalingrad Scenario Tutorial is available in the Thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4569175

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 349
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/17/2018 4:17:38 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Thank you for the Barrikady information document.
It will be easy to view now before a battle so I don't need to desperately speed read ingame.

Your work on those documents is very professional with good pictures from Stalingrad coupled with interesting reading and the units involved. It is impressive to see such excellent work on a user-made mod.

In the Barrikady Stalinaya battle, it was a fierce tank battle which is unusual in Stalingrad. It looks like the battle was almost equal in damage received.
In the Tsaritsa battle, it is sad to hear those 300 infiltrators were eliminated by the merciless Russian attack. That must have been a very desperate little battle.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 350
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/17/2018 4:51:02 AM   
GiveWarAchance

The units catalogs have units for the whole of WW2 including latewar stuff. Are those latewar units in the computer game or only in the boardgame?

That German Sdkfz with the 88 gun on it should have been used more. It says the last one was lost in March 1943, but it was useful cause it could change position after firing to avoid artillery fire. I think that was a good truck and should have made more of them. I guess the Nashorn was the improved version of it.

Post #: 351
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/17/2018 6:48:26 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Thank you for the Barrikady information document.
It will be easy to view now before a battle so I don't need to desperately speed read ingame.

Your work on those documents is very professional with good pictures from Stalingrad coupled with interesting reading and the units involved. It is impressive to see such excellent work on a user-made mod.

In the Barrikady Stalinaya battle, it was a fierce tank battle which is unusual in Stalingrad. It looks like the battle was almost equal in damage received.
In the Tsaritsa battle, it is sad to hear those 300 infiltrators were eliminated by the merciless Russian attack. That must have been a very desperate little battle.

Tsaritsa:
In real history, it seems that no German soldier managed to return to his own defensive lines.
In the game there is some possibility of withdrawing at least some units. Here the resource of the Close Combat does not serve much. The best thing is to use the protection fire of the MG that covers the retreat. Some men will have to stay to resist the "berserk" attack of the Russians.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 352
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/17/2018 7:04:13 PM   
asl3d

quote:

The units catalogs have units for the whole of WW2 including latewar stuff. Are those latewar units in the computer game or only in the boardgame?

That German Sdkfz with the 88 gun on it should have been used more. It says the last one was lost in March 1943, but it was useful cause it could change position after firing to avoid artillery fire. I think that was a good truck and should have made more of them. I guess the Nashorn was the improved version of it.

Units catalogs:

I do not have any LnL board games, so I can not answer that.
I have done the OB of the entire German army and also of the Soviet army, thinking of the future Historical Modules.
But, thinking about it better, I think it is more practical to add the units that are needed every Historical Modules are published. This is simpler and also more practical. This is what I am going to do with the OB of the American army. The same for the partisans.

German Sdkfz with the 88 gun:

I very much agree with what you say about the 88 gun over the SdKfz. If you look at the German AVAILABILITY OF VEHICLES Part II table, just as the "SdKfz 8 Bo 88L AT" becomes rare (May 1943) , it begins to be available, without restrictions of rarity, the Nashorn Bo 88LL TD.
Surely that is what you are saying.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 353
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/18/2018 12:29:05 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Ya I love the Nashorn. That gun was so powerful like on a Jagdpanther or King Tiger, as long as they kept the vehicle a long ways away from the Russians. But that Sdkfz 88 would be a lot cheaper to make I think.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 354
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/18/2018 6:34:50 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Ya I love the Nashorn. That gun was so powerful like on a Jagdpanther or King Tiger, as long as they kept the vehicle a long ways away from the Russians. But that Sdkfz 88 would be a lot cheaper to make I think.

Surely the SdKfz 8 would be cheaper than the Nashorn, Jagdpanther or King Tiger.
Here you have the characteristics of all of them for H&L mod. Note that the 88 millimeter cannon has the same efficiency for all of them, although it is a bit smaller in the case of SdKfz 8.
The difference is in the armor. The Nashorn is the most vulnerable while the King Tiger is the most protected. The SdKfz 8 has hardly any protection.
Although, in HoS the silhouette of the vehicle is not taken into account, but in ASL it is considered. Also, the most exposed is the SdKfz 8.

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 355
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/19/2018 2:09:11 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Those stats look just right. I know the 88 on the Nash, Jagd and Tiger II was quite long so it had more penetration power than on a regular Tiger tank or that little SdKfz 88L AT truck.
The 1 for armor on the truck makes sense too cause it was basically the same as a civilian vehicle by the looks of it. And the Nashorn was very vulnerable too so your stats look good.

I am wondering why the SdKfz 88 is more exposed? I would think the Nashorn and Tiger II are the most exposed cause they are quite big and twice the size of that truck. That boardgame must be very complex to play cause you don't have a computer crunching the numbers for you. Was it hard to manage?

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 356
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/19/2018 5:11:47 PM   
asl3d

The new pack of Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod is already available in the thread “Scenarios for Heroes and Leaders mod,” in the post # 1:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4374224

List of scenarios contained in this pack:

“Barrikady Bread Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 18, 2018
“Barrikady Mashinnya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of December 8, 2018
“Barrikady Factory,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 29, 2018
“Barrikady South,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 12, 2018
“Barrikady North,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of November 09, 2018
“Barrikady Yanvarya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 30, 2018
“Barrikady Stalinaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 20, 2018
“Barrikady Tsaritsa,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 12, 2018
“Barrikady Skulpturny,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of October 03, 2018
“Barrikady Sormosk,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 21, 2018
“Barrikady Tramvanaya,” for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of September 9, 2018

List of scenarios published and contained in the Core of Heroes and Leaders mod:

“Barrikady West”, for Historical Module 2 Barrikady, version of August 29, 2018
"Donville", for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
"Graignes", for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Carentan town”, for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Ingouf farm”, for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018
“Brecourt Manor”, for Historical Module 1 Carentan, version of August 29, 2018

Semper fidelis

Post #: 357
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/19/2018 5:33:16 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Those stats look just right. I know the 88 on the Nash, Jagd and Tiger II was quite long so it had more penetration power than on a regular Tiger tank or that little SdKfz 88L AT truck.
The 1 for armor on the truck makes sense too cause it was basically the same as a civilian vehicle by the looks of it. And the Nashorn was very vulnerable too so your stats look good.

SdKfz 88 is more exposed?

I am enclosing the SdKfz 8 Bo 88L AT of the "H & L Units Catalog 2 German Army" (page 134).
It is a SdKfz in which an anti-aircraft gun 88LL has been placed. If you look at the silhouette of the vehicle, you can see that it is very slender. This means that it is an easy target.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 12/19/2018 5:37:21 PM >

Semper fidelis

Post #: 358
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/20/2018 3:10:44 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Wow 20 tons of weight for that little vehicle. I guess the gun itself is super heavy. The report about the SdKfz 88 sounds very positive. I guess later the level of artillery and air support used by the enemy made this vehicle too vulnerable but I think camouflaged at long range from the front line it would have still been effective against tanks.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 359
RE: Heroes and Leaders mod - 12/20/2018 5:45:35 PM   
asl3d

Sixth information panel for Barrikady Arbatovskaya scenario

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: News from Heroes and Leaders mod Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI