Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Dutch are the first to Die!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/12/2017 7:07:06 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

How did ya get the [R]estricted unit to Paramushiro? Or you changed it to 5th fleet, then to Gen.Defence once it was on the island?
I usually base the Air HQ at Ominato (built to AF 4 asap) with some Nells, Betties etc., while keeping search and ASW wings at Bihoro, Kushiro or somewhere around there. That way, those 1st line bases are not threatened by a surprise air/naval bombardment.

If you transport 11th Air Fleet JNAFs (which are not restricted) to these bases, you can switch then the base itself from the command of 5th fleet to the command of general defense (for a small pp cost). You can then air-transport some restricted units to the Kuriles, including at least 2 brigades from Honshu (the 62nd and 64th, if I remember correctly).

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 1021
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/12/2017 7:21:17 PM   
Lord_Calidor

My LCU spreadsheet tells me 27th JNAF AF Unit originally belongs to 12th Air Flotilla, which is temporary (R)estricted. So I guess he changed it to 11th Air Flotilla, or some other unrestriced (for 44 PPs, spreadsheet also tells me), then to General Defence?
Or DBB is different to Scen 1/2 in that regard?

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1022
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/12/2017 7:26:56 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

My LCU spreadsheet tells me 27th JNAF AF Unit originally belongs to 12th Air Flotilla, which is temporary (R)estricted. So I guess he changed it to 11th Air Flotilla, or some other unrestriced (for 44 PPs, spreadsheet also tells me), then to General Defence?
Or DBB is different to Scen 1/2 in that regard?

I believe the naval guns at Paramushiro allow that particular base to be changed without transporting any 11th Fleet units there, if I recall correctly. I change over all of the bases in that region to general defense eventually, and I remember Paramushiro being one of the easiest and first to change.

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 1023
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/13/2017 5:40:58 PM   
Lowpe

Lets see, I switched over Paramushiro to General, then switched the air base to General...to save PP.

I got to thinking the Allies might be aiming to take out the oil at Sakhalin...

Paramushiro won't get any troops flown in, instead I decided to bolster Sakhalin...I didn't want to fly transports into 3 carriers for instance.

Should be an interesting turn....I finally got it back to Obvert....daughter is graduating college so very busy last few days.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1024
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/15/2017 12:51:54 PM   
Lowpe

Jan 20, 1042

Not an invasion, but a carrier raid...the bombers hit Attu. I did a good job of clearing out the shipping.

Other news sweeps didn't fly over Singers, and I lost 30+ IJA bombers. Allied 4E beasties pound the oil at Djambi...his best day yet getting many oil hits. Allied bases where the beasts fly from are bombed by Japanese planes, but only runway hits scored.

I am going to steal a M-M tactic and build up Kuriles & Sakhalin now, especially since I have started.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1025
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:00:53 AM   
Lowpe

Jan 21, 1942

Tanaka is frustrated. Hunting the ABDA forces with a potent heavy cruiser force he has yet to see battle....but tonight, we steam into Singapore...the den of the devil.

Tanaka gets the fight he was looking for! Straight at em!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1026
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:02:18 AM   
Lowpe

The Marblehead founders and goes down, the other two light cruisers (Honolulu and Phoneix) are burning brightly.

Full Pursuit...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1027
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:23:32 AM   
Lowpe

The furious fights continue around Singers...Lightnings are especially tough as is the never ending 4E bombers the Allies seem to have.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1028
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:27:21 AM   
Lowpe

Naval Intelligence confirms all three light cruisers (Marblehead, Honolulu and Phoenix) sunk!

Tanaka didn't lose a ship. And only hit one mine!

The carnage continues!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1029
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:31:07 AM   
Lowpe

Bloodbath!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1030
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 12:34:13 AM   
Lowpe

Scratch two Brooklyn class cruisers! Tanaka!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1031
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 6/18/2017 1:06:42 AM   
Lowpe

More damaged ships...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1032
Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:20:29 AM   
Lowpe

I sent this amphibious task force north full speed to get away from Allied carriers..and they started to unload supply on the beach...activating Soviets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/18/2017 1:30:19 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1033
Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:32:45 AM   
Lowpe

This war just got really wild.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1034
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:09:55 AM   
SqzMyLemon

How did you not get attacked by the CD guns at Singapore? I remember in my game against Francois I sent a small surface force of four DDs into Singapore and every one of them was sunk by CD fire. I wonder if the fact that there was an Allied surface force in the hex somehow prevents the CD guns coming into play. Pure speculation on my part. To be honest, I don't remember if the small force I sent into Singapore actually interdicted an Allied TF. All I know is I lost every ship.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 6/18/2017 2:11:05 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1035
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:12:52 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Are you sure you wouldn't want to redo the turn? That must upset your entire strategy...no?

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1036
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:23:02 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

How did you not get attacked by the CD guns at Singapore? I remember in my game against Francois I sent a small surface force of four DDs into Singapore and every one of them was sunk by CD fire.

That is an excellent question. Tanaka's force would have been highly vulnerable to 15" shells.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 1037
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:27:28 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

They will be in Port Arthur in weeks. There must be thousands of T-34's, although you have to admit it is interesting.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1038
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:35:54 AM   
JeffroK

At this point I dont think there are any T34 available, thousands of BT7's though which are probably better than any IJA AFV.

Should be fun, I doubt the Red Army can do more than move up to your defenses at this point, it will be different later though!!!!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1039
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:42:04 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Oh, Jan 42.

You are right. Somehow I thought this was much later. Even so the Soviet Rifle Divisions and artillery are not trivial. In May the Red Air Force gets Il-2

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1040
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 2:52:16 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Well, if there is no do-over you should reduce and capture Valdivostock.

Bloody petulant of the Russians to declare war just for dropping off some crates of dried fish heads.

Post #: 1041
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 4:13:54 AM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Well, if there is no do-over you should reduce and capture Valdivostock.

Bloody petulant of the Russians to declare war just for dropping off some crates of dried fish heads.

That would be near impossible to do.

Post #: 1042
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 6:11:21 AM   
SierraJuliet

I've been in the lurkers gallery and enjoying the very entertaining start to your war. I will be very interested to see how you deal with active Soviets if indeed that is where this game is heading. It will be a challenge but it does open up some unexpected situations. The Soviet air fleet is indeed a bear. Their fighters, in general, are a nimble bunch but the Mig-3 is a tough one with enough gun power to make it trouble. You will need your Zeros and Oscar to deal with those agile fighters. Mr Tojo is the plane you need to counter the Mig-3. Once you get on top of his fighters you will start to whittle away at their numbers. The bomber fleet is huge and will crush you with numbers - best to work out which airfields you must keep open and protect them. The short range of the Soviet fighters does help working out which close range AFs to protect but you have a number of bases with industry and the like that those bombers easily reach... even the Home Islands are well within their range.

Do you have a house rule about the basing of US assets on Soviet territory? That would be a game changer if they turned up.

With the war still so young Sakhalin is a must to take. You will need to find some firepower to take it but knocking over Alexandrovsk will set you up to seize and develop those oil fields at Okha. I would recommend considering Petropavlovsk too. A small amount of oil but close enough to be worth it over the period of 4 years. Also look at it as being the bastion to anchor your defence of the Kuriles.

You have plenty of LCUs available to you and still early enough that fort levels are not going to be a huge impediment.

The plentiful Soviet submarine arm is certainly cause for concern and you will have to re evaluate shipping routes and anti submarine assets in and around the Home Islands.

My 2 cents worth and if this Soviet thing does blow up into full on war.... good luck. Perhaps though you might negotiate and keep it a quiet front but once which could erupt at the whim of either player.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1043
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:09:56 PM   
Lowpe

We are in discussions....

1. Full Soviet war
2. Do nothing...behave as if Soviets aren't activated
3. Redo turn & try to get everything right but for the unloading.

Will anything crazy happen if we do 2?

War with Soviets is very intriguing...but it seems like a lot of work in the short term. So many clicks!

I think I can check the Manchuko garrison thru Tracker.

Obvert is heading away for a break...the frantic pace of the war has worn him out and he needs a vacation. So I guess we will banter back and forth and figure out what is best.

PS: I sent the replay and CR to Obvert so he can have full information.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/18/2017 1:11:57 PM >

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 1044
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:11:12 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

How did you not get attacked by the CD guns at Singapore? I remember in my game against Francois I sent a small surface force of four DDs into Singapore and every one of them was sunk by CD fire. I wonder if the fact that there was an Allied surface force in the hex somehow prevents the CD guns coming into play. Pure speculation on my part. To be honest, I don't remember if the small force I sent into Singapore actually interdicted an Allied TF. All I know is I lost every ship.

I bombarded Singers twice...one with a battleship and once with a cruiser force. Singers doesn't scare me!

This is the extended map...so the waters are a little different there now.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 1045
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:13:29 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

Are you sure you wouldn't want to redo the turn? That must upset your entire strategy...no?

Since my strategy is World Domination, I don't think it conflicts...makes extra work, though.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 1046
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:14:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

In May the Red Air Force gets Il-2

And I will have Nicks. Take that!

Post #: 1047
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 1:19:52 PM   
JocMeister

I don´t think you want the soviets activated. The amount of supply you will burn will be tremendous.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1048
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 5:38:51 PM   
Alfred

quote:

We are in discussions....

1. Full Soviet war
2. Do nothing...behave as if Soviets aren't activated
3. Redo turn & try to get everything right but for the unloading.

Will anything crazy happen if we do 2? ...

Not crazy but you will most definitely not like what will happen. The Chinese will probably be able to evict Japan from China by the end of 1942. Only by massively reinforcing with troops, air units and supply will you hae any chance of holding line. These reinforcements will leave you with nothing for operations to capture the SRA.

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1049
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/18/2017 7:34:52 PM   
Drakanel

In my opinion, just go with option 3.

Really, it was an accident and I'm sure Obvert will understand that. Having the soviets activated will massively change things for you, and not in a good way I think.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI